Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
aliasghark

Anti-Muslim Violence Spr Out Of Control In America

Rate this topic

Anti-Muslim violence spiralling out of control in America

Sen was pushed to death by a woman who "hated Muslims", as anti-Muslim bigotry in the US sinks to violent new depths.

On the evening of December 27, an Indian immigrant to America named Sunando Sen was pushed by a stranger onto the subway tracks in New York City and struck and killed by an oncoming train. Sen had called New York home for years, and after years of hard work and struggle had recently managed to achieve his lifelong goal of opening a small business of his own, a copy shop in Upper Manhattan.

His roommate, MD Khan expressed shock at the death of his friend, a soft spoken man who liked to stay up late watching comedy shows and listening to music: "He was so nice, gentle and quiet… It's broken my heart."

The following day, the NYPD announced the arrest of Erika Menendez, a 31-year-old woman who had been spotted on security footage fleeing the scene after Sen had been pushed. Upon being detained and taken to a 112th Precinct police station for questioning, Menendez confessed to Sen's murder and revealed as her motivation a desire to commit violence against Muslims. As she told detectives:

"I pushed a Muslim off the train tracks because I hate Hindus and Muslims… Ever since 2001 when they put down the Twin Towers, I've been beating them up."

Sunando Sen was not a Muslim, but as a brown-skinned foreigner living in the United States, he was targeted and killed in an act of hate which is the by-product of an ongoing campaign of bigotry and demonisation against Muslims living in America.

Muslim-Americans, as well as Hindus, Sikhs and others who purportedly "look Muslim" have been humiliated, assaulted and in many cases murdered by individuals often galvanised to violence by politicians and media figures who have enthusiastically engaged in public hatemongering against the Muslim community in the country.

Anti-Muslim violence increases

The 9/11 attacks precipitated a surge in hate crimes, but even as the events themselves recede further into history, the level of hatred and violence directed at Muslim communities is paradoxically increasing. Within the past month, in New York alone, police have suspected racial hatred as being the motive behind several crimes.

'Hate crime' on cards for Iraqi woman killed in US

This includes a string of murders specifically targeting Middle Eastern storekeepers in Brooklyn, the last of whom, a 78-year old Iranian immigrant named Rahmatollah Vahidipour, was shot to death while closing his boutique and whose lifeless body was then dragged to a backroom and covered over with merchandise from his store.

Within the same week as Vahidipour's murder another Muslim man was viciously beaten by two men who preceded their attack by asking him whether he was "a Hindu or a Muslim", while another man was stabbed several times outside of a mosque in a random attack by an assailant who screamed "I'm going to kill you Muslim", while repeatedly plunging a knife into his victims' body.

Far from being aberrations, these incidents are in line with national statistics which show anti-Muslim violence in America nearing record highs, a trend which comes in tandem with highly public campaigns against mosque construction as well as fear-mongering by politicians and media figures regarding alleged plots by Muslim-Americans to override the constitution and impose Islamic law on the country.

The US election cycle also saw Muslims used as convenient targets for politicians seeking office, with one example being incumbent Illinois House of Representatives Republican Joe Walsh who told a cheering crowd at a campaign rally that "Muslims are here trying to kill Americans everyday", before making a baseless and highly incendiary claim that radical Islam had "infiltrated" the Chicago suburbs and that Muslims there were planning an attack that would "make 9/11 look like child's play".

While working the crowd into hysterics was a convenient campaign strategy for Walsh, just days later the Muslim community experienced the consequences of his rhetoric. A man opened fire on an Illinois mosque while it was packed with hundreds of congregants for Ramadan. The next day, another mosque was hit with an acid bomb thrown at a window while worshippers had gathered for night services.

Despite these attacks against Illinois Muslims in the wake of his statements, Walsh steadfastly refused to apologise for his rhetoric demonising the Muslim-Americans and instead doubled-down on his blanket accusations against them, a reflection of the mainstream acceptability of anti-Muslim rhetoric by political figures in the US today.

Indeed the use of Muslims as a punching bag by opportunistic politicians seeking a minority group to scapegoat has become a regular feature of American political life which shows no signs of abating, despite the "trickle-down" effect by which this bigotry is now manifesting itself in real violence against innocent Muslim-Americans on a regular basis.

