Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ethics

How And What Do You Feel When Beating Your Chest?

Rate this topic

First off I would like to say im starting this thread to show others who dont do it why the people who do matam choose to do it, and what they gain from it. I will post my feelings:

When I do matam or even say Ya Ali (or any prophets/imams) for that matter, or the month of muharram especially, all the prophets and imams come to mind, my soul vibrates with the essence of their names, Imam Ali's (all imams) sacrifice for Allah, his power and will because of his love and obedience to Allah, his strength in the wars he fought with the prophet for the same of Allah and spreading his religion, his sacrifices he did and saw for the same of Allah, He knew his two sons will become martyred to keep this religion alive, he saw his wife and newborn get killed, his house arrest because of his views for Allah, his rights that got taken, he giving charity while in prayer and verse revealed, Hadith Ghadir, Hadith Kisa, Quran 33:33...all these lighten my soul and body with energy and will power and love for this deen, for striving at all times any time, this feeling cannot be measured! Its like my soul flares towards this sacred path that can never be reached but only sought to. My heart palpitates with sadness and strength, it makes me feel sorry for those who are sick, are being oppressed, those that are hungry, the orphans, if it wasnt for matam for my, and as some people who are against it call it, a "ritual", I honestly would have not been like this to an extent even more. Some might say they are already feel sorry for those types of people, but let me tell you its at another level, I feel happy whether something good or bad happens because I understand it. I sort of feel at a micro level from the true level of what the 14 infallibles felt everyday: Truly living for Allah....It makes me want to do what Hussain A.S did, or all the prophets and imams. I will leave it at this,

Wa Salaam

Edited by pureethics

Its totally illogical man. Most people do that because its a trend to do so or their friends or relative told to do so instead why don't you people read quran or do salat that day, most of the people will agree to that Right??

Its totally illogical man. Most people do that because its a trend to do so or their friends or relative told to do so instead why don't you people read quran or do salat that day, most of the people will agree to that Right??

please no arguments on this thread brother. Your generalizing all the shias. Just as you, my brothers, say when we tell you about your caliphs which is in your books, you cannot judge, only Allah judges. We commemorate hussain a.s, whom the prophet said, "Hussain is From ME, and IM from Hussain", "Hussain's Flesh is MY Flesh, and who ever hurts him hurts ME". Please respect our beliefs, as we do yours. As Muslims, we already do salat everyday, and I hope we read the quran everyday as well. But to me, this is an extra spiritual and emotional boost, the fight against the ultimate form of oppression, the fight for the future of Al-Islam. Ghandi and Martin Luther King was inspired by Hussain, read their bios. Millions more as well. WhoIsHussain.org

wa salaam

Edited by pureethics

Yes we do have salat that day, we have many reccomended prayers. We also read Quran surely, as every majlis has to be proceeded with the perfect words of Allah (SWT). Did Imam Hussain (as) die for any other reason than to keep prayers and Quran alive? that is exactly why he was killed. he said no to deviance in religion, no to opression, and that is why the forces of evil, who had nothing to do with true Quran and salat, fought him and his family so heartlessly

BTW ethics i enjoyed your explanation of why you lightly tap your chest, you do it for all the right reasons : )

Edited by mohammad_mahdi

Imam Al Hussain AS felt unimaginable pain on the day of Ashura; I feel sad for losing my Imam and my master, the one who was beloved to the Greatest Prophet (SAWS) so to show my grief I perform matam for a literal mourning; in our hearts there is a grief that cannot subside only until we beat our chests, so I beat my chest with strength depending on how much I am feeling at that particular moment.

Yes we do have salat that day, we have many reccomended prayers. We also read Quran surely, as every majlis has to be proceeded with the perfect words of Allah (SWT). Did Imam Hussain (as) die for any other reason than to keep prayers and Quran alive? that is exactly why he was killed. he said no to deviance in religion, no to opression, and that is why the forces of evil, who had nothing to do with true Quran and salat, fought him and his family so heartlessly

BTW ethics i enjoyed your explanation of why you lightly tap your chest, you do it for all the right reasons : )

I beat my chest hard even though that is not even comparable to the pain the family of the prophet suffered on that day : ( .......

pain if you are novice ,

it's all in the technique ,

I've had some great teachers when I was young lad

there was no political correctness wimpy excuse people around then

it was full on .

