Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Guest {Ya_Qamar_Bani_Hashim}

Salatul Layl

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

Inshallah you are all in the best eman and health :)

I am going to start performing salatul layl inshallah soon, just wondering if anyone here prays salatul layl and if they would they like to share their first experience of how their first salatul layl went and how they managed to keep it going and how long does it take to perform it and anything else that would be nice to share and any advice they would like to give me. If you don't like to share its its all good :)

Jazakallah khair

thank you :D

Fi Aman Allah

Edited by {Ya_Qamar_Bani_Hashim}

(bismillah)

(salam)

I am going to start performing salatul layl inshallah soon, just wondering if anyone here prays salatul layl and if they would they like to share their first experience of how their first salatul layl went and how they managed to keep it going and how long does it take to perform it and anything else that would be nice to share and any advice they would like to give me. If you don't like to share its its all good :)

Jazakallah khair

Fi Aman Allah

(wasalam)

First of all, may Allah (swt) grant you the tawfiq to start performing the salah. Alhamdulilah.

I knew someone who did it quite often last year, in the month of Ramadhan, and without a doubt the hardest part is to keep it up. It is mushtahab to perform the salah when you are closer to Fajr time and if you sleep before then of course getting up can be an issue for some.

"Ah I'll get up in another half an hour" lol, it happens.

I will advise though, try not to rush through the prayer even a little. Focus entirely and insha'Allah you will benefit immensely. So leave enough time for you to do that. Also if it's too taxing to start with the full 11 rakah, then by all means just start with one of the prayers e.g. witr. Then once you find it easier to get up and focus then introduce the other parts.

But yeah I'd say the hardest part is to keep it going.

Insha'Allah you can break the hardest part of starting it and keeping it going, where many of us fail.

start by allocating minimum of 45 minutes.

As you gain practice, you will get more joy from it and then you can add more time. There are lots of supplications to recite in Qunoot of Witr. I have heard form those who enjoy great joy from the Salat ul Layl, that some of them recite Dua Abu Hamza Thumali in the Qunoot along with other supplications. Dua Abu Hamza Thumali on its own takes 45 mins or so. Then again, I don't want to scare you that it is a big time commitment, Start slow and then as Allah gives you Taufiq build up.

The biggest issue for most people is lost sleep, but Allah will help you and sleep is not as big of a deal as it is made out to be. From what I know, the joy of praying to Allah with utmost devotion and sincerity is more than any material joy in this world.

Iltemas-e-Dua

Edited by abba

A Cup of Sea from the one who say's he is from Ali:

1. The Prophet of Allah (P.B.U.H.) said to Ali (A.S.) 'Oh Ali do you want six hundred thousands sheep or six hundred thousand dinars or six hundred thousand words (of admonition). Ali (A.S.) submitted 'Oh Prophet of Allah I want six hundred thousands of words.' 1. The Prophet(P.B.U.N.) said I gather all the six hundred thousands of words into six words. Oh Ali,.when you see that the people are busy with recommended and desirable good deeds, you get busy with the completing of obligatory (services). 2. And at a time when you see the people busy with the worldly activities, you get busy with the deeds for the here after. 3. And when you see people mentioning ill of others (slandering and back biting) you get busy with your own faults (In rectifying them). 4. And at times when you see that the people are busy in decorating of world. get busy with decorating and beautifying your' resurrection day. 5. While you see people getting busy with (procuring) abundance and plentifulness of practice get busy in achieving (out standing place) the purity of practice Concentrate upon the quality of Practice). 6. When you see people imploring creature (people) for help, supplicate to Allah. (ALMAWAIZ UL ADADIA, ALBAB, 6, ALFASL, 4 ALHadith, 1)

19- ÞÇáó ÇáäóøÈöíóø(Õóáóí Çááå Úóáóíåö æóÇáöåö) íÇ Úóáöíõø ÊõÑíÏõ ÓöÊóø ãöÆóÉö ÇóáÝö ÔÇÉò ÇóæÓöÊóø ãöÆóÉö ÇóáÝö ÏöíäÇÑò ÇóæÓÊóø ãöÆóÉö ÇóáÝö ˜óáöãóÉò¿ ÞÇáó íÇ ÑóÓõæáó Çááå ÓöÊóø ãöÆÉö ÇóáÝö ˜óáöãóÉò ÝóÞÇáó: ÇóÌãóÚõ ÓöÊð ãöÆóÉö ÇóáÝö ˜óáöãóÉò Ýí ÓöÊöø ˜óáöãÇÊò íóÇ Úóáöíõø:ÇöÐÇ ÑóÃóíÊó ÇáäøÇÓó íóÔÊóÛöáõæäó ÈöÇáÝóÖÇÆöáö ÝóÇÔÊóÛöá ÇóäÊó ÈöÅÊãÇãö ÇáÝóÑÇÆöÖð¡æó ÇöÐÇ ÑóÃóíÊó ÇáäøÇÓó íóÔÊóÛöáõæäó ÈöÚóãóáö ÇáÏõøäíÇ ÝóÇÔÊóÛöá ÇóäÊó ÈöÚóãóáö ÇáÂÎöÑóÉö¡ æó ÇöÐÇ ÑóÃóíÊó ÇáäøÇÓó íóÔÊóÛöáõæäó ÈöÚõíõæÈö ÇáäøÇÓö ÝóÇÔÊóÛöá ÇóäÊó ÈöÚõíõæÈö äóÝÓö˜ó¡ æó ÇöÐÇ ÑóÃóíÊó ÇáäøÇÓó íóÔÊóÛöáõæäó ÈöÊóÒííäö ÇáÏõøäíÇÁ ÝóÇÔÊóÛöá ÇóäÊó ÈöÊóÒííäö ÇáÇÎöÑóÉö¡æó ÇöÐÇ ÑóÃóíÊó ÇáäøÇÓó íóÔÊóÛöáõæäó Èö˜óËÑóÉó ÇáÚóãóáö ÝóÇÔÊóÛöá ÇóäÊó ÈöÕóÝæóÉö ÇáÚóãóáö¡ æó ÇöÐÇ ÑóÃóíÊó ÇáäøÇÓó íóÊóæóÓóøáõæäó ÈöÇáÎóáÞö ÝóÊóæóÓóøá ÇóäÊó ÈöÇáÎÇáöÞö. (ÇáãæÇÚÙ ÇáÚÏÏíÉ¡ÇáÈÇÈ6 ÇáÝÕá4 ÇáÍÏíË1)

