Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Shouldn't It Be Halal To Celebrate Christmas?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Let's assume that Christmas didn't fall in the period it did this year, during a period of grief over the martyrdom of Imam Al Husayn (as), even though we know December 25th isn't the actual birth date of the Masi7 (as), we can still celebrate it considering he's one of the most important prophets and the role that he will play with our Mahdi (as)?

I mean sure we don't have to go out binge drinking or bake a big fat pork on to put on our table, but I don't see the harm in putting up a decorative tree, having "christmas majalis" as a celebration?

• Basic Members

I see where your coming from, how ever, people are "celebrating" the birth of Jesus. Why would we celebrate the birth of Jesus (pbuh) when we don't even do so for ourselves or even rasul Allah (saws)? Also, to be honest the meaning of christmas is completely meaningless, I know Buddhists who eve celebrate it because the whole idea is just gifts. Also, one of the many things I admire in Islam is that we don't imitate other religions in such festivities.

I understand where you are coming from but you dont need a tree and trinkets to think about our prophets. You dua and thikr will do more than that tree ever could lol.

• Veteran Member

Christmas trees are of pagan origin, so personally I wouldn't have one of those, even though some people would argue that since it has lost it's pagan meaning there is no harm (although I'm not sure what it now symbolises is much better). However, the idea of a 'Christmas majlis' is a very interesting one, and I'm surprised nobody has thought of this. It would be a great opportunity for da`wah.

Edited by Haydar Husayn

• Advanced Member

when we sunni and shias cannot agree on the issue of the birth of the prophet mohammad(saww), then y to celebrate hazrat isa's(as) birhday on 25th.

it will let the later generations feel that muslims accept the date of his(as) birth and thus more will go with their forged dates.

• Veteran Member

yes ! its a good idea to have Christmas Majaliss & invite christians in the majliss. The lecture could be about jesus in the quran.

As for the tree , it is better to have a cedar tree, because Jesus was born under a cedar tree with dates :)

(right now, the non-muslims try to revive the sunnah with x-mas trees ,that's because in Europe, there isn't cedar trees..so they can't really imitate it with these types of trees..they use what they have and it became a tradition)

instead of a fat pork, we can eat dates and water ..and bread ..

Edited by -Enlightened

• Advanced Member

i dont see why The birth of our lord Jesus Christ should be haram ? The thought is actually blasphemous.

If we want unity amongest all monotheistic religions then we should embrace these events . that goes for all the prophets .

Just like Imam Hussein (pbuh) is for all man kind so is Jesus/hisus Christos (pbuh) is for all man kind.

I believe if we take this approach then we will destroy our enemies that want remove religion from this world.

PS: do not trouble yourself on the little matters like dates and miss representations . look at the big picture and that is to serve God and his message through our prophets and messengers. If we dwell on the little things we live to forget the true message .

Blessings to all.

N

Edited by nemesis

• Advanced Member

Qiyas.

Ok as I said forget the tree it's not necessary

when we sunni and shias cannot agree on the issue of the birth of the prophet mohammad(saww), then y to celebrate hazrat isa's(as) birhday on 25th.

it will let the later generations feel that muslims accept the date of his(as) birth and thus more will go with their forged dates.

The date may be used merely for his remembrance.

yes ! its a good idea to have Christmas Majaliss & invite christians in the majliss. The lecture could be about jesus in the quran.

As for the tree , it is better to have a cedar tree, because Jesus was born under a cedar tree with dates :)

(right now, the non-muslims try to revive the sunnah with x-mas trees ,that's because in Europe, there isn't cedar trees..so they can't really imitate it with these types of trees..they use what they have and it became a tradition)

instead of a fat pork, we can eat dates and water ..and bread ..

i dont see why The birth of our lord Jesus Christ should be haram ? The thought is actually blasphemous.

If we want unity amongest all monotheistic religions then we should embrace these events . that goes for all the prophets .

Just like Imam Hussein (pbuh) is for all man kind so is Jesus/hisus Christos (pbuh) is for all man kind.

I believe if we take this approach then we will destroy our enemies that want remove religion from this world.

PS: do not trouble yourself on the little matters like dates and miss representations . look at the big picture and that is to serve God and his message through our prophets and messengers. If we dwell on the little things we live to forget the true message .

Blessings to all.

N

You two are getting my point; it will be a very great time to do da'wah and invite non-muslims to our faith, hold events in our of Jesus and not even the haters can use their bible against us, because we've shown we accept the same Prophet. The way it's celebrated is merely culture but I think holding celebration events similar to Mawlid al Nabi (S) or the birth of the Imams (as). Jesus isn't some strange person to us so this idea is in no way far fetched

Edited by HassoonBazoon

• Veteran Member

(salam)

According to Islam, our Prophet Issa (as) was born on 25 zul qi'da (zilqad) (http://www.duas.org/zilqad_25.htm), on the same day as Prophet Ibrahim (as), and the third event on this day is: the spreading of the earth, which was something like 2 months ago.

So 25 december, represent nothing for us, and it's also an arbitrary choice of Jesus' birthday among the christians (cf wikipedia). It's just conventional, and there is No historical evidence of the exact day or month.

