Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Dear Reader, this article may contain some msiatkes, please help me to correct them..many thanks

Almokhtar Revolution

_dsc106544330443.jpg

Who is Almokhtar?

Almokhtar was brought up in a noble family. His father, Abu ‘Obaidah b. Mas’od b. ‘Amro, b. ‘Omair ,b. ‘Awf, b. Ghirah, b. ‘Awf, b. Qesi(Thaqeif) b. Munbeh, b. Baker, b. Hawazen.

His mother: Domah, the daughter of ‘Amro b. Wahab, b. Mu’teb. She was a woman of eloquence, rhetoric, and logic. (1)

Almokhtar was born in the year of -Hijrah- when the prophet SAWA migrated from Mecca to Medina (2).

His social status

Almokhtar had a high class social status. Ibn abdul Ber described him saying,” Almokhtar was counted among the people of virtues and good doings”. He also said,”Almokhtar was among the people of virtues and faith” (3)

He was one of the heads of Shiite in Kufa, and was arrested along with another 14 other men from among the dignitaries of Kufa, because of their loyalty to Ahlulbayt AS. The arrest happened during the period of Ziyad Ibn Abeh- the son of unknown father- governing to Kufa.

One of the evidence of his prestigious high position is that Muslim b. ‘Aqeel AS stayed in his house when he came to Kufa as an ambassador of Imam Hussain AS.

The relation of Almokhtar with Ahlulbayt AS

Almokhtar had a relationship for a long time with The Householders of Messenger of Allah SAWA , since he was a little child. He arose and grow between them because he moved to Medina with his father during the time of Omar-the caliphate-. His father went to Iraq and was martyred in the battle of Aljisr (the bridge), and Almokhtar stayed in Medina closer to Bani Hashim (the prophet SAWA clan).(4)

Imam Ali AS sensed the smartness and acumen of Almokhtar since he was a child. He AS used to sit him on his lap and smooth his head, and tell him “ O’ Smart boy, O’ Smart boy” (5)

He continued his frequent visits to Bani Hashim to learn from them literature and sciences. After a period of time of Imam Hassans’ AS reconciliation, he returned from Kufa to Medina. He was sitting with Mohamed b. Alhanafeia AS and learning from him traditions(6).

the book Maqtal Al-Imam AlHussain AS, by Abdul Razaq Almoqaram stated the following,” Almokhtar b. Abu Obaida Althaqafi… he was in company with the family of the Holiest Messenger SAWA. He benefited and learned from them lots of sciences, virtuous ethics, and gave them advices privately and publicly.(7)”

The meeting of Almokhtar with Maitham Altamar

After the supporters of Muslim bin ‘Aqeel turned against him, and after he was hidden in some of the houses of Kufa, the conditions were suited to the goof ‘Obaidullah b. Ziyad.

At the same times when Muslim b. ‘Aqeel AS was hidden, Almokhtar entered Kufah holding a green flag (8) and surrendered by his companions (9), until he reached Bab Altho’ban- the door of the snake- of the Mosque of Kufa where he was shocked because the news of the inversion of people of Kufa did not reach him yet. He was confused, do not know the place of Muslim to support him nor was able to return back to home, because the army of ibn Ziyad closed all the entrances and exits gates of Kufa. Also ibn Ziyad announced curfew in the streets and alleys of Kufa.

While thinking of all this hard choices, Hani b. Abu Haia Alwade’i passed by him and told him to stay with ‘Amro b. Horaith, and he accepted compelled until morning (10).

In the second day ibn Ziyad ordered to see all people, and Almokhtar entered with them. ibn Ziyad said to him directly,” Were you the one who came with a group to support ibn ‘Aqeel?”

He said to him,” I did not, but I came and became under command of ‘Amro b. Horaith , I stayed my night with him, and the morning”

‘Amro said,: He is right may Allah guide you to the right path” ‘Obadullah b. Ziyad raised a rod and hit the face of Almokhtar, cut his eye, and said,” By Allah, but for the witness of ‘Amro I would have beheaded you! Take him to jail!(11)”

After days of arresting Almokhtar, Maitham Altamar was arristed, and jailed with Almokhtar in the same prison. After a conversation between them, Almokhtar have had a hope to survive from the hands of those evils, but also will have the have the great honor of avenging the Master of Martyrs and his righteous companions. Maitham has told him a tradition, narrating the commander of the faithful Ali b. Abu Taleb AS,” You will flee, and raise up to avenge the bloods of Hussain AS, and will kill the one who kill us”

Almokhtar soul was reassured when hearing this tradition, because he trust the source, and believe in it. He started to count house and moments, and was preparing himself to do the greatest mission.

