Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Molla Pasha as-Sadiq

What Languages Do You Speak?

Rate this topic

(salam)

I speak, English, Urdu/Hindi, can speak a bit of Punjabi (although I can understand it), and in the process of learning how to speak Farsi.

Could hold basic street conversations in Arabic during my Saudi days, but haven't done so in more than a decade and therefore have forgotten most of it.

Wassalam

Edited by Aal-e-Imran

Wettanam me voila je crois que tu es en ligne . Je vois il ya 4 mn ago. Je t'ai envoyé un "i like this post " . la fonction edit n'est disponible que quelques temps. Je vais lire quelques post sur ce site en attendant . Yahou n'offre pas d'alerte sonore pour les amis . je regarderai donc environ toutes les cinq minutes voir situ as envoyé le post .

Salaam.

Edited by al ghareeb75

Then you are my brother!

I was imitating Scottish accent to amuse my friends and couple of new guys came in and mistook me for an Asian Scot. I was only there in Scotland for three weeks or so.

It's one tough and weird accent. I could-nee ballieve Sco'land wuz thaaaa(t) baaaa(d).

But tell you what. No such thing as single British accent. It's a collection of very distinct accents from Glaswegian to Yorkshire all the way down to London. You just stick with the posh London accent if you wanna impress your Canadian compatriots :lol:

When I came brand new to Canada, people thought I moved from another Province, that's how fast I picked up the Canadian accent :lol:

To Canadians, all accents coming out from the UK are one, heck even the Australian/New Zealand accent are classified as 'British' here lol

I like the posh London accent, the highlander Scottish accent and the Welsh accent, its like they sing even when they talk, oh and 'I graduated from Cambridge/Oxford' accent as well.

I tell you, take your newly-learnt Scottish accent and come here, people will be all over you, but please, don't go to the South or Mid-West of the States with it, you won't come back safe and sound.

Wettanam@ Bon on a pas reusiis a se synchroniser bien qu'étant en ligne . En plus il n'y avais presque personne . Il faut se donner une heure d erendez vous . Moi je vais pas tarder a allier au dodo. mais si tu laisses un message ici avec l'heure du rendez vous , de preference le soir . c'est bien . ici il 00:30 a ce moment précis . J'ai connus un canadien via le forum de Alex Jones il était sympa mais un peu frustre et pas croyant ...il monte un business de conseil en survivalism . Bon il faudrait qu'on arrive à se joindre car ces posts sont un peu hors sujet...

I speak Arabic, English and French very fluently, thanks to Allah (swt).

Heureux de rencontrer de personnes parlant le Français . Shiachat me permet de progresser en Anglais tout en approfondissant aussi le Dîn . Mais desfois c est sympa de parler en Français . Niveau vitesse je lis quand même plus vite en Français qu'en Anglais .

No, she is not calling the learning of new language atrocious. She meant that English language skills of Iranians in general are very bad even though they are compulsorily taught English in schools. One would expect them to do better. So perhaps the quality of teaching isn't well up to the mark.

Anyhow, I think its too late to learn and retain a foreign language in any meaningful way when you are already in grade 12. In Pakistan, for instance, they used to start teaching English in grade 6. Now, they have a policy to teach English as a compulsory subject right from class 1, like it's in India. And oh boy Indians are truly taking advantage of their good English skills aren't they.

Comparing the way my cousins in Kuwait speak English with people I know from Iran I can definitely say that their teaching skills is clearly lacking. My friend was brought up in the UK but lived in Iran for a few years and she said how the teacher would sometimes make mistakes in speaking English. Even in the international school in Tehran the new headteacher can barely string along a sentence in English, ironically. The standard of teaching seems to have gone down due to the lack of foreign teachers. I think in general that Iranians aren't able to teach languages properly, especially since not a lot of people study abroad like they used to during the Shah's time. And I don't think they put a lot of emphasis in languages like they do for other subjects. Take the Shah for instance, he knew how to speak fluent English and French yet our current officials in Iran are uneducated in terms of languages. I'm not even sure if they can speak proper Arabic. Anyways this is just my observation.

I honestly think languages need to be taught at a young age. A child can learn up to 5 languages because their neutron pathways are easily stimulated making them able to absorb more information. Even public schools in the UK teach French/Spanish from Year 7 which is a mistake. I've probably forget half the French I used to know and even then we never really taught how to hold proper conversations in it.

