Sign in to follow this  
Directora

Sex Is Allowed With Captives?

Rate this topic

Salaam,

In Surat Al-Muminoon:

23:5 and 23:6

It states: Who abstain from sex, Except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess,- for (in their case) they are free from blame,

Two questions here:

1. You are allowed sex with slaves?

2. what is meant by whom their right hands possess?

Without nikah? how?... I'm confussssed?...

والمحصنات من النساء إلا ما ملكت أيمانكم كتاب الله عليكم وأحل لكم ما وراء ذلكم أن تبتغوا بأموالكم محصنين غير مسافحين فما استمتعتم به منهن فآتوهن أجورهن فريضة ولا جناح عليكم فيما تراضيتم به من بعد الفريضة إن الله كان عليما حكيما

And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess. It is a decree of Allah for you. Lawful unto you are all beyond those mentioned, so that ye seek them with your wealth in honest wedlock, not debauchery. And those of whom ye seek content (by marrying them), give unto them their portions as a duty. And there is no sin for you in what ye do by mutual agreement after the duty (hath been done). Lo! Allah is ever Knower, Wise. [4:24]

Wow Haider and Zulfiqar. i definately learnt something new today. JazakaAllahh :)

Wa iyyakum :)

For the record, I simply posted the relevant ayat. I do not agree with it. If I owned a slave girl, and for economic reasons could not free her, I would not have sex with her. I would simply have her do chores and whatnot as needed, and try to make sure she's comfortable. I would free her as soon as I possibly could, when the economic situation improved and I could afford to hire labour instead of slavery. Sex with slaves, to me, is disturbing. I wouldn't do it, even though it's halal.

What if the slave is married to someone else?

I don't know. Check the Arabic. According to Pickthal's translation, it is fine to have sex with them, still.

Wa iyyakum :)

For the record, I simply posted the relevant ayat. I do not agree with it. If I owned a slave girl, and for economic reasons could not free her, I would not have sex with her. I would simply have her do chores and whatnot as needed, and try to make sure she's comfortable. I would free her as soon as I possibly could, when the economic situation improved and I could afford to hire labour instead of slavery. Sex with slaves, to me, is disturbing. I wouldn't do it, even though it's halal.

I don't know. Check the Arabic. According to Pickthal's translation, it is fine to have sex with them, still.

Fair enough. Just because something is allowed doesn't mean you have to do it. so it's a free will matter too eh,

What if the slave is married to someone else?

As far as I know, there is no situation where Islam would allow women to have multiple sex partners. I think that if there was a situation where a man (master) had a woman-slave who was married to another man, the master of the woman-slave could have the power to divorce her from the man, and then he could have sex with her (after the iddah period of the woman-slave). There are hadiths on this,

Muhammad ibn Muslim said: "I asked Abu Ja'far (a.s.) about the word of Allah: and all married women except those whom your right hands possess. He said: 'It is [like] this, that a man orders his slave (whom is married to his slave girl), and tells him, "Put aside your wife and do not go near her". Then he keeps her confined until she sees her blood; after that he touches her. Thereafter when she again sees blood after his touching her, he returns her to him [i.e., to her slave husband] without [any need of anew] marriage.'" (al-Kafi; at-Tafsir, al-'Ayyashi)

Ibn Muskan has narrated through Abu Basir, from one of the two Imams (a.s.), about the word of Allah: And all married women except those whom your right hands possess, that he said: "They are the women having husbands except those whom your right hands possess. If you have give a your slave girl in marriage to your slave boy, you may remove her from him if you so wish." "I said: 'Do you see, if he has given her in marriage to other than his own slave boy?' He said: '(Then) he has no right to remove (her from him) until she is sold away; then if he sells her, her affair is transferred to other than him (i.e, to the buyer); then the buyer may separate (her from her husband) if he so desires, and may reconfirm (the marriage) if he so wishes." (at-Tafsir, al-'Ayyashi)

I think these things were used in a means of a time back then, so while they still apply, i think it was a means to deal with the situation they were in back then. Allahu a3lam.The quran was slowly changing process for the people. The Quran pushes the person to free slaves anyway as there are many good deeds in releasing them. Forgiveness of sins, they can be used to make up for the fasting days you intentionally broke for no medical etc reason.

