Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Goswami

Wearing black

Rate this topic

On 9/11/2019 at 9:07 PM, ShiaMan14 said:

It wasn't meant to be brother...just my sarcastic sense of humor at the plight of azadari today where Shias have a problem with every aspect of it.

BTW, the cloth (kiswah) has been black since the time of the Abbasids.

I think the problem lies on both sides brother. I agree that some seem to have an issue with anything and everything linked to the 'aza of Imam Hussain (عليه السلام).

However, on the other hand I also see many with a blind stubborness to defend anything and everything even if it has absolutely no credible religious basis or justification. The passion to defend culture and custom seems to be stronger in some than the defence of the religion itself.

Wallahu a'lam 

8 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

I think the problem lies on both sides brother. I agree that some seem to have an issue with anything and everything linked to the 'aza of Imam Hussain (عليه السلام).

However, on the other hand I also see many with a blind stubborness to defend anything and everything even if it has absolutely no credible religious basis or justification. The passion to defend culture and custom seems to be stronger in some than the defence of the religion itself.

Wallahu a'lam 

That's a fair statement and I agree with you. 

Suffice to say all azadari is rituals and customs that have become tradition over the centuries and as long as there is no haram being done, who are we to question it.

On 9/15/2019 at 2:37 AM, ShiaMan14 said:

don’t mourn Hussain (عليه السلام) for reward but because he deserves to be mourned. 

Salam Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) deserves mourning but it must be for fighting with tyrany of Yazid's of our time , your idea is a passive mourning but we must be active mourners to help Imam Mahdi (aj) that our black clothes is a banner for supporting Imam Mahdi (aj)

On 9/14/2019 at 6:07 PM, ShiaMan14 said:

don’t mourn Hussain (عليه السلام) for reward but because he deserves to be mourned.

True. I don't care about reward either. But I do care that religion is not corrupted by "scholars" who make acts as mustahab without presence of hadith. We can't mourn Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام)  through disobedient acts. Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) gave up his life for a higher goal - to preserve religion and to ensure it is not corrupted. 

13 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) deserves mourning but it must be for fighting with tyrany of Yazid's of our time , your idea is a passive mourning but we must be active mourners to help Imam Mahdi (aj) that our black clothes is a banner for supporting Imam Mahdi (aj)

My idea is neither passive nor active. It's just a thought that we need to focus on mourning rather than nitpick. 

Shouldn't supporting Imam Mehdi (aj) be using the color green - color of Bani Hashim?

2 hours ago, shuaybi said:

True. I don't care about reward either. But I do care that religion is not corrupted by "scholars" who make acts as mustahab without presence of hadith. We can't mourn Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام)  through disobedient acts. Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) gave up his life for a higher goal - to preserve religion and to ensure it is not corrupted. 

That's shaky ground brother.

I am a firm believer that only 2 things have ensured the survival of the Shia - our scholars and our azadari with guidance of Imam Mehdi (aj) of course.

I don't believe our scholars profit from Shias wearing black so not sure how "corruption" applies here.

On 9/14/2019 at 4:23 PM, Guest Pschological warfare said:

I did read your website that you promote/ or affiliated with. At first the arguments seemed kind of valid, until I recalled that you have missed point ii) and iii) below. In this case one is subjugating the public. Only if they do not know (ii), if you know (I) you do not need to follow. As far as people understanding themselves, and having different interpretations and/or abstaining in light of conflicting hadith, well option (iii) precaution is there. 

So, if you can't understand this basic fact, and have a website dedicated to counter it. I think this issue of black clothes will never be resolved with your thought process. You will continue repeating, what has been made clear. just so people are misdirected. 