Wettanam@ Bon on a pas reusiis a se synchroniser bien qu'étant en ligne . En plus il n'y avais presque personne . Il faut se donner une heure d erendez vous . Moi je vais pas tarder a allier au dodo. mais si tu laisses un message ici avec l'heure du rendez vous , de preference le soir . c'est bien . ici il 00:30 a ce moment précis . J'ai connus un canadien via le forum de Alex Jones il était sympa mais un peu frustre et pas croyant ...il monte un business de conseil en survivalism . Bon il faudrait qu'on arrive à se joindre car ces posts sont un peu hors sujet...

Salut @al ghareeb75, il est 14h09 à Paris et il est 8h09 ici je suis en ligne durant les heures de boulot donc jusqu'à 22h heure de Paris, c'est vrai que nos posts sont vraiment hors sujet

naay re , mee UP cha aahe. Roj MUMBAI LOCAL train madhye travel karoon aani marathi lokanchi pak pak aikun thodi marathi mi bolu shakto.

Wow tumich maajha bhau aahe tum majha shahr Mathun aahe.

Salam

Please can anyone tell me in which language the brother is reciting the latmiyya (?) ?

I have been trying to find out for so so so long and you brs and strs are my last resort. I can't find it on YouTube so have had to take a short clip on my phone from my tv! If anyone knows it and can tell me anything about it I would be so grateful. My husband will be so happy :)

If anyone can translate I can upload a vid of the whole thing.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by MyZahra

Salam

I went for eid prayer today and there was an Iranian sister there who listened to it and told me it is in Turkish ( she mentioned something about Azerbaijan ). Here is a link to the clip I did on my phone

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/bijln4pfq87no2w/trim.E01CF4A1-8AB6-4B2B-8AD7-8B2AB2082443.MOV?token_hash=AAH0Ff_yndKkXP_XN-do0zFkyK_wtc4DFo2FW7hc4x27Pg&dl=1

Any ideas?

Br Hamza :) thank you so much for finding it for me! It sounds so sad. It is beautiful. I never knew there was Azeri Turkish language. How ignorant I am! Yes, I would be grateful for the translation when you have some time inshaAllah.

My Asghar, oh my sweet speaking son.. Oh, my soul, my spirit..

Sleep my dear, have a good rest.. Sleep my dear, have a good rest..

You look tired, oh, my rose-garden.. Sleep my dear, have a good rest..

You look tired, oh, my rose-garden..

Do not cry..! Do not cry..! May I be sacrificed to your teardrops..!

Do not cry..! Do not cry..! May I be sacrificed to your teardrops..!

to your eyes that look at my bosom in yearning..!

Sleep, my dear.. Sleep, my rose.. Sleep, my dear.. Sleep, my rose..

I am burning with your sorrow.. I am burning with your sorrow..

I know what you suffer from, my dear.. I know what you suffer from, my dear..

I want to call Abal-Fadl.. I want to call Abal-Fadl..

But, I am embarassed, my dear..

Sleep, my dear, I wish I could take your sorrow.. Sleep, my dear, I wish I could take your sorrow..

Sleep, oh the one yearned for in hearts.. Sleep, oh the one yearned for in hearts..

My sorrow increased when you did not open your eyes.. My sorrow increased when you did not open your eyes..

Your arrow of separation went through my heart.. Your arrow of separation went through my heart..

I looked for water everywhere.. Unfortunately I could not find any..

I looked for water everywhere.. Unfortunately I could not find any..

Forgive me, forgive me, for I tied your hands..

like you, till morning, I cried.. like you, till morning, I cried..

Do not cry..! Do not cry..! Do not cry..! May I be sacrificed to your teardrops..!

Ali, the empty cradle, burned your mother's heart..

I keep wandering around the tent..

In yearning, I ask.. In yearning, I ask.. you to find my dark-eyed son..

In yearning, I ask.. you to find my dark-eyed son..

My heart is longing for your voice.. Cry, my dear..!

The one tying your hands, now says: Cry, my dear..!

My heart is longing for your voice.. Cry, my dear..!

Sleep, oh whose sorrow captured his mother..

Sleep, oh whose yearning settled in hearts..

Sleep, oh whose yearning settled in hearts..