Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Iraqi Dolma And Maqlooba

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Looks delish. Im Iraqi and I love Dolma ( don't know how to handle maqluba).

Sadly, I fear onions. Tried swallowing a cooked onion once but my throat locked down and it catapulted across the table onto my sisters plate.

Did you make that? Looks great, Id have that over getting colon cancer. Ahem.

The onions are my favorite! :) Actually I love everything about dolma, there isn't one thing in it that I dislike. At first I didn't care for maqlooba, but would cook it for my husband as he likes it, little by little I have grown to enjoy it. And yes I cooked these.

Brother mooooooooose i have had shawarmas few times and i like shawarma, but what is Dolma :P

Dolma, well at least the way my mother makes it, is meat, onions, rice, wrapped in grape leaves. There are different variations. Mrs. UmmAhmad, by the look of these photos, is more qualified to answer that question but one things for certain, you'll like it.

Shawarma makes me so warma inside. It actually revived me after I saved New York City single-handedly in the Avengers blockbuster movie (buy the DVD)...lol.

• Advanced Member

Dolma, well at least the way my mother makes it, is meat, onions, rice, wrapped in grape leaves. There are different variations. Mrs. UmmAhmad, by the look of these photos, is more qualified to answer that question but one things for certain, you'll like it.

Shawarma makes me so warma inside. It actually revived me after I saved New York City single-handedly in the Avengers blockbuster movie (buy the DVD)...lol.

The thing is that Dolma has not yet been introduced in Pakistan. Sister Umme may take

the opportunity to pioneer Dolma in Pakistan and earn handsome money :P

The onions are my favorite! :) Actually I love everything about dolma, there isn't one thing in it that I dislike. At first I didn't care for maqlooba, but would cook it for my husband as he likes it, little by little I have grown to enjoy it. And yes I cooked these.

Great work! I have difficulty eating it. yeah, I know Im like a child, I need all the elements on the plate to fit perfectly on my spoon.

Id like to see some ZIRDA soooooooon =D

• Advanced Member

Your dolmas look delicious :o But I'd have to say the only dolma I prefer eating are the grapeleaf dolmas :)

I know I said I like everything about dolma, but I forgot about the dreadful grape leaves, the taste is fine, just the texture of the leaf is repulsive!

The thing is that Dolma has not yet been introduced in Pakistan. Sister Umme may take

the opportunity to pioneer Dolma in Pakistan and earn handsome money :P

My Dolma is very healthy, :P it has dill, mint, and parsley, along with rice, spices, a little lemon juice, olive oil, ground meat, and tomato. You stuff this filling into hollowed out eggplants, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, onions, cabbage, and grape leaves (I don't like the grape leaves).

Great work! I have difficulty eating it. yeah, I know Im like a child, I need all the elements on the plate to fit perfectly on my spoon.

Id like to see some ZIRDA soooooooon =D

Are you referring to the milk and rice desert or the dish with garbanzo bean and meat?

I know I said I like everything about dolma, but I forgot about the dreadful grape leaves, the taste is fine, just the texture of the leaf is repulsive!

My Dolma is very healthy, :P it has dill, mint, and parsley, along with rice, spices, a little lemon juice, olive oil, ground meat, and tomato. You stuff this filling into hollowed out eggplants, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, onions, cabbage, and grape leaves (I don't like the grape leaves).

Are you referring to the milk and rice desert or the dish with garbanzo bean and meat?

When my sister makes it, I have trouble eating maqlooba with a spoon. I usually just scoop up a spoon of rice, shove it in my mouth, then pick up the eggplants, peppers, chicken, etc with my hand.

• Advanced Member

>.< im hungry again now, but its too late to be snacking. I could happily chow down on all that lovely stuffed veg. Whats on top of the rice tower? are the black things aubergine?

Yes aubergines/eggplants whatever you want to call them! LOL