Behind this hatemongering lies a deep cynicism, as leading anti-Muslim politicians such as Newt Gingrich who have warned of "stealth jihad" and other nefarious plots by Muslims in America were within recent years helping facilitate Sharia-compliant finance programmes in the country and who maintained notably cordial relations with prominent Muslim leaders.

Political hatemongering

With Muslim-bashing becoming politically fashionable in recent years, politicians such as Gingrich have markedly changed their tune and it has been to the detriment of Muslim-Americans, as well as to the general level of social cohesion and tolerance in the country.

In addition to political hatemongering, the past several years have seen a highly organised and well-funded group of anti-Muslim activists who have been sponsoring campaigns targeting Muslims across the country.

Leading figures in this movement such as Pamela Geller and Robert Spencer have led a crusade to vilify Muslims throughout the country and to exclude them from public life through campaigns of smears and hate-mongering which have cast Muslim-Americans as an insidious fifth column within the country.

Their views have gotten considerable popular attention, and thanks to a documented network of funders and media associates they have managed to bring their message to people across the United States.

In the past few months, a major controversy erupted when Geller's anti-Muslim organisation sponsored the placement of Islamophobic advertisements at major subway stations in New York as well as in other cities across the country.

Some advertisements depicted pictures of the 9/11 attacks with verses from the Quran superimposed, while others called Muslims "savages" and implored people to "fight Jihad". While the campaign has been challenged by many liberal commentators, including one infamous incident in which Egyptian-American activist Mona Eltahawy was arrested for attempting to cover a sign with pink spray paint, they continue to run across the country and to spread a message of indiscriminate, vitriolic hatred towards Muslim-Americans in a manner unlikely to be tolerated were it to pertain to any other minority group.

While correlation does not necessarily imply causation, the question must be asked - what effect do advertisements such as these have on the psyches' of people such as Erika Menendez? Was Sunando Sen, a law-abiding, hardworking immigrant who had given his life to achieving the American dream and who was pushed to his death by a woman who "hated Muslims" a direct victim of this campaign of bigotry? That he lost his life on the same subway system which for months has played host to hateful, incendiary advertisements such as Geller's is a tragic irony but is in many ways the natural result of a national culture of anti-Muslim bigotry that has become mainstream in both politics and popular culture.

The sad, inescapable truth is that Sen will likely not be the last victim of the accelerating phenomena of violence against Muslims in the United States - the only question today is how far into the darkness America must travel before it decides to take a stand against it.

Murtaza Hussain is a Toronto-based writer and analyst focused on issues related to Middle Eastern politics.

Follow him on Twitter: @MazMHussain

The views expressed in this article are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect Al Jazeera's editorial policy.

Source: Al Jazeera

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/12/20121230135815198642.html

We're generally safe in the United States though- most Americans are kind hearted and not racist (at least where I live) and they can mind their own business. We can protest any American prejudices we encounter with our manners. Instead of feeling bad for ourselves for living in a democratic country where we can do what we want safely, we should shed light and attention to the genocide of Shias in Pakistan- they're being killed 24/7 at random just for being Shia.

I beg to differ. You're being more than persecuted. Get out of there while you still can. Set up in a Muslim or truly secular country that doesn't have such a overwhelming number of crazed hellspawn and bigots. STOP PAYING YOUR TAXES TO AND POWERING THE SATANIC STATES. Move. Don't you fear Allah and think you will be held accountable for powering their economy and systems that then enslaves and mass murders all humanity?

We're safe in the United States and they're doing us a favor by allowing us to practice our religion safely, away from the threat of any Taliban trying to kill us, and the United States is willing to even let cops protect our mosques and julooses, while shia mosques and julooses in Pakistan are being bombed and attacked. We shouldn't pity ourselves for living in the West because there aren't any major threats, we should be glad we live in safe places, but we need to do more to help our vulnerable brothers and sisters in Pakistan, Syria, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain, all of which are "muslim" countries that don't even allow muslims to practice.

Living in America is safer than in many less developed countries, but less so than in most other advanced economies. The largest proportion of people that are murdered are not Muslims, Sikhs or Hindus, they are economically disadvantaged black people, killed by other economically disadvantaged black people in poor neighborhoods throughout the US.