The impact of killing Imam Hussain AS on Almokhtar

Days were going fast in the prison of Ibn Ziyad May Allah curse him, and the news were ot brining anything but bad.

Suddenly, the prisoners heard about the major tragedy, and the greatest massacre where the bloods of Imam Hussain AS, the family of Hussain AS, and his companions were shed on the land of Karbala, after three days of deadly thirst. Also, they separated the heads from the bodies, and left their bodies naked and dusted, and their faces covered with blood and dust… the sun was burning them, and the winds was blowing on them. after that, they carried the women and children of Imam Ali AS family on skinny camels, as captives to the sons of Altolaqa- the freed once-.

Whenever the news of Karbala and captives reach Almokhtar and his companions, they were being in great pain, and their anger becomes greater on those criminals. They were feeling with dereliction towards the Messenger of Allah SAWA Family, and in remorse for failing the righteous once, and for being silent front of falsehood.

The raising of Altwabeen (Repentant) and Almokhtar

The movement of Altwabeen was led by five Shiite leaders, they were: Solaiman b. Sard Alkhoza’ee, Almosaiab b. Najbah Alfazazi, Adbullah b. Sa’d b. Nofail Alazdi, Abdullah b. Wali Altamemi, and Refa’ah b. Shadad Albajli. All of them were among the righteous companions of Imam Ali AS.

Taking one look at these names will give you an idea about the clans which supported this repentantly movement.

Soliaman b. Sard has written to Shiite of Madaen and Basra cities to invite them to avenge Imam Hussain AS, and they all answered his call and responded to him.

When the army of Altwabeen met with army of ibn Ziyad, he-ibn Ziyad- asked them to surrender and pledge their allegiances to Abdul Malek b. Marwan, but the leaders of Altwabeen refused his demands. Then Altwabeen asked the army of Syria to displace Abdul Malek , join Altwabeen to fight Umayyad and Alzobair group, and to give the position of Caliphate to the family of Messenger of Allah SAWA, but the Syrian army refused.

Later, the battle took place between the two armies, and Altawabeen resisted front of the army of Syria and fought them bravely. The battle almost ended in their favor, but for the arrows which were falling on them from every corner, until their leader Solaiman was hit with an arrow which killed him.

After him, Almosaiab b. Najbah took the leadership of the army. He was one of the heroes of Kufa. He fought with the remaining of the army against the Syrians. When he was killed, his companions fought to death and attacked the Syrian army while shouting,” Heaven! Heaven to the remaining of the companions of Abu Turab –Imam Ali-“

The battle ended for the favor of Syrians, the alive once which remained of the army of Altwabeen have returned back each one to his country. They could not achieve their goals which they fought for.

The news of martyrdom of Solaiman and his companions by Obaidullah b. Ziyad, and the returning of the rest of Altwabeen to Kufa reached Almokhtar while he was in jail. Therefore he have written to them to thank them for their Jihad, and asked them to join him again on the revolution. The letter stated,” etc; Allah has made your reward greater. He has just decreased your sins for fighting the unjust. You haven’t take a step or did not cross by some difficulties, spent money, unless Allah get you a higher grade, and written to you a reward. If you give money or walk, Allah will reward you. Good tidings! If I raise up I will vanish all your enemies in the east and west by Allah.. Allah welcomes he who get closer to us, and follow the right path, and Allah would not keep away anyone except those who refuse and disobey us”

They answered him,” We have written your letter, and we are as you wishes. If you order us, we will come to the prison to take you out” (12)

Announcing the revolution of Al-Mokhtar

The extraordinary character of Almokhtar was able to bring the majority of opponents of Umayyad and the Alzobair governments. Also the political atmosphere was charged with tension against the governor of ibn Alzobair, who hired killers of Imam Hussain AS to control Kufa.

Almokhtar used these atmosphere to start his revolution, and he chosed the 14th of Rabi’ Althani as the date to announce the birthday of his revolution.