---------------------------

Following a Mujtahid

1. It is necessary for a Muslim to believe in the fundamentals of faith on the basis of proof and he cannot follow anyone in this respect I.e. he cannot accept he word of another with regard to the fundamentals without demanding proof. However, in order to act on Islamic code (except in those matters which are considered by all to be indisputable e.g. the obligatory nature of the five daily prayers, fasting during the holy month of Ramadan etc.) a person must adopt one of the following methods:

I) The man concerned should be a Mujtahid (jurist)1 himself and should know the Articles of Acts on the basis of Ijtihad2 and reason (I.e. he should be a man of such high learning and scholarship that he can solve problems from his study of the Qur’an and Hadith).

ii) If he is not a jurist himself, he should follow a jurist I.e. he should act according to the judgment (fatwa) of the jurist without demanding proof.

iii) If he is neither a jurist nor a follower (muqallid) he should act after taking such precaution that he should become sure of his having performed his religious duty. For example, if some jurists consider an act to be unlawful and some others say that it is not unlawful, he should not perform that act and in case some jurists consider an act to be obligatory (wajib) and others consider it to be recommended (mustahab) he should perform it. Hence it is obligatory for those persons who are not jurists and cannot also take precautionary measures (ihtiyat) to follow a jurist.3

https://www.al-Islam.org/Islamic-laws-ayatullah-abul-qasim-al-khui/taqlid

Is there any hadith which lists these three options? No - the above 3 rules have been created by the very same mujtahids who want to impose their taqleed on you. These are self-serving rules.

For me the issue of black clothes is resolved. I am convinced that a person will be much safer on the day of judgement because there doesn't exist a single hadith which  commands or requests the Shias to wear black clothes (the only exception being the turban, cloak and socks). By following scholars (instead of hadith) people will continue to be misguided because they are being conditioned to put their full trust in them (I.e. the scholars) and not demand from them proof from hadith.

I don't believe our scholars profit from Shias wearing black so not sure how "corruption" applies here.

I wouldn't use the word corruption and I don't agree with everything the brother says, however do think that there is a tendency to turn a blind eye or even to give roundabout justifications for certain trends that have become deep rooted in Shi'I communities, possibly originating from Safavid times, which don't necessarily have religious justifications or in some case even contradict our teachings.

Is there any hadith which lists these three options? No - the above 3 rules have been created by the very same mujtahids who want to impose their taqleed on you. These are self-serving rules.

I don't think they want to impose it. Taqleed is a rational concept and it benefits the muqallid rather than the mujtahid. I agree that some people misrepresent it with heavy emphasis on 'rules and regulations' of taqleed (which seem to me to be rational guidelines rather than hard and fast rules), however overall it's common sense. 

Wallahu a'lam 

56 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

I wouldn't use the word corruption and I don't agree with everything the brother says, however do think that there is a tendency to turn a blind eye or even to give roundabout justifications for certain trends that have become deep rooted in Shi'I communities, possibly originating from Safavid times, which don't necessarily have religious justifications or in some case even contradict our teachings.

You have just defined corruption. :-)

1 hour ago, Mahdavist said:

I don't think they want to impose it. Taqleed is a rational concept and it benefits the muqallid rather than the mujtahid. I agree that some people misrepresent it with heavy emphasis on 'rules and regulations' of taqleed (which seem to me to be rational guidelines rather than hard and fast rules), however overall it's common sense. 

If this was all "common sense" every mujtahid wouldn't have to publish these rules in their risalahs (tawdhi ul masaeel).

Edited by shuaybi

6 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

That's shaky ground brother.

It is not shaky ground brother. Reading and acting on the hadith makes for a very strong foundation in religion. Imam Jafar Sadiq (عليه السلام) said:

الامام الصادق (عليه السّلام): من دخل فى هذا الدّين بارّجال أخرجهُ منهُ الرّجال كما أدخلوهُ فيهِ، ومن دخل فيه بالكتاب و السُّنّة زالت الجبال قبل أن يزول
The one who enters this religion through men will exit it through men just as they caused him to enter it. And whoever enters this religion through the Book and the Sunnah, mountains will move before he does (in his faith).
[Bihar al Anwar, v2, p105, #67]

Every act in religion must be based on the Sunnah - the hadith.