I never went for the chains or bleeding .

some of my family did

the feeling is of brotherhood and manliness when everyone's together in a circle in rhythm .

It felt great being in the spirit of manhood .

I would imagine the pain and hardship our beloved :Imam (as) and his family had to endure , and my pain was insignificant compared to his .

I miss those days .

At some point i disagree to you my brother he was killed because yazid wanted to be the caliph as he had money and power. if u apply some logic to that incident it was mostly a caliphate politics. yes i agree that he died to keep prayers and quran alive but his sacrifice made an important role to show the importance of islam for the present and coming ummah , as almighty plans

so i agree that u people give that incident more importance than us i am with you. most people in our community has marriages too in that month so i cannot digest those things because in our community people are unaware about the importance of the incident

i too like the way u people gather and create picture of that karbala i to like to particape but when tatbir starts i dont find that thing as islamic and then i start to keep distance

hope i am not hurting anyone just my point of view....

Edited by sallu13

At some point i disagree to you my brother he was killed because yazid wanted to be the caliph as he had money and power. if u apply some logic to that incident it was mostly a caliphate politics. yes i agree that he died to keep prayers and quran alive but his sacrifice made an important role to show the importance of islam for the present and coming ummah , as almighty plans

so i agree that u people give that incident more importance than us i am with you. most people in our community has marriages too in that month so i cannot digest those things because in our community people are unaware about the importance of the incident

i too like the way u people gather and create picture of that karbala i to like to particape but when tatbir starts i dont find that thing as islamic and then i start to keep distance

hope i am not hurting anyone just my point of view....

Brother sallu, first of all, i apreciate your open mindedness, it is a good trait and i hope we always keep that alive in our discussions.

When you say 'you people', do you mean that in the sense that we are the school of thought of Ahlul Bait (as) and you follow another school of thought, or do you mean we as in people who do tatbir? there is a difference.

For me personally, and no one has to agree with me, but my take on matam is to lightly tap my chest for a few minutes, when i am being remembered the chest of that 5 year old Hussain (as), which was kissed by the lips of the Prophet (sawa), the same chest which 50 years later was left headless on the plains of kerbala and trampled by the horses of the enemy....

For people who do tatbir: i feel, if someone has memorised the entire Quran, understands it's whole interpretation, has implemented Quran in his/her life perfectly, has not commited and sin AND then goes ahead to cut themselves, well then i say someone with such a huge amount of knowledge and Iman, a sinner like me won't begin to understand their love for the Imam, and they should go ahead. For anyone who has less than memorised and understood the complete Quran, it makes no sense that they would love the Imam so much to cut themselves, and the cut is usually directed by other motives.

BTW the vast majority of shia don't practice tatbir, i have yet to see it in action myself, and hope i never do.

as for yazid killing the Imam for caliphate politics, it is more than just that, and that is reflected by yazeed's poetry, when he said 'la laita shuyookhi bi badrin wa uhudin, ra'aw... etc'. he was stating he wished his grandfathers who were killed in badr and uhud to see his revenge on bani Hashim. To bani abu sufyan, wiping out Ahlul Bait (as) was a score they wanted to settle out of venomous hate for the Prophet (sawa). Is there any other version of evil more personified? I think not

Brother sallu, first of all, i apreciate your open mindedness, it is a good trait and i hope we always keep that alive in our discussions.

When you say 'you people', do you mean that in the sense that we are the school of thought of Ahlul Bait (as) and you follow another school of thought, or do you mean we as in people who do tatbir? there is a difference.

For me personally, and no one has to agree with me, but my take on matam is to lightly tap my chest for a few minutes, when i am being remembered the chest of that 5 year old Hussain (as), which was kissed by the lips of the Prophet (sawa), the same chest which 50 years later was left headless on the plains of kerbala and trampled by the horses of the enemy....