Almokhtar was able to take control of the government castle of Kufa, and putted his hands on the Kufa after four days of attack and escape strategy.

He sit in the castle, and people were gathered around him to pledge their allegiances, until huge number of Arab masters and slaves gave their pledges to him. (13)

After he controlled Kufa completely, he sent officials and governors around Kufa and its provinces. He sent his workers to the mountains and all around his country. (14)

Imams AS said about him

-When Al-Mokhtar sent the heads of 'Obayd Allah b. Ziya`d and 'Umar b. Sa'd to Imam Zayn al-'Abidin, AS, and he prostrated himself in prayer for Allah, and said: "Praise belongs to Allah who has taken my revenged on my enemies! May Allah repay al-Mokhtar good!

- Imam Abu Ja'far (al-Baqir), peace be on him, said: "Curse not al-Mokhtar, for he killed those who killed us, demanded vengeance for us, made our widows join in marriage, and divided properties among us in the strained circumstances." (15)

- Abu Ja'far Al-Baqir, peace be on him, said: “Glory belongs to Allah! By Allah, my father told me that al-Mokhtar had sent the dower of my mother. Did he not build our houses, kill those who killed us, and avenge our blood? May Allah have mercy on him!.”(16)

Imam Al-Sadiq AS: "No Ha`shimite woman combed (her hair) nor did she dye (it) wit henna until al-Mukhta`r sent us the heads of those who killed Hussain, peace be on him.(17)”

References:

1. A’lam alnesa: V1, Page 421

2. Bihar Al Anwar: V45, Page 350

3. Aleste’ab (section four): Page 1465

4. Ala’lam: V18, Page 70

5. Mo’jam Rejal Alhadeeth: V18, Page 95

6. Bihar Al Anwar: V45, Page 352

7. Bihar Al Anwar: V45, Page 352

8. Trekh Altabari: V5, Page 381

9. Tarekh Altabari: V5, page 569

10. Tarekh Altabari: V5, Page 570

11. Tarekh Altabari: V5, Page 570

12. Tarekh Altabari: V4, Page 94

13. Bihar Al Anwar: V45, Page 361

14. Bihar Al Anwar: V45, Page 366

15. Bihar Al Anwar: V45, Page 343

16. Bihar Al Anwar: V45, Page 351

17. Safenatul Bihar: V1, Page 435

Mukhtar [r] has questions around him for those who do not know the principles of our maddhab.

Not really.

Because he didn't really avenge for Imam Husayn, if he did, then Imam Mahdi wouldnt be after Imam Husayns revenge. Mukhtar al Thakafi yes he killed al Shimr, etc.. but he also had his own reasons, and it was to rise to power, and other reasons, so it wasn't completely for the sake of Allah (swt) and Imam Hussayn.

As you know in Islam the niyya is the most important thing, and in Khandaq Battle when Amr bin Wid spat on Imam Ali, Imam Ali walked away said Istaghfarullah, and then killed him, because if he killed him right away the niyya would be because he spat on him, but when he moved away, he focused again, and his niyya was in the Sake of Allah (Swt)

Edited by RoAcHy

^ I think we discussed this topic recently in the shia-sunni section and narrations about Al-Mukhtar from both shias and sunnis

There were many who wanted to blacken his reputation but the lack of support he got from the "old-guard" of shiite of ALi is critical evidence AGAINST him, esp since he ruled for a long time and his episode was not like Karbala.

Not really.

Because he didn't really avenge for Imam Husayn, if he did, then Imam Mahdi wouldnt be after Imam Husayns revenge. Mukhtar al Thakafi yes he killed al Shimr, etc.. but he also had his own reasons, and it was to rise to power, and other reasons, so it wasn't completely for the sake of Allah (swt) and Imam Hussayn.

Salam alaikom

about the revenge of imam Hussain AS, well almokhtar has only killed the crimnals of those who killed imam hussain AS directly. not all of them thought!

Still there are those who were the reason behind killing imam hussain AS, also what about the revenge of fatima AS and other imams? and the revenge of shiite during all history of islam? as stated in Ziyarat wareth (Peace be upon you - the one who will be avenged by Allah, and O son of the one who will be avenged by

Allah -)!

Almokhtar, yes he avenged imam hussain AS, by killing number of those crimnals of Karbala but still he did not finish job and was martyred..

