Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why Is Shirk The Worst Sin?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Shirk is the absolute worst thing you can do. It is infinitely many times more worse than genocide, torture, rape....etc

The reasoning is as follows:

-Shirk is a crime against God

-Genocide, torture, rape..etc.. are crimes against humans

-God is infinitely times more superior to humans

-Therefore, Shirk is infinitely times more worse than Genocide, torture, rape..etc

@peace seeker: Why are you attributing jealousy to Allah (swt)? That is shirk itself, you know.

Edited by Kai
  • Advanced Member

The Quran explains that Tawhid is in the very essence of the Man when he was created. The Imams in numerous ahadith have confirmed that the meaning of Nature (Fitra) in the following verse is Tawhid. There are also many other verses that allude to this reality but this shall suffice.

فِطْرَتَ اللَّهِ الَّتِي فَطَرَ النَّاسَ عَلَيْهَا ۚ لَا تَبْدِيلَ لِخَلْقِ اللَّهِ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ الدِّينُ الْقَيِّمُ وَلَٰكِنَّ أَكْثَرَ النَّاسِ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ

the nature made by Allah in which He has made men; there is no altering of Allah’s creation; that is the right religion, but most people do not know (30:30)

This inherent and innate knowledge of Tawhid also helps to explain why Shirk (to associate others with God) is considered as the most grave sin a human being can commit. “To associate others with God is to go against the most fundamental instincts of the human species. It is, so to speak, to betray the human nature and even to leave the domain of human existence. This explains why it is such a grave sin: It is the overturning of what makes us human.” (The vision of Islam, Pg 50)

Understanding Tawhid is therefore integral to understanding one’s self as it is an intrinsic part of a human’s essence. “Claiming ignorance of Tawhid is tantamount to claiming not to be human.”

• Veteran Member

Jealousy is a negative attribute and a sign of being imperfect, and God is perfect. He can not have any negative attributes.

Not necessarily, I can be jealous of a brother that reads and recites the quran well, and knows alot about Islam, thus making me a better muslim and knowledgeable, that is good jealousy, then there is bad, being jealous that a person is healthy and well, and he/she is doing well in life.

But I do agree, Allah is above jealousy, maybe he could have used a better articulate term, wa salaam

Jealousy is a negative attribute and a sign of being imperfect, and God is perfect. He can not have any negative attributes.

Jealousy is like wrath like anger

however, for believers jealousy is converted positively into protectiveness, caring etc

even though wrath and anger can be seen as emotional expressions, they are common expressions by Allah sAwt

may Allah protect us from His wrath

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

Well if u think about it, those who don't believe in God are more likely to sin anyway, like sleep around or tell a lie (the average American actually lies 11 times a week, but a study showed that those who lied 1 time a week or less had much less stress)

I probably shouldn't post right now anyway since I had some niquil and am a bit loopy but I feel Islam is about more than just following a bunch of rules

Yeah... Maybe I'll pm u later or something... Maybe

Lady Vanilla, the first time i read it was from bukhari i believe. it struck me hard and got me very shocked. i remember it exactly a couple of years ago.

Allah gets angry at people even though He doesn't get hurt by their blasphemy, evil deeds and ignorance.

think about it: He gets angry ...

even though he doesn't need anything from anybody.

why should jealousy be any different.

we can all relate to anger and jealousy. jealousy of husband to wife is good btw

get my point ?? sorry if im confusing you.

(wasalam)

• Basic Members

Not necessarily, I can be jealous of a brother that reads and recites the quran well, and knows alot about Islam, thus making me a better muslim and knowledgeable, that is good jealousy, then there is bad, being jealous that a person is healthy and well, and he/she is doing well in life.

But I do agree, Allah is above jealousy, maybe he could have used a better articulate term, wa salaam

Salam,

It is true that there is good jealousy and bad jealousy, but both kinds of jealousy are from someone who is better than you. (That person may be better in good deeds, etc) And there is no one better than Allah, therefore Allah cannot be jealous of anyone.

• Basic Members

Jealousy is like wrath like anger

Salam,

Jealousy and Anger are two very different things. It is possible for Allah to be angry with someone for doing shirk, but it is not possible for Allah to be jealous of someones shirk. A person may be jealous of another person, but how can Allah be jealous of another god, when the other god doesn't even exist. (another god must exist in order for Allah to be jealous, when there is no other god in the first place how is Allah jealous of him??)

There is a difference in meaning. And we cannot compare human emotions with Allah SWT. Allah does not tolerate shirk, but it doesn't conclude that he is jealous just as how a human would get jealous. Allah is above that. There is nothing equal to Allah, so you can't attribute human traits to Allah.

