Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why Do Some Or Most Sunnis Hate Bashar Al Assad?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Salamu Alaikum my Muslim brothers and sisters in Islam. I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question.

I brought up this question so that I may understand from the Sunni perspective to why the some or most Sunni Muslims hate Bashar Al Assad, the president of Syria.

I rarely watch the news about what's happening around the world. I've been reading some facebook comments lately and most of my sunni friends express their hatred towards this man. Some of my shia friends were supporting him however I was confused about why my sunni friends were against him. Feel free to have discussion about it, my purpose is to reach the truth.

If you have an accusation or anything to say negative in regards to Bashar Al Assad I would like you to reference for me if possible where you get your information from. Please correct me if I have mentioned anything wrong.

If you're someone who lives in Syria then it'll be really helpful for me to have an insight of the conditions of your country.

Wa'Alaikum Misalam

• Advanced Member

No doubt you need to post of on political forum .

But you need To read more on Halabsha and what his dad did to it .

It is not Sunni Shia

It is people vs gov

Not to say that they were as bad as saddam

All you need to do was walk the streets and see what an opreessive regim controls your food , water and heck even freedom of speech

Shia like him bec he represents power and not 10o% leaning to Sunni

His family has ruled the country for the last forty years. You can only imagine the kind of political power he has assumed for himself and to what extent he's willing to hold on to his throne. He's a dictator, simple as that. It's about people wanting a more fair, transparent government. However, the media makes it a Shi'ite vs. Sunni thing, even though I certainly would not call Assad a "Shi'ite". Iran and many of the scholars there support the regime of Assad as it's pro-Hezbollah and, more importantly, anti-Israel. So, they're willing to overlook his crimes because they would have a lot to lose if he goes down. That's why most Shi'ite favor Assad or, at least, show a disinterest in the uprisings.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

Radical elements have made this a 'religious' matter. This is strictly political and religion should be left out.

http://www.almanar.com.lb/english/adetails.php?fromval=1&cid=23&frid=23&eid=81416

Because Sunnis are the dumbest and most gullible people on the planet. Some news channel or Israeli puppet mufti tells them Bashar Al-Assad is a war criminal or that he's engaged in a war against Sunnis, and like the sheep they are they buy into the propaganda.

Here's one funny propaganda video made by the FSA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPfrDGNTsy0

It claims 'Bashar Al-Assads soldiers' are making fun of Islam in a mosque. Only a child would believe something so utterly fake. "Hey guys, let's make fun of Islam in a mosque, tape ourselves and upload it to Youtube!"

Its not only Sunnis who hate Bashar - I am a Shia and hate Bashar too, as well as every dictator in the world out there (and let us be honest, Bashar is a leftist, secularist dictator). However, the FSA is arguable worse and will turn Syria into a civil war zone.

How is he a dictator when he has given protesters (and I mean real protesters, not FSA terrorists) everything the've demanded of him? The real protests ended soon after they started because he agreed to all their demands right away.

• Advanced Member

How is he a dictator when he has given protesters (and I mean real protesters, not FSA terrorists) everything the've demanded of him? The real protests ended soon after they started because he agreed to all their demands right away.

How is he a dictator??? Very easy: They do not have any way for the people to have a say in how they are ruled. His father seized power in a coup (very much like Saqifa) and Bashar inherited it (very much like Umar).

And maybe the protests ended after the protestors were taken away and had their arms, legs and other parts broken by the secret police.

Also all the top government and army jobs are taken by a small religious cult to which Bashar and his father belongs.

All of these sound like a dictatorship to me.

• Advanced Member

Some Shia are such hypocrites. They are willing to support a mass murderer - Bashar Al Assad - yes this is a fact - his army have killed thousands of innocent Syrians, just because he is a Shia/Alawi and his victims are Sunni.

Shia think that Bashar isn't a dictator..hmm so how did he come into power? Was he democratically elected? No. Does he allow any

other parties to have a share in power in the Syrian government? No. Does he have an appalling human rights record? Yes. Sounds like a dictator to me. Bashar and his father have ruled for 40 years in an oppressive regime, much like Saddam Hussein's. Yet the hypocritical Shia are happy to side with Bashar but held a major grudge against Saddam for committing less crimes than Bashar's regime have now committed.

You Shia need to fear Allah (swt) and stop living for the Dunya and your own agendas.

• Advanced Member

Some Shia are such hypocrites. They are willing to support a mass murderer - Bashar Al Assad - yes this is a fact - his army have killed thousands of innocent Syrians, just because he is a Shia/Alawi and his victims are Sunni.