Peace be upon you O’ the one who was killed and whose blood has not yet been avenged – and whose avenging is in the hands of Allah..Ziyarat Ashora

is my post suitable to be published as a folder?

Salam alaikom

about the revenge of imam Hussain AS, well almokhtar has only killed the crimnals of those who killed imam hussain AS directly. not all of them thought!

Still there are those who were the reason behind killing imam hussain AS, also what about the revenge of fatima AS and other imams? and the revenge of shiite during all history of islam? as stated in Ziyarat wareth (Peace be upon you - the one who will be avenged by Allah, and O son of the one who will be avenged by

Allah -)!

Almokhtar, yes he avenged imam hussain AS, by killing number of those crimnals of Karbala but still he did not finish job and was martyred..

Peace be upon you O’ the one who was killed and whose blood has not yet been avenged – and whose avenging is in the hands of Allah..Ziyarat Ashora

is my post suitable to be published as a folder?

Thats not the point. Nobody is saying he didn't killed the opressors of AhlulBayt. His intentions weren't clear 100%. He had mixed intentions for killing them.

Salamalaikum,

Allah azwj knows his intentions and may he receive shafaat of imam Hussain a.s. due to the good works he did for ahlulbayth a.s. and may Allah azwj forgive his vices. I did not agree with his ideology and his doubtful ways however it is enough for me that the imams a.s will finally forgive him for the good that he did. I have already gifted him a chunk of my good deeds and recited Surat innaa anzalna on his grave to seek Allah azwj's forgiveness for him.

The intention of making a televised serial succeeded in the wrong way as people now pretend to follow the path of mukhtar unaware of its status after hazrath zayd ibn ali ibn Hussain a.S's death.

Ya ali madad

Im not talking about him from my own brain.

محمد بن الحسن و عثمان بن حامد، قالا حدثنا محمد بن يزداد الرازي، عن محمد بن الحسين بن أبي الخطاب، عن عبد الله المزخرف، عن حبيب الخثعمي، عن أبي عبد الله (ع) قال كان المختار يكذب على علي بن الحسين (عليهما السلام

From Habīb al-Khath`amī from Abī `Abd Allāh (عليه السلام) said: “al-Mukhtār used to lie against (or, about) `Alī bin al-Ḥussayn (عليه السلام)”

It is narrated from Umar, the son of Zainul Abideen, that in the beginning, Mukhtar sent 20,000 dinar to my father, and my father took them, and rebuilt the homes of Aqeel ibn abi talib and other bani hashim which were destroyed by bani umayyah. And when Mukhtar adopted a false religion, and then he sent 40,000 dinar to my father, but he didn’t accept and returned it.

Similarly it is narrated with a reliable chain from Imam Baqir that Mukhtar wrote a letter to my father, alongwith gifts from Iraq. When the messengers reached the place of Imam, and asked to enter, Zainul Abideen said: Turn back, I don’t accept gifts from liars, and neither do I read their letters.

Jila ul Ayun , by Baqir Majlisi, p. 805-807

Edited by RoAcHy

^^ between brother roachy's post and this post is a question of why and what he did after the letter was returned? Sought forgiveness?

Imam Baqir(as) says:

أبي جعفر الباقر عليه السلام أنه قال لا تسبوا المختار فإنه قتل قتلتنا و طلب بثارنا و زوج أراملنا و قسم فينا المال على العسرة

"Don’t say bad about Mukhtar as he has killed those who killed Us, took the reveneg of Our blood, arranged marriages of Our widows and distributed wealth to the needy people among Us."

Source: Rijal-e-Kashi Pg.125 / Bihar Al Anwar Vol.45 Pg.343

But anyway this should be enough however brother Nader wouldn't agree with its authenticity

Edited by siraatoaliyinhaqqun

Man I dont care who agrees with the authenticity or not. I have sat with a trusted Sheikh, and he told me Shia scholars praise Mukhtar for killing who oppressed Imam Husayn, but he isnt like the savior or so. His intentions where personal. He ws hungry for power as well.

Well he himself admitted it and he was definitely not a saviour or something and none can be except the imam ajf. The point is; we are told not to say bad about him by the ahlulbayth a.s so we submit to the later command, which is from imam baqir a.s. and the qaul of assadiq a.s proves his intentions but does not encourage us to speak bad about him.

