Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ali-Reza

Movie The Message, Bad For Islam

Rate this topic

While Muslims take pride in the movie the message, in my opinion it is one of the worse movies about Islam. Yes it does have some exciting parts that makes a Muslim emotional, but it clearly is a movie made by those believe in companion not Ahlulbayt leadership and using their references and ahadith to make the movie hence deceiving more of Muslims, including Shias, that was actually what happened.

Many people reference to that movie, and subconsciously thinking that what happened is what the movie described what happened? That prophet Mohammad (pbuh) was in Hira cave "mediating" and all of the sudden he saw angel jibreel and prophet was running away from him and jibreel kept showing up in front of his face.

Nothing could be further from truth according to Ahlulbayt teaching. Our prophet was born as a prophet and he had frequent visits from Angel jibreel, and when Imam Ali (as) was born he raised him, made him Muslim from day one teaching all the teachings of Islam preparing him for the religion and his succession and when he was in Hira cave, he was not there to mediate and to pray and Imam Ali (as) was there with him. And that is why Imam Ali (as) was the first Muslim.

Of course according to Sunni sources, narrated by Aisha, her father Abu Bakr was also among first Muslims. A man who lived most of his life in ignorance all of the sudden turns Muslim!!!!! (then rejects the very first Muslim Ali and becomes the Caliph...isn't this odd?)

Now why do I say this movie is dangerous and bad for Islam? Because people are visual, and rather investigating a ton of hadith books and going to school to learn what really happened, and decide based on intellect and logic, they rather go by a movie!

It happens all the time people learn better using movies than texts because they use more senses in observing information. So when they see the movie, they feel "well that must be true or else it would not have been approved" but the approval was mainly by Sunnis not Shias.

And that's what troubling. I personally as a Shia, grew up to believe that story that I saw in the movie and I know for fact many other Shias as well. And when you tell them about what actually happened, people even Shias, end up arguing with you that you are wrong.

Solution - while we are waiting for Imam Mahdi (as) (may Allah hasten his return), we can attempt to clear this out by educating ourselves and others, to the best we can using valid sources and logic, also a perhaps a remake of the movie "the message, the true story" or something like that to show the world our prospective.

When Allah (swt) told our prophet to "iqra" which means "recite", it was as "oh Mohammad (pbuh) recite the message to the people" according to Ahlulbayt interpretation. And our holy prophet didn't respond "oh I don't know how to read" because the verse had nothing to do with reading. It was about reciting the message, the Quran, to the people.

Anyway I thought I get this out of my chest, this movie is deceiving and if I had kids, I wouldn't show it to my kids.

People are very visual indeed, I agree with what you said!! And to make you feel better I've read that Majid Majidi (iranian filmmaker) has spent over 3 years writing the script for a 3 part movie about the prophet pbuh&f.

If you have seen one of the movies of Majid Majidi, you know its going to be AMAZING inshAlaah.

But let us not wait and let us turn shia islam more visual! :D

The film was curtailed to appease BOTH Sunnis and Shias. (As is evident from the message that is shown right in the beginning of the film)

Being made by a sunni you have to give credit at some places where its due, infact a huge effort was made by wahabies to ban the film (they were using the excuse that Abu Bakr's shadow could be seen on the camel when the Prophet S.A.W was entering Medina, a very absurd claim as the supposed shadow could only be seen for a couple of seconds and is not noticeable unless you really look for it). The real reason they try to ban or stop it from being shown was because I believe it showed a lot of stuff such as Amr Ibn Aas's true character and actions during the time of the Prophet S.A.W (as he is revered as a sahaba by these people lol).

It shows how Ali A.S took the place of the Prophet S.A.W when he escaped from Mecca and how perplexed the Quraish were. It shows how Hamza A.S and Imam Ali A.S contributed so much at Badr and how they killed members of Muawiya's family (his grandad and his uncle) and it shows a very VITAL SCENE where HIND curses Prophet S.A.W, Hamza A.S and Ali A.S (signifying what kind of hatred they had for Prophet S.A.W AND HIS ENTIRE FAMILY).