6 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

I am a firm believer that only 2 things have ensured the survival of the Shia - our scholars and our azadari with guidance of Imam Mehdi (aj) of course.

Do you know of any hadith where our Imams (عليه السلام) said that the deen will survive through the acts of azadari of the Shias? If there are I would like to know them.

7 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

I don't believe our scholars profit from Shias wearing black so not sure how "corruption" applies here.

Whether they profit or not - we are not allowed to follow them unless they can prove their statements from hadith.

On 11/20/2012 at 11:15 AM, Logical Islam said:

so if an atheists ask my why in my religion it is not adviseable to wear black while praying

what on Earth do I tell him apart from

it isn't because...it isn't ?

Exactly. Many things in the religion are this way. Why are there 5 prayers instead of one, because it is, and we as Muslims have no right to demand logical justification, as Islam means Submission and the Muslim is the one who submits.

1 hour ago, shuaybi said:

It is not shaky ground brother. Reading and acting on the hadith makes for a very strong foundation in religion. Imam Jafar Sadiq (عليه السلام) said:

الامام الصادق (عليه السّلام): من دخل فى هذا الدّين بارّجال أخرجهُ منهُ الرّجال كما أدخلوهُ فيهِ، ومن دخل فيه بالكتاب و السُّنّة زالت الجبال قبل أن يزول
The one who enters this religion through men will exit it through men just as they caused him to enter it. And whoever enters this religion through the Book and the Sunnah, mountains will move before he does (in his faith).
[Bihar al Anwar, v2, p105, #67]

Okay great. Got it!  But now I have a problem. ALL Shias hadith books including kitab al arba have been compiled by scholars. What if the initial compilers left out all hadith about wearing black clothes because they were corrupt?

Do you know of any hadith where our Imams (عليه السلام) said that the deen will survive through the acts of azadari of the Shias? If there are I would like to know them.

You may have misread. I wrote Shias survive, not deen will survive.

Whether they profit or not - we are not allowed to follow them unless they can prove their statements from hadith.

Just to be clear, scholars are corrupt because they don’t provide proof?

8 hours ago, shuaybi said:

For me the issue of black clothes is resolved. I am convinced that a person will be much safer on the day of judgement because there doesn't exist a single hadith which  commands or requests the Shias to wear black clothes (the only exception being the turban, cloak and socks). By following scholars (instead of hadith) people will continue to be misguided because they are being conditioned to put their full trust in them (I.e. the scholars) and not demand from them proof from hadith.

So let's clarify - men wearing black is the problem, not women wearing black, correct?

7 hours ago, shuaybi said:

You have just defined corruption. :-)

That's your definition not mine. I think we all have a collective responsibility to work together as a community. Communities who accepted the truth even when it didn't suit them provided a much better environment for tabligh and reform whereas those who were hostile to anything and everything that didn't suit their views made it virtually impossible for anyone to bring change. 

Blaming the scholars alone for their passiveness or reluctance in certain issues only tells half the story. 

The good thing is that there is more awareness now and communities are already in the process of rectification. It's a step by step process rather than an overnight one and everyone has to play their part in it.

Wallahu a'lam 

Okay great. Got it!  But now I have a problem. ALL Shias hadith books including kitab al arba have been compiled by scholars. What if the initial compilers left out all hadith about wearing black clothes because they were corrupt?

I think both of you are stuck on the word 'corrupt/corruption' and that's inhibiting your discussion. 

The point of the brother is, and it is a valid one, that our religious acts and beliefs need a proper basis/foundation which are the Qur'an and the Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام). 

What you find today is that some practices crept in much later into shi'I communities without any proper basis. The 'corruption' he refers to is the reluctance of some (not all) modern day scholars to address these issues possibly due to social pressure (which our communities should also be blamed for in my humble opinion). Furthermore some have gone one step further and tried to create an argument/justification that somehow retroactively accepts something which never came from the religion in the first place.