We in India organise a thanksgiving for all the policemen and volunteers for helping us organise majalis peacefully and mukhtar was one whose act is still incomparable to such people as he killed the killers of ahlulbayth a.s so we must out of thanks which is in accordance with our imam's command should not speak bad about him at the sometime discourage people from taking his path.

A shia leader in Pakistan is addressed as mukhtar e zamana. Why? No one knows.

Those who speak ill of Mokhtar ath-Thaqafi(a.s), say that he was after power and such things, do not understand politics and what the situation was in the time of Imam Sajjad(a.s). They must first to understand the connection between Mohammad bin Hanaffiyya(a.s) and Imam Sajjad(a.s), and further more do not understand the connection between Mokhtar(a.s) and Mohammad bin Hanaffiyya(a.s).

The reason for Mokhtar(a.s) taking the goverment in Kufa, was to make sure that he had a strong government, before going to destroy people like Shemr,Ibn Sa'ad, Khouli, and others.

If you do not know about Mokhtar(a.s) and do not understand political reasoning in difficult situation, please do not make the mistake of saying bad about Mokhtar(a.s). Some sonni people they say very bad thing about him, because he used Bani Zubayr and fought Bani Umayyah and Bani Zubayr, and because he broke the bay'ah with Abdollah bin Zubayr - even if you examine, his bay'a was conditional and the condition was made for misdirection and to take the Zubayris off the real idea of what he was doing. All the time he was in good close contact with Mohammad bin Hanaffiyya(a.s) and Imam Sajjad(a.s).

Mokhtar.

Then what do we make of the reports pointing to Muslim b. Aqil [as] lodging in (Mukhtar's) house when he came to Kufah, specifically after the Imam had commanded Muslim in his instructions to him before he left - 'Fa Idha Dakhaltaha Fa Anzil Inda Awthaq Ahlaha' - 'So when you enter it (Kufah) then stay with the most trustworthy of its inhabitants' (al-Futuh 5/36).

And this view that he lodged in Mukhtar's house is what al-Mufid accepts in his al-Irshad (Pg. 205) (from at-Tabari's version 3/279).

Even though I have seen Ibn Kathir report that he lodged with Muslim b. Awsaja in al-Bidaya.

Edited by Islamic Salvation

http://www.revivinga...aqafi-liar.html

Here's the narration that one of the brother's uses to bash Mukhtar [r]:

The verb could also mean to deny, which is milder than lie. I say that the Imam (as) issued this out of taqiyyah just as we have some narrations from one of the later imams criticizing Zayd ®. The Imams wanted to protect themselves and their followers and that's why they issued such narrations to deter them from engaging in revolutionary activity and transform Shiism into a more quietist maddhab.

What are you talking about. I know how to speak Arabic, no it means lie.

Then what do we make of the reports pointing to Muslim b. Aqil [as] lodging in (Mukhtar's) house when he came to Kufah, specifically after the Imam had commanded Muslim in his instructions to him before he left for Kufah - 'Fa Idha Dakhaltaha Fa Anzil Inda Awthaq Ahlaha' - 'So when you enter it (Kufah) then stay with the most trustworthy of its inhabitants'.

And this view that he lodged in Mukhtar's house is what al-Mufid accepts in his al-Irshad [from al-Tabari version].

Even though I have seen Ibn Kathir narrate that he lodged with Muslim b. Awsaja in al-Bidaya.

Man you can't seem to comprehend. I'm not saying Mukhtar al Thaqafi was a Kafir or anything may Allah forbid..I'm just saying the guy did something good, but his intentions weren't just committed to Allah and AhlulBayt. He wanted power as well. There is something called politics.

Man you can't seem to comprehend. I'm not saying Mukhtar al Thaqafi was a Kafir or anything may Allah forbid..I'm just saying the guy did something good, but his intentions weren't just committed to Allah and AhlulBayt. He wanted power as well. There is something called politics.

Do you want me to believe that the one Muslim b. Aqil thinks is 'Awthaqin Nas' (the most trustworthy) in the whole of Kufah is a power-hungry individual?

**Ala Fardh Qabul anna Muslim Nazala Fi Dar al-Mukhtar wa Hiya al-Mashhur Wa Sihhat Wasiyat al-Imam li Muslim inda Khurujihi li Kufah.