Most Americans do not stand for the type of hate that is indicated in the AlJazeera editorial above. She will be tried and hopefully never live free again. I'd like to know what proportion of Christian haters, women haters and Shia haters in the Middle East are tried and punished for their violent crimes against minority groups.

Great countries create environments where all kinds of people, with all kinds of religious beliefs can live free lives. While there clearly is a lot to be improved, America by that definition is still one of the great countries.

I beg to differ. You're being more than persecuted. Get out of there while you still can. Set up in a Muslim or truly secular country that doesn't have such a overwhelming number of crazed hellspawn and bigots. STOP PAYING YOUR TAXES TO AND POWERING THE SATANIC STATES. Move. Don't you fear Allah and think you will be held accountable for powering their economy and systems that then enslaves and mass murders all humanity?

Islam is a social religion in which we are encouraged to show people of all different backgrounds our good akhlaq and how that reflects off of our religious beliefs.

Surah al-Buruj:

10. Those who persecute the believing men and the believing women and then do not repent, for them there surely is the punishment of Hell, for them there is the punishment of burning fire.

We aren't being persecuted in the USA/ the West, but by not speaking out on behalf of our brothers being persecuted in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, we are in turn persecuting them!

We are NOT being more persecuted! Are Shias in the USA being pulled over on busses and being mass murdered? Are we at any risk praying in a mosque in the West? No!

Islam is a social religion in which we are encouraged to show people of all different backgrounds our good akhlaq and how that reflects off of our religious beliefs.

We aren't being persecuted in the USA/ the West, but by not speaking out on behalf of our brothers being persecuted in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, we are in turn persecuting them!

We are NOT being more persecuted! Are Shias in the USA being pulled over on busses and being mass murdered? Are we at any risk praying in a mosque in the West? No!

I was thinking the other day, if I was in Saudi Arabia in one of those Wahabi cities, and praying with open Arms and a Mohr\Turbah, what would have happend.

It's not bad here. I can blend in since I'm a white convert, but I've gotten dirty looks if I'm out with kufi on. I'll take that over being attacked.

Not bad? Its great. Much better than many other so called Muslim countries. We have Muslim meet ups at starbucks and pray in public no one hurts us. Now see if a Shia pray in a Salafi\Wahabi Sunni country see what happens.

We're safe in the United States and they're doing us a favor by allowing us to practice our religion safely, away from the threat of any Taliban trying to kill us, and the United States is willing to even let cops protect our mosques and julooses, while shia mosques and julooses in Pakistan are being bombed and attacked. We shouldn't pity ourselves for living in the West because there aren't any major threats, we should be glad we live in safe places, but we need to do more to help our vulnerable brothers and sisters in Pakistan, Syria, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain, all of which are "muslim" countries that don't even allow muslims to practice.

Yup.

Edited by faithfuls.org

My Sunni friends were at an amusement park and were in a very long line- well over an hour wait- they did namaz in line! People stayed behind them, even though there was a gap and no people in front of my friends, and people were respectful! This was in the American South!

My Sunni friends were at an amusement park and were in a very long line- well over an hour wait- they did namaz in line! People stayed behind them, even though there was a gap and no people in front of my friends, and people were respectful! This was in the American South!

Ya I see that everyday and I am part of that everyday. Ignorant people are here and there in US but majority are law abiding people. The problem is that the image the so called Islamic regimes show of America in their countries is whats misleading their own people.

Being fair is a responsibility of a Muslim who follows Ahlulbayt. I am being treated more than OK here, and I first thank Allah, then Ahlulbayt, then American people for allowing me be here and practice my religion freely.

Ya Ali

I cant belive what im reading! Its not safe here for anybody not even non muslims! Sure its not as bad as pakistan, but its similar like the poster said blacks and gangmembers especially gangmembers are killing each other over drugs, crime is high here, the drug trade is booming. Look at chicagos murder rate 500 people half us deaths in Iraq which was nearly 9 years! Look at the rapes and assults. Look at the Hate crimes against muslims, some goes unreported. just because some americans are tolerant doesnt mean we should repect sin and immorality!

