Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Dragonborn

People Say Islam Has Pagan Roots? Is This True?

Rate this topic

This has always bothered and confused me. Many anti-Islamic people try to discredit Islam by saying that it has copied traditions from the Pagan Arabs.

They say that:

-Praying 5 times a day is pagan practice

-So is fasting

-So is pilgrimage (haj)

-So is Tawaf of Safa and Marwa

-So is going around holy Ka'ba 7 times

-Black stone used to be worshipped as idol

-Ka'ba used to be this huge place where Pagans worshipped idols, but Islam stole it

Article found here, (note it is very anti-Islamic): http://www.wikiislam.net/wiki/The_Pagan_Origins_of_Islam#cite_note-3

Is this true??? If this was true, would it discredit Islam? I need an educated person to answer. Thank you.

Or it could be that the Arabs had preserved some of the practices of prophets of the past, such as Ibrahim (as) and Ismail (as).

Anyway, someone who is already full of doubts shouldn't really be spending time on wikiislam. It might be better to read about Islam from Islamic sources first, or at the very least serious western academic scholarship, rather than some uneducated hatemongers on the internet.

14 – Ahmad b. `Ali b. Abi Talib at-Tabrisi in al-Ihtijaj from Abu `Abdillah Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã in a hadith wherein a zindeeq (freethinker, atheist, Manichean, etc) said to him: Inform me about the Majus (i.e. Zoroastrians), were they closer to being right in their religion or the `Arab (i.e. the pagan `Arab)? He said: The `Arab in Jahiliyya was closer to the true religion (ad-deen al-haneefi) than the Majus. And that is because the Majus denied all of the prophets – until he said – And the Majus would not do ghusl from janaba, and the `Arab would do ghusl. And doing ghusl is from the pure laws of the Haneefiya. And the Majus would not circumcise, and the `Arab would circumcise, and it is from the sunan of the prophets. And verily the first one who did that was Ibrahim the Friend. And the Majus would not give ghusl to their dead, and not enshroud (give kafan) them, and the `Arab would do that. And the Majus would throw the dead in the desert and sarcophagi, and the `Arab hid it in their graves and entombed it, and likewise is the sunna upon the Messengers. And verily the first one who had a grave dug for him was Adam, the father of man, and a tomb was entombed for him. And the Majus would come unto the mothers and marry the daughters and the sisters, and the `Arab forbade that. And the Majus denied the the house of Allah, the Haram, and called it the house of Shaytan. And the Arab would do hajj to it and venerate it and call it the house of our Lord. And the `Arab in every way was closer to the true religion than the Majus – until he said – So what is the reason for the ghusl from janaba? It only comes (from?) the halal, and there is no pollution from the halal? He Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã said: Verily janaba is of the status of menstruation. And that is because the nutfa is a blood that is not aggravated. And sexual intercourse is not but by intense motion and dominant desire. So when the man discharges, the body respires, and the man finds a foul odour from himself. So the ghusl is wajib because of that. And the ghusl of janaba (along) with that is a trust that Allah entrusts His servants upon it that He might test them by it.

Pagan(which only means rustic or rural) traditions find their way into all religions. People have their traditions which shape their lives. They can call these traditions whatever they like and use them to honor whomever they like... be it one God, or many gods. This is where one must discern true heathenism... those things which might be approved by God, and those that would not. I believe God gives it to us to discern Truth from falsehood. It is in this discerning that we demonstrate nearness or distance from Him... in whether or not we can discern Truth.

Salaam

Or it could be that the Arabs had preserved some of the practices of prophets of the past, such as Ibrahim (as) and Ismail (as).

Anyway, someone who is already full of doubts shouldn't really be spending time on wikiislam. It might be better to read about Islam from Islamic sources first, or at the very least serious western academic scholarship, rather than some uneducated hatemongers on the internet.

I was never full of doubts, I just needed clarification.

Everything comes from something else. People blend in their own local culture. Prophets simply weren't holy men, they were diplomats, peace makers, politicians, etc.

If you want to remove the whole question of a religion being right or wrong from the picture for a moment, a religion is obviously a great way to unite a people or end a war or something like that. It would come much easier if you let people maintain some of their own customs for example. If you look at the history of Christianity, things like this persisted for awhile.

Zoastrianism was somewhat of an innovative religion, it displays many of the ideas later found in Christianity and Islam, i suppose you could argue everything has roots here too.

Point is, no one exists in a vacuum of knowledge or in a bubble.

Islam shares a fair bit in common with Christianity and Judaism as well, so you can draw roots there.

I think it is fairly well established that Kaba used to be a pagan site though, it doesnt say anything about Islam as a religion though.

Edited by Pascal

One thing you should look into about Kaba is that this could be where Adam was first sent to Earth, Abraham built, and Ali was born in. Islam destroyed the pagan concepts and reestablished that there is only One God, since the beginning of time, until the end of time.

And that this God is sentient, and not evil, with proof as seen by His Creation, such as nature, animals, and particularly humans.

All distortion and corruption comes about by our misunderstanding.

If you have any doubts about your reality, try not eating for a day, or however long you can, and you will realize, that God, Rabel Alamin, takes care of all of His creatures, even if they are pagan.

Its true that they worshipped the idols inside the kaba and then they burnt it when the propht told them to. I see where your coming from but islam explained to them what they should do and shouldnt do. So yeh they probably did fast, go round the kaba, wear hijab to protect them selve from sand lool. Not sure about praying 5 days , these actions could of been done or passed down but it doesnt discridit islam because islam showed them what is right and what is wrong.

Why would the pagan arabs do tawaff of safa and marwa just like that, how do they know about hij?

I mean fasting can be passed down from christains,even indians fast that is the first relgion soo people could of picked up the habit from them.

So their suggesting arabs made it up lol, christains pray 3 times and pagan arabs add 2 more to it.....

Hazrat Imam Ali (as) was born in the kaaba for this reason to destroy the religion of the pagans, as Hazrat Imam Ali (as) said "I am the destroyer of the kuffar". It was Hazrat Imam Ali (as) that destroyed the kuffar at Badr, Khayber, Khandaq, and Ohud.

'For Muhammad and All of his followers'

'For Jesus and All of his followers'

Before our very eyes, Muhammad and Jesus and their followers have become one thine hand.