Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
HamzaTR

Divine Love

Rate this topic

Love of Allah

[...]

1. It is narrated that Allah, the Exalted, revealed to Prophet Dawud (‘a) saying, “O Dawud! My remembrance (dhikr) is for those who remember Me (dhakirin), My paradise is for the obedient ones (muti’in), My love (hubb) is for those who yearn for Me (mushtaqin); while I am specifically for the lovers (muhibbin).” 3

2. Imam as-Sadiq (‘a) says: “Love is better than fear (khawf).” 4

3. Muhammad bin Ya’qub al-Kulayni reports from Imam as-Sadiq (‘a), “There are three types of worshippers (‘ubbad); a people who worship Allah, the All-mighty, the Majestic, out of fear; this is the worship of the slaves. A people who worship Allah, the Blessed, the Exalted, for reward; this is the worship of the merchants. And a people who worship Allah, the All-mighty, the Majestic, out of love; this is the worship of the free people, and it is the best kind of worship (‘ibadah).” 5

4. Al-Kulayni also narrates from Holy Prophet (S) , “The best of the people is he who is passionately in love with worship (‘ibadah), embraces it, loves it from his heart, applies his body to it and attends to it, such that he is not bothered in which condition he is in this world, in difficulty or in ease.” 6

5. Imam as-Sadiq (‘a) says: “The secret conversation of those who have attained thorough recognition of Allah (‘arifin) revolves round three principles: fear (khawf), hope (raja’), and love (hubb). Fear is the subsidiary of knowledge (‘ilm), hope is a subsidiary of certainty (yaqin), and love is a subsidiary of recognition (ma’rifah). The sign of fear is taking flight (harab) {from the anger of Allah}; the sign of hope is seeking (talab); and the sign of love is to give preference to the Beloved over everything other than Him.

Thus, when knowledge is actualized in the breast (sadr), he would have fear (khawf); and when the fear gets firm, he would take flight (harab); and if he takes flight, he would attain salvation (najat); and when the light of certainty shines on his heart, he would witness the grace (fadl), and when he is able to see the grace, he would become hopeful; and when he experiences the sweetness of {the state of} hope, he would seek (talaba); and if he succeeds in seeking, he would find (wajada).

When the light of recognition (ma‘rifah) is disclosed (tajalla) to the heart (fu’ad), the breeze of love is stirred up (haja); and when the breeze of love is stirred up, he would become intimate with the patronage (dilal) of the Beloved, and prefer him over everything other than Him, and carry out His orders.

The parable of these three principles is that of the holy Sanctuary (haram), the sacred Mosque (al-masjid), and the ka‘bah; whoever enters the haram would be safe from the creatures; and whoever enters the masjid his limbs would be guarded from being employed by him in sinning; and whoever enters the ka‘bah his heart would be protected from being occupied by him with the remembrance of other than Allah.” 7

6. The Holy Prophet (S) is related to have said, “Prophet Shu’ayb (‘a) wept out of love of Allah, the All-mighty, the Majestic, until he lost his sight…, so Allah revealed onto him saying, ‘O Shu‘ayb! If this was out of fear of the Fire, then I have protected you from it; and if it was out of eagerness for the Heaven, then I have permitted you {to enter it}.’ So he said, ‘O Allah, O my Master, You are aware that I did not weep out of fear of Your fire, nor out of eagerness for Your heaven, but {because} Your love has engaged my heart such that I cannot endure {it} until I see You.’ So Allah, the Majestic, revealed to him saying, ‘If this is the case, then because of this I will make the one who spoke to Me (kalimi), Musa bin ‘Imran, to be at your service.” 8

7. A phrase in the book of Prophet Idris (‘a) read, “Blessed are a people who worshipped Me out of love, and took Me as {their} lord and nourisher, and kept awake at night and persisted during daytime in acquiring My pleasure without fear or eagerness, nor out of fear of the Fire or aspiration of the Heaven, but due to {their} sincere love, firm resolution, and detachment from all other Me.” 9

Imam al-Husayn (‘a) says in the supplication of ‘arafah, “Blind is the eye which does not see You watchful over itself, and the bargain of a servant for whom You have not allotted a share from Your love is in loss.” 10