However, it's a great idea and opportunity for us to make tabligh (as Khomeiny did). Perhaps we could give them a rose (doing a flower distribution event like we did in order to defend our Prophet saw) and write a quranic verse on Nabi Issa (as) and show them our belief.

Doing majliss and invite them it's also a great idea.

But i'm not sure they will attend our majliss.

On the 25th of december, our sheikh talked about how a community like the christians, reduced a religious tradition to a christmas tree, christmas pudding and christmas turkey. The reason is they are praying, making duas, without actions. And if we don't match our duas for the hasten appearance of imam Mahdi (aj) with actions, this is what is going to happen to us also. :no:

• Veteran Member

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

I have no problem saying Merry Christmas to our Christian bretheran. But what I do have a problem with, are those 'shias' when they know it is the 40th of Imam Hussain and they want to celebrate an occasion when they should be mourning instead. I highly doubt they would put up the tree during Christmas had their mother or father died during that period of time. There loss for not having the same respect for Imam Hussain 3la Salam.

A proverb I learned from Servidor, which I find appropriate to share here. Emphasis is mine.

All things have their season

and in their times all things pass under heaven.

A time to be born and a time to die.

A time to plant and a time to pluck up that which is planted.

A time to kill and a time to heal.

A time to destroy and a time to build.

A time to weep and a time to laugh.

A time to mourn and a time to dance.

A time to scatter stones and a time to gather.

A time to embrace and a time to be far from embraces.

A time to get and a time to lose.

A time to keep and a time to cast away.

A time to rend and a time to sew.

A time to keep silence and a time to speak.

A time of love and a time of hatred.

A time of war and a time of peace.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

• Advanced Member

Ok as I said forget the tree it's not necessary

The date may be used merely for his remembrance.

i have no problem with date but for that case we can also go for 12th of rabiul awwal as the birthday of prophet(saww) for the sake of unity.

i'd be very glad if there are few who are in favour of this.

• Veteran Member

Hindus don't need majlis in Diwali, they do attend in moharram

Who cares? Islam isn't about worshiping Imam Husayn (as), it's about worshiping Allah (swt). Attending Majlis, or venerating Imam Husayn (as) won't do them any good if they remain mushriks and refuse to recognise who their Lord is, and who His Messenger (pbuh) is.

• Advanced Member

Who cares? Islam isn't about worshiping Imam Husayn (as), it's about worshiping Allah (swt). Attending Majlis, or venerating Imam Husayn (as) won't do them any good if they remain mushriks and refuse to recognise who their Lord is, and who His Messenger (pbuh) is.

(salam)

But you can also see it as a kind of dawa where Imam Hussain(as) is the first step and then they might gradually come to the actual fold. Why close the door by just saying they remain mushriks. Who knows he will recite kalima just before dying and his deeds are more dearer to Allah than any other momin.

(wasalam)

What if the Hindus who adore Husain a.s will start worship the gods of Husain a.s? For who the Husain a.s has given sacrifice.

And I can say some Hindus are much kore better then some socalled Shias.

• Advanced Member

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

I have no problem saying Merry Christmas to our Christian bretheran. But what I do have a problem with, are those 'shias' when they know it is the 40th of Imam Hussain and they want to celebrate an occasion when they should be mourning instead. I highly doubt they would put up the tree during Christmas had their mother or father died during that period of time. There loss for not having the same respect for Imam Hussain 3la Salam.

If you re-read my original post I said under the presumption it didn't fall in this time; so we're talking in the coming years?

(salam)

But you can also see it as a kind of dawa where Imam Hussain(as) is the first step and then they might gradually come to the actual fold. Why close the door by just saying they remain mushriks. Who knows he will recite kalima just before dying and his deeds are more dearer to Allah than any other momin.

(wasalam)

These hindus have been doing "majalis" for Imam Hussayn for I dont know how many years, probably decades and have they converted yet? No they remain mushriks and performing crazy rituals and yet you still see shia's proud and bragging about how they remember Imam Husayn

• Advanced Member

These hindus have been doing "majalis" for Imam Hussayn for I dont know how many years, probably decades and have they converted yet? No they remain mushriks and performing crazy rituals and yet you still see shia's proud and bragging about how they remember Imam Husayn

(salam)

They remain mushriks and perform crazy rituals, what about you? Are you so confident that whatever you are doing in day to day life fully conform to the Islamic rules

Why do you think they havent converted, did you personally go and see each and everyone. Because if alteast a handful of them or even one soul gets converted then its more than enough. Atleast they are not blowing up a place or killing innocent people during moharram as it happens elsewhere.

(wasalam)

Sayed Ali Khamenei:

1. CHRISTMASS: this is the day used to observe the birthday of hazrat Issa al-Massih (Jesus Christ). Within the general culture, it has a more commercial and secular message of sharing and helping the poor than its religious connotation of trinity and partners with Allah. It is also to note the day it is observed on and some of its rituals are based directly on the pagan Roman festival of the Sun God. Is it permissible for a Muslim to: a. Wish the Christians well and give them a greeting card? b. Observe the NON-religious activities such as placing a small tree in ones house with lights and decorations? c. Attend Church with a Christian as an act of da'wah or out of curiosity?