Edited by AlphaMale_ASAD

I think these things were used in a means of a time back then, so while they still apply, i think it was a means to deal with the situation they were in back then. Allahu a3lam.The quran was slowly changing process for the people. The Quran pushes the person to free slaves anyway as there are many good deeds in releasing them. Forgiveness of sins, they can be used to make up for the fasting days you intentionally broke for no medical etc reason.

I don't buy that argument at all, many things were banned outright despite being widely practised, banning slavery would not have been impossible to do if it is wrong in principle, not banning it suggests it is not. Imagine being on the other side, forced into slavery and having to have sex with your 'master' at his whim. All condoned by that persons religion...what would your view be then?

I don't buy that argument at all, many things were banned outright despite being widely practised, banning slavery would not have been impossible to do if it is wrong in principle, not banning it suggests it is not. Imagine being on the other side, forced into slavery and having to have sex with your 'master' at his whim. All condoned by that persons religion...what would your view be then?

Being a slave in Islam is not the same as being a slave in today's world or even a slave in the 1700s. Slaves in Islam were more like

Servants, they were treated with respect, you can read stories of how the Imam's treated them. Plus a true Muslim back then respected people in generally and would not abusive his slaves, so I highly doubt slaves were forced to have sex..

Also, neither slavery nor sex is condoned in Islam, you just have to do them both the right way (ie respect ur slaves and have sex in a halal way)

Edited by Ruffles

Ya slave is bad translation. It really should be captives in my opinion. Because other verses of Quran are teaching against slavery and promoting freeing slaves but here is talking about having sex with them? Nope it def. can not be slaves.

Edited by faithfuls.org

Being a slave in Islam is not the same as being a slave in today's world or even a slave in the 1700s. Slaves in Islam were more like

Servants, they were treated with respect, you can read stories of how the Imam's treated them. Plus a true Muslim back then respected people in generally and would not abusive his slaves, so I highly doubt slaves were forced to have sex..

Also, neither slavery nor sex is condoned in Islam, you just have to do them both the right way (ie respect ur slaves and have sex in a halal way)

I'm not arguing about how well you treat your slave, the concept of owning another human being as a possession like any other object that you can buy and sell in itself is repulsive to me, and I'm genuinely surprised if it not repulsive to anyone else unless they are not being completely honest with themselves. You can't compare them with servants who do a job for reimbursement of their own free will. Who wants to be a well treated slave?

I'm not arguing about how well you treat your slave, the concept of owning another human being as a possession like any other object that you can buy and sell in itself is repulsive to me, and I'm genuinely surprised if it not repulsive to anyone else unless they are not being completely honest with themselves. You can't compare them with servants who do a job for reimbursement of their own free will. Who wants to be a well treated slave?

You clothe, feed, and shelter your slaves as well. You also pay mehr to your wife, but that's okay to you?

A slave is not an object, otherwise they wouldn't be respected by Muslims, and it's not like

Muslims didn't free they're slaves... Plus many pious people came to be because they were slaves in the house of an Imam(as) where they were taught by the best. Imams (as) had slaves so what do you think of that? I think you're picture of slavery is skewed because of what you were taught in school, how white farmers abusived their slaves and treated them like garbage and gave them no rights... Thats not slavery, that's just oppression...

Think about marriage, let's say u marry a momina who only asks $500 for mehr, you marry her for 30 years before both of you pass away. She got 500$ for 30 years of having to obey you and have sex with you whenever you ask. Seems pretty [Edited Out]py IF you ignore that a husband also provides for her, loves/respects her, and helps improve her deen iA and other things too probably that I can't think of.