Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
hamza1892

Help Explaining A Verse. Surah 5 Verse 32

Rate this topic

Surah 5 verse 32 statso (translation by Shatiri), "Because of that We ordained for the Children of Israel that if anyone killed a person not in retaliation of murder, or (and) to spread mischief in the land - it would be as if he killed all mankind, and if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of all mankind. And indeed, there came to them Our Messengers with clear proofs, evidences, and signs, even then after that many of them continued to exceed the limits (e.g. by doing oppression unjustly and exceeding beyond the limits set by Allah by committing the major sins) in the land!."

What does Allah (swt) mean by saying "not in retaliation of murder?

how is retaliation used in this verse.?

Also, I thought retaliation is a form of revenge of some sort?

so if you can please clear that up for me, i will appreciate it :)

pureethics is right. The verse is talking about killing innocent people who don't attack you first, but remember, this verse is talking about the Children of Israel, not to us Muslims, so you can't use this verse as proof that Islam does not allow the killing of innocent people.

pureethics is right. The verse is talking about killing innocent people who don't attack you first, but remember, this verse is talking about the Children of Israel, not to us Muslims, so you can't use this verse as proof that Islam does not allow the killing of innocent people.

The quran is usable in the past present and future, Islam does not allow killing of Innocent. It doesnt matter to who God says it too, the Quran is for mankind, therefore what ever is in the Quran is a lesson to mankind.

The quran is usable in the past present and future, Islam does not allow killing of Innocent. It doesnt matter to who God says it too, the Quran is for mankind, therefore what ever is in the Quran is a lesson to mankind.

What if I were to quote sura 9, verse 5, which says 'slay them wherever you find them', and say that this verse is for the past, present, future? Would you agree with me?

Edited by Dragonborn

What if I were to quote sura 9, verse 5, which says 'slay them wherever you find them', and say that this verse is for the past, present, future? Would you agree with me?

[Shakir 9:5] So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 9:5]

The command to fight against the perfidious and treacherous group of infidels who persistently violated the treaties and tried to destroy peace and security, was to restore law and order in the society. The command was not general but only refers to particular groups of the Makkan idolaters who were notorious offenders. They used to harass the Muslims whenever they found them helpless and when overpowered prayed for amnesty by making treaties which they used to break before their ink was dried.

When war becomes inevitable it must be fought with vigour. It may take the form of slaughter, or capture, or siege or ambush, but even then there is room for repentance and amendment, and if that takes place forgiveness is enjoined for the establishment of peace and harmony.

Once again, slay them in defense from their attack......

When I said past present future, I meant the Quran generally can be used anytime, not literally. There is a difference between the principle of the verse and its literal context. This verse is talking about an historic event, what do we learn from it? Forgive People if they repent, if they try and kill you, defend yourself even by the means of killing them.

[Shakir 9:5] So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 9:5]

The command to fight against the perfidious and treacherous group of infidels who persistently violated the treaties and tried to destroy peace and security, was to restore law and order in the society. The command was not general but only refers to particular groups of the Makkan idolaters who were notorious offenders. They used to harass the Muslims whenever they found them helpless and when overpowered prayed for amnesty by making treaties which they used to break before their ink was dried.

When war becomes inevitable it must be fought with vigour. It may take the form of slaughter, or capture, or siege or ambush, but even then there is room for repentance and amendment, and if that takes place forgiveness is enjoined for the establishment of peace and harmony.

Once again, slay them in defense from their attack......

When I said past present future, I meant the Quran generally can be used anytime, not literally. There is a difference between the principle of the verse and its literal context. This verse is talking about an historic event, what do we learn from it? Forgive People if they repent, if they try and kill you, defend yourself even by the means of killing them.

You are saying that 9:5 refers to a historic event, well, 5:32 also refers to a historic event. Notice how Allah (swt) says:

"We ordained for the Children of Israel"