Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Unattracted To Muharram

Rate this topic

kiptanui

• Advanced Member

i got a problem. i am not in the mood for all the happenings this muharram. I have always disliked some rituals but this year its worse. If you are going through a hard time the last thing u want is all this depressing cultural stuff. I am not against going to the majlis itself just how things are done. Its too intense and wild. I want to commemorate it but the gathering feels off putting. What to do?

Am I the only one?

• Veteran Member

i got a problem. i am not in the mood for all the happenings this muharram. I have always disliked some rituals but this year its worse. If you are going through a hard time the last thing u want is all this depressing cultural stuff. I am not against going to the majlis itself just how things are done. Its too intense and wild. I want to commemorate it but the gathering feels off putting. What to do?

Am I the only one?

observe the day of Ashura at least, keep off food till noon, dont listen to music or show any cheerfulness , avoid entertainment , recite zyarat ashura ....keep Hussain in heart imagining him going out to let this religio reach you today sacrificing himself and his whole family

Zyarat Ashura is said to cure the non crying eyes, it is reported in hadith that eyes that dont cry is bad

i do feel sad, just like i feel sad for any human atrocity i.e jews and nazis. but i just can't cry on the spot, as soon as the lights turn of. it seems unspontaneous and not genuine to my ownself - to others it may be- just i show sadness in my own way.

• Veteran Member

Is your problem greater than Imam Hussein (as) ? at least you should listen to Majlis in Muharram, because Muharram is the time when Imam Hussein (as) "sacrificed" his family…… our problems are insignificant compare to brutality that Imam Hussein (as) had to face! bare that in your mind always.

Edited by power

• Advanced Member

its true that we dont like to cry and sometimes its pretending but the truth for me is that i m so small that i cannot even understand that all the philosophy, reasoning, logic, contentment, beautiful life, etc is the dirt of the shoes of imam hussain(as).

if on one side i feel that crying in public, and cultural rituals arent correct then on other side i must focus that the truth is about feeling humanity inside ourselves is also not correct.

we pretend that we are humans and that we cannot bear any kind of atrocity on anyone.

• Veteran Member

Allah (swt) has made it compulsory to LOVE the Ahl bayht (as) it is also compulsory to grieve for Ahl bayht (as) never forget this!! if you cannot shed 1 tear drop for Imam Hussein and his family (as) your need to re-valuate you belief

Edited by power

• Veteran Member

Why don't you attend the majalis, and then leave straight away after the lectures?

Try reading the chapter on the Imam (a) in kitab al-irshad, and Abu Mikhnaf's Kitab Maqtal al-Husayn.

Edited by Ali_Hussain

• Advanced Member

(salam)

From my own experience as a revert: for years I never cried during this time of the year. I wondered what was wrong with me. I knew I believed that the events in Karbala happened and that they were horrific. I knew that the path of the Shia was the right path. Then one year, I attended a majlis where the speaker spoke English as fluently as a native speaker and when he described the events, I started to cry. Later I realized, that it was not my belief, but that no one had spoken to me from my vantage point. I believe that we all have a culture, whether American or Iranian or Pakistani or whatever, and even when we try to be solely Islamic and not cultural, we fail, because sometimes we don't even see where our culture has trapped us.

The suggestion above of leaving after the lecture might work or perhaps you could find a lecture online to listen to by yourself. Then you can concentrate solely on the talk and not be concerned about crying in front of others or being distracted by anything else that might be going on. If you don't want to listen to too much depressing talk because you are having difficulties in your own life, then perhaps you could try approaching the majlis by seeing what you can learn from Imam Hussain's (as) life to give you courage to face your own issues.

I wish you the best.

(wasalam)

Salam OP:

Before going to any gathering , salat-ul-juma, hajj, or the gathering to remember Imam Hussain, first take out all hatred, negativity, and disdain from your heart.

We all are humans, and like it or not, we all abide by certain cultural things, which are made up over the years by living together, reading same, eating same, wearing same, talking same, and so on..

Disliking and criticizing the culture representation of Islam is also one part of your own ego which you are doing it for your self, and not for AllahÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì. Fill your heart for love and compassion, kick out hatred and negativity, if you think you are right and others are wrong, then pity them, not hate them, feel bad that their understanding of Hussain (as) is still below where it should be, but still join them, be with them.

If your intention is to Islah (correction of them), you surely can not do it by singling yourself out. You have to be the part of crowd to fix the crowd.

Our Aimah (as), out of their wisdom bestowed on them through the teaching of Prophet (pbuh) always emphasized coming together for all events Islamic, hence them going to and inviting crowds of people to their homes while remembering Imam Hussain (as).

Another thing, in Islam community is extremely important (I can't tell you enough how much emphasis it has in islamic teachings) that it becomes wajib in certain conditions to abandon your place of living and migrate to where your Muslim community is living. Abandoning your community, in certain cases, amount to a great sin, not only a small mistake.

