Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Eating Halal And Healthy?

Rate this topic

Ali-Reza

• Banned

ya vegtables come with a bagged. For example beans aren't complete protein and become complete with you eat it with rice or whole grain or something hence more carbs.

You're worried about carbs? Drop the Atkins diet book and start learning about REAL nutrition. Rice mixed with beans (complete protein) is a hell of a lot healthier than a steak. Try again.

As for Ali Musaaa, I have proven it to him before. He is just too attached to his fat burgers to listen to science.

You're worried about carbs? Drop the Atkins diet book and start learning about REAL nutrition. Rice mixed with beans (complete protein) is a hell of a lot healthier than a steak. Try again.

As for Ali Musaaa, I have proven it to him before. He is just too attached to his fat burgers to listen to science.

ya i was until i went and had me some halal kabobs now i am good

You don't need meat or protein. It's a myth.

You can get enough protein from vegetable sources.

Meat has many benefits that plants cannot give; some of which may still be unknown to many. Some things defy science, such as honey. Try to follow our 'ahadeeth in this case. We have different 'ahadeeth showing that we should eat meat at least once in 40 days.

-more on b12 deficiencies in vegans/vegetarians, and analog and active forms of b12:

http://articles.merc...f-veganism.aspx

(salam)

Eversince I swtiched to Halal again, I have notied I am eating too much carbs and not enough meat and protein. For those of you that live abroad and have limited access to Halal, any tips or ideas?

Salaam,

Please be cautious of following some of these new-age diets that others may mention. What are your health goals?

Edited by gogiison2

Meat has many benefits that plants cannot give; some of which may still be unknown to many. Some things defy science, such as honey. Try to follow our 'ahadeeth in this case. We have different 'ahadeeth showing that we should eat meat at least once in 40 days.

-more on b12 deficiencies in vegans/vegetarians, and analog and active forms of b12:

http://articles.merc...f-veganism.aspx

Salaam,

Please be cautious of following some of these new-age diets that others may mention. What are your health goals?

stay halal and healthy and dont gain (any more) weight :)

stay halal and healthy and dont gain (any more) weight :)

Try to eat organic foods only; even if that means eating less. Less is often better. Fasting should be a high priority for the health-conscious. Limit the number of times you eat fast-food and other restaurants. Make your own food.

If you really want to lose weight. follow the Abu Dharr diet. It's said he ate 2 kilos of wheat a week. Haha...I know that would be challenging today, especially when we don't have our Imams to openly guide us, nutritionally.

Edited by gogiison2

• Veteran Member

Meat has many benefits that plants cannot give; some of which may still be unknown to many.

Yep We were meant to eat both meat and vegetation. Meat has protein and other nutrients, including iron, thiamine, and zinc. Women need lots of iron. Red meat is especially rich in iron which is hard to get enough from vegetable source only. I dont know a better source.

Yep We were meant to eat both meat and vegetation. Meat has protein and other nutrients, including iron, thiamine, and zinc. Women need lots of iron. Red meat is especially rich in iron which is hard to get enough from vegetable source only. I dont know a better source.

I use a cast-iron pan, too. That helps a little, with the iron.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I use a cast-iron pan, too. That helps a little, with the iron.

Lol, I think it's time you got a new pan.

Any healthy diet should contain all the food groups, including meat, eggs, dairy, fruits and vegetables, plus whole grains. It's not the types of foods one needs to restrict as much as the quanitity/portion sizes. So eat balanced, but just eat less and walk/exercise more if you want to lose weight.

Lol, I think it's time you got a new pan.

Any healthy diet should contain all the food groups, including meat, eggs, dairy, fruits and vegetables, plus whole grains. It's not the types of foods one needs to restrict as much as the quanitity/portion sizes. So eat balanced, but just eat less and walk/exercise more if you want to lose weight.

Cast-iron is probably the best, if not one of the best pans on the market.

Yes, a wide variety is beneficial. We should aim for the full spectrum in terms of nutrients. The types of food ARE important. One should eat REAL food, and not "food" made in a lab. I will opt out of being the government's guinea pig.

