Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
race

How To Increase Ones Intelligence?

Rate this topic

As-salaam mulaikum everyone. i just want everyones view on how can one increase ones intelligence. Does it happen through knowledge for example?

read QURAAN with translation and understanding and also compare it with real world....

Edited by Quranist

Use your brains as much as you can. Think about challenging issues. Play chess. Try to solve difficult puzzles. Try to find more than 1 solution for the problems.

Thank you sister for your advice. It helps but according to Islam, playing chess is haraam. However, I will try to solve puzzles or other similar challenges. Thanks again.

I think true intelligence is what comes out of a proper approach to intellectual and existential struggle. It isn't the same thing as being "smart." According to Sunni narrations, Muawiya was a smart man who sometimes acted as the prophet's (saws) secretary. But I would hardly call him intelligent.

A recent study was done comparing how western and eastern moms talk to their children about academic success. Western moms talked about academic success being the result of being smart, eastern moms emphasized the hard work and the struggle that went into the learning process. Eastern classrooms tend also to not put a stigma on the struggle for mastery that all students at some point encounter. I agree with the eastern view. My personal opinion is that the embracing of this struggle to learn and the humility and character that comes with it is what produces intelligence. I believe that is one of the messages of Surat 'Alaq.

Some people are blessed with a natural intelligence ie can learn and apply concepts with ease, logic and memory help enhance intellegence as do personal experiences, to enhance intelligence push yourself to read as many topics as possible ie basic history, geography , economics , politics, languages, theology etc etc not necessarily in depth even if you find them boring, puzzles, keep up with current affairs, contemplate, exercise and eat well ie brain foods, always remembr your niyat for learning +gaining knowledge to come closer to Allah swt should be the intention and not to boost your ego so you can impress people at dinner parties

I think true intelligence is what comes out of a proper approach to intellectual and existential struggle. It isn't the same thing as being "smart." According to Sunni narrations, Muawiya was a smart man who sometimes acted as the prophet's (saws) secretary. But I would hardly call him intelligent.

A recent study was done comparing how western and eastern moms talk to their children about academic success. Western moms talked about academic success being the result of being smart, eastern moms emphasized the hard work and the struggle that went into the learning process. Eastern classrooms tend also to not put a stigma on the struggle for mastery that all students at some point encounter. I agree with the eastern view. My personal opinion is that the embracing of this struggle to learn and the humility and character that comes with it is what produces intelligence. I believe that is one of the messages of Surat 'Alaq.

Thanks for your reply. I will ponder over what you said and also ask one of the scholars. Maybe he can provide me with some hadiths.

playing chess makes us intelligent? :o

yazeed was too much found of chess, but I think he was dumbest guy in whole history of humanity.....

I am not sure if he had a high or low IQ. Being evil doesn't mean having a low IQ. In fact, highly intelligent people can be very dangerous or very useful.

Anyway, playing chess makes you think continuously and carefully, to increase your power of concentration and try to find more than one solution for each dilemma.

Alcoholic drinks have destructive effects on the brain and consequently (if used frequently), on intelligence.

Thank you sister for your advice. It helps but according to Islam, playing chess is haraam. However, I will try to solve puzzles or other similar challenges. Thanks again.

According to most scholars, who are currently alive, playing chess is not haram if it is not played as a gamble or considered so by the society.

Edited by shadow_of_light

1. Always keep your brain occupied. eg. Chess (NOT Haram according to my Marja so shut up please everyone else)

2. READ BOOKS!!!!!!

3. Keep in the company of intelligent people, watch documentaries on TV, read scientific books and magazines, avoid all the mass culture rubbish.

According to most scholars, who are currently alive, playing chess is not haram if it is not played as a gamble or considered so by the society.

I was unaware of that

Recite Salwaat upon Holy Prophet(s.a.w.s) and his immaculcate progeny as much as u can from this you will develop a sound and intelligent mind for yourself and would attain high levels of spirituality and piety

"Allahumma salli ala Mohammad(s.a.w.s) wa aali Mohammad(s.a.w.s)."

Fasting and eating less increases aql as has come in a hadees.

Intake of meat is also encouraged for increase in aql although one should not eat meat at a stretch of 40 days in a row and neither should be without meat for 40 days in a row as it spoils the sense of humour.

There are two voices active inside each one of us all the time.

For example when it is cold and you have to pray. One voice tell you that it is cold and you should remain in bed. Other voice tells you praying is the right thing.

First voice is whisper of Satan and second one is your intelligence. If you ignore wispers of Satan, you are actually nourishing your intelligence.

First you have to recognise these voices inside yourself.

Second thing you can do is to remember Allah's beautiful names with maximum emotional involvement.

There are two voices active inside each one of us all the time.

For example when it is cold and you have to pray. One voice tell you that it is cold and you should remain in bed. Other voice tells you praying is the right thing.

First voice is whisper of Satan and second one is your intelligence. If you ignore wispers of Satan, you are actually nourishing your intelligence.

First you have to recognise these voices inside yourself.

Second thing you can do is to remember Allah's beautiful names with maximum emotional involvement.

Good advice man. Once we begin to think about these voices, then we can reject them, else we fall into the trap.

Keep silent and you will get intelligent (even works for ladies).

Shut up.....

Information is what makes you more knowledgable. Therefore reading,writing and memorizing is key. Reading gives you more information but you need to store the information ,thats were writing and memorizing places a big role.

Everyone is intelligent in their own way.

Softening the heart to the to the remembrance of Allah(swt). I believe the heart is the key to intelligence. In the position of sajda we are closest to our Lord(swt) it is only then that the heart is raised above the brain

jazakallah brother

Keep silent and you will get intelligent (even works for ladies).

yea and I believe there are many hadith asking to remain silent unless we have something good to say. This saves us from many sins the tongue commits.

Acquired knowledge helps grow the intellect, but there is another form of knowledge which enlightens man; namely knowledge by presence. Strive to achieve both my friend.

As for acquired knowledge, one must read as much as possible. Ideally, work and study under one or two brilliant teachers as well as the value of a great teacher cannot be understated. Some of the topics I recommend are first and foremost, the topic of Islam, with particular focus on the Quran and topics pertaining to Tawhid. Other topics I recommend are ancient Greek philosophy and Islamic Philosophy, ideally with a teacher too. The study of logic is also a critical topic to improve and sharpen ones mind.

As for the latter, purify your self. Aim to perfect your good characteristics and wipe out your vices. Surely then, by God's infinite grace, He will send into a man's heart a light which illuminates all.

Edited by InfiniteAscension

Read Nahjul Balagha and reflect upon it.

I find that reading material on critical thinking and logical fallacies has a lot of benefit.

I agree and I think that's the best way But the key to that also is not giving up when someone doesn't understand the martial. A lot of people tune out when they don't understand the first word in a book. So it takes will power and lots of reading.

As-salaam mulaikum everyone. i just want everyones view on how can one increase ones intelligence. Does it happen through knowledge for example?

One should recite Quran and offer prayers as it increases intelligence and eat almonds daily as it helps memory so will retain knowledge better. Do not give up learning and acquiring knowledge as knowledge has no end.