It pains me very much that a Sunni, probably one who hates Shias, is on the side of truth and logic, while many Shia have chosen to stand on the extremely fragile platform of lies, because usually it is always the opposite case.

Bashar and his father's regime really have massacred tens of thousands of people and tortured and oppressed hundreds of thousands. And it is a fact that he is an oppressor - a Zalim.

It is extremely shameful to see Shias still support Bashar or hide or refrain from mentioning his crimes, or that of his father. Oppose the FSA, yes, by all means, highlight their nature and crimes and actions. But do the same for Bashar. Don't just highlight the crimes of FSA and pretend that Bashar is innocent.

• Advanced Member

Because he and his father have collectively killed, imprisoned, tortured, and exiled millions of people.

There is no doubt that Assad is a butcher but was Saddam any different? So how come Sunnis had no problem while he was running around raping, killing and looting the people of Iraq? How dare does Qadrawi (an important scholar) recited his eulogy in endearing terms?

This is pure double standard and sect based argument.

There is no doubt that Assad is a butcher but was Saddam any different? So how come Sunnis had no problem while he was running around raping, killing and looting the people of Iraq? How dare does Qadrawi (an important scholar) recited his eulogy in endearing terms?

This is pure double standard and sect based argument.

So shouldn't we be better than that then?

• Advanced Member

So shouldn't we be better than that then?

Rhetorical question but those that are monitoring this event unfolding are aware its not as simple. Lets first establish if this is a political or religious discusion.

The point still remains that Sunnis kept their mouths shut while Saddam was dishing it out and now they want to choose sides and talk about oppression. Even last year they applauded the assistance from Saudi in favor of bahrain against a majority! Why? cause the oppressed were Shias. Surely we should be better then them but the other party needs to display some sort of self awareness/responsibility.

• Advanced Member

Rhetorical question but those that are monitoring this event unfolding are aware its not as simple. Lets first establish if this is a political or religious discusion.

The point still remains that Sunnis kept their mouths shut while Saddam was dishing it out and now they want to choose sides and talk about oppression. Even last year they applauded the assistance from Saudi in favor of bahrain against a majority! Why? cause the oppressed were Shias. Surely we should be better then them but the other party needs to display some sort of self awareness/responsibility.

The muslim brotherhood in Iraq didn't keep their mouths shut (although they did not revolt). However, many of them were executed much like the Shia were.

• Advanced Member

The muslim brotherhood in Iraq didn't keep their mouths shut (although they did not revolt). However, many of them were executed much like the Shia were.

MB has their own agenda and has nothing do to with the plight of the Shias of Iraq otherwise they wouldnt be rallying even now. secondly, its branch Hamas was enjoying the fruits of Syria until this whole anti-Assad strike where they saw a political view to take advantage off.

• 1 month later...
  • Basic Members

Saddam Hussein executed thousands of Sunnis also, so to say that Saddam was only harsh with Shia is false.

But to answer your question: are you serious? The Assad family has killed thousands of Syrian citizens, and used the "resistance" excuse to do so. People who believe that a dictator like Assad or Saddam need to kill their own people to fight Israel are the real sheep!

• Advanced Member
On 1/28/2013 at 11:26 PM, Hussein Alhaddad said:

Salamu Alaikum my Muslim brothers and sisters in Islam. I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question.

I brought up this question so that I may understand from the Sunni perspective to why the some or most Sunni Muslims hate Bashar Al Assad, the president of Syria.

I rarely watch the news about what's happening around the world. I've been reading some facebook comments lately and most of my sunni friends express their hatred towards this man. Some of my shia friends were supporting him however I was confused about why my sunni friends were against him. Feel free to have discussion about it, my purpose is to reach the truth.

If you have an accusation or anything to say negative in regards to Bashar Al Assad I would like you to reference for me if possible where you get your information from. Please correct me if I have mentioned anything wrong.

If you're someone who lives in Syria then it'll be really helpful for me to have an insight of the conditions of your country.

Wa'Alaikum Misalam

Most of Sunnis donot know about Bashar Al Asad.

Sunni donot know , he is shia, sunni and other.

Wahabi (deobandi, salafi and other branches of wahabism) are fighting against him, because for Wahabism, Sex, Money and for Israel .

They also want to Hijack Syria because they want to destroy shrines of Muslim ahlul Bayt and others.

I am Sunni.

