Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

When Will They Stop Walking And Starting Working?

Rate this topic

Abu-Dina

• Advanced Member

Salam all,

When my mother-in-law visits us, she always puts the TV on a Satellite channel I can't remember the name of (Al-Anwar maybe?)... so I'm forced to watch it lol bless her.

On new year’s day I was watching the walkers to Karbala (something I see regularly on this channel). When I asked her about it she said they are walking for the 40th day anniversary of Imam Hussein's murder.

Now I know that a lot of these people do it out of good will and genuine love and devotion to the Imam but this surely can't carry on like this? Surely, the time has come for these people to do something better with their time?

Is this really what Imam Hussein wants from his followers?

While watching I saw so many healthy looking men (young and old) capable of working and bettering their country yet they choose to take 2 week breaks to walk to Karbala when a 3 hour bus journey would suffice.

When will this madness end?

The whole world is laughing at us. I mean really, look at Iran next door.. it's a different world and it's just next door to Iraq.

People take two weeks out here in the "civilized" world to go lie on a beach and do nothing but cook their skin. I don't see a problem with someone taking some time out for something that would be a more spiritual exercise of devotion.

And they'll take two weeks off to celebrate a Zoroastrian spring festival of of the Persian new year.

Not to mention, concerts, movies, cinemas, theatres, museums, sight-seeings and and and. No exception for Iranians in Iran.

just look at children, every of them choos etheir own way to show their love to their parents, and it is because they believe that the way they have chosen is better

also people choose many ways to show their devotion, so maybe walking toward shrine is one of those ways however you might find it wasting time.

And they'll take two weeks off to celebrate a Zoroastrian spring festival of of the Persian new year.

Norooz has been one of celebrations since ancient time in Persian Land and today it has nothing to do with any religion and also it is not against Islam, so Don't bring this matter again and again if you don't understand meaning of Norooz and its place in Persian culture. Just drop it and let Persians decide abt it.

Edited by Parto

• Advanced Member

I think I've been misunderstood a little. I mentioned Iran because they are our neighbours that is all. I have no hidden agenda on this forum.

I'm here because I love God, the Prophet and Ahl Ul-Bayt in that exact order.

Also, I am not comparing Iraqis to other people. But I feel that these people are doing Imam Hussein a disservice.... There is no need to bring the country to a stand still every other month.... How do we expect Iraq to get better if kids are skipping schools, men and women are neglecting their homes and jobs.

It's not thing showing love for the imam but this has become a favoured trip by many... Free food on the way etc.....

I just feel like all that energy they have, maybe they could use it to do something good for the country.... That is all.

Don't flame me... I'm not against them... I just wish they can prioritise their lives.

What have our Aimma (as) said about visiting Syed us Shohda?

Of course ...... But to walk for days.... Come on really?!

Our aimaa are all wisdom and logic....... Where is the logic in walking for days when the same can be achieved by a car journey?

Again.... I'm not against these people... I'm sure many are genuine but one has to tell it like it is..... If we want Iraq to move forward then surely we can't expect people to take weeks off work or school to perform tasks they could have done in a couple of days!

• Advanced Member

"Now I know that a lot of these people do it out of good will and genuine love and devotion to the Imam but this surely can't carry on like this? Surely, the time has come for these people to do something better with their time?...Is this really what Imam Hussein wants from his followers?"

What could be better then the commemoration the martyrdom of Imam Hussain. If sitting in masjid and weeping pleases Bibi Fatima to the extent she will vouch for you on the day of judgement then who are we to say that walking towards Karabla (where Prophets themselves have journeyed to before Imam Hussain was even born to mourn his death) will not please the Ahlulbayt.

While watching I saw so many healthy looking men (young and old) capable of working and bettering their country yet they choose to take 2 week breaks to walk to Karbala when a 3 hour bus journey would suffice..When will this madness end?"

If these healthy men were not in Karbala would they really be bettering their country? If anything, the walk would teach them patience, selflessness and increase their strength of character so they become capable of helping others. The unity, the spirituality aswell as the condolences and speeches that occur on the walk in themselves are the main purposes of Majalis of Imam Hussain (According to Imam Sajad after commemorating his fathers death, the second purpose of Majalis is for unity) You're right you can take a bus or a plane but if you choose to walk under the burning sun just so you can remember a percentage of the hardships that Bibi Zaynab went through when undertaking that journey are you seriously going to call that madness? I pray you repent because when the Maraj'e themselves say they do not want to restrict forms of lamentation and azaadaari because it is the right of Bibi Fatima, who are you and I to do such a thing.