I was thinking the other day, if I was in Saudi Arabia in one of those Wahabi cities, and praying with open Arms and a Mohr\Turbah, what would have happend.

Not bad? Its great. Much better than many other so called Muslim countries. We have Muslim meet ups at starbucks and pray in public no one hurts us. Now see if a Shia pray in a Salafi\Wahabi Sunni country see what happens.

Yup.

I was mainly talking about the recent string of attacks on Mosques and the attacks in NYC. You have a very valid point though. It is much safer here than in other countries.

What was safer was your little stay in this world. What about the afterlife? And its not even as safe anymore. Its infinitely better to be a martyr than to dedicate your lives to manpower their Satanic systems. They help Taliban and FSA and all terrorists. They help Saudi. Dollar is tied with Saudi petrol. They created Saudi and Kharijiism. And you're serving and powering their machinery that is the perdition for every soul on this planet. Your excuse is unislamic. Realize and contemplate what I've written.

Yes we should all go to Iran where we wont be able to buy houses, own businesses, or have our children barred from school system.... or even Saudi Arabia where we might be imprisoned for the crime of being shia where shia = Iranian spies.

United States is more Islamic in most aspects of life than all of Islamic states put together.

Unlike Iran you wont be treated as a fourth class citizen for being a migrant, unlike Pakistan you wont be blown to pieces and murdered for being shia, or unlike Saudi Arabia your female folks would be safe from sexual advances of pious young bored Saudis.

Why are people talking about other countries and Shia persecution? Nobody is saying America is the worst place to live, or that Shia Muslims in particular are in danger there.

Anti-Muslim violence in America - is it not a problem?

Why are people talking about other countries and Shia persecution? Nobody is saying America is the worst place to live, or that Shia Muslims in particular are in danger there.

Anti-Muslim violence in America - is it not a problem?

They are gharbzadegis, they cannot imagine a life where they are not constantly worshipping America.

Generally speaking, The United States is a safe place for Muslims. There are problems to be fixed for sure, but there's no Gestapo coming to round us up and throw us into concentration camps and most Americans are respectful of Muslims' rights to worship and to privacy. Where there are problems, many Americans try to work together with Muslims to fix things and educate others. And for Shia in particular, we're much safer here than in most of the Middle East. Where there are injustices here, we have a real platform to push for change and action. There are plenty of countries that are better for Muslims than the United States, but we have it pretty decent here.

They are gharbzadegis, they cannot imagine a life where they are not constantly worshipping America.

If you have read any of our posts here, you'd see that we can be just as critical of our country's foreign policy as you non-Americans, but our social lives here don't necessarily concern how our government behaves towards Israel or Syria or Libya or whatever country outside our own. Countries can have very bad policies with other nations while still having a social atmosphere that is pretty good for its own citizens. Might I suggest that if you don't live here and have never been here before that you take into account our own first hand experiences being immigrants and born natives here when forming your picture of our society unless you are happy basing your opinions purely on caricatures and conjecture like so many anti-Muslim citizens and politicians do here when they try to talk about Muslims and the Muslim world in general. I'm sure you don't like foreigners telling you what life is like in your country and refusing to listen to anything you say that runs contrary to their perceptions of you and your people.

Edited by Saintly_Jinn23

Yea even I have observed that Shias are much more safe in the other countries then Muslim one, India make world second largest Shia population after iran but we are very much safe then the so called Muslim countries.

The people may well be tolerant and law abiding, the country may well be safer compared to others. But when the gov. are able to arrest and detain you indefinately, without the need of a trial or evidence; then you simply are not safe. What is the point of those law abiding people, if those very laws are bigoted in the first place?

It could all go wrong very easily and very quickly. So please dont fall into a false sense of security..keep your eyes wide open..

Edited by Asr

I cant belive what im reading! Its not safe here for anybody not even non muslims! Sure its not as bad as pakistan, but its similar like the poster said blacks and gangmembers especially gangmembers are killing each other over drugs, crime is high here, the drug trade is booming. Look at chicagos murder rate 500 people half us deaths in Iraq which was nearly 9 years! Look at the rapes and assults. Look at the Hate crimes against muslims, some goes unreported. just because some americans are tolerant doesnt mean we should repect sin and immorality!