Belief and Love

It has appeared in the Islamic sources that belief is nothing but love. Imam al-Baqir (‘a) says: “Belief (Iman) is love (hubb) and hatred (bughd).” 11

Fudayl bin Yasar reports, “I asked Abu ‘Abdillah {as-Sadiq} about love and hatred whether they are part of belief. He replied, ‘And is Iman other than love and hatred?’”12

Imam as-Sadiq (‘a) has also said, “Is religion (din) other than love? Allah, the All-mighty, the Majestic, says: ‘Say, ‘If you love Allah, then follow me; Allah will love you.’ 13 ” 14

Imam al-Baqir (‘a) is reported to have said, “Religion is the love, and love is the religion.” 15

The Pleasure of Love

If worship is out of love, eagerness and yearning, then there is no pleasure and sweetness above it. Imam Zayn al-’Abidin (‘a), who is among those who had tasted the sweetness of love and remembrance of Allah, says: “O Allah… how pleasant is the taste of Your love, and how sweet is the drink of Your proximity.” 16

Indeed such a sweetness and pleasure dwells in the hearts of the friends (awliya’) of Allah. It is not something which occurs to them at times and goes away at other times. When the sweetness of the love of Allah settles in the heart of a person, then such a heart is the one inhabited by the love of Allah. And Allah shall never punish a heart inhabited by His love and in which the sweetness of His love has settled.

Imam ‘Ali (‘a) says: “O Allah, by Your might and glory, I have loved You with a love whose sweetness has settled in my heart. And the hearts of those who confess Your Oneness cannot believe that You hate Your lovers.” 17

Imam ‘Ali bin al-Husayn (‘a) says regarding this steady and established state of the Divine love, “By Your might, O my Master, even if You drive me away, I will not leave Your door, and I will not cease to compliment You, because of what I have come to know of Your generosity and kindness.” 18

This is one of the most eloquent expressions describing the profundity of love and its abiding in the heart, such that it would not disappear from it or change even if his Master were to drive him away and distance him from His proximity. And far it is from Him that He should do that with a servant in whose heart His love has dwelt.

When one experiences the taste of the love of Allah, and the pleasure of intimacy with Him, he would not prefer anything over Him. Imam Zayn al-’Abidin (‘a), the leader of the lovers, says: “O Allah, who can have tasted the sweetness of Your love, then wanted another in place of You? And who can have become intimate with Your nearness, then sought removal from You?” 19

The reason behind the difference of the people in relation to their goals and views about life is that they are deprived of the pleasure of the love of Allah. Otherwise those who have experienced such a pleasure do not seek anything else in life after this.

In the supplication of ‘arafah, Imam Husayn bin ‘Ali (‘a) says: “What has he found one who has lost You? And what has he lost one who has found You?” 20

Imam Zayn al-’Abidin (‘a) seeks forgiveness from Allah for every pleasure other than the pleasure of the love of Allah, and for every occupation other than the remembrance of Allah, and from every happiness other than that of the proximity to Allah; not because Allah has prohibited His servants from all this, rather because of the fact that all this is the result of the distraction of one’s heart from Allah, and of its occupation with other than His remembrance even for a short time; whereas a heart which has experienced the pleasure of the love of Allah is never distracted from Him.

In fact, the dynamic force behind every action and endeavour in the life of the friends of Allah is the love of Allah, the Exalted, His remembrance and obedience. Anything beside this is seen as diversion from Allah. Hence, Imam as-Sajjad (‘a) seeks Allah’s forgiveness for all this and says: “I pray forgiveness from You for every pleasure other than that of Your remembrance, and for every ease other than that of intimacy with You, and for every happiness other than that of proximity to You, and for every occupation other than obeying You.” 21

[...]