Examples of this would be labelling cultural rituals as 'sha'aair Allah' (signs of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)) , permitting additions to the adhan 'as long as the intention is that it isn't part of the adhan' and permitting direct istigatha to other than Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) 'as long as we know that the ma'soom we are asking from isn't really giving us anything independently of Allah ((سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى))'.

Where they could have simply said that none of these acts have religious basis, social pressure (and the fact that other sects were already attacking the shi'a on these points) seems to have pushed them into a defensive mode of creating any argument that may in the most roundabout way excuse these things away rather than to admit that the Shia masses had picked up some external practices (outside of the Qur'an and Ahlul Bayt) and should now revert to authentic shi'ism.

Wallahu a'lam 

12 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

My idea is neither passive nor active. It's just a thought that we need to focus on mourning rather than nitpick. 

Shouldn't supporting Imam Mehdi (aj) be using the color green - color of Bani Hashim?

Salam in every narration about Imam Mahdi (aj) majority of narration about him are referring to black banners & banner of Prophet Muhammad (pbu) that used in battle of Badr will rise again that all narrations said it was black but before reappearance  of Imam Mahdi (aj) many fake groups will use black banners like as ISIS & Daesh that the most near black banner to Imam Mahdi (aj) is black banner of mourning for Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) that can be from cloth to any other flag .

Guest Pschological Warfare
17 hours ago, shuaybi said:

the above 3 rules have been created by the very same mujtahids who want to impose their taqleed on you. These are self-serving rules.

Kindly, explain your rational

1) How is anything imposed on me.

2) How are these three self-serving rules.

10 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Okay great. Got it!  But now I have a problem. ALL Shias hadith books including kitab al arba have been compiled by scholars. What if the initial compilers left out all hadith about wearing black clothes because they were corrupt?

I wouldn't worry about that. Such thinking would open the most dangerous doors - any bid'at can now be easily introduced into religion on the excuse that maybe the hadith which recommend it are lost. It is Allah's responsibility to make sure that the complete religion reaches us. Hadith al thaqalayn guarantees it.

You may have misread. I wrote Shias survive, not deen will survive.

It means the same thing to me. I can rephrase the question then: Is there any hadith that says that Shias will survive directly as a result of the acts of their azadari? In fact religion can be destroyed if f bid'ah is introduced in the name of azadari. Refer to the article: https://ahlulbaytmission.org/2019/08/29/dangers-of-bidah/

امام على عليه السلام : ما هَدمَ الدِّينَ مثلُ البِدع
Imam Ali (عليه السلام) said: Nothing destroys religion like the innovations. [Bihar al-Anwar, v. 78, p. 92, no. 98]

رسولُ الله صلى الله عليه وآله : من أتى ذا بدْعةٍ فعطَّمهُ فإنَّما يَسْعى في هَدْمِ الإسلام
Rasool Allah (s) said: If one comes across an innovation and appreciates it (sides with it), he has assisted in the demolition of Al Islam.

[Al Kafi V 1 – The Book Of Intellect and Ignorance CH 19 H 3]

Just to be clear, scholars are corrupt because they don’t provide proof?

There is no way to find out if a scholar is corrupt or not if you don't demand proof from him from hadith.

So let's clarify - men wearing black is the problem, not women wearing black, correct?

There are no hadith which encourage either men or women to wear black as a sign of mourning. However, we are concerned more with the inner dress (libaas) than the outer coverings like cloak, blanket, chador, turban etc. As there are hadith which allow black cloaks and turbans.

9 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

What you find today is that some practices crept in much later into shi'I communities without any proper basis. The 'corruption' he refers to is the reluctance of some (not all) modern day scholars to address these issues possibly due to social pressure (which our communities should also be blamed for in my humble opinion). Furthermore some have gone one step further and tried to create an argument/justification that somehow retroactively accepts something which never came from the religion in the first place.

Examples of this would be labelling cultural rituals as 'sha'aair Allah' (signs of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)) , permitting additions to the adhan 'as long as the intention is that it isn't part of the adhan' and permitting direct istigatha to other than Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) 'as long as we know that the ma'soom we are asking from isn't really giving us anything independently of Allah ((سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى))'.