I've seen many people doubting al-Mukhtar, but what actually did he gained by killing the killers of al-Husayn (as)? That's something that has never been made clear by al-Mukhtar's opponents.

Your own scholars doubt and put questions around him.

But he is still praised because he did kill the killers of Imam Hussein.

Edited by RoAcHy

I know. I know about the traditions that cast some doubts on the character of al-Mukhtar, my question, and again, what did he gained by killing al-Husayn (as) murderers?

Do you want me to believe that the one Muslim b. Aqil thinks is 'Awthaqin Nas' (the most trustworthy) in the whole of Kufah is a power-hungry individual?

**Ala Fardh Qabul anna Muslim Nazala Fi Dar al-Mukhtar wa Hiya al-Mashhur Wa Sihhat Wasiyat al-Imam li Muslim inda Khurujihi li Kufah.

People change. How many disciples of the Imams (as) then later went astray and fell into heresy? We know in history there were a number of examples. Would we say for instance that because the founders of the Waqifiyya were comprised of former wakils of the Imam, that we should credit their sect?

People change. How many disciples of the Imams (as) then later went astray and fell into heresy? We know in history there were a number of examples. Would we say for instance that because the founders of the Waqifiyya were comprised of former wakils of the Imam, that we should credit their sect?

It is possible.

But I certainly think that the credentials of Mukhtar as a true Shia are boosted with this point, that is, Muslim stayed at his house and it was the base for the Husaynid revolution in Kufah.

Also, there is just too much criticism on Mukhtar from pro-Arab aristocracy of the time (Zubayrid and Ummayad) for his pro-Mawali stances, and they have fabricated a lot to put him down i.e. all this about him claiming prophethood nonsense, some of these might have seeped into our sources, as has been known to happen.

Grand Ayatollah Rohani: Mokhtar Saqafi is arguably one of the greatest men of Allah, and certainly has his place in paradise.

There has been some disagreement about Mokhtar Saqafi’s character. His eminence Grand Ayatollah Seyyed Sadeq Rohani answered some questions as follows:

Q: Considering that some praise and some criticize Mokhtar Saqafi , what do you think about him? According to the narration, why did Mohammad Hanfia claimed to be an Imam?

A: what Mokhtar did for Islam and the value of his acts can not be described well enough by me or anyone else like me. It is a lie that he claimed Mohammad Hanafia as his Imam.

Mukhtar's grandson meeting with Imam Sadeq (as) reveals his high position amongthe Imams (pbuh) and his behavior with the killers of Imam Hussain (as), his interest in Imams (as). Furthermore, there was a political aspect to his relationship with Mohammad Hanafyh. Some also accuse him of forming and leading Kisanya Hezb; however, according to solid proofs, this party was formed after he passed away.

He is definitely one of the greatest men of Allah and has his place in heaven. May Allah exalt him. It should also be noted that he explicitly said that Imam Sajjad (as) is both your Imam and mine.

http://www.emamrohani.net/main.php?news=10

Aslamalaykum,

Hazrat Mukhtar r.a was truly a great man and I've made these points before but I shall repeat them again for the benefit of the readers.....

Yes there are narration which criticise Him but there are also narrations which praise Him. The crucial point that people overlook is that Hazrat Mukhtar r.a lived in a very hostile times where even his followers betrayed/forsook Him because they couldn't understand the wisdom behind certain actions that He took. He faced opposition from not only Ummayads, Zubairies but also the shia of the time, some of these shias are narrators of the hadiths so it's not surprising that you will find narrations condemning Him.

I think its important not to polarize ourselves when dealing with historical personalities esp who are kind of controversial like Mukhtar.There are too many conflicting reports on him to draw a defiante conclusion on him.We know that his uncle Sa'd b Masud Thaqafi was a supporter of ALi and governer of Mada'in but it seems like he later was appointed by Governer by Muawiyah ( not sure of this though, I read it in a secondary source about Mukhtar and it had no footnotes) I checked ibn Athir but he mentions no support for Ali or muawiyah in his biography of Sa'd.Mukhtar is allegedly said to have proposed to him to hand over Hasan to muaiwyah but some say thats anti-mukhtar slander.When Tawwabun left Kufa, mukhtar was not with them as he disagreed with their approach, lack of his support didnt seem to matter much to tawwabun though.Rifa'a b Shaddad a survivor of Tawwabun and later a supporter of mukhtar is said to have turned against him.Is it known if Kumayl b Ziyad or Abu Tufayl supported him to the end ? ( unlikely as both survived way past his time) and both died in Hajjaj's time or later.His main support seems to come from the Mawali which was resented by Ashraf of Kufa and this more than anything else seems to be the primary source of opposition to him.

