Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Did Angel Gabriel Make A Mistake?

Rate this topic

(salam)

A well known hadith from the works of the Ahlus Sunnah is not accepted by the Shi'a for obvious reasons is that of Sahih Muslim Volume 1 page 165-166.

"Gabriel came to the Apostle of Allah (sallallaho alaihi wasallem) while he was playing with playmates. He took hold of him and made him to lay (on his back) and ripped open his chest and took out the heart from it and then (he opened the heart) and extracted something that clung in it and said that was the part of Satan in thee. Then was washed it in a-gold basin with the water of zamzam, and closed it up, and restored it to its place. The boys came running to his foster mother i.e. nurse, and said verily Muhammad has been murdered. They all rushed towards him and found him changed in complexion. Anas said I myself saw the mark of stitching on his chest."

A website ["]http://www.thequrana...ay.php?book/45] which explains this hadith quite feebly says:

"It is reported that his chest was laid open about four times but the reports on the opening of his chest during his childhood and before his bodily ascent to seven heavens are in successive chain."

Many questions arise when you think about this hadith in depth.

Firstly, if Angel Jibra'il truly did rip open the Prophet's chest and cleaned his heart, would that mean that Angels are prone to mistakes also? This website also makes an uneducated mistake saying,

"[...] which part of the body contains those genes which inspire sex, disobedience, love and hatred etc. we know that all these feelings aspire from the heart, that the heart is seat of knowledge [...])."

It is very easy to point out that one does not think from the heart, the heart is but an organ of the body that pumps blood throughout the body. We all know that Allah (swt) does not punish a person if he/she thinks of doing a sin until he/she actually does it. Allah (swt) knows the Niyyah (intentions) of all his believers and is so merciful and generous that if a believer does the opposite (i.e. has the Niyyah to do a good deed) he/she will be rewarded as if actually doing the good deed. But the point is; one thinks, of doing acts of worship and disobedience with the brain and not with the heart. Yes, the heart is affected from our thoughts (stress), but does not directly influence us to carry out something. Functions of the heart: http://www.cpmc.org/...heartworks.html

Therefore, it should be noted that if one believes in this hadith is Sahih, then he or she is also claiming that Angels are not infallible because Angle Jibra'il missed his target and 'drained his heart from bad intentions instead of his brain.' If one actually takes the time to analyze this hadith, they can tell that this hadith not only accuses the Prophet of being fallible (as Shi'as denounce), but also accuses the Angel of being able to make mistakes! SubhanAllah!

Here is what al-islam.org has to say about this hadith:

Quote 1: "It is an unreal story which non-Muslim scholars have either ridiculed or taken as a proof of some of their untrue beliefs. For instance, it is advocated by some Christians that no human beings, even the Prophet of Islam, are infallible; rather they all perform faulty actions except Jesus Christ, who never was touched by Satan. They come to the conclusion that only Jesus was beyond the level of humanity, and he actually was a divine being in the shape of man. Thus, in their opinion, it must be assumed that Muhammad was an impure man, as it is shown by the story of splitting."

Quote 2: "Is it accurate to aver that the root of evil is a black drop in the heart, and something that requires a physical splitting and operation in order to get rid of it? Does this mean that whosoever has such a black drop can be a virtuous person if the black drop is removed from his heart by an operation? Or is it acceptable to say that this fact was specific only to the Prophet, and no one else can share this event with him? Then why should the Prophet be the only one among human beings whose heart contained this black drop and no one other than him?"

Quote 3: "Why should that operation have been repeated several times (four or five times) at great intervals, even a few years after the Mission, and at the time of the night journey (isra) and his ascent to heaven (micraj)? Was this repeated because the black drop, i.e. that satanic portion, was so tenacious in the Prophet's heart, to the extent that it kept growing, and returned again and again? Was that black drop like a cancer, a single operation to excise which was useless, so that it was in need of more extensive operations, one after another? If it were so, then why did that black drop not return after the fourth or fifth operation? Further, why should Allah torture and punish His Prophet by such a chastisement? Wasn't it possible for Him to create His apostle free and pure from any satanic black drop?"

Walaykum Salaam.

Edited by GodBlessAli
  • Advanced Member

I honestly dont think the books are sahih, clearly there are errors in it.

i kind of believe that story. signals that ufos visiting certain figures. i once read a book that some author reckons aliens visit earth and guide us with certain beliefs.The Assyrians the Jews the Japanese the aztecs etc have many of these strangers who visit and teach people and even have vehicles to fly.in this case the UFO beings visit Muhamed saaw and perform some mysterious surgery to make him superior or strengthen or heal a illness cause they chose him to lead his people. who knows whats the secrets and things going on. but thats my wild imagination and weakness of faith .

LOL Sunni hadiths are hit or miss. We (Shias) reject any of them that show that either prophet, Imams, or Angels made any mistakes.

The entire concept of Shia Islam is based on infalibility. Sunnies don't believe in this concept this think only Allah (swt) is pure and everyone else makes mistake. That is why they have so many nonse sense.

As Shias, we believe in concept of infalibility so anytime you hear anything like that, throw it out of window.