For people who do tatbir: i feel, if someone has memorised the entire Quran, understands it's whole interpretation, has implemented Quran in his/her life perfectly, has not commited and sin AND then goes ahead to cut themselves, well then i say someone with such a huge amount of knowledge and Iman, a sinner like me won't begin to understand their love for the Imam, and they should go ahead. For anyone who has less than memorised and understood the complete Quran, it makes no sense that they would love the Imam so much to cut themselves, and the cut is usually directed by other motives.

BTW the vast majority of shia don't practice tatbir, i have yet to see it in action myself, and hope i never do.

as for yazid killing the Imam for caliphate politics, it is more than just that, and that is reflected by yazeed's poetry, when he said 'la laita shuyookhi bi badrin wa uhudin, ra'aw... etc'. he was stating he wished his grandfathers who were killed in badr and uhud to see his revenge on bani Hashim. To bani abu sufyan, wiping out Ahlul Bait (as) was a score they wanted to settle out of venomous hate for the Prophet (sawa). Is there any other version of evil more personified? I think not

My brother thanks for your kind reply and related to the subject "you people" i meant people who do tatbir and not Ahlul bayt ,

I respect ahlul bait a lot seriously.

what i think my brother that things like jihad,mutah,tatbir highlight islam in a negative way as most non-muslim think that jihad means killing of non-muslim but its not you all know (once a man came 2 the messenger and asked i want myself to include in a current islamic war i want to be a jiahdi the messenger asked are there any responsibilities on you currently, he said my mom is sick so the messenger replied take care of your mother that is your jihad so from these cases we clearly understands what does jihad mean but some extremists use the name of jihad and kill innocent people. And surely those people will dwell in hell because none has the right to kill anyone. only almighty vll decide his or hers death

And my brother when i was new to this site i didnt knew about mutah here on this platform only i came 2 know about mutahh. when i wikipedia that subject i got "MARRIAGE OF PLEASURE" so my mind and soul didnt liked it at all because i cannot accept anything negative related to our religion

And one thing my bro "CURSING" anyone either he is good or bad is not a belief of a muslim i know you understood what i mean to say.....

Edited by sallu13

My brother thanks for your kind reply and related to the subject "you people" i meant people who do tatbir and not Ahlul bayt ,

what i think my brother that things like jihad,mutah,tatbir highlight islam in a negative way as most non-muslim think that jihad means killing of non-muslim but its not you all know (once a man came 2 the messenger and asked i want myself to include in a current islamic war i want to be a jiahdi the messenger asked are there any responsibilities on you currently, he said my mom is sick so the messenger replied take care of your mother that is your jihad so from these cases we clearly understands what does jihad mean but some extremists use the name of jihad and kill innocent people. And surely those people will dwell in hell because none has the right to kill anyone. only almighty vll decide his or hers death

And my brother when i was new to this site i didnt knew about mutah here on this platform only i came 2 know about mutahh. when i wikipedia that subject i got "MARRIAGE OF PLEASURE" so my mind and soul didnt liked it at all because i cannot accept anything negative related to our religion

And one thing my bro "CURSING" anyone either he is good or bad is not a belief of a muslim i know you understood what i mean to say.....

tatbir isnt part of our religion unless you can find one source from our marja which im 100% you cant, and the prophet allows mutah, he never disallowed it..it was umar who did, which he wasnt allowed because Allah never gave him permission. Besides, no one has to do muta anyway. But, I will tell you wiki isnt a good sources. Check this out and youll understand:

http://www.al-islam.org/al-serat/muta/

wa salaam

"MARRIAGE OF PLEASURE"

what a terrible thing to have .

it is blasphemous

no marriage should be pleasurable

what is the world coming to ??

i am divorcing all my wives for such despicable acts of pleasure , how dare they !!

they are so negative .

thank you brother for awaking me from such abyss of hell i was entering into .

now i will go and have "MARRIAGE OF MISERY " like everyone else.