Where they could have simply said that none of these acts have religious basis, social pressure (and the fact that other sects were already attacking the shi'a on these points) seems to have pushed them into a defensive mode of creating any argument that may in the most roundabout way excuse these things away rather than to admit that the Shia masses had picked up some external practices (outside of the Qur'an and Ahlul Bayt) and should now revert to authentic shi'ism.

Thank you. You have provided the perfect definitions of bid'ah. See the article: https://ahlulbaytmission.org/2019/08/22/definition-and-scope-of-bidah/

It is not allowed for a scholar to show any reluctance or give into social pressure in the face of bid'ah:

رسولُ الله صلى الله عليه وآله : إذا ظهَرتِ البِدعُ في اُمّتي فلْيُظهِرِ العالِمُ علمَهُ ، فمَن لَم يَفعلْ فعَلَيهِ لَعنةُ اللّهِ
Rasool Allah (s) said: When the innovations appear in my community (ummah), the scholar must manifest his knowledge (I.e. speak against them). So the one who does not do so, upon him be the curse of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

[Al Kafi V 1 – The Book Of Intellect and Ignorance CH 19 H 2]

Edited by shuaybi

On 9/16/2019 at 6:00 AM, ShiaMan14 said:

That's a fair statement and I agree with you. 

Suffice to say all azadari is rituals and customs that have become tradition over the centuries and as long as there is no haram being done, who are we to question it.

I think there is an important question that should always be asked and that is: is the objective being reached? 

The rituals and customs were only meant to be a vehicle for different societies and cultures, rather than the core of the 'aza itself. 

Somewhere along the line some of us may have forgotten this, perhaps due to nostalgia or sentimentalism. The means have sometimes become the ends. 

There is another important point you bring up about the boundaries of haram and halal. This is indeed essential and can only be maintained if we constantly assess what we are doing, why we are doing it and whether it fits within the framework of Islam. 

In societies where these questions were not asked, religious guidelines have unfortunately been breached. You probably know enough examples, but if you still want some I am happy to discuss further via pm.

Wallahu a'lam 

3 hours ago, Guest Pschological Warfare said:

Kindly, explain your rational

1) How is anything imposed on me.

2) How are these three self-serving rules.

What I meant is that this system only allows for 3 choices and each choice revolves around the mujtahid:

I) Become a mujtahid.

ii) Do taqleed of a mujtahid

iii) Do a sort of collective taqleed of all the mujtahids through exercising precaution by examining all their rulings on a given issue.

That they are self-serving is self explanatory as these rules have been formulated by the mujtahids themselves.

On 9/17/2019 at 8:49 AM, shuaybi said:

I wouldn't worry about that. Such thinking would open the most dangerous doors - any bid'at can now be easily introduced into religion on the excuse that maybe the hadith which recommend it are lost. It is Allah's responsibility to make sure that the complete religion reaches us. Hadith al thaqalayn guarantees it..

Why take anything from a corrupt scholar? Isn't that an equally dangerous door? Let's take Tusi for example. Should I accept him when he provides a narration but reject him otherwise because he is corrupt?

Call me cynical but if someone is a known liar, then I reject everything from him.

It means the same thing to me. I can rephrase the question then: Is there any hadith that says that Shias will survive directly as a result of the acts of their azadari? In fact religion can be destroyed if f bid'ah is introduced in the name of azadari. Refer to the article: https://ahlulbaytmission.org/2019/08/29/dangers-of-bidah/

امام على عليه السلام : ما هَدمَ الدِّينَ مثلُ البِدع
Imam Ali (عليه السلام) said: Nothing destroys religion like the innovations. [Bihar al-Anwar, v. 78, p. 92, no. 98]

رسولُ الله صلى الله عليه وآله : من أتى ذا بدْعةٍ فعطَّمهُ فإنَّما يَسْعى في هَدْمِ الإسلام
Rasool Allah (s) said: If one comes across an innovation and appreciates it (sides with it), he has assisted in the demolition of Al Islam..

