Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

• Basic Members

So I'm new to this and have stumbled across this website while google searching whether Fashion is haraam. Fashion has always bee something I liked, but I'm pulled between either fashion design or fashion promotion and communication (so using media and other mediums to advertise fashion more or less). And I'd researched all of this years back, an learned that it was okay as long as I was designing and creating modest clothing. But then last night I was listening to a lecture and this scholar/speaker was saying that abayas shouldn't be over embellished or different colours like green. And I was thinking whether this is actually true (like its written in the Quran or in a Hadith) or whether this was his opinion. And not just abaya but other clothing, like should it all be plain and have no embellishments but obviously loose fitting?

• Advanced Member

Clothing should have a modest fit. In the Quran it only mentions to cover ones bosoms.

Surah 24:30 And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss.

Surah 33:59 O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Clothing is meant to be in a manner at which we cover ourselves modestly. I have several friends who are in fashion and their goals are to provide modest clothing to hijabi women in the west. I think it can be done and still be considered modest and not too attractive. A friend of mine also makes purses, MA she is really good. So that could be a potential as well, but you can make your own line of fashion that is modest. By modest it can mean not too elaborate in color like bright orange. Also not too many beads that each person will stare at her. And modest to me means dress or tops that fall to my knees and pants that are not skinny jeans. Each female has their style at which they dress. For me; id like to see more modest clothing shops made by women in the west.

Or like this but with a little more collor and taste to it. http://muhajabat.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/metropardesu.jpg

Or this: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Jilab+to+the+knee&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=66050DBFD490B4A2AFB27E5A99BA0734300C5BFB&selectedIndex=23

Or this:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Jilab+to+the+knee&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=1A03BBCBF911D38AED4AEEFB615F2C505362595A&selectedIndex=74