Edited by :Sami

(salam)

Hot hot

Posted Yesterday, 02:52 PM

Guys this Sallu is a troll ^^ he was suspended 2 weeks ago by basim ali because he made a filthy comment about our imam a.s.

An illogical lost guy.

But his intentions looks to be sincere in this topic, can you tell what exactly he passed the comment about our Imam(as)

(wasalam)

Guys this Sallu is a troll ^^ he was suspended 2 weeks ago by basim ali because he made a filthy comment about our imam a.s.

An illogical lost guy.

Cold Cold

I accept i was suspended, i maybe be wrong and i can mail u the content of that thread which was edited by basim ali. he misunderstood my content and he thought i may me refering to imam mahdi nauzubillah and what to say about a guy like you, no words in my dictionary. if u live in mumbai surely it vll be an honour to meet the 8th wonder of the world....

And pureethics u are one of those guys on this site that i appreciate a lot because u are a broad minded personality and the guy who respect other people opinions and views but ill also tell you one thing during the time of prophet Adam it was allowed that real brother and sister could marry each other as there were no other source so as soon the population increased it was disallowed so my point is that everything which was happening in past which had some negative aspects came to an end so why not mutah i know that umar prohibited mutah, so u said that Allah didnt told umar to do so accepted, but my bro only our messenger was the last human who received revelations from almighty no one after that not even imams so how cum umar ill tell u frankly if hazrat ali had prohibited it or anyone else you people would accepted it in any case even though they too dont receive revelations. you people consider umar in negative aspects so you will not follow anything of him even if he is right. And in one case one of your grand ayatullah issue a fatwa on woman that womwn should not be included during the journey of karbala that is some distance walk for matam. so some people will agree but most woman will disagree. even though i also think he is right. so apply logic to these cases and to of umar case. without considering his neagtive aspects.... just for a time period

And people like hothot cannot differentiate between good or bad so i dont want this idiot to reply.

And sami will try to reply you in a casual way. Teenagers in this 21st century find it hard to control their emotions and feelings so by the option of social media or any other medium they will try to fulfill their desires. so for muslim personalitys if they have option of mutah they will consider it for pleasure not for misery. If you tell me that mutah is just a temporary marriage to see that the couple has bonding with each other or not so that they can have better future later these case are like 5% to 8% . Are u people unaware that "the best planner" the almighty before the birth of a person has already decided his or hers future partner.

And i too cannot control my feelings mostly, i have just started my carrier and may be around 2 years i cannot go for a marriage. so consider me as your own brother and then tell me should i go for MUTAHH???

Edited by sallu13

And pureethics u are one of those guys on this site that i appreciate a lot because u are a broad minded personality and the guy who respect other people opinions and views but ill also tell you one thing during the time of prophet Adam it was allowed that real brother and sister could marry each other as there were no other source so as soon the population increased it was disallowed so my point is that everything which was happening in past which had some negative aspects came to an end so why not mutah i know that umar prohibited mutah, so u said that Allah didnt told umar to do so accepted, but my bro only our messenger was the last human who received revelations from almighty no one after that not even imams so how cum umar ill tell u frankly if hazrat ali had prohibited it or anyone else you people would accepted it in any case even though they too dont receive revelations. you people consider umar in negative aspects so you will not follow anything of him even if he is right. And in one case one of your grand ayatullah issue a fatwa on woman that womwn should not be included during the journey of karbala that is some distance walk for matam. so some people will agree but most woman will disagree. even though i also think he is right. so apply logic to these cases and to of umar case. without considering his neagtive aspects.... just for a time period

And people like hothot cannot differentiate between good or bad so i dont want this idiot to reply.

And sami will try to reply you in a casual way. Teenagers in this 21st century find it hard to control their emotions and feelings so by the option of social media or any other medium they will try to fulfill their desires. so for muslim personalitys if they have option of mutah they will consider it for pleasure not for misery. If you tell me that mutah is just a temporary marriage to see that the couple has bonding with each other or not so that they can have better future later these case are like 5% to 8% . Are u people unaware that "the best planner" the almighty before the birth of a person has already decided his or hers future partner.