• Advanced Member

Just a brief comment regarding the organic food fad. In terms of hard research, there's really very little to say that it is better even marginally in any of the ways claimed by proponents in their literature. If you're into it already, and it makes you feel some sort of psychological peace and you don't mind spending 50-100% more for food that, scientifically, is indistinguishable in its biological effect on your body, by all means, that's a person's choice. If you're not a true believer, however, I'd recommend a close look before adopting such a path. We have limited resources, and there are a lot of ways to spend on health. You don't want to waste money.

The best route is probably just to eat a good variety of meat, fish, fruit, and vegatables, lots of water, easy on the salt, not too much bread and starchy stuff, get lots of exercise, and work on techniques for stress management.

For those who are unaware of the differences between REAL food, genetically modified varieties, or almost any other "food" product of big corporations, watch the documentary film Genetic Roulette. This is a great reply to those who spread disinformation about organics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnlTYFKBg18

Edited by gogiison2

• Advanced Member

It is to be noted that the question of organic / "non-organic" food and the corporatization of the food supply / small local farm vs big agro are two distinct issues. They can interplay, but they are ultimately distinct. Both organic and non-organic farms exist in both small local family owned and large coporate mega farm mode. All four combinations exist in the marketplace. On the one hand, can shop your "non-organic" meat, fruit, and vegetables in smaller farmers' markets supplied by small local family farms. On the other side, "big organic," in the form of large corporatized mega "organic" farms are becoming an increasingly predominant share of the "organic food" industry as big grocery chains and big box retailers like Walmart move to cash in on the over-priced grocery market.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_586.cfm

• Advanced Member

What do you guys think about milk? We've been drinking pasteurised, homogenised stuff in tetrapacks for a while now, but I was recently looking into Sally Fallon's writings- still making up my mind as to what I think about her, actually- and she has this whole spiel going about how unrefined, untreated stuff is better. We do get raw milk here,but that is mixed with loads of gunk- water if you're lucky, otherwise anything from arrowroot to acid to... Not to forget the oxytocin they pump milch cows full of. Confused as to which is worse...

What do you guys think about milk? We've been drinking pasteurised, homogenised stuff in tetrapacks for a while now, but I was recently looking into Sally Fallon's writings- still making up my mind as to what I think about her, actually- and she has this whole spiel going about how unrefined, untreated stuff is better. We do get raw milk here,but that is mixed with loads of gunk- water if you're lucky, otherwise anything from arrowroot to acid to... Not to forget the oxytocin they pump milch cows full of. Confused as to which is worse...

Did your raw milk dairy farmers tell you that they conduct themselves in such ways? If not, how do you know?

Edited by gogiison2

• Advanced Member

N as far as low-carb diets go, I've often wondered how that fits in with the Imams' dietary habits, or what we (/I) know about them. Yes, they took frugal to unseen heights, but there were definitely more carbs, if Minot wrong. Now how much of that was time- and culture-specific is an important consideration...

• Advanced Member

Regarding too much meat, and low-carb versus vegetarianism, found the following:

Did your raw milk dairy farmers tell you that they conduct themselves in such ways? If not, how do you know?

Actually, mixing water to increase quantity is such a common practice, that even the milk sellers admit it freely. As for adding more noxious substances, it's something of an open secret. There have been some television reports on this. Oh, and someone I know lives next to a dairy farm. Early every morning, as she sets off for work, she sees the cos being pumped full of injections. We've heard so much about oxytocin being used here for this purpose, that I assume that is what those cows must be getting loaded up with.

Regarding too much meat, and low-carb versus vegetarianism, found the following:

http://www.shiachat....hy#entry2259695

Actually, mixing water to increase quantity is such a common practice, that even the milk sellers admit it freely. As for adding more noxious substances, it's something of an open secret. There have been some television reports on this. Oh, and someone I know lives next to a dairy farm. Early every morning, as she sets off for work, she sees the cos being pumped full of injections. We've heard so much about oxytocin being used here for this purpose, that I assume that is what those cows must be getting loaded up with.

I don't think such unethical practices are common among raw dairy farmers. Which farm is this?

Edited by gogiison2

I get raw milk from the Amish in Pennsylvania. They have weekly delivery routes. I would advise to choose another farmer. Surely there are some honest people out there.