"The whole world is laughing at us

As for laughing at us, Sayyidina Abu Huraira (ra) reported that Allah;s Messenger (SAW) said, “If you know that which I know then you would certainly laugh little and weep much”

Although I think the discipline and unity demonstrated is anything but humorous, let them laugh, we will see who is laughing on the day of judgement.

Your priority should not be to work and to dissuade others from doing whatever they believe will bring them closer to the Imam of the time and the Almighty.I pray that YOU prioritize your life.

Edited by *Sayyeda*

• Advanced Member

People take two weeks out here in the "civilized" world to go lie on a beach and do nothing but cook their skin. I don't see a problem with someone taking some time out for something that would be a more spiritual exercise of devotion.

I didn't intend to compare what the pilgrims do to what your average westerner does with his/her annual holiday :)

I just feel like these people are doing the imam a disservice and of course their country....

Instead of walking we should have these string men building orphanages and schools... Imam Hussein I'm sure would rather these good deeds than someone walking 200km to cry at his grave.

Apologies if I've insulted anyone but I am merely expressing my own opinion. I have no hidden agenda trust me!

It's not thing showing love for the imam but this has become a favoured trip by many... Free food on the way etc.....

I just feel like all that energy they have, maybe they could use it to do something good for the country.... That is all.

you are judging them, this travel is such a difficult that nobody does it for fun or for free food.

if you really love someone and you want to show it to your beloved one, you don't care to the rest of world, what they would like to say or judge.

sometimes i see that lovers do so many strange things to express their love, consider this travel a spiritual journey toward an Imam. then you will be able to understand people doing it every year.

Edited by Parto

• Advanced Member

you are judging them, this travel is such a difficult that nobody does it for fun or for free food.

Lol.... You are right, I'm sure they don't do it for the free food...

I just think that just as life went on even after the Prophets death, life must also go on after Imam Hussein's. as sad as that sounds, I'm afraid it's the way God intended it.

To mourn the tragedy of imam Hussein is VERY important. Yes, a public mourning lasting 1 or even 2 weeks is fine but from what I see this seems to take a huge chunk of some people lives over there. That is not right surely?!

• Advanced Member

What a stupid thread.

Sajjad (as) and Zaynab (as) walked. Therefore, we want to walk.

How dare anyone condemn someone for emulating them?

They walked because

1) they were forced to walk.

2) they had no other means of transport.

I didn't intend to be controversial with this thread and it is not stupid. I stated a valid LOGICAL observation.....

I've goy cousins back home doing this kind of thing. These long trips is not doing them any favours to be honest.

If good deeds are measured by kilometres then I would have started walking there from London!

• Advanced Member

My father has also raised this point, and I agree with you, two weeks is a lot of time. They should not spend that much time walking, at the very least, it should last them for 2-4 days. Or, if they do want to spend two weeks walking, they should not do it annually.

• Advanced Member

My father has also raised this point, and I agree with you, two weeks is a lot of time. They should not spend that much time walking, at the very least, it should last them for 2-4 days. Or, if they do want to spend two weeks walking, they should not do it annually.

I heard that the actual walk only took 3 days for a lot of people. Who walked 2 weeks from najaf to Karbala? The distance can be covered in much less a time.

Besides, like I mentioned in my earlier post it is not just the physical act of walking but the other things that occur during the walk that also commemorates Imam Hussain and is positive for the religion and its people.

• Advanced Member

I heard that the actual walk only took 3 days for a lot of people. Who walked 2 weeks from najaf to Karbala? The distance can be covered in much less a time.

Besides, like I mentioned in my earlier post it is not just the physical act of walking but the other things that occur during the walk that also commemorates Imam Hussain and is positive for the religion and its people.

I wasn't talking about walking between Najaf and Karbala, I was talking about walking to Karbala from farther distances.

Salaam,

One reason for the walk is for getting together with many other Shias. I see a sort of wisdom in it almost akin to a big congregation, or other Shia event. The brotherhood is important. The love that the locals show the travelers is amazing. It is an unforgettable experience.

As for walking, and the 'ahadeeth that speak of its benefits, there are lots of benefits in every step you take towards the shrines. We also have 'ahadeeth about every step we take towards a masjid being highly beneficial.

--------

From our teachings, we understand that the benefits we obtain may differ according to the levels we attain.

Edited by gogiison2

• Advanced Member

I wasn't talking about walking between Najaf and Karbala, I was talking about walking to Karbala from farther distances.

When rulers such as Saddam used to be in power he used to not only prohibit the civillans from visiting the grave of Aba Abdillah but those narrations of how before him people had to pay the cost of visiting the shrine through their limbs and even their lives makes me think they would love to walk for two weeks and we are ungrateful to chastise those who do so.