3. Bihar al-Anwar, vol.98, pg.226.

4. Ibid, vol.78, pg.226.

5. Usul al-Kafi, vol.2, pg.84.

6. Ibid, vol.2, pg.83.

7. Misbah al-Shari’ah, pg.2 3.

8. Bihar al-Anwar, vol.12, pg.380.

9. Ibid, vol.95, pg.467.

10. Ibid, vol.98, pg.226.

11. Ibid, vol.78, pg.175.

12. Usul al-Kafi, vol.2, pg.125.

13. Qur’an, 3:31.

14. Bihar al-Anwar, vol.69, pg.237.

15. Nur at-Thaqalayn, vol.5, pg.285.

16. Bihar al-Anwar, vol.98, pg.26.

17. Munajat Ahl al-Bayt, pg.96 97.

18. Bihar al-Anwar, vol.98, pg.85.

19. Bihar al-Anwar, vol.94, pg.148.

20. Ibid, vol.98, pg.226.

21. Ibid, vol.94, pg.151.

On 12/23/2012 at 5:19 PM, HamzaTR said:

Excerpt from the book "Perspectives on the Concept of Love in Islam" by Mahnaz Heydarpoor

http://www.al-islam.org/love_in_islam/

Another source for this excerpt is at the Imam Reza AS website:

http://www.imamreza.net/eng/imamreza.php?id=843

@Naqi Zaidi  This is the topic about Divine Love. Please add your comments here, if you please.

[Mod Note: The site is down right now. InShaAllah it will come back later.]

Edited by Hameedeh
Mod Note

I am in you and i am you. No one can understand this until he has lost his mind'' ~Rumi~. if you change yourself for the sake Of Divine Love then love will be our guardian.Love is a blessing of Allah & I choose the path of love.

consider your nafs a tempting veil between You and Allah . To be fair ,The Fear is the tool

Love has no loss , no profit , but love originated only from profits and loses , once it is achieved then no loss and no.profit will effect it.I mean that how will you recognise Love from reading or writing about love .no , from experiencing the gain and loss of Love.That will teach you original meanings,of Love and you realise that Love is not to get and give , Love is only Giving ...

So no.fear of loss and gain then , just keep giving Love and will originates,more and more

1st Version: Pain and pleasure are nothing but our state of mind..they are both related to Love. If we get anything or anyone we love it's called Pleasure and if we loose anything or anyone we love it's called Pain . It's a story of Love ; Pain and pleasure revolve around a point , that is Love!

2nd Version :Pain is not that you feel when you get hurt,it is when someone hurts because of you.Pleasure is not when you get what you want it is when someone really smiles because of you.Pain n pleasure are tools to keep us connected with humanity; if you feel pain when you got hurt doesn't mean you are human its a very primary stage of awareness even animals can feel it.Being human is not an easy job you must keep the flow of eternal life that connects you with everything.Feeling the pain of others is a real sign of Humanity.we should always try to lessen the pain of others by believing in what goes around comes around. (Drd e dil k wasty paida kia insaan ko!)

salam,

WOW(world of wonder)

in Islam tis said: sub'hanallah...

ws

:bismillah:

On 10/30/2016 at 4:42 AM, Naqi Zaidi said:

I am in you and i am you. No one can understand this until he has lost his mind'' ~Rumi~. if you change yourself for the sake Of Divine Love then love will be our guardian.Love is a blessing of Allah & I choose the path of love.

consider your nafs a tempting veil between You and Allah . To be fair ,The Fear is the tool

Love has no loss , no profit , but love originated only from profits and loses , once it is achieved then no loss and no.profit will effect it.I mean that how will you recognise Love from reading or writing about love .no , from experiencing the gain and loss of Love.That will teach you original meanings,of Love and you realise that Love is not to get and give , Love is only Giving ...

So no.fear of loss and gain then , just keep giving Love and will originates,more and more

1st Version: Pain and pleasure are nothing but our state of mind..they are both related to Love. If we get anything or anyone we love it's called Pleasure and if we loose anything or anyone we love it's called Pain . It's a story of Love ; Pain and pleasure revolve around a point , that is Love!

2nd Version :Pain is not that you feel when you get hurt,it is when someone hurts because of you.Pleasure is not when you get what you want it is when someone really smiles because of you.Pain n pleasure are tools to keep us connected with humanity; if you feel pain when you got hurt doesn't mean you are human its a very primary stage of awareness even animals can feel it.Being human is not an easy job you must keep the flow of eternal life that connects you with everything.Feeling the pain of others is a real sign of Humanity.we should always try to lessen the pain of others by believing in what goes around comes around. (Drd e dil k wasty paida kia insaan ko!)

Salam Alaikom, can you explain more. What is your view regarding aql, because aql is also non-physical.