It is to be noted that the question of organic / "non-organic" food and the corporatization of the food supply / small local farm vs big agro are two distinct issues. They can interplay, but they are ultimately distinct. Both organic and non-organic farms exist in both small local family owned and large coporate mega farm mode. All four combinations exist in the marketplace. On the one hand, can shop your "non-organic" meat, fruit, and vegetables in smaller farmers' markets supplied by small local family farms. On the other side, "big organic," in the form of large corporatized mega "organic" farms are becoming an increasingly predominant share of the "organic food" industry as big grocery chains and big box retailers like Walmart move to cash in on the over-priced grocery market.

http://www.organicco...article_586.cfm

Great article, thanks! I hope all of the other non-organic big corporate food suppliers would start using the same methods as Earthbound. I am not so much against making money; it's just I despise when morals and ethics are compromised in doing so.

It is unfortunate that you or those in your locale have found yourselves taken advantage of by such a farmer(s). Search for an honest farmer. Some actually have a passion for their job and helping others, within their own limitations, of course.

• Veteran Member

Certified Organic Milk in Canada means:

- is produced without GMO's, which are prohibited within the Soil Association Standards for Organic Food and Farming.

-is produced under strict organic standards ,which prohibits the use of antibiotics, pesticides, or hormones.

-contains no artificial colors or preservatives.

-keeps animals welfare always primary on a farmers mind, Avalon Dairy animals have access to the outdoors, fresh air, pure water sunshine and exercise.

-uses holistic methods to address animal health concerns without the use of antibiotics or hormones.

-organic farming starts with the nutrients of the soil which leads to the nourishment of the plant and ultimately our palates for better flavors.

http://www.avalondairy.com/certified.html

Edited by forte

• Veteran Member

I eat only halal, which is very difficult when I'm not in a large city. For protein I eat lots and lots of eggs, drink milk, eat beans, eat nuts and peanut butter, and eat canned tuna. I exercise a lot and I'm able to get more than enough protein that way.

To address a few points raised by other people:

1) I do believe in limiting processed carbs, and getting most of your carbs from fruits, vegetables, and nuts. So limit bread and rice and other processed carbs. And try and eat most of your veggies raw, asuming your health permits it

2) Milk is great. I've never had raw milk, but I think if you've got a strong stomach, and you're familiar with the dairy farmer and know they used sanitary conditions, then I say it's probably better for you

3) Organic, at least in the US, is not what most people think. In the US organic only refers to limiting the use of artificial pesticides and hormones and the like. Natural pesticides, which can sometimes be just as toxic as artificial, are still considered organic (so I believe organic in many markets is very overrated and not worth the cost)

4) Cast iron is definitely the best thing I've ever used for cooking. Especially when it is a well seasoned pan, it's just as non stick (if not more so) than teflon coated pans. And there's less risk of toxic fume release or teflon particles getting into your food.

Edited by coldcow

Thanks for the suggestion, Gogiison2. I hate to say it, but here in Karachi, it's kind of hard to find pure raw milk. Sometimes I wish we could keep a cow, just so the kids could good, wholesome milk. And us too, of course

Yeah, Inshaa'Allah. It would be nice to have a cow, or even a goat (since it should be way cheaper), and have them grazing on grass only, and not grains. This way there won't be an omega fatty acid imbalance in the animal, and in turn effecting our health when we eat or drink from the animal.

Yeah, Inshaa'Allah. It would be nice to have a cow, or even a goat (since it should be way cheaper), and have them grazing on grass only, and not grains. This way there won't be an omega fatty acid imbalance in the animal, and in turn effecting our health when we eat or drink from the animal.

People have dogs, cats, birds, why not cows? I have actually thought about moving to the countryside, buy a big house with a big land, and grow my own food...live like Amish :)

• Advanced Member

People have dogs, cats, birds, why not cows? I have actually thought about moving to the countryside, buy a big house with a big land, and grow my own food...live like Amish :)

This is something my husband and I laughingly discuss every few days. Cos in the city, feeding cows, or even goats grass, free-range style, would mean you need a big stretch of land.