Do we know of any famous shia leaders who were killed with Mukhtar ?

Contrast his uprising with that of Ashath b Qays a few years later when a large number of Qurra ( with both pro-zubbayri and pro-Ali leanings supported him), despite the fact that his uprising was doomed from the start.So why did mukhtar despite his worldy success did not get the support of famous shias of his time ? I could be wrong in this but I would like some of the knowledgable members to share their views

Also, there is just too much criticism on Mukhtar from pro-Arab aristocracy of the time (Zubayrid and Ummayad) for his pro-Mawali stances, and they have fabricated a lot to put him down i.e. all this about him claiming prophethood nonsense, some of these might have seeped into our sources, as has been known to happen

I agree but at the sametime its impossible now to know for sure what is fact and what is fiction as even the mainstream shia leaning historical sources are not very kind to Mukhtar.There is a article by Marshall Hodgeson on Mukhtar where he suggests that blackening of his reputation was done by arab historians but I dont have a copy of it, it would be interesting to read if anyone with .

Muslim b Aqeel staying with Mukhtar definately goes in his favor but may I suggest another view, sometimes the intentions of men can be misjudged e.g Hasan appointed ubaidullah b abbas as his commander against muawiyah but he defected to muawiyah for a bribe.ALthough Hasan expected Ubaidullah to fight like a lion since muaiwyah had recently killed 2 of his sons.

Edited by Panzerwaffe

I'm not suggesting at that that Mukhtar was like Ubaidullah but he might have used the "blood of hussain " slogan much like ummayyads used the "blood of uthman" slogan to get power.Some of the accusations against mukhtar like getting revelations and using chair of ALi are quite outrageous and almost certainly seem like slanders but its interesting that such wild accusations were not made against any subsequent or previous anti-ummayyad uprising ( e.g Tawwabun, Ibn Ashath revolt, Hujr b Adis etc) so I'm inclined to think ( with all my obvious ignorance) that there might be a kernal of truth in them.So bias against mukhtar in our historical cources cannot be explained simply as anti-shia propoganda as most of iraqi historical sources are very sympathetic to Alid cause.

What sort of power?

I'm not able to get much info on what powers he gained by killing the killers of Husayn (as).

Killing of Hussain was extremely unpopular amongst Iraqis and even the zubayris condemned it ( for their own political purposes).But given his past ties with house of ALi a lot of his vengence may have been genuine but he was more astute and politically savy than lets say the tawwabun.

Edited by Panzerwaffe

The crucial point that people overlook is that Hazrat Mukhtar r.a lived in a very hostile times where even his followers betrayed/forsook Him because they couldn't understand the wisdom behind certain actions that He took

But what makes you think Mukhtar was more devoted to Alid cause than others, like I mentioned there were several shias alive in his time who have a much long history of unquestionable devotion to cause of Ahlulbayt than Mukhtar.Maybe they understood his "wisdom" all too well and thats why they withdrew his support from him in the end.

If we look at Mukhtar's family ties were close with abdullah b umar, Samura b jundab and Numan b Bashir who were all of important tribes.His own tribe thaqif was important in the region and around taif and were from the earliest settlers.In this way Mukhtar was very much an insider in the kufan tribal elite and that should not explain the hostility towards him in our sources.If Mukhtar had died early trying to get power from ummayyads he might have been fondly remembered as one of the pietist anti-ummayyad revolutionary in arab chronicles , but maybe it was his worldy success ( albiet temporary ) and his radical policy of empowering the Mawalis ( maybe to create his own constituency to the detriment of other arab tribal leaders whether alid, ummayad, zubayris) which antagonized his peers so much.That could also explain some of his alleged "heretical" innovations, which may have been designed to curry favor with local mawalis who might have been more inclined to a egalitarian messianic leader who promises to change the status quo of kufan tribal politics.

These are again my own ( and flawed) speculations.

Edited by Panzerwaffe