The word of interest is gangmembers. Unless you're part of a gang or are prone to start conflicts, you won't be victim of violence in the United States (there's always the risk of random spontaneous things though, but those can be rare.)

The key to understanding this is while the United States isn't a perfect place to live, they have horrible foreign policy, and they are sanctioning Iran- I'm not endorsing it but I'm trying to get everyone to understand that we shouldn't victimize ourselves and make anti-muslim violence in the USA a problem when we would face even more problems living in "muslim" countries.

The word of interest is gangmembers. Unless you're part of a gang or are prone to start conflicts, you won't be victim of violence in the United States (there's always the risk of random spontaneous things though, but those can be rare.)

The key to understanding this is while the United States isn't a perfect place to live, they have horrible foreign policy, and they are sanctioning Iran- I'm not endorsing it but I'm trying to get everyone to understand that we shouldn't victimize ourselves and make anti-muslim violence in the USA a problem when we would face even more problems living in "muslim" countries.

wrong, so your saying you only have to be a gang member to face violence,are the innocent people killed in Chicago and other cities gang members? What about the tapes and assaults?

Typo Rapes

wrong, so your saying you only have to be a gang member to face violence,are the innocent people killed in Chicago and other cities gang members? What about the tapes and assaults?

Typo Rapes

"Chicago gang violence"

Yes, people are caught in the crossfire but you don't understand my point. We're talking about anti muslim violence, and being caught in a crossfire at random is not anti muslim it's just inhumane. What are you trying to point out to me? Read the title of this forum then comment.

Another Muslim was attacked a few days ago http://www.loonwatch.com/2013/01/deputies-say-middle-eastern-man-shot-at-walmart-for-dating-white-girl-was-a-hate-crime/

LUTZ, Florida – It is a shocking crime in a highly-populated place: Walmart.

A man and his girlfriend were shot at 20 times with an Airsoft BB pistol as they were entering the Walmart Super Center at 1575 Land O’Lakes Boulevard in Lutz around 3 a.m.

But what’s possibly more shocking — and even more sinister –is the motive behind the crime.

The Pasco County Sheriff’s Office is investigating this case heavily, because it’s considered a hate crime. The young couple in their twenties was targeted because the man was of Middle Eastern descent and was dating a white woman, according to documents.

The shooter saw the couple and was “relentless,” said Pasco Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Doug Tobin.

The shooter, also believed to be in his twenties, spotted the man and his girlfriend and began screaming at them, taunting them, and yelled out racial slurs, detectives say. He asked the young man if he was Middle Eastern and if he was a Muslim.

Then the suspect pulled out the pellet gun and opened fire, calling the man a “n—– with a white girl.”

Twenty tiny rounds were fired from the BB pistol. Two hit the young man.

“This will not be tolerated in Pasco County,” said Sheriff Chris Nocco on Wednesday morning. “We are putting all of our resources into solving this.”

The couple, who is not being identified for safety reasons, was reportedly shaken by the traumatic event. The young man is currently recovering after being struck in the face.

The Muslim civil rights group CAIR, the Council on American-Islamic Relations, is calling for the feds to get involved.

“We urge the FBI to investigate this case because it seems to fit a disturbing pattern of recent incidents targeting Muslims in Florida and nationwide,” said CAIR-Tampa executive director Hassan Shibly in a statement.

The hate crime was caught on camera at Walmart, but the video has not yet been released. The shooter is being described as a young man in his twenties with short blonde hair, no visible tattoos, last seen wearing a brown jacket, blue jeans, and green sandals. He was tracked by K-9s, but got away after he took off running.

Frequent Walmart shoppers were stunned by the news. “There are still idiots out there [in 2013] who do this sort of thing,” said Cathy Breitenbach. “It’s sad really.”

Karen Garcia told 10 News, “I’m so surprised. This is a great town to live in and raise kids. I shop here every single Monday. I may bring my husband with me now.”

Sheriff’s spokesperson Doug Tobin added, “We are taking this very seriously and are hoping that someone who may have seen this will come forward and help us. This couple was just minding their own business.”