Edited by Waiting for HIM

we cry because it was a sacrifice.

people i know in school. my friends may be goin to burn in an eternal fire worse than what anyone has imagined, having boiling iron or pus or whatever on them. I may be too.

Crying is a good thing though, great method of showing emotion. i just can't do it guys.

when i know my own friends from school may go to hell for not being convinced about islam or whatever. or i may too

just can't.

i used to though

• Veteran Member

Aslamalaykum,

I would encourage you to participate in gatherings, there are numerous benefits when one attends and it is much better than observing it alone. There are certain things done in my community which are dislike but it will never stop me attending a majlis because if you only knew of the benefits/reward and the revolution it will bring to your soul you will consider a place of refuge from satanic forces.

Allah swt encourages gatherings in all aspects of life i.e you can pray alone but in congregation more rewards, jum'aa salaat, hajj etc

When Allah asks to rise up for his sake he begins with two not one 34:46

Say (unto them, O Muhammad): I exhort you unto one thing only: that ye awake, for Allah's sake, by twos and singly, and then reflect: There is no madness in your comrade. He is naught else than a warner unto you in face of a terrific doom.

If you stop attending these gathering than imagine what would be the state of your kids in the future.

May Allah swt save us all from self destruction

a gathering in which the people mentions ahlulbyt will be surrounded by angels that ask for forgivness for the attendants till they separate , the mercy will cover all the attendants ...

gatherings also are a physical expression of sorrow and love, our gatherings are like the gathering for some funeral of some beloved except there are no one to give our condolence to

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Brother, you have to understand that the expression of your love towards Imam Hussain (as) should come from the heart. Don't do matam or try to cry because other people are. You do matam or weep because it comes from the heart. When you hear the masaib being recited in the majalis just try to sink the words deep into your right and imagine yourself going through the very atrocities the Imam (as) went through.

Remember, the Prophet Muhammad (saww) said: "Surely, there exists in the hearts of the mu'mineen, with respect to the martyrdom of Hussain (as), a heat that never subsides."

Edited by Labbayk

• Advanced Member

gosh the mourning and the commemoration is not the problem its the way its done!

when the speaker brings in funny stuff and confusion

when he makes ahlulbayt look like ordinary people and superhuman all at once

when the malangish/shirazi types hijack the event and spoil it

its like a carnival - not a majlis

when you are going through a depressing phase and they depress you more.

i need to find another centre with a more rational non shirazi speaker

u make it sound like i dont cry or care. i cry a lot for it but the carnival and the speaker is making me depressed.

• Advanced Member

Why don't you attend the majalis, and then leave straight away after the lectures?

Try reading the chapter on the Imam (a) in kitab al-irshad, and Abu Mikhnaf's Kitab Maqtal al-Husayn.

Has Kitab al-Irshad been translated into English? Or at least that section/chapter? If so, how would I go about finding it?

nope me too. i prefer to show sadness in my own way , i find it hard to cry in public, ect.

no shyness for imam husain a.s be what you are don't think that people are looking at you but the lady zehra s.a is looking you how do you mourn on her son.

what about the individuals who have never hearf of Imam Hussain a.s. ? Will she intercede for them?

geniune question

why will she?

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Maybe you can commemorate it in your own way too. Perhaps write about it, or take some of the teachings from it to help this world. For example, with your time and effort in Muharram, perhaps you could focus it on helping other oppressed people in the world. Helping a cause, getting people to know about a cause, about injustices etc. You could teach others about the lessons of Imam Hussain (as). In Ramadhan we think of feeding people, maybe in Muharram we could be like big brothers and sisters, help the youth who are troubled, bullied etc. The last thought was random, but you probably get the gist of it.

If you do decide to go to a masjid, you could always ignore what ever you think is too wild or intense, block it out, and just think about why you're there, and you're desire to show respect for imam Hussain (as).

My 2 cents.

ws

• Veteran Member

Has Kitab al-Irshad been translated into English? Or at least that section/chapter? If so, how would I go about finding it?

Yes it has, I don't think it is online though, or if it is, it is only the chapter about Imam Ali Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã, but you can buy it from most islamic book shops

• Veteran Member

Which bookstores would u recommended lol? :P

Well, obvioulsy, with you being in australia, the cost of sending might be a little high, given that the book is a fair size bind.

But I guess england sent their convicts to australia for so many years, I'm sure books can also be sent ;)

http://www.hujjatboo...b_category=true

amazon maybe:

http://www.amazon.co...-keywords=kitab al irshad

Edited by Ali_Hussain

• Advanced Member

Well, obvioulsy, with you being in australia, the cost of sending might be a little high, given that the book is a fair size bind.

But I guess england sent their convicts to australia for so many years, I'm sure books can also be sent ;)

http://www.hujjatboo...b_category=true

amazon maybe:

http://www.amazon.co...-keywords=kitab al irshad

Hahah yeh price of shipping was cheaper back then :P

Thanks Bro, ill check out those sites ;)

Is it worth purchasing? The whole book?