All I know is if Maula calls me inshAllah, I would say Labayk Ya Hussain and not worry about whether my time can be better spent.

• Advanced Member

Abu danaaa

Saddam, has for many years not allowed shia to express themselve in muhram. Now this people are not just walking for the hussain (as) but also to prove to the 3doo (enemy) that there not scared of the arhabiien.

True they can do more then just walking but there not just walking for fun.

They can do more to improve the country but how are they going to improve it if people are still unemployed? Noor al malki is cool,his doing his bit but he needs better people around him.

What should they do insided of walking,abu daanndann ?

• Advanced Member

When rulers such as Saddam used to be in power he used to not only prohibit the civillans from visiting the grave of Aba Abdillah but those narrations of how before him people had to pay the cost of visiting the shrine through their limbs and even their lives makes me think they would love to walk for two weeks and we are ungrateful to chastise those who do so.

All I know is if Maula calls me inshAllah, I would say Labayk Ya Hussain and not worry about whether my time can be better spent.

Like I've said before, if someone wants to walk for two weeks, they shouldn't make it an annual thing. People have a duty to work for their nation, and if every person leaves their duties and spends two weeks walking, it could have a very negative impact on the society in some way or another, and Imam Hussein (as) would not want that.

Edited by Kai

• Advanced Member

Like I've said before, if someone wants to walk for two weeks, they shouldn't make it an annual thing. People have a duty to work for their nation, and if every person leaves their duties and spends two weeks walking, it could have a very negative impact on the society in some way or another, and Imam Hussein (as) would not want that.

I don't think we'll need to worry about that because there will always be ample people like you and the op who wont participate. So everything will continue running.

Edited by *Sayyeda*

• Advanced Member

Hmmm....

Abu danaaa

Saddam, has for many years not allowed shia to express themselve in muhram. Now this people are not just walking for the hussain (as) but also to prove to the 3doo (enemy) that there not scared of the arhabiien.

True they can do more then just walking but there not just walking for fun.

They can do more to improve the country but how are they going to improve it if people are still unemployed? Noor al malki is cool,his doing his bit but he needs better people around him.

What should they do insided of walking,abu daanndann ?

Iraq has no chance of success regardless which party is in charge or the person at the top. Until Nepotism and bribery are eradicated then Iraq will only get worse. 10 years after saddam and look at the situation.... It's shameful.

An annual event to remember the tragedy of Karbala would suffice in my opinion but what do I know eh?!

I'd split the blame 50/50 between the government and the many religious leaders. Neither is serving the country in the right way.

I wonder what imam Hussein would make of this........

Anyway, I meant no offence. People will still walk... It's their lives not mine. But it hurts to see so many kids missing school. To grow up with no proper education is terrible.... Tut tut tut ... S sad.

• Advanced Member

2 weeks is the most walking only from those coming Basra, most others it's about 2-3 days or a week. I really don't think the walking makes that much of a difference considering the amount of corruption there is in the country's government and lack of development. On top of that, Arbaeen garners a signifcant amount of money and attention to Iraq, not that that should be used to justify the walk, as for schools I'm not sure but I think they should take school time off and then of course make it up later on in the year.

Edited by HassoonBazoon

• Advanced Member

Hmmm....

Iraq has no chance of success regardless which party is in charge or the person at the top. Until Nepotism and bribery are eradicated then Iraq will only get worse. 10 years after saddam and look at the situation.... It's shameful.

An annual event to remember the tragedy of Karbala would suffice in my opinion but what do I know eh?!

I'd split the blame 50/50 between the government and the many religious leaders. Neither is serving the country in the right way.

I wonder what imam Hussein would make of this........

Anyway, I meant no offence. People will still walk... It's their lives not mine. But it hurts to see so many kids missing school. To grow up with no proper education is terrible.... Tut tut tut ... S sad.

Why you hummming? Give alternatives as to what they should do instead of walking...

It doesnt help if people are getting killed and explose being sit up. Its not wajab to walk so they can still go school, plus I doudt they will miss much if not that main attend.

Whats shameful is fufus talking and not acting.

Just let them walk in peace and pray no one goes and bombs them.

• Advanced Member

Why you hummming? Give alternatives as to what they should do instead of walking...

It doesnt help if people are getting killed and explose being sit up. Its not wajab to walk so they can still go school, plus I doudt they will miss much if not that main attend.

Whats shameful is fufus talking and not acting.

Just let them walk in peace and pray no one goes and bombs them.

Men should work

Kids should go to school

Women should look after their homes

Here's a start......

Anyone who talks sense gets shouted down by those who much prefer it when the people they want to control are kept busy all year round mourning day after day.

Ashoura is an important event no doubt but the current excesses are unacceptable... IMHO