Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Prayer In The Western World

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Here in the USA, often one has to work during times of prayer. I hate missing my prayers because of this. What is the Shia view in regards to this? I heard Shia often pray three times (all five prayers) to compesate for this. Can someone provide some information on this matter? Thanks.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

It is recommended to pray all 5 prayers separately, but there is no problem with combining the Dhuhr and `Asr as well as Maghrib and `Isha.

This might help: http://www.al-islam....les/combine.pdf

(wasalam)

Thanks, this is just what I needed. As for you Roachy, its simply not practical to pray where I work. One of my jobs in a petstore, full of dogs, an unclean area to pray.

• Advanced Member

Here in the USA, often one has to work during times of prayer. I hate missing my prayers because of this. What is the Shia view in regards to this? I heard Shia often pray three times (all five prayers) to compesate for this. Can someone provide some information on this matter? Thanks.

(salam)

See this hadeeth, this might help you.

محمد بن يحيى، عن أحمد بن محمد، عن علي بن الحكم، عن عبدالله بن بكير، عن زرارة، عن أبي عبدالله (عليه السلام) قال: صلى رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله) بالناس الظهر والعصر حين زالت الشمس في جماعة من غير علة وصلى بهم المغرب والعشاء الآخرة قبل سقوط الشفق من غير علة في جماعة وإنما فعل رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله) ليتسع الوقت على امته

1. (1) Muhammad bin Yahya from Ahmad bin Muhammad from Ali bin Hakam from Abdallah bin Bukayr from Zurara (bin A’yan) from Abi Abdillah عليه السلام who said: The messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله prayed with the people – the Dhuhr and the Asr (one immediately after the other) – when the sun had crossed the meridian (Zawal) in congregation, and without there being a necessitating cause (for it), and He also prayed with them – the Maghrib and the Isha (one immediately after the other) before the (complete) disappearance of the redness of the horizon (after sun set), without there being a necessitating cause, and (this too) in congregation, and verily the messenger of Allah did so in order to ease the burden of time upon his Ummah. (Muwathaq due to Abdallah)

http://mutabaralkafi...kitab-as-salat/

Edited by aquibriz
  • Advanced Member

So you say you don't have the time or the place to pray?

I have lived in the USA for more than 15 years and have worked in several jobs. Many times, I have spent the entire day/ week at a client at a new location. Never once I had a problem from anyone taking 10-15 mins off to go pray. You do get a lunch hour, utilize it to go prayer and pray at the best time "Fazzilat" The connection you will build with Allah by taking time in the middle of a busy day to go pray is invaluable.

Don't know where to pray, if your employer does not give permission to pray in the office, utilize the garage, park your car next to an empty spot and pray. Use the sidewalk (its public property) you don't need permission, as you pay your taxes.

If there is a will there is a way.

Iltemas-e-Dua

Edited by abba
  • Veteran Member

Use the sidewalk (its public property) you don't need permission, as you pay your taxes.

If there is a will there is a way.

Iltemas-e-Dua

salam,

This is not a 100% good advice. Prayer in places that might cause unconvenience to people is not right and it can even be haram.

Places where Offering Prayers is Makrooh

907. There are a number of places where it is Makrooh to offer prayers. Some of them are the following:

• Public bath
  • Saline land
  • Facing a human person
  • Facing an open door
  • On a road or street, provided that offering of prayers at these places does not cause inconvenience to others. If it is a source of inconvenience, and discomfort to them, it is haraam to obstruct their way.

http://www.al-islam....sofnamaaz2.html

I could not agree more on the rest of your post though, especially when you speak of building a daily relationship with Allah SWT.

Edited by realizm