But you don't understand the bigger picture- violence like above is a problem everywhere but this post is about anti-muslim violence which is more rampant in "muslim" countries than non-muslim ones. A few hours ago in Pakistan 2 Imambarghas were attacked but it was just the usual- which is horrible.

Sure, America might be better than Pakistan in this respect. Why not open a separate thread about Pakistan though?

The point of the original article seems to be that anti-Muslim hate and violence has been growing in America and is getting out of control now.

This is an opinion piece that offers no statistics and no figures that show a concrete increase in anti-muslim crime year to year. I'd wager he doesn't have any evidence because it doesn't exist or if it does, he's a piss poor journalist that fails at research.

If a toronto based journalist on Al Jazeera lamented the crimes of Al-Assad or human rights in Iran or called Hezbollah a terrorist organization, and offered nothing but speculation and opinion but tried to pass it as facts and omitted key points that he knows would deflate his own arguments, how much credence would he be given by some on this forum?

Sure there are people that hate Muslims in the US, just as there are some that hate Jews, Catholics and other faith groups, as well as the myriad races that run the spectrum of Americas more than quarter billion population. But to use "spiralling out of control" and other colorful rhetoric to fuel his argument (and thats what it is, not a factually reinforced statement) is fear mongering of a different kind.

This is an opinion piece that offers no statistics and no figures that show a concrete increase in anti-muslim crime year to year. I'd wager he doesn't have any evidence because it doesn't exist or if it does, he's a piss poor journalist that fails at research.

If a toronto based journalist on Al Jazeera lamented the crimes of Al-Assad or human rights in Iran or called Hezbollah a terrorist organization, and offered nothing but speculation and opinion but tried to pass it as facts and omitted key points that he knows would deflate his own arguments, how much credence would he be given by some on this forum?

Sure there are people that hate Muslims in the US, just as there are some that hate Jews, Catholics and other faith groups, as well as the myriad races that run the spectrum of Americas more than quarter billion population. But to use "spiralling out of control" and other colorful rhetoric to fuel his argument (and thats what it is, not a factually reinforced statement) is fear mongering of a different kind.

You're right. Is there a place we can go to to find statistics on American anti-Muslim crime?

Thanks brother. There should have been a chart showing the anti-Muslim data over time too..

Ok found this:

FBI: Anti-Muslim hate crimes still up

Statistics released today suggest that the numbers haven't dipped since an unprecedented 50 percent spike in 2010

Hate crimes against perceived Muslims, which jumped up 50% in 2010 largely as a result of anti-Muslim propagandizing, remained at relatively high levels last year, according to 2011 hate crime statistics released today by the FBI.

The bureau reported that there were 157 reported anti-Muslim hate crimes in 2011, down slightly from the 160 recorded in 2010. The 2011 crimes occurred during a period when Islam-bashing propaganda, which initially took off in 2010, continued apace.

The FBI statistics, which are compilations of state numbers, are notoriously understated. Two Department of Justice studies have indicated that the real level of hate crimes in America is some 20-30 times the number reported in the FBI statistics, in part because some 56% of hate crimes are never reported to police and more than half of those that are are mischaracterized as non-hate crimes. Nevertheless, the FBI statistics can be used to get a sense of general trends.

Last year saw continued high levels of anti-Muslim propaganda such as the crusade by some against the alleged Muslim plan to impose religious Shariah law on the United States. There were a number of local battles over the construction of new mosques, and several were attacked by apparent Islamophobes.

At the same time, the FBI statistics suggested that there was a 31% drop in anti-Latino hate crimes, from 534 in 2010 to 405 last year. It’s not clear what might be behind that drop, other than an apparent diminution in anti-Latino and anti-immigrant propaganda as negative attention focused on Muslims.

Other hate crime categories remained relatively steady. Anti-Jewish hate crimes fell from 887 in 2010 to 771 last year, while anti-LGBT hate crimes rose slightly, from 1,256 to 1,277. Anti-black hate crimes also fell slightly, continuing a trend of dropping from a high of 2,876 in 2008 (when Barack Obama appeared on the national political scene, fueling anti-black hatred in some quarters) to 2,076 last year.

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/10/fbi_anti_muslim_hate_crimes_still_up/

The thing to keep in mind with those stats though, is that "hate crime" is a broad sprectrum ranging from verbal harassment, workplace discrimination, to actual physical violence.