And another example on how they tried to appease both schools was how they portrayed Abu Talib A.S, they show him as being very loving and caring and protective to the Prophet S.A.W, and they dont specifically mention whether he died as a Kafir (Nauzubillah, which is of course what the sunnis believe) or as a Muslim (which we know he did)

So being made by a sunni i guess it was a decent and neutral effort, as i'm pretty sure the new series being made in Qatar is going to be fully Salafi endorsed and financed and influenced :no:

I do agree with some of the things you mentioned that were left out (such as Wiliayat, Mubahila, Ghadir Khumm etc, Prophet being Prophet since beginning). That's why I cant wait for the new Iranian movies, they will be amazing InshAllah

Edited by Kirmani

While Muslims take pride in the movie the message, in my opinion it is one of the worse movies about Islam. Yes it does have some exciting parts that makes a Muslim emotional, but it clearly is a movie made by those believe in companion not Ahlulbayt leadership and using their references and ahadith to make the movie hence deceiving more of Muslims, including Shias, that was actually what happened.

Many people reference to that movie, and subconsciously thinking that what happened is what the movie described what happened? That prophet Mohammad (pbuh) was in Hira cave "mediating" and all of the sudden he saw angel jibreel and prophet was running away from him and jibreel kept showing up in front of his face.

And that's what troubling. I personally as a Shia, grew up to believe that story that I saw in the movie and I know for fact many other Shias as well. And when you tell them about what actually happened, people even Shias, end up arguing with you that you are wrong.

When Allah (swt) told our prophet to "iqra" which means "recite", it was as "oh Mohammad (pbuh)

Anyway I thought I get this out of my chest, this movie is deceiving and if I had kids, I wouldn't show it to my kids.

Yes youre right if a Movie is based on fact or biography it seem to gain the instant trust of the audience too easily , I can't believe some of the movies based on fact which weren't really , like JFK , hurricane, the message with its sources shown in the opening def lead the viewer into thinking everything will be perfectly accurate when it may not be... however the other side of the coin is still shiny , at least non Muslims got a glimpse into Islam, especially for those who would never pick up a book or watch a historical doc anyway, and to say deceiving is strong since the movie was not made to mislead , it was merely conforming to the majority perspective as you said, and even so I think what the movie conveyed was still positive and touching, I'd let my kids watch but just hit the pause every few mins to say wellllll actuallyyyy. Non agenda movie makers creating films based on facts will find it impossible to please every historian or anthropologist or expert since its made to capture the masses within a time-slot with the motive of entertaining and having ' some' credibility to avoid criticism. Which is why I hope more shia movie makers are on the rise as their movies will iA primarily be to convey truth and then to entertain as secondary and i hope we have more especially from the west , so far I love the Iranian produced movies I have seen, but I want something in English.

I THINK THIS FITS IN THIS TOPIC !

In his sermon entitled "Qase'a" Ali mentions the attention paid to him by the prophet and says: "Do you know, that due to my relationship and on account of my worth and merit, what were my relations with the prophet.

[*] The correct position is this that Abu Talib and the members of his family or the ways and manners of the time or the environments had no influences on the prophethood of Muhammad or the Imamate of Ali. These things were related with divine inspiration and neither Abu Talib nor the members of this family shared the secrets of prophethood and Imamate.

(42)

From the very beginning of my life he loved me and I loved him. He took me in his lap when I was a baby and thence I was always with him, he often kept me embraced to his heart, he used to make me sleep next to him; we used to be so close to each other that I felt the warmth of his body and smelled the fragrance of his breath.When I was a baby, he fed me with his hands often chewing hard bits for me. He never found me lying nor weak and wavering. From the time of his babyhood God had appointed the Holy Ghost to be always with him and this archangel was leading him towards exemplary qualities and high moral values and I followed the prophet step by step as a baby camel follows its mother. Daily he used to place before me a fresh standard of efficiency and used to order me to follow it. Every year he used to stay in a grotto of the Hira Mountains for sometime, and nobody used to be with him but I. None could then see or hear him or be near him but I. During those days Islam was the religion of only the prophet and his wife Khadijah, I was the third of the trio (the prophet, Khadijah and Ali himself). Nobody else in this world had accepted Islam I even then used to see the divine light of revelation and prophethood and smell the heavenly fragrance of prophethood. When the prophet received the first revelation Satan lamented loudly. I asked the prophet "Who is lamenting and why". He replied, "It is Satan who had given up hopes of acquiring complete sway over human mind. In this disappointment he is lamenting over the chance lost. Verily, Ali, you also hear whatever is revealed to me and you also see whatever is being shown to me. With this difference that you are not entrusted with prophethood, but you will be my successor, helper and vi zier, and you will always uphold truth and justice".