And i too cannot control my feelings mostly, i have just started my carrier and may be around 2 years i cannot go for a marriage. so consider me as your own brother and then tell me should i go for MUTAHH???

(salam)

First, do not compare Umar with Hazrat Ali(as). There is no comparison as they are poles apart.

For the sake of argument if Hazrat Ali(as) didnt receive divine revelations, but still he was the nafs of Holy Prophet (SAW) [ref to the mubahila event which is accepted by even sunnis]. So whatever he does or says is same like what the Holy Prophet(saw) says, he never changed any halal into haram, haram into halal. While Umar committed lot of mistakes and was even corrected by Hazrat Ali(as) many times. Umar made a lot of haram into halal and vice versa which were earlier brought by the Holy Prophet (saw), few of them like mutah, taraweeh etc.

Second, do a research and study on sensitive issues like mutah before giving blanket staements. It has many good than bad effects if done in the right way and with sincere intentions

(wasalam)

Edited by Imtiaz_Hyder

Cold Cold

I accept i was suspended, i maybe be wrong and i can mail u the content of that thread which was edited by basim ali. he misunderstood my content and he thought i may me refering to imam mahdi nauzubillah and what to say about a guy like you, no words in my dictionary. if u live in mumbai surely it vll be an honour to meet the 8th wonder of the world....

Bol Na beta kab milega? Very first thing is it was a reverts thread, I already warned you before so which imam a.s you were talking about? Beta your argument is silly really, one last time sincerely I am asking you why are you here? To debate? To unite? To learn? Or to teach?

You will get some Sunnis here, who talks about unity but infact if you will look at the Shia sunni relation around the world the you will see it's impossible.

(salam)

First, do not compare Umar with Hazrat Ali(as). There is no comparison as they are poles apart.

For the sake of argument if Hazrat Ali(as) didnt receive divine revelations, but still he was the nafs of Holy Prophet (SAW) [ref to the mubahila event which is accepted by even sunnis]. So whatever he does or says is same like what the Holy Prophet(saw) says, he never changed any halal into haram, haram into halal. While Umar committed lot of mistakes and was even corrected by Hazrat Ali(as) many times. Umar made a lot of haram into halal and vice versa which were earlier brought by the Holy Prophet (saw), few of them like mutah, taraweeh etc.

Second, do a research and study on sensitive issues like mutah before giving blanket staements. It has many good than bad effects if done in the right way and with sincere intentions

(wasalam)

My brother i am not comparing anyone its just my point of view with some logic if u empty ur mind and think. otherwise you will give me the same answer as this.....

ANd regarding mutah what i wrote is fact i am not giving blank statement. if one of your marja does a fatwa on this then you will prohibit it or go on with that? In 1994 a grand ayatullah of iran issued a fatwa on tatbir so did people prohibited it or not?? u know the answer.....

And coldcold

from the language you use, it shows your personality and character and regarding the imam topic i had a debate with pureethics which was going smoothly till the time some silly personality like u entered and directed that thread towards negative way. And you will surely find my arguments silly because in your small extremists brain there is no place for positiveness only negativity can be added....

ANd i am here to interact with people who are open minded so that we can share our point of views and come to a common conclusion.

My brother i am not comparing anyone its just my point of view with some logic if u empty ur mind and think. otherwise you will give me the same answer as this.....

ANd regarding mutah what i wrote is fact i am not giving blank statement. if one of your marja does a fatwa on this then you will prohibit it or go on with that? In 1994 a grand ayatullah of iran issued a fatwa on tatbir so did people prohibited it or not?? u know the answer.....

(salam)

I told comparison because you were relating how people will follow something said by Hazrat Ali (as) to something said by Umar

About mutah or any other issue, remember that not all will blindly follow anything told by a random marja. There will be a group of people following 'x' marja and they might follow what he says but that does not mean its binding on all shias. That was the reason I told you to do research on it and see the broad picture instead of generalizing.