The author of the AJE article, who doesn't reside in the US, uses rhetoric to paint a picture that muslims in the US face constant and increasing daily danger, which numerous posters in this thread who actually live in the US, rebutted.

If I have the time, I'll try to find a more specific breakdown of anti-muslim acts in America. I remain convinced that Muslims, although the target of hate groups, suffer no crime at a rate higher against then than any other average American.

If I have the time, I'll try to find a more specific breakdown of anti-muslim acts in America. I remain convinced that Muslims, although the target of hate groups, suffer no crime at a rate higher against then than any other average American.

That would be saying the propaganda didn't have any effect at all - it goes against several reports of escalated violence against American Muslims.

Here's some more suggested reading:

New Report Details Funding Sources Behind Anti-Muslim Fearmongers

Posted in Anti-Muslim, Extremist Propaganda by Robert Steinback on August 26, 2011

The rising tide of Islamophobia in the United States is not a natural or spontaneous outgrowth of popular fear of Muslim fundamentalist terrorism, nor is it the product of a vast right-wing conspiracy. Rather, it is the design of “a small, tightly networked group of misinformation experts guiding an effort that reaches millions of Americans through effective advocates, media partners, and grassroots organizing,” according to a powerful investigative report released today by the progressive think tank Center for American Progress (CAP).

Entitled “Fear, Inc.: The Roots of the Islamophobia Network in America,” the 130-page report asserts that five “experts” are primarily responsible for the dissemination of false facts and materials used by political leaders, grassroots groups and the media to generate unreasonable fears about Muslims and Islam. Since the 9/11 attacks in 2001, seven foundations have provided over $42 million in support for this focused campaign, the report determined.

“This small network of people is driving the national and global debates that have real consequences on the public dialogue and on American Muslims,” the report said. “Due in part to the relentless efforts of this small group of individuals and organizations, Islam is now the most negatively viewed religion in America.”

The five key misinformation experts identified by the report:Frank Gaffney at the Center for Security Policy (see also here);David Yerushalmi at the Society of Americans for National Existence (see also here); Daniel Pipes at the Middle East Forum;Robert Spencer of Jihad Watch and Stop Islamization of America (see also here), and Steven Emerson of the Investigative Project on Terrorism.

Their research – which is routinely exaggerated, deceptively selective or outright false – empowers key “grassroots” activists, particularly Brigitte Gabriel of ACT! for America, Pamela Geller of Stop Islamization of America (see also here and here), and David Horowitz of the David Horowitz Freedom Center; and a small group of “validators” of Middle Eastern extraction, including Nonie Darwish, Zuhdi Jasser, Walid Phares and Walid Shoebat, the report said.

The report reaffirms and amplifies several earlier analyses, including this one (see also here) by the Southern Poverty Law Center, regarding the roles of these key players in inflaming public animosity against Muslims. In meticulous detail, the report debunks many of the central tenets put forth by the “experts” of Islamophobia, and tracks how their flawed assertions metastasize through the right-wing media and political echo chamber.

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2011/08/26/new-report-details-funding-sources-behind-anti-muslim-fearmongers/

"Chicago gang violence"

Yes, people are caught in the crossfire but you don't understand my point. We're talking about anti muslim violence, and being caught in a crossfire at random is not anti muslim it's just inhumane. What are you trying to point out to me? Read the title of this forum then comment.

i know the tittle of the thread, I was just saying that America is not safe for anybody. I was just correcting you because you said only gang members face violence

Oh and in case anyone missed the actual report:

Fear, Inc.

The Roots of the Islamophobia Network in America

islamophobia_onpage.jpg

Anti-Muslim graffiti defaces a Shi'ite mosque at the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn, Michigan.

By Wajahat Ali, Eli Clifton, Matthew Duss, Lee Fang, Scott Keyes, and Faiz Shakir | August 26, 2011

On July 22, a man planted a bomb in an Oslo government building that killed eight people. A few hours after the explosion, he shot and killed 68 people, mostly teenagers, at a Labor Party youth camp on Norway’s Utoya Island.

