Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Thesoulcries

Fasting In Muharram

Rate this topic

I've noticed that some of our Sunni brothers fast during the 9th, 10th, and 11th of Muharram. Can someone explain why? Is it out of respect or resentment? Or is it something completely irrelevant to the Shahada of Imam Hussein (as); If so, is it ok if we fast during those days as well?

Thank you.

i think its strictly prohibited in shia sect because fasts are the for the benefits of the hereafter as well as for this world. but we donot eat and drink to feel the pain of ashura(karbala), which is only to feel and realise how our imam gave sacrifices for the hereafter letting off this world.

prphet mohammad(saww) used to do the same on the 10th day of moharram which later on was taken as a fast.

i just heard that i dont know of any source about that.

wassalam.

They fast the 10th for reasons other than the shahada of Imam Hussain (as) . They usually refer to this very weak hadith where Nabi Muhammad (pbuh) takes the idea from the jews (a3uthubillah).

This link helped clarify this issue to me: http://www.al-islam.org/al-serat/fastofashura.htm

I'm a follower of Sistani and he clearly states that it is makrooh to fast Ashura.

Volume 3, Book 31, Number 222:

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:

The Prophet came to Medina and saw the Jews fasting on the day of Ashura. He asked them about that. They replied, "This is a good day, the day on which Allah rescued Bani Israel from their enemy. So, Moses fasted this day." The Prophet said, "We have more claim over Moses than you." So, the Prophet fasted on that day and ordered (the Muslims) to fast (on that day).

(http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religious-texts/hadith/bukhari/031-sbt.php)