• Advanced Member

Aren't there Sunni hadiths (weak or otherwise) that says Omar should have been the 'Prophet' and Gabriel made a mistake?

But I'm definitely sure there is a sunni hadith that is attributed to Rasul (s) who says "if there was a messenger after me it will surely be Omar" lol

• Advanced Member

Off the real thread but Yes there is a Sunni Hadith that claims the Prophet made those comments about the 2nd Caliph, its an interesting point becasue i have brought that up in my discussions with Sunni friends of mine and enjoyed their reaction when an argument suddenly clicks and one gets that "I never thought of that" face, simply becuase this claim threatens and negates the legitimacy of the caliph-hood of the first caliph since if being a sunni you consider this Hadith to be true, which you have to since its your Sihah, then why didnt they in Saqifa choose Omer as the first caliph?

We all know Allah/Islam doesnot care for tribes, wealth, age, associations or any other factor except piety and this hadith implies that Omer was more capable, more deserving of Caliph-hood then the fisrt Caliph simply because he was of Nabi standard, Nabi Calibre, the only hurdle in his way to be a Nabi was that Muhammad (pbuh) is/was the last Nabi and Nabowat is/was closed after him, so logically if he could never have been a Nabi well then he should be the Caliph after Nabi right since caliphs are representative of Nabi especially the first four caliphs whose sole purpose supposedly was to guilde the new Ummah after Nabis (PBUT) death according to his teachings.

Edited by Zaydif74
  • 2 years later...
  • Advanced Member

<<<Aren't there Sunni hadiths (weak or otherwise) that says Omar should have been the 'Prophet' and Gabriel made a mistake?

But I'm definitely sure there is a sunni hadith that is attributed to Rasul (s) who says "if there was a messenger after me it will surely be Omar" lol >>>

i need the source. anyone have?

• Advanced Member

This hadith was quoted in some Sunni and Shia books, although the origin of hadith comes from Sunni books. There are many attitudes towards this hadith; all Sunni scholars have accepted it, while most of Shia scholars have rejected it.

Orientalists and many Muslim scholars do not trust the story and find the evidence therefore spurious.

For example, Dermenghem believes that this legend is only based on a verse from the Qur'an, and has no foundation other than the speculative interpretations of the verses which are depicted in sura al-Inshirah: ”Had We not revived [literally ”opened”] your breast. And had We not removed the burden which galled your back?” While this verse is mentioning to purification of the heart as preparation for receipt of the divine message.

Furthermore, Arab and Muslim historians who consistently assert that the life of the Arab Prophet is free of anything irrational or mysterious.

In contrary, according to some of Sunni sources, the splitting of the Prophet's chest took place several times. The narrators attempt to justify the repetition of the story as increasing his glory.

The first time occurred in his third year of age when he was among B. Sa'd, the second one occurred when he was ten, the third one at the time of his Commission, and the fourth at the time of the night journey and his ascent to heaven.

Unfortunately, while this hadith is so weak due to some reasons, some non-Muslim scholars have misused of it as their untrue belief. You can't fine any trace of this hadith in the saying of Ahlul Bayt (sa). Furthermore, this story is against some verses of Quran like this verse that Allah says:

قَالَ فَبِعِزَّتِكَ لَأُغْوِيَنَّهُمْ أَجْمَعِينَ *إِلَّا عِبَادَكَ مِنْهُمُ الْمُخْلَصِينَ

he said: then by thy might i will surely make them live an evil life, all except thy servants from among them, the purified ones.

According to this verse Satan has no dominance over purified servants like prophet.  

Although some Shia scholars have quoted this story as an allegory like Allameh Tabatabaei.

Wow clear evidence of open heart surgery 1400years back.

Subhanallah, muslims were so clever.

Oh hang on... Its Saheeh Muslim *sigh*

WOW! And that, my sibling (because if I say brother, I'm talking to a sister) is for the win.  Brilliantly done! :)

wasalaam,

R

• Advanced Member

according to sahih Muslim, the angel Gabriel failed to keep his promise with the holy prophet because there was a puppy dog in the house which even the prophet (s) himself forgot about. that made the holy prophet so angry that he ordered the killing of all dogs with the exception of a few that were suited for a specific purpose.

Maimuna reported that one morning Allah's Messenger (s) was silent with grief. Maimuna said:
Allah's Messenger, I find a change in your mood today. Allah's Messenger (s) said: Gabriel had promised me that he would meet me tonight, but he did not meet me. By Allah, he never broke his promises, and Allah's Messenger (s) spent the day in this sad (mood). Then it occurred to him that there had been a puppy under their cot. He commanded and it was turned out. He then took some water in his hand and sprinkled it at that place. When it was evening Gabriel met him and he said to him: you promised me that you would meet me the previous night. He said: Yes, but we do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture. Then on that very morning he commanded the killing of the dogs until he announced that the dog kept for the orchards should also be killed, but he spared the dog meant for the protection of extensive fields (or big gardens).

Sahih Muslim Hadith no. 2105

post-62240-0-67968100-1431284619_thumb.j