(wasalam)

okay i just wanna add, the fatwas that marja make are either not in islamic jurisprudence, or arnt a halal and haram issue.

Tatbir- Its not even in Shia Islam at ALL. So therefor whether to allow or disallow it in marja fatwas make no difference. Whether you do tatbir or not your choice and it depends on your marja.

Mutah- A divine law from Allah to prophet Muhammad, He never disallowed it therefore it stays. Its a divine law that no one has the right to allow and disallow except the prophet. You say, if the imams said not to do it we wouldnt. Yes true we wouldnt, If the imams said not to we wouldnt why? Because the prophet choose them, therefore Allah chose them. What ever they allow and disallow is what the prophet allows and disallows and what ever the prophet does is Allah's order.

Wa salaam

Edited by pureethics

Sallu thanks for your straight answer but can you tell me why kinda conclusion do you want?

Sorry for my little rude reply man. I am little possessive about our religion thats why i cant accept any negativity related to it. When people in syria or palestine etc are killed i make dua for every muslim not for my sects of people every muslim because

1)i believe whoever believes in Allah and his messenger is a muslim as he has obeyed the first qalima.

so no sects of people in islam can be compared to kafir as they obey the first qalima that's what my thinking

And i didnt had a problem with you in past, in the last thread which we had a debate u taunted me that my salat will never be completed or accepted as i dont include imam ali in my prayers that words from you changed my attitude towards you.....

2)The conclusion is "One who raises a sword against another muslim is not a muslim" The word "sword" can refer to not just killing but cursing, negative attitude towards them etc. My brother if someday we meet we dont interact but we just see each other and greet each other with a smile that's also considered in " sawab" (good deeds) so if we have hatred in our mind towards each other where we will land on judgement day because almighty knows whats in you mind negativity or positiveness towards each other...

on judgement day You will surely be judge on your deeds but the almighty will ask u surely what you did for the sake of humanity and for muslims?? What will be your reply ???

cursing and finding drawbacks in people and taunting them is one of the biggest sin because it is not a part of a muslim belief....

compare my highlighted statement 1 and 2 and u will get the answer..........

Sorry for my little rude reply man. I am little possessive about our religion thats why i cant accept any negativity related to it. When people in syria or palestine etc are killed i make dua for every muslim not for my sects of people every muslim because

1)i believe whoever believes in Allah and his messenger is a muslim as he has obeyed the first qalima.

so no sects of people in islam can be compared to kafir as they obey the first qalima that's what my thinking

And i didnt had a problem with you in past, in the last thread which we had a debate u taunted me that my salat will never be completed or accepted as i dont include imam ali in my prayers that words from you changed my attitude towards you.....

2)The conclusion is "One who raises a sword against another muslim is not a muslim" The word "sword" can refer to not just killing but cursing, negative attitude towards them etc. My brother if someday we meet we dont interact but we just see each other and greet each other with a smile that's also considered in " sawab" (good deeds) so if we have hatred in our mind towards each other where we will land on judgement day because almighty knows whats in you mind negativity or positiveness towards each other...

on judgement day You will surely be judge on your deeds but the almighty will ask u surely what you did for the sake of humanity and for muslims?? What will be your reply ???

cursing and finding drawbacks in people and taunting them is one of the biggest sin because it is not a part of a muslim belief....

compare my highlighted statement 1 and 2 and u will get the answer..........

Even you said some silly things like washing ears during wazu and khilafat and karbala thats why i said you all that anywayz you are not that bad,I agree with rest of your post except you respect all the Muslims irrespective of their sector and you think killing or cursing to any other is not a Muslim beleif and those who do it is kafir so implicitly Shias are kafir as they curse sahabas? Am I right? And again I suggest Open a new thread in shia sunni dialogue so that we all can discuss the issues.