By midday, pundits were speculating as to who had perpetrated the greatest massacre in Norwegian history since World War II. Numerous mainstream media outlets, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Atlantic, speculated about an Al Qaeda connection and a “jihadist” motivation behind the attacks. But by the next morning it was clear that the attacker was a 32-year-old, white, blond-haired and blue-eyed Norwegian named Anders Breivik. He was not a Muslim, but rather a self-described Christian conservative.

According to his attorney, Breivik claimed responsibility for his self-described “gruesome but necessary” actions. On July 26, Breivik told the court that violence was “necessary” to save Europe from Marxism and “Muslimization.” In his 1,500-page manifesto, which meticulously details his attack methods and aims to inspire others to extremist violence, Breivik vows “brutal and breathtaking operations which will result in casualties” to fight the alleged “ongoing Islamic Colonization of Europe.”

Breivik’s manifesto contains numerous footnotes and in-text citations to American bloggers and pundits, quoting them as experts on Islam’s “war against the West.” This small group of anti-Muslim organizations and individuals in our nation is obscure to most Americans but wields great influence in shaping the national and international political debate. Their names are heralded within communities that are actively organizing against Islam and targeting Muslims in the United States.

Breivik, for example, cited Robert Spencer, one of the anti-Muslim misinformation scholars we profile in this report, and his blog, Jihad Watch, 162 times in his manifesto. Spencer’s website, which “tracks the attempts of radical Islam to subvert Western culture,” boasts another member of this Islamophobia network in America, David Horowitz, on his Freedom Center website. Pamela Geller, Spencer’s frequent collaborator, and her blog, Atlas Shrugs, was mentioned 12 times.

Geller and Spencer co-founded the organization Stop Islamization of America, a group whose actions and rhetoric the Anti-Defamation League concluded “promotes a conspiratorial anti-Muslim agenda under the guise of fighting radical Islam. The group seeks to rouse public fears by consistently vilifying the Islamic faith and asserting the existence of an Islamic conspiracy to destroy “American values.” Based on Breivik’s sheer number of citations and references to the writings of these individuals, it is clear that he read and relied on the hateful, anti-Muslim ideology of a number of men and women detailed in this report&a select handful of scholars and activists who work together to create and promote misinformation about Muslims.

While these bloggers and pundits were not responsible for Breivik’s deadly attacks, their writings on Islam and multiculturalism appear to have helped create a world view, held by this lone Norwegian gunman, that sees Islam as at war with the West and the West needing to be defended. According to former CIA officer and terrorism consultant Marc Sageman, just as religious extremism “is the infrastructure from which Al Qaeda emerged,” the writings of these anti-Muslim misinformation experts are “the infrastructure from which Breivik emerged.” Sageman adds that their rhetoric “is not cost-free.”

These pundits and bloggers, however, are not the only members of the Islamophobia infrastructure. Breivik’s manifesto also cites think tanks, such as the Center for Security Policy, the Middle East Forum, and the Investigative Project on Terrorism—three other organizations we profile in this report. Together, this core group of deeply intertwined individuals and organizations manufacture and exaggerate threats of “creeping Sharia,” Islamic domination of the West, and purported obligatory calls to violence against all non-Muslims by the Quran.

Read more at http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/religion/report/2011/08/26/10165/fear-inc/

I think laying all of the blame on a network of Islamaphobes is a disengenuinous cop out. Sure, they play their part in fueling Islamaphobia, but so do some of your wayward kin.

People that have never heard of Pamela Geller and her hateful compatriots will form opinions on Islam :

-When the news reports on that teenge Afghani girl Ayesha having her nose and ears cut off for fleeing an abusive family. Or anything the Taliban does under the auspices of its interpretation of Islam, for that matter.

-When Boko Haram bombs a church on a near monthly basis

-When an obscure, sophmoric "film" enrages parts of the Muslim world to violence against people that had nothing to do with it

-Anything the Saudis and their wahabbi stooges do.

The list can go on.

Its worth noting that I didn't make that list to denigrate your faith, I know enough to know whats listed is an aberration(as fas as I know) but to show that its not just anti-Islamic propagandists that fuel a negative perception of Islam. Laying the blame primarily on fringe elements of the American far right absolves all of your wayward kin of their deviance.

Edited by Izrail