Salam,

Since you are starting new, keep it short (you can read just the 2 raka' of Tahajjud instead of 2 raka' x 4) plus the Shafa' and Witr. Also keep Dua-e-Qunoot short. Also don't have to wake up at 3AM in the morning, ou can read it right after Isha' or right before going to bed. Also no need to do it every night, you can read it once a week say every Friday night.

Once you get used to it inshAllah, the length, the repeatition, the continuity will come with it.

One thing you could also do from the start is make sure to read a page of Quran with translation & tafseer after you are done with your short Salat-ul-Layl and alternate it with reading a khutba from Nahjulbalagha or a Dua' from Sahifa Sajjadia.

Basically make SalatulLayl an acitivity where you are connected to Allah(swt) in seclusion on many levels through many ways; not just the Sajood and Ruku. It will keep it colorful and non-boring with many kinds of highly Mustahib ibadaat such as Salat + Quran Learning + Hadith Learning and so on.

Lastly, do not overdo just the Salat part as a beginner.

Great advice ^^ JazakAllah khair bro

^^ Jazakallah khair everyone for you help and suggestions, much appreciated

(bismillah)

(salam)

Jazakallah khair

Fi Aman Allah

wa salaam,

I try to do it everyday, but how much I do varies from day to day. Some days, I can spend up to hours. Other days, it's barely ten minutes. However, keep the following hadith in mind:

And he [Jafar al-Sadiq] Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã said regarding the witr: Allah only decreed the five, and the witr is not decreed. If you want to you pray it, however abandoning it is ugly.

There are 11 cycles for salaat al-layl, 4 sets of 2 cycles, 1 set of 2 cycles without qunoot known as shaf, and 1 cycle with prolonged qunoot known as witr. You should at the very least strive to offer the witr everyday as a minimum, and be moderate. Don't burden yourself. If you're tired one day, offer it quickly and inshaAllah Allah will accept it.

The general procedure for the witr is to recite al-Fatiha, 3x al-Ikhlas, al-Falaq, al-Naas, prolonged qunoot and then complete the salaat as you normally would.

May Allah make it easy for you. As you get into the rhythm of things, you look up the different adhkaar and things recommended in salaat al-layl. Again, there are so many things and don't try to do them all at once. Implement them sequentially and only what you want. Salaat al-layl is very mustahab so make it personal!

salaam

Insha'Alla you will keep praying Salatul Layl.

I don't remember my first experience praying Salatul Layl. My sister is the one who taught me how to pray it and I did a little research on the internet as well.

Let me tell you, the first few times you perform this Salat, it will take quite some time because you're not used to it so you'd be very careful as to performing it correctly.

I remember listening to a lecture on performing good deeds a few years before I started praying Salatul Layl. The sayed said, if you perform a good deed for 40 consecutive days, you will never be able to let go of that good deed and will keep performing it forever.

So I promised myself that I will pray Salatul Layl for 40 days straight. And let me tell you and Allah is witness to what I'm saying, I couldn't go sleep without performing this holy prayer after 40 days and even before that.

Alhamdoulilah I have been praying it for the past 3-4 years on a daily basis and wallah I cannot even think about sleeping before performing this prayer. It's as if it has become a wajeb prayer.

It usually takes about 30 minutes for this prayer.

I perform it the following way:

Salatul Layl:

8 raka'a and sujud after every 4 raka'as

you say the following surat during the first raka'a: Al-Fatiha then Ikhlas

second raka'a Al-Fatiha then Al-Kafirun

and you repeat this another time, then ruku3 and sujud and then you repeat the first 4 raka'as.