• 1 year later...
  • Basic Members

Hello Muslim friends - Bismillah,

you might call me an "infidel", since I am neither a Muslim, nor of any other religion. I am a German Muslim-sympathizer, since I travelled in many Muslim countries. Morocco, Algeria, Afghanistan, Tunesia, Egypt, Mauretania, Pakistan, India, Mali and other Muslim countries in West-Africa. I have lots of respect for you and your culture - your religion included. Actually a friend of mine from Mauretania want me to convert to Islam and I will possibly do it, when in the country next time (Mauretania is the country, where I have the word "MURAQAD" from).

I came to this site, because I was googling why Assad is so much hated by Sunni's (for the most part). Then I was surprised how civil and how educated and social people are posting here. Really impressive!

I read the first 10-15 posts and I must admit, that I did not read any serious argument, why Assad is the dictator his enemies say he is.

It's funny - I like the guy, when I hear him in interviews, not that this means really too much. But he too, like you, is very educated, civil. logic and I got the impression that it is not difficult for me to "trust him", to believe it is true, what he says. Take the "poison-gas" attacks. As far as I know, it is already proven history that it was not Assad, but the "rebels" who did this in order to blame it on Assad. And who organized it? The BIGGEST ENEMY of all of us - you and me together - America. They helped the rebels to cause this horrible atrocity, in order to blame it on Assad and then wage war on Syria and Assad, followed by hunder-thousands of dead Syrians - innocent father, mothers, brothers, sisters, friends and elders.

You guys are fighting (with acceptable words, though) here the Sunni/Shia fight. That is very-very disappointing for me to see. Are you not all Muslims? Is it really sooooo important, what school you are belonging too? That happened 1400 years ago - how can you give it sooo much weight today? That is my main Muslim-critique and the moment when I wonder: "Are they "stupid" this Muslims? Why are they doing that to each other and if they really do this already to each other, what will they to to real "infedels" like me and others...?"

Instead of fighting each other - with words and sharp blades - you should all unit and fight the TRUE ENEMY. The enemy of the world. The enemy of all civilized people - USA! But do not get me wrong. Americans are as good and bad as I am or you are. Just normal people. A bit naive, a bit stupid even at times and VEEEEERY religious - possibly more than you are. I been there quite a few times and never knew before my first time, that every little town of 5000 people has 5,6,7 (little) churches! Amazing!!! What we should all despise and fight is American politics - foreign politics. All educated Europe - where I come from - knows that 9/11 was an "inside job", as it is called here. Also most educated and progressive Americans know that - and even say it! Just the the masses are dumb and tend to believe in the LYING-LYING US TV, not knowing they are in bed with Washington to an extend, normally can really understand and believe!

Back to my original subject - why Assad is really hated! To tell you the truth...? I was disappointed that nobody here could explain this to me. A few people tried, argued with the long time he is in power etc. But this is not a valid reason to me. Germany had a chancellor who was a long time in power too - was he a dictator? No - he was not! The length of time somebody is in power alone is no valid argument - sorry guys!

Not that you get me wrong! I do not know if Assad is a dictator or not. I am not arguing he is not, Thats why I came here - in hope to find out.

One thing must also be mentioned! Under Assad was peace. Under Assad all religions - even Christians and Jews - could live in peace side by side. Is this not a great value? Look what you got now. HATRED and "everybody" fighting "everybody". A horrible situation. I follow the news every day - mainly on youtube - and have seen dozends of clips from Iraq and Syria! And watch them in sadness, seeing Muslims slaughter Muslims for very very stupid reasons, if you ask me!

ISIS? Or ISIL? Or IS? Are you guys aware that they are another CIA-trained group doing the "dirty work" for the Americans? The CIA trained the fighters in Georgia and other places - gave them money and weapons only to do the dirty job and take out the Assad regime - same in Iraq. That makes me wonder how clever Muslims (or their leaders) really are. As soon as all this killing is over, USA will go against "IS" and will kill them all. You bet! Next they go against you - as sure as light of day. What do you think you can gain from their presence? All they want is your oil, your gas, your raw-materials and full control of the Middle East!

I feel I sound like Che Guevarra here! Actually I was not interested in politics at all before 9/11. Then I saw how my friends in Afghanistan were bombed, how innocent families died by the hundred-thousands. Same in Iraq. Not long ago SADDAM was the best friend of Rumsfeld and the other criminals - remember? When USA fought against Iran? And now...? Saddam was murdered and now - hahahahaha - USA is secretly working together with Iran against the same "IS" they have created, trained and funded!

You must understand that trillions of Dollars are earned with the US war-machine. The old enemy Russia is gone - now they created a new one - Muslims. Only to be able to continue to produce and sell war-machines worth trillions (not billions!!!) of Dollars. A few rich families - Bush and Cheney among them - are the ones that take all the profits, while the dumb-naive American tax-payer is paying the price. While they pay with Dollars, you pay with blood! How long you want to continue, before you see and realize this? And work against it...?

