Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
lilibolt

Hijab At Home

Rate this topic

AOA,

Do women have to cover themselves at home in front of Na-Mehram men (cousins etc)? what if they are staying at your home for several days do you cover 24/7? I heard from a molana that it is nt obligatory for a woman to cover herself at home (beause it is her home) but it is obligatory for the Na-Mehram to lower his gaze , but i am not sure if this is right?

I need an answer quick - I have a few cousins staying at my home for several days and it is hard to keep the Hijab on 24/7 especially when your parents are against it - but if it is obligatory ofcourse i will keep it on no matter what anybody says. Thank you

WS

Salam,

Hijab in front of Non Mahram is required at all times and in all places (with two exceptions that I know of)

The fact that you are at home is irrelevant. It is also required for non mahrams to lower their gaze.

I would be interested to see which fatawa, hadith, ayat, etc that the maulana is using to come to that conclusion.

If he can cite his proofs, I would be interested to see them.

The two exceptions are (and most br and sis already know this, but in case there is some who don't)

1) An emergency situation like a house fire or a medical emergency where life is in danger and there is

no opportunity to cover

2) A man is proposing marriage and is serious about the proposal. He is allowed to see what a mahram could see.

Edited by Abu Hadi

Salam,

Hijab in front of Non Mahram is required at all times and in all places (with two exceptions that I know of)

The fact that you are at home is irrelevant. It is also required for non mahrams to lower their gaze.

I would be interested to see which fatawa, hadith, ayat, etc that the maulana is using to come to that conclusion.

The two exceptions are (and most br and sis already know this, but in case there is some who don't)

1) An emergency situation like a house fire or a medical emergency where life is in danger and there is

no opportunity to cover

2) A man is proposing marriage and is serious about the proposal. He is allowed to see what a mahram could see.

I don't remember if I read it on Sayyed Sistani's website or a Q&A book (think it's yellowish-golden cover, forgot the name), but somebody asked a question regarding observing purdah in front of the other men in a house which is very small and shared by joint family (like 2-3 brothers and their families staying together). The answer given was that in such cases, the women do not necessarily have to observe the hijab.

I'm not sure but even if we go by such a fatwa, it will not apply in the OP's case because having guests over is a completely different case than ones staying in the house permanently. I don't know.

Thank you all for your guidance

If your clothes are modest (long sleeves, long skirt), you will only need to wear a scarf.

This is what i have been doing but i have been asked several times to take off the scarf this is why i made a thread about it to make sure :)

This is what i have been doing but i have been asked several times to take off the scarf this is why i made a thread about it to make sure :)

Ignore it Sister---let people say what they want to say---listen similingly to what others say, do determindly what you want to do---Do not let them make an issue out of it---keep your humour about you and keep on doing your Hijab--

Well done for not being the typical girl that would take any reason to take it off ^_^.

Salam,

Highly doudt that maulanaaa meant that onces your at home you can wear what you wish inpresents of non muharams and muhrams. He probably meant you can wear what you want infront of muhrams, however the op 'might' of misunderstood it, and through onces your at home you can wear what you want infront of non muhrams.

Dont get to happy abu hadi no one can justife or proof it... Loool

It's obvious that non muhrams cant see you without hijab.

Loads of people don't observe hijab in front of their cousins. They think it's allowed in Islam. It's all cultural so don't listen to everything your maulanas/sheikhs say.

Yep. In my family we've all kinda been brought up as siblings, so wearing the hijab in front of them was weird at first, cause its like 'EW, I don't see them romantically and vice versa' but Allah (swt) knows best. If it helps, everyone gets used to it after a while.

Thank you all...the guests are gone now..i did receive alot of nagative comments..i was kindda forced to take it off as well but i am glad i didn't :)

Thank you again for your guidance.

Do not take it to heart--or feel isolated/discouraged--; part of life---; smile on, carry one--- :)

all the best--

Thank you all...the guests are gone now..i did receive alot of nagative comments..i was kindda forced to take it off as well but i am glad i didn't :)

Thank you again for your guidance.

Remember in the end they will be judged for what they were saying. Im glad you stood strong, remain that way. Guide them slowly to the right manner of acting. 8D

Well done for not being the typical girl that would take any reason to take it off ^_^.

Not that the OP shouldn't be admired for observing her hijab under pressure but I think it is a little harsh for you to say that the typical girl will not only give into family pressure but will search for "any" reason to remove her hijab.

I know, it's so annoying especially when you're made to feel like the outsider for observing hijab. Unfortunately it probably won't stop so just continue to stay strong. It's sad but at least you know there are others who go through this same thing too. And be thankful that at least you dont live in the same house as nah mehrams such as cousins and in laws.