I accept your statement AS FACT that religion can be destroyed if bidah is introduced in the name of azadari.

Shiaism today is stronger than it has ever been in the history if Islam. If introducing bidah destroys religion, then deductive reasoning leads to the FACT THAT SHIAISM IS AS STRONG AS IT IS TODAY BECAUSE THERE HAS BEEN NO INTRODUCTION OF BIDAH IN AZADARI.

It would or could lead to another logical conclusion that anyone wanting to reduce azadari is in fact trying to weaken the religion.

There is no way to find out if a scholar is corrupt or not if you don't demand proof from him from hadith.

Have Sistani or Khamenei or any 'scholar's denied a request for proof? It sounds like all scholars are corrupt unless they can prove their innocence

There are no hadith which encourage either men or women to wear black as a sign of mourning. However, we are concerned more with the inner dress (libaas) than the outer coverings like cloak, blanket, chador, turban etc. As there are hadith which allow black cloaks and turbans.

I am sure I read somewhere that the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) asked the women if Madinah to wear black to mourn for Hz Hamza and that Imam Sajjad (عليه السلام) also asked women to wear black to mourn Imam Hussain (عليه السلام). Did I mis-read?

Based on my limited knowledge, I think women are allowed to wear anything black and men can wear black turbans, cloaks and shoes. Agreed?

So then the only discussion is wearing a full black outfit. I suppose black top with colored bottoms or vice versa would be acceptable then since I wouldn't be wearing a full black outfit. What about black with pinstripes or polka dots?

On 9/17/2019 at 11:37 AM, shuaybi said:

What I meant is that this system only allows for 3 choices and each choice revolves around the mujtahid:

I) Become a mujtahid.

ii) Do taqleed of a mujtahid

iii) Do a sort of collective taqleed of all the mujtahids through exercising precaution by examining all their rulings on a given issue.

That they are self-serving is self explanatory as these rules have been formulated by the mujtahids themselves.

Replace the word Mujtahid( Learned Person/Scholar/Jurist) with any SME(Subject matter Expert) I.e Lawyer, Physician, etc...to get the real understanding of the underlying issue here. You will see that its very logical, rational process and not self-serving. 

As a matter of fact, the advocate of the alternative are really self-serving. As they exclude any Expert opinion in the matter of Fiqh( Jurisprudence), and allow layman opinion in Fiqh(Jurisprudence) - multiple (hundreds or thousand of personal opinions) as we all have different level of intellect, and knowledge. This is a recipe for chaos and self serving to the people who advocate chaos- the decentralization which only leads to many different divergent views and its not in the interest of a Nation and root of disunity. 

Even the Secular System, of Law does not allow layman to interpret a Secular Country's Constitution based on their layman untrained personal opinion or bias. Common sense dictates Expert opinion to avoid decentralization and chaos. Specially in matters requiring Subject Matter Experts. Either become a SME, or follow the Most Acknowledged SME or take advice from a Group of SME's. (IN matters requiring specialized Education and complete Knowledge and ability to comprehend the Subject matter I.e Law)

Examples of this would be labelling cultural rituals as 'sha'aair Allah' (signs of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)) ,

This is a very general and misleading statement. Majlis, Noha/lathmiyah, Matam, and Food distributed to the Azadar, Procession, Alam are part of the Aza and people from different part of the world commemorate Aza based on their culture and societies as long as there is no clear violation of Islamic law, like non mahran man and women can't to matam in a confined/closed area that would violate Islamic law. 

Keep in mind, Aza is commemorated by Non Shia/Non Muslims so you can't use the same mirror, you use for Salat (where only Muslims are involved) to see this Open commemoration, which transcends time, era, race, religion, color, ethnic, culture boundaries. This important concept is often missing in most conversations. 

permitting additions to the adhan 'as long as the intention is that it isn't part of the adhan' and permitting direct istigatha to other than Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) 'as long as we know that the ma'soom we are asking from isn't really giving us anything independently of Allah ((سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى))'.

