Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

My Grandfather's Hajj Experience

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I have a question, especially for those who have been in Mekkah.

My grandfather and grandmother went to Hajj for 5-6 years ago (i dont quite remember, but it were in the early 2000). We all were happy that they fulfilled this wish and everything were as usual.

My grandfather have been a healthy and strong man, even in this 70s. We would walk down every morning to the mosque and come back with food for breakfast. I remember that when ever me and my family where visiting them in the summer (because we dont live in the same country), he would go out in that heat, buy so much food and come back without having any problem! People in the same street as my grandfather lives in, were fascinated that he were acting that young even though his age!

When he came back from hajj, we started to see that he were getting different for each day. He couldnt handle the same everyday as he did before, and slowly we lost the grandfather that we had. We were diagnosed with a mild type of Alzheimer (for those who dont know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzheimer's_disease). As we knew, he got ill while he were in Mekkah, but none of us could make a connection with that.

All suddenly when my mom when to visit him the summer 2010, he told her that he ate fish at some of the restaurants, which were so different and that he got sick by eating it. He told her some kind of scary things about it, that made her believe it where something that happened to him there.

The guide that were managed by the Turkish government, lead all the ppl who were doing their hajj from Turkey, to "certified" restaurants and etc. This place where he ate fish, werent "certified" (if u guys get what i mean).

So my question is, do u guys think something happened there with him? Is there any connection?

I know that he is getting old, and all this may be a normal thing, but it really hurts me to see him being like this when he were the opposite before!

Thanks for the replies.

Excuse is disease for death. Even if the restrauant had insanitary condition, what can u do now! (almond help Alzheimer/ pray for him 2 rakaats before maghreb and after fajr ) "pain pain dont ask what is good in this world, turning day into night, night into day has no meaning now"

(bismillah)

(salam)

I have a question, especially for those who have been in Mekkah.

My grandfather and grandmother went to Hajj for 5-6 years ago (i dont quite remember, but it were in the early 2000). We all were happy that they fulfilled this wish and everything were as usual.

My grandfather have been a healthy and strong man, even in this 70s. We would walk down every morning to the mosque and come back with food for breakfast. I remember that when ever me and my family where visiting them in the summer (because we dont live in the same country), he would go out in that heat, buy so much food and come back without having any problem! People in the same street as my grandfather lives in, were fascinated that he were acting that young even though his age!

When he came back from hajj, we started to see that he were getting different for each day. He couldnt handle the same everyday as he did before, and slowly we lost the grandfather that we had. We were diagnosed with a mild type of Alzheimer (for those who dont know: http://en.wikipedia....eimer's_disease). As we knew, he got ill while he were in Mekkah, but none of us could make a connection with that.

All suddenly when my mom when to visit him the summer 2010, he told her that he ate fish at some of the restaurants, which were so different and that he got sick by eating it. He told her some kind of scary things about it, that made her believe it where something that happened to him there.

The guide that were managed by the Turkish government, lead all the ppl who were doing their hajj from Turkey, to "certified" restaurants and etc. This place where he ate fish, werent "certified" (if u guys get what i mean).

So my question is, do u guys think something happened there with him? Is there any connection?

I know that he is getting old, and all this may be a normal thing, but it really hurts me to see him being like this when he were the opposite before!

Thanks for the replies.

Three possiblities:

a. Could have eaten some kind of Haram fish by mistake (a sea creature without scales); those wahabis eat all trash coming out of sea so you never know.

b. Some other infections which might have affecetd his health.

c. his emotional connection to Hajj which he looked forward all his life and kept him going. As soon as he di his Hajj, his minds gives in that he has done what he wanted. Same affect when people die soon after retirement. Retirement makes them lazy, feel useless, no reason to keep going, and hence they and their bodies give in.

• Advanced Member

Three possiblities:

a. Could have eaten some kind of Haram fish by mistake (a sea creature without scales); those wahabis eat all trash coming out of sea so you never know.

b. Some other infections which might have affecetd his health.

c. his emotional connection to Hajj which he looked forward all his life and kept him going. As soon as he di his Hajj, his minds gives in that he has done what he wanted. Same affect when people die soon after retirement. Retirement makes them lazy, feel useless, no reason to keep going, and hence they and their bodies give in.

Thank u for ur answer!

I were thinking about the same points as u mentioned, so im happy that someone agree with me.

• Veteran Member

My nana (mums mum) got dementia after my grandad died. I understand how distressing it can be, it can be like losing someone before the body dies. Try and focus on all the positives of what your grandad is retaining, try and approach things with humour to help eleviate distress he might get when he gets confused about things. Something like this can pull families together in a common goal, even though it can be stressful.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

My father had Alzheimer's before he passed away this April. Early onset (in 50s usually) is very definitely genetic. Late onset such as your grandfather's seems to be affected by several different factors, some genetic and some environmental. A tendency for Alzheimers can also be caused or accelerated by blows to the head (hence the large numbers of boxers and football players that have Alzheimers). My father had fallen, hit his head, and had to have surgery to relieve bleeding on his brain not long before he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and his doctor thinks that may have helped to bring it on. If someone already has Alzheimers, infections and inflammation can acclerate deterioration. Often, plaques begin forming in the brain a number of years before symptoms of Alzheimers appear.

If you're in the US, the Alzehimer's Association has resources and publications to help you understand the best ways to deal with people with this disease: http://www.alz.org/. HBO had a 6 part series on it several years back. If you watch that, be sure to have tissues at the ready. :(

It is hard to watch your loved one deteriorate. My advice is to say all that you would like to say to your grandfather now if he still knows who you are, because the time will come when he does not. I will keep your family in my duas inshallah.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

(salam)

My father had Alzheimer's before he passed away this April. Early onset (in 50s usually) is very definitely genetic. Late onset such as your grandfather's seems to be affected by several different factors, some genetic and some environmental. A tendency for Alzheimers can also be caused or accelerated by blows to the head (hence the large numbers of boxers and football players that have Alzheimers). My father had fallen, hit his head, and had to have surgery to relieve bleeding on his brain not long before he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and his doctor thinks that may have helped to bring it on. If someone already has Alzheimers, infections and inflammation can acclerate deterioration. Often, plaques begin forming in the brain a number of years before symptoms of Alzheimers appear.

If you're in the US, the Alzehimer's Association has resources and publications to help you understand the best ways to deal with people with this disease: http://www.alz.org/. HBO had a 6 part series on it several years back. If you watch that, be sure to have tissues at the ready. :(

It is hard to watch your loved one deteriorate. My advice is to say all that you would like to say to your grandfather now if he still knows who you are, because the time will come when he does not. I will keep your family in my duas inshallah.

(wasalam)

Thank u so much for ur answer, sister!

It hurted me so much to hear about ur father, may u see him in jannah.. :cry:

I know some basics about Alzheimers because of my studies, and as my mom told me, he can be affected from whatever that happened earlier in his life. He had a difficult childhood where he lost both his parents in a young age. But it just hit us when he suddently got it after coming back from hajj.

I dont live in us, but i will be happy to make a small research anyway!

I will follow ur advise, because there is no way back, we cant change him. So its better to make the best of these moments.

May Allah give u patience in this hard year. And again, thanks.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Thank you, sister, for your kind reply to my reply. It is quite possible that your grandfather's Alzheimers had begun before he went to Hajj, but his symptoms only became noticeable afterwards. I believe it is a blessing that he was able to go to Hajj while he still understood its significance. Allah (swt) invites us when it is the right time for each one of us.

Feel free to Pm me anytime you would like to talk about your grandfather. I understand what you are going through.

(wasalam)