Answer: Bismihi Ta`ala 1) a. There is no objection in sending them greeting cards upon the advent of this occasion. Yet, it should be done in such a fashion that you encourage them to adhere to the true teachings of the Prophet Jesus (a.s.) by helping and supporting those in need, living a righteous life, etc. b. There is no objection in celebrating the birthday of the Prophet Jesus (a.s.). But putting up and decorating a Christmas tree would promote a fallacious ideology and result in imitating their culture. c. There is no objection to that in itself as long as it does not lead to corruption.

Edited by RoAcHy

• Advanced Member

(salam)

They remain mushriks and perform crazy rituals, what about you? Are you so confident that whatever you are doing in day to day life fully conform to the Islamic rules

Why do you think they havent converted, did you personally go and see each and everyone. Because if alteast a handful of them or even one soul gets converted then its more than enough. Atleast they are not blowing up a place or killing innocent people during moharram as it happens elsewhere.

(wasalam)

Bro I dont even know what your trying to say here. I'm a lot more certain what I do is in line with Islam than what those mushriks do. And what's stopping them from converting, if they can get together in such large gatherings to commemorate Imam Husayn (albeit in a paganist way) then why can't they all realize the true message of Islam which Imam Husayn sought to uphold? Anyways this strays from the main topic at hand.

Edited by HassoonBazoon

• Advanced Member

Bro I dont even know what your trying to say here. I'm a lot more certain what I do is in line with Islam than what those mushriks do. And what's stopping them from converting, if they can get together in such large gatherings to commemorate Imam Husayn (albeit in a paganist way) then why can't they all realize the true message of Islam which Imam Husayn sought to uphold? Anyways this strays from the main topic at hand.

(salam)

What I am trying to say is that if there can be a dawah for christians (read christian majlis suggested by Haydar Husayn as a dawah)

Christmas trees are of pagan origin, so personally I wouldn't have one of those, even though some people would argue that since it has lost it's pagan meaning there is no harm (although I'm not sure what it now symbolises is much better). However, the idea of a 'Christmas majlis' is a very interesting one, and I'm surprised nobody has thought of this. It would be a great opportunity for da`wah.

then why cant the same applies to people outside ahle-kitab. Why this double standard when dealing with different followers.

When the hindus are attending the majalis or writing nauhas/marsiyas in honour of Imam Hussain(as), why not have hope that they might one day embrace. If not all atleast few of them.

Again read Haydar Husayn comments above when he says that christmas trees are of pagan origin but still supports to do a 'christmas majlis' even though havent heard they attending any of our majlis, but a hindu attending a majlis cannot be digested

And when you say they commemorate in paganist way, keep in mind that we also have a lot of such things which looks odd and against Islamic practices

(wasalam)

Edited by Imtiaz_Hyder

I celebrated Christmas. It was fun :)

Celebrating births of prophets are not haram just like how celebrating birth of Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) and our Imams (as) isn't. And if you do have a tree, its a tree for God's sake!!!!!

Shia Islam is the intellectual Islam I really challenge anyone who thinks celebrating birth of one of the most honorable prophets of Islam is haram.

• Advanced Member

celebrating christmas is haram in in islam because it is not an event created by us it was created by the christians, on 25th december all the christians believe that there is a creature called santa claus which all of us know by now there isn't, so now you wanted to celebrate christmas but who are you celebrating it to, santa dosent exist there is no one to celebrate it to except for the creator jesus, if you are celebrating christmas you are celebrating the birth of jesus which is also haram in islam, christians religion and islam and two different planets but we do have some similarities, christians are allowed to eat pork, drink wine, drink beer, do many reckless things, there are over 10,000 deaths caused by drinking, and drinking any alcoholic beverage is najis because alcohol is najis unless it is used for medical reasons. if christmas was an event of the islam it then should be written in the holy quran, and our imam should have celebrated it a long time ago but no, it is haram!

• Veteran Member

where did you gt this from ???.

From history and common sense .

Jesus was born in Jerusalem , what type of trees do they have in Jerusalem ? - Cedars .

Plus, if you watch the movie 'saint Mary' ( a muslim movie) , you will see that Mariam gave birth under a cedar tree. Muslim movies have scholarly references and each scenario is played according to the exact hadiths and quran verses .

• Advanced Member

celebrating nowruz is also haram because it is not an islamic holy day, According to the teachings of islam as our beloved prophet muhammad says

do not do acts as pagans do so we shouldnt celebrate such says like nawroz,christmas......... and that is sin

45:18]Then We put thee on the (right) Way of Religion: so follow thou that (Way), and follow not the desires of those who know not.

also:

58:22] Thou wilt not find any people who believe in Allah and the Last Day, loving those who resist Allah and His Messenger, even though they were their fathers or their sons, or their brothers, or their kindred. For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with a spirit from Himself. And He will admit them to Gardens beneath which Rivers flow, to dwell therein (for ever). Allah will be well pleased with them, and they with Him. They are the Party of Allah. Truly it is the Party of Allah that will achieve Felicity.