OK - I stop preaching. I did not come here to tell you what to do and think. In my heart I am with you - more than you think. The infidel! Isn't that an irony in itself?

Talk later, if you want,

Allah u Akbar,

MURAQAD

Some people are saying terrible things about sunnis.

I am a sunni and i lean on bashar for strictly political reasons. Syria is a funnel through which Iran can safely transfer weapons to Hezbollah. Nothing less and nothing more. And he can keep Syria stable. Thats it. And its no secret that this civil war is part of the Wahabi-Israeli plan to destrovy the resistance. Most sunnis outside the arabia know this.

So kick sectarianism out. We sunnis also know the truth about this war.

And yes i know bashar is a mass murderer.but there something called, "for the greater good."

And Muraqad you are absolutely right. A very educated comment. Its sad that muslims fight each like this

As khameini said, "We argue with one another whether to pray with open or closed hands while the enemy waits to cut them both off." If the Muslim ummah joined forces and became one, Nothing in the world could have stopped us. Nothing.

And if it helps Muraqad, i was an atheist too oncw(and a science geek at that). Muslims just get angry when non-muslims say terrible things about our Prophet(S) and Allah. How can i say it.....it hurts like an arrow(remembering that horror film, "innocemce of muslims) in the heart. However you showed great respect. Sth uncommon still among many muslims.

I pray to Allah to guide you to the right path.

Edited by Spicen
  • 2 years later...
  • Basic Members

Sunni's hate Bashar as he and his dad are butchers, who encourage their army to ethnically cleanse Syria of Sunnis. He is the equivalent of the Saudis towards Yemeni Shia and Saddam towards Iraqi Shia. The middle east is a devastated place with barbaric medieval rivalries and has revenge on the minds of both Sunnis and Shia's alike. Whereas before we had something to keep us together (united against Salman Rusdie's insults towards Islam) we are now pawns of the west and east respectively. Yes us Sunnis and Shias have political differences, but surely our love for the Holy Prophet and his Holy Family should keep us clinging together. May Allah send us leaders like Imam Ali (R.A) to wake us up. Peace from a Sunni.

Let me add, i don't glorify Assad either, but the reason why he was chosen for the regime change project and not other equally or worse dictatorships out there [far worse] is because of his position on Israel and his opposition to US hegemony.

• Moderators
On 2016-12-13 at 9:08 AM, idnan ali said:

Sunni's hate Bashar as he and his dad are butchers, who encourage their army to ethnically cleanse Syria of Sunnis. He is the equivalent of the Saudis towards Yemeni Shia and Saddam towards Iraqi Shia. The middle east is a devastated place with barbaric medieval rivalries and has revenge on the minds of both Sunnis and Shia's alike. Whereas before we had something to keep us together (united against Salman Rusdie's insults towards Islam) we are now pawns of the west and east respectively. Yes us Sunnis and Shias have political differences, but surely our love for the Holy Prophet and his Holy Family should keep us clinging together. May Allah send us leaders like Imam Ali (R.A) to wake us up. Peace from a Sunni.

So why was Bashar democratically elected by the Sunnis if he was butchering them?

• Basic Members
On 2013-02-07 at 4:38 PM, Logic said:

To answer this, there were thousands of Sunnis who also got murdered by Saddam. The situations are difference, in this case Shias are publicly SUPPORTING Assad, no Sunni has ever supported and encouraged for that mass murder that happened to the Shias with Saddam. Also, in political terms, it is sad to say that no Sunni or Shia have ever helped each other in a situations like this. We are not saying that we need your support, were saying that you should not support a man who is killing all these people, having children go through this at such a young age, these children witnessing murders in front of their eyes, seeing their brothers, sisters, parents get killed in front of their eyes. Not only children but all the Syrian. Don't think about the man behind it, LOOK at the situations and ask yourself if this is okay, all Shia and Sunni issues aside. THIS IS NOT OKAY and NO ONE should say that Sunnis are "sheep" we go against what is wrong, and this is wrong.  

• Advanced Member

Because he plunged his country into a civil war which will not end anytime soon just for the sake of his own presidency. The fact that he brought in the non-muslim Russians and non-Arabic Iranians to kill our Arab muslim brothers and sisters confirms the fact that he doesn't give a jack about Syria or the Syrian people.