Salatul Shafi3:

2 raka'as (similar to Salatul Fajr)

First raka'a you read Surat Al-Fatiha then Surat Al-Nas

Second raka'a you read Surat Al-Fatiha then Surat Al-Falaq

Salatul Witr:

1 raka'a

you read Surat Al-Fatiha, then 3 times Surat Al-Ikhlas, then Surat Al-Falaq and finally Surat Al-Nas

then I do qunuut and say the following:

بِسْمِ اللّهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْمِ

لآ اِلَهَ اِلاَّ اللّهُ الْحَلِيْمُ الْكَرِيْمُ

لآ اِلَهَ اِلاَّ اللّهُ الْعَلِيُّ الْعَظِيْمُ

سُبْحَانَ اللّهِ رَبِّ السَّمَاوَاتِ السَّبْعِ

وَ رَبِّ الاَرْضِيْنَ السَّبْعِ

وَ مَا فِيْهِنَّ وَ مَا بَيْنَهُنَّ وَ مَا فَوْقَهُنَّ وَ مَا تَحْتَهُنَّ

رَبُّ الْعَرْشِ الْعَظِيْمِ وَ سَلاَمٌ عَلى الْمُرْسَلِيْنَ

وَ الْحَمْدُ لِلّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِيْنَ

وَ صَلَّى اللّهُ عَلى مُحَمَّدٍ وَ آلِهِ الطَّاهِرِيْنَ

then ruku3 and sujud and you're done.

Afterwards, I do tasbih which consists of the following:

70 times: اَسْتَغْفِرُ اللّهَ رَبِّي وَ اَتُوْبُ اِلَيْهِ

300 times: اَلْعَفْوَ

then I ask for forgiveness of forty muslim (men and women) in the following way: اَللّهُمَّ اغْفِرْ لِ____________

then I perform short dua's to all muslims such as: may Allah cure every ill person, may Allah give wealth to the needy, may Allah give food to the poor and certainly don't forget to ask Allah to hasten the re-appearance of Imam Sahib Al-Zaman.

finally I say the following 7 times (very important):

هذَا مَقَامُ الْعَآئِذِ بِكَ مِنَ النَّارِ

which translates into the following: This is the position of one who seeks refuge in You from the fire

All the Imams and Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) used to pray Salatul Layl on a daily basis, if you truly consider yourself a lover of Ahl-Al-Bayt, you have no choice but to show this love by performing this prayer.

And the hadiths say, Allah (swt) mentioned the reward for every good deed except the reward Salatul Layl due to it's greatness, only he knows it's reward.

And the Prophet Muhammad (pbhu) said: Whoever has been granted the chance to recite Salatul Layl, a male servant or a female one, and he(or she) rises for Allah sincerely, does proper wudhu , prays salaat for Allah with a true intention, a sound heart, a humble body and a tearful eye, Allah will place behind him nine rows of angels. The number of angels in each row cannot be counted except by Allah. One side of each row is in the East, and the other is in the West. Then when he completes his prayer, he gets the reward of all of the angels in the rows.

May Allah (swt) keep us on this path and guide us to whatever pleases him.

I've seen a couple different ways of praying salatul layl

does it matter which way you perform the salaat?

and also is it okay to hold a book while praying this salaat, I've just started so need the book as guidance until i get a hang of it?

From what i know, you are ok to use a book or whatever for guidance for your mustahab salaat. I used to use a my mobile as guide for this prayer by loading up duas.org and going to the prayers instructions page - although i have stopped these prayers now as i thought it is better to make up all the prayers i missed from years back rather than read mustahab salaat's.

Speaking from personal experience, I am also working on my prayers that I have missed from years back. I do not recommend stopping Salaatul Layl for your missed prayers. I do recommend doing both at the same time, where is the harm in that? Also, I have heard the nafilah in Salaatul Layl can be replaced with qaza salaat that you need to do, as long as it adds up to 8 rakaat.

I see that everyone is talking about the burden of Salaatul Layl and how it's hard to do it and time consuming.

I say it's easy to do and it's supposed to be a little time consuming but good thing you're doing it in the night when you have no other distractions and you can fully concentrate on it.

The first 8 rakaat are simple. Then then the next 2 rakaat, you don't do qunoot. Salaatul Witr is amazing because you get to pray to Allah and glorify Him and then you get to ask for forgiveness for not only yourself but your dear ones. I love the first 8 rakaat a lot too though because there are so many meaningful duas you can do in between. Same with salaatul shaf'a, there are duas you can do in the middle. Mind you, I read my duas in English.

While there may be a difference of opinion, I will back this up 100%. I strongly recommend everyone to recite the duas in their native language. When we recite duas, do it with your utmost sincerity and straight from the heart! If your arabic isn't amazing and you don't understand it, then Allah knows. Yes, he is the Most Merciful and Most Generous and most likely grant you the benefits of the dua anyways, but think how much it would mean to Allah if you prayed to him with duas and you knew what you were saying and so that you could mean it.

Salaat and prayers and duas are needed for Allah. They are needed for us because we need to pray to remind ourselves how incredible Allah is, we need to remind ourselves through dua how regretful and repentant we are for all of our numerous sins. Our salaat and prayers and duas are things that are meant to change us for the better.

All in all, good luck to you. Keep it up yall

Iltemase dua

just another brother