Even you said some silly things like washing ears during wazu and khilafat and karbala thats why i said you all that anywayz you are not that bad,I agree with rest of your post except you respect all the Muslims irrespective of their sector and you think killing or cursing to any other is not a Muslim beleif and those who do it is kafir so implicitly Shias are kafir as they curse sahabas? Am I right? And again I suggest Open a new thread in shia sunni dialogue so that we all can discuss the issues.

I accept that i said that but did i said your prayers will not be accepted or anything related to that. Dude its obvious that if u challenge my faith and belief i too will have an objection on your faith........Its human behaviour

ANd dont consider urself as kafir the word sword refers to killing i just added some more things so that i can take out the negativity from your heart.

Dude have some negativity in your mind but dont let it overshadow your heart because it can harm your life too...

And regarding debate ill tell u frankly that its useless to debate with a person who don't give importance to other people views and opinion and then start to act as an extremists instead thinking of other person views in state of a cool mind........

I accept that i said that but did i said your prayers will not be accepted or anything related to that. Dude its obvious that if u challenge my faith and belief i too will have an objection on your faith........Its human behaviour

ANd dont consider urself as kafir the word sword refers to killing i just added some more things so that i can take out the negativity from your heart.

Dude have some negativity in your mind but dont let it overshadow your heart because it can harm your life too...

And regarding debate ill tell u frankly that its useless to debate with a person who don't give importance to other people views and opinion and then start to act as an extremists instead thinking of other person views in state of a cool mind........

It's ok let's not hijack this thread, will talk sometime later inshallah.

(bismillah)

(salam)

I wonder why this post,because the inside love of Imam Husaain (AS) is truely known to that person , Imam (AS) and Allah. No words can truly explain the feeling of the person and it doesn't mean that a person who is just sitting in the majlis and shedding tear is far less than person who is doing matam or even blood letting. No one can compare them because no one knows the inner emotional feeling. love and affection.However, since many of the people here are asking the same question whether it is allowed or what are the views of Marjas here is one:-

from Facebook page ref of The-Grand-Ayatollah-Al-Uzma-Al-Sheikh-Bashir-Hussain-Al-Najafi

Q&A 

His Eminence Grand Ayatollah Al-Uzema Sheikh Bashir Hussain Al-Najafi (may Allah prolong his life) What are your opinions on Tatbeer, walking on hot coals, and hitting oneself with chains on the days of Ashura as well as on the 40th anniversary of Imam Hussain (as) as a form of expressing sadness and grief over the tragedies of Ahlul-Bayt (as)?

In the name of God, the Most Merciful, the Most Gracious We have explained on more than one occasion that Tatbeer is allowed, and that a person performing it actually gets Thawab, yet only if it is done with observing these three conditions: 1-It should be performed with the intention of exposing the injustice, crimes, and oppression done to Imam Hussain (as) and his family, and to obtain nearness to Allah(swt). 2. He/she should be informed by a doctor that the above would not lead to their death or to the disabling of one of their body parts. 3. Its place and timing should not stimulate non-believers to use Imam Hussain (as) as an excuse to rebel and back away from the religion of Islam.

Please not again discussion on Tatbir. The topic is about chest-beating which fine with every Shia.

Strange, what a big lie. Because most Shia Muslim centres/communities don't do Tatbir anyways. In Iran, Europe and USA you won't find a single community which does Tatbir publicly or privately. And many other cultural centres in the Middle East just recite poems and do chest-beating.

I don't usually take part because for me, it seems like crowd-fever reigns (along with male bravado sometimes, sadly) and I was under the impression that any circumstance that alters the frame of mind of the individual is not looked upon well by Islam. This is one of the reasons dramatic music and alcohol are haram.

I can understand how some people feel more grief by doing it, though, and therefore I have nothing against it. That ^ is my personal opinion and what it makes me feel.

If beating of the chest is accompanied with genuine tears of grief then that is where the chest beating has the most meaning.

Otherwise it does seem ritualistic, or as though some kind of festival is going on. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as it portrays the right image, i.e. so that it doesn't scare non-Shia away. This point is reason enough to avoid doing tatbir IMO.