The sectarian element also is imporant to note.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I would LOVE for this to be a Syrian conflict to be decided by the Syrian people. But we have Hezbollah, Iran and Russia meddling on Bashars side and Saudis, Qataris and Americans against him. Plus, Turkey will do anything to eliminate the Kurds, Israel needs a weak Middle East, the CIA have their proxy Daesh running parts of the country, so we now have:

USA

Qatar

Saudi Arabia

Russia

Iran

Hezbollah

Turkey 

Israel

Daesh

All exploiting Syria for their own sakes. I have to find out why Iran and Hezbollah are selling themselves out to Russia, that is what confuses me. I do not care what happens to Assad, as long as the Syrian people are in charge.

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

I would LOVE for this to be a Syrian conflict to be decided by the Syrian people. But we have Hezbollah, Iran and Russia meddling on Bashars side and Saudis, Qataris and Americans against him. Plus, Turkey will do anything to eliminate the Kurds, Israel needs a weak Middle East, the CIA have their proxy Daesh running parts of the country, so we now have:

USA

Qatar

Saudi Arabia

Russia

Iran

Hezbollah

Turkey 

Israel

Daesh

All exploiting Syria for their own sakes. I have to find out why Iran and Hezbollah are selling themselves out to Russia, that is what confuses me. I do not care what happens to Assad, as long as the Syrian people are in charge.

It's important to note that Assad has let it escalate this far. He could have followed Mubarak's and Ben Ali's example, or atleast implement a more parlementary system, but he decided to plunge his country into this civil war for his own power.

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, MuhammedAli said:

It's important to note that Assad has let it escalate this far. He could have followed Mubarak's and Ben Ali's example, or atleast implement a more parlementary system, but he decided to plunge his country into this civil war for his own power.

Yes. And he brought in foreign powers to.counter other foreign powers, effectively meaning in the end Syria will be either a Western or Eastern pawn. Hezbollah's involvement is mainly to protect Shia villages near the coast, but I would disagree if they start working with the Russians and Syrians.

Edited by Mansur Bakhtiari
  • Veteran Member
11 hours ago, MuhammedAli said:

He was not a dictator like Mubarak and that would habe meant extermination of Shia and their allies 

• Veteran Member
6 hours ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

Yes. And he brought in foreign powers to.counter other foreign powers, effectively meaning in the end Syria will be either a Western or Eastern pawn. Hezbollah's involvement is mainly to protect Shia villages near the coast, but I would disagree if they start working with the Russians and Syrians.

Why ?

Russians need to kick some wahabis  a$$ in Syria and not just there but the whole middle East 

On 12/18/2016 at 11:54 AM, MuhammedAli said:

Because he plunged his country into a civil war which will not end anytime soon just for the sake of his own presidency. The fact that he brought in the non-muslim Russians and non-Arabic Iranians to kill our Arab muslim brothers and sisters confirms the fact that he doesn't give a jack about Syria or the Syrian people.

The sectarian element also is imporant to note.

That's a little racist isn't it? 'non arabia iranians' to kill 'our arabic muslim brothers or sisters'. Now i am no fan of Assad, but i am no fan of the so-called rebels, a number of whom flooded in from abroad. 

This is what the ex-leader of the powerful 'moderate rebel' group in Syria[backed by some gulf states/the west], Jaysh al Islam's Zahran Alloush (may Allah curse him), said of Osama Bin laden (may Allah curse him). In order to gain geopolitical power in the middle east, Gulf States, the United states, and western Governments, with the Evil Erdogan lauded as an Idol by the secterian types.

Many people ask - why don't you support the syrian rebels? Why do you support Assad? 

Firstly, i do not support Assad. I consider the prospect of many of the groups he is fighting getting into power being a far, far greater evil than he may be. He is the lesser evil, and the only thing stopping these terrorist groups assuming power.

Let us say tommorow, i ask Bashar al Assad to stand down. What do you think that will do? Right now , in the suburbs of Damuscus is the powerful group, Jaysh Al Islam who would happily overun damuscus and try to take power, who regularly shell the city with no attention either to the lives of the civilians, who are highly secterian, use language like 'Rafida' and 'nusayri', and whose leader did the following:

Do you want me, to support a group whose leader said:

""We saw sheikh Usama Bin Laden - may Allah have mercy on him " [ from 2.15 onwards on the video]

113634012-H.jpeg

Do you want me, to support a group whose leader pledged allegiance to the official alqaed affiliate jabhat al nusra?:

Do you want me, to support a group who called for the killing of shia's, when Assads army is also majorly formed of sunni's, making this seem shia vs sunni, and used terrible sectarian language such as 'rafidha' 'nusayri' etc:

Who put alawite women into cages?