Even a five year old Shia child is aware of this fact. So, this is very, naive to imply, it gives an impression that "They" do not know this and need to be informed. I would not make a mistake to underestimate the knowledge and Marfat of lay Shia. And certainly not brand it ,  broadcast it as a problem, which is perceived issue by those who find it necessary to judge intentions. 

Wearing black is a means of remembering the Ahlul-Bayt and honoring them which is clearly encouraged by Islam. In this regard, they have said: “رحم الله من احيا امرنا[8] “May Allah have mercy on the those who uphold our cause.”

[8] Wasaa’il al-Shi’ah, vol. 12, pg. 20.

C: Wearing black for mourning not makruh: Wearing black is not makruh when worn to participate in gatherings of mourning for the Ahlul-Bayt. It has been narrated from Imam Sajjad’s son that: “When my grandfather, Imam Hussein, was martyred, the women of Bani Hashem would wear black in their mourning gatherings and would continue wearing black in cold and hot weather.”.[7]

Even when normal people pass away, it is very common amongst religious and even non-religious people to wear black.

[7] Al-Bahraani, Al-Hadaa’iq al-Naadhirah fi Ahkaam al-Itrah al-Taahirah, vol. 7, pg. 118.

Without doubt, when all people, young and old, men and women wear black during the months of Muharram and Safar it reminds everyone of the difficulties and calamities that befell Imam Hussein. The truth of the matter is that Islam has been protected and revived by these two months.

Historians say that after the incident of Karbala, the first group to wear black were the women of the Prophet’s family who did so for a complete year. They mourned to the extent that Imam Sajjad would provide them with food. Throughout history, wearing black in these gatherings has been customary amongst the Shias and the lovers of the Ahlul-Bayt.

Great scholars that would wear black for this purpose would deeply respect and protect their black clothing and would will that the clothing be buried with them as a means of Tabarruk.[9]

Therefore, not only wearing black in these gatherings and especially in Muharram and Safar is not makruh, but rather has great reward, because it is a means of showing sympathy and love for the Ahlul-Bayt. Taking what was said into consideration, making general claims that wearing black is makruh in Islam, is clearly wrong and misguiding.[10] [11]

[9] See: The virtues of wearing black during the days of mourning for Imam Husayn (عليه السلام).

[10] See: Wearing black during the days of mourning for the Ahlul-Bayt (عليه السلام).

[11] Index: Black clothing and its ruling, Question 2018 (site: 2060).

https://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa2415

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

Jinns wore black when Umar died

In the prominent book of Ahl’ul Sunnah, Riyadh al Nadhira Volume 1 page 198, we read:

وعن المطلب بن زياد قال: رثت الجن عمر فكان فيما قالوا:
ستبكيك نساء الجن … تبكين منتحبات
وتخمشن وجوهاً … كالدنانير النقيات
ويلبس ثياب السود … بعد القصيبات

Al-Mutalib bin Zyad says that upon the death of Umar the Jinns recited Marsiyah: While mourning your death the ladies of the Jinns are beating their faces, which resemble Dinars in beauty, and they are wearing black attires instead of silken ones.”

Comment

Look at the tales their scholars cook up when one of their own dies! If the black attire belongs to the inhabitants of hell, then why did the Jinns have to wear black upon the death of Umar? And if the black attire belongs to the Pharaoh, then upon the death of Umar why did the Djinns suddenly become followers of Pharaoh?

To the lovers of Justice! All the Nasibi religious organisations are silent when it comes to Umar because he is one of their own. But whenever the mourning for Imam Husayn (عليه السلام) is discussed, these very organisations seem to be extremely perturbed by the black attire! This is nothing but enmity to the Ahl’ul Bayt (عليه السلام)!

http://www.shiapen.com/comprehensive/azadari-mourning-for-Imam-hussain/wearing-black-attire.html