Edited by Lady Vanilla
  • Veteran Member

but why is it ok to say Allah is angry, Allah loves, Allah cares, Allah nurtures, Allah forgives, etc. ?

Its okay to say it in the sense of understanding Allah through our human limited minds, even in the quran Allah says he loves those....

But remember Allah says that because we humans can understand so little, which is why he speaks like that in the quran, Allah is infinite, he is above anything or anyone, infact he is above infinity, he isnt in time space continuum, he neither has a past or future or present, but for us to get closer to Allah we have to understand him in some limited way, which we give Allah those 99 names which once again dont match to the miniscule of Allah, i hope you understand what im trying to say....

you are absolutely right

Salam,

Jealousy and Anger are two very different things. It is possible for Allah to be angry with someone for doing shirk, but it is not possible for Allah to be jealous of someones shirk. A person may be jealous of another person, but how can Allah be jealous of another god, when the other god doesn't even exist. (another god must exist in order for Allah to be jealous, when there is no other god in the first place how is Allah jealous of him??)

waSalam

i understand your point. of course Allah is not jealous of the false god. Allah is jealous that a soul that He created choses something or somebody other than Him. Basically Allah is jealous when people chose the shaytan (nawuthu bilLah min alshaytan alrajeem) over Him.

Allahu Aalam .. i hope im not wrong

• Basic Members

you are absolutely right

waSalam

i understand your point. of course Allah is not jealous of the false god. Allah is jealous that a soul that He created choses something or somebody other than Him. Basically Allah is jealous when people chose the shaytan (nawuthu bilLah min alshaytan alrajeem) over Him.

I think youve got it right, but try not to use the word Jealous. Allah is much greater than that. When you say that "Allah is jealous when people chose shaytan", it sounds as if Allah is a child (nazubillah). Yes Allah is probably angry at the stupidity of the people who choose shaytan over him. (He would be angry not because He needs them, but because He loves them and does not want them to go onto the wrong path.)

• Basic Members

you are absolutely right

waSalam

One more thing, shirk is not always done by "shirk-ing" shaitan to Allah, people do shirk in many other ways.

There are different types of Shirk, for example shirk e khafi (if im not mistaken) where we do twakkul (trust/depend on) someone or something other than Allah.

• Advanced Member

life and death are in the hands of Allah(swt).

but shirk is the the thing for which human beings were created.

i mean they were created for worshipin Allah(swt) only.

whereas in genocide murders, Allah(swt) lessens the punishment for the murdered or they are straight away sent to heaven.

for example; in the case of jihad, it is said that it is one of the gates to heaven just becuase it is fighting for the cause of Allah(swt). so if u are killed by mushrik in fighting for the cause of Allah(Swt) u are sent to heaven.

• Basic Members

Shirk is the worst sin, because when we do any other sin, we are either degrading and disrespecting our selves or someone else. For example when we backbite about someone we are degrading them and we are disrespecting them, but when we do shirk we are disrespecting Allah. In my opinion that is why its a much greater sin than the rest of the sins.

All over then Quran, Allah asks us to make Dua, to ask him for what ever we need, to talk to him about all our problems, yet the human race is so ignorant, its goes to others for help. In Surah Al-Fateha we say: "(5) ایاک نعبد و ایاک نستعین" -- "You alone do we worship and You alone do we ask for help." (Al-Fateha: 5) and yet we do 'Twakkul' on things other than Allah, in other words we forget to depend on Allah, and we depend on every other thing.

I mean, I understand why Allah would be so angry, after all that love and support Allah gives us, we still depend on others. -- I hope u get my point...

Shirk is pretty much analogous to infidelity. How would you feel if your wife/husband cheated on you? And considering the fact that God is ever-watchful, how would you feel like if your husband/wife cheated on you IN FRONT of you? And considering the fact that it is God who is providing and sustaining us, giving His rightful due to someone else is injustice in it's prime. Especially if you do it deliberately.

Besides, for all I know, anyone who doesn't have the same attributes and nature as God will mislead you to your own destruction. Everyone besides God have imperfections, fatal flaws. So, if you worship [and obey] someone else [whether it's your misguided desires, false doubts and self-invented judgments, some celebrity, or your papa, whoever], and he opens up the red carpet which leads to your own destruction, then you're responsible for it. Stop being Little Red Riding Hood and you would be led to your death by some big bad wolf with evil intents.

• 5 years later...
  • Veteran Member
On 11/28/2012 at 11:33 PM, The Exalted One said:

Shirk is pretty much analogous to infidelity. How would you feel if your wife/husband cheated on you? And considering the fact that God is ever-watchful, how would you feel like if your husband/wife cheated on you IN FRONT of you? And considering the fact that it is God who is providing and sustaining us, giving His rightful due to someone else is injustice in it's prime. Especially if you do it deliberately.

Besides, for all I know, anyone who doesn't have the same attributes and nature as God will mislead you to your own destruction. Everyone besides God have imperfections, fatal flaws. So, if you worship [and obey] someone else [whether it's your misguided desires, false doubts and self-invented judgments, some celebrity, or your papa, whoever], and he opens up the red carpet which leads to your own destruction, then you're responsible for it. Stop being Little Red Riding Hood and you would be led to your death by some big bad wolf with evil intents.

God is not a human (authubillah). We are told not to compare Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى to humans when we refer to the injustices around the world, saying he is allowing this etc.. 

So why should we compare him to how we feel when our spouse cheats on us etc.

• Veteran Member
On 11/27/2012 at 9:35 AM, Kai said:

Shirk is the absolute worst thing you can do. It is infinitely many times more worse than genocide, torture, rape....etc

The reasoning is as follows:

-Shirk is a crime against God

-Genocide, torture, rape..etc.. are crimes against humans

-God is infinitely times more superior to humans

-Therefore, Shirk is infinitely times more worse than Genocide, torture, rape..etc

@peace seeker: Why are you attributing jealousy to Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى? That is shirk itself, you know.

This is one of the best arguments I have heard.. but I am still trying to rationalise the question. 

Is shirk really a crime or an infringement of Allah’s rights?

For verily He سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى is not affected by what we think of Him.. it does not harm Him. Rather, if He were to not be present within our lives, it would only harm us.

I think a better response may be that we cannot understand His laws because we are limited beings.

But this reply merely increases the unsatiated desire for enlightenment. 

Wsalam

• Veteran Member

Salam...

Shirk is the worst sin because a person directly and intentionally degrading Allah swt "after all proofs are provided before the person".

Allah swt is not jeolous to  a person who degrades Him after all hujjahs are provided.  In the hereafter, Allah swt will put the person in hell and tell him to call others for help.  None can give the help except Allah swt.

Allah swt will not be jeolous to hell dwellers.

• Advanced Member
On 11/26/2012 at 5:23 PM, Logical Islam said:

worse than murder, than genocide ect?

many people just believe scientifically you can't proove for or against.

This idea is worse than murder and genocide.

Can anyone explain to me exactly why ? (: long links are not appreciated. Thoughtful arguments are highly appreciated.

ahsant

It is because you don’t understand the seriousness of shirk.  

Shirk is not an “act”.  It is a state of being.  The essence of all goodness is in the Oneness of God (the state of being complete, whole, and harmonious, aligned) are all the result of being in a state of Oneness (being a Muwahhid - existentially affirming Tawhid).  The opposite of tawhid is Shirk.  Shirk does the opposite.  If one is a Mushirk it means that his state of being is in dispersion, tension, conflict, diseased, and corrupt.  This is the root cause of all evils and vices.  

Many people are muwahhids in their tongue.  Very few are muwahhids in heart.  

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
On 11/27/2012 at 3:53 AM, Logical Islam said:

worse than murder, than genocide ect?

many people just believe scientifically you can't proove for or against.

This idea is worse than murder and genocide.

Can anyone explain to me exactly why ? (: long links are not appreciated. Thoughtful arguments are highly appreciated.

ahsant

Why satan did not carried out the order of Allah?
Because of sense of "I". Root cause is Ego and shirk is the after effect.
Our sense of "I" is Ego and shirk.
Is not the sense of ‘I’ natural to all beings, expressed in all
their feelings as ‘I came’, ‘I went’, ‘I did’, or ‘I was’? On
questioning what this is, we find that the body is identified with
‘I’ because movements and similar functions pertain to the body.
Can the body then be this ‘I-consciousness’? It was not there
before birth, it is composed of the five elements, it is absent
 in sleep, and it (eventually) becomes a corpse. No, it cannot be.

This sense of ‘I’, which arises in the body for the time being, is
otherwise called the Ego which is the cause of ignorance, illusion, impurity, or Shirk. The purpose of all the scriptures is this enquiry(into the Self). It is declared in them that the annihilation of
the ego-sense is Liberation and Shirk is bondage.

Sense of "I" only belongs to Allah that is why HU don't like Shirk.