Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Allah (swt) Has Hands?

Rate this topic

Zulfiqar-e-Ali

• Banned

(bismillah)

(salam)

ÞÇá íÇ ÅÈáíÓ ãÇ ãäÚß Ãä ÊÓÌÏ áãÇ ÎáÞÊ ÈíÏí ÃÓÊßÈÑÊ Ãã ßäÊ ãä ÇáÚÇáíä

He said: O Iblis! what prevented you that you should do obeisance to him whom I created with My two hands? Are you proud or are you of the exalted ones? [38:75]

Is this figurative or literal? Because the Quran also says . . .

æáã íßä áå ßÝæÇ ÃÍÏ

And none is like Him. [112:4]

So, since we (humans) have hands, then Allah (swt) can't because none is like Him. So is the first ayat to be taken figuratively? I'm not quite sure . .

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

Mohammad Ibn Ubaidah questioned Imam Ridha [as] on the subject of Allah having a hand (Referencing Surah Saad Ayat 75), who [as] replied saying:

"With my own hands: in this verse us purported to mean "with my potency and power."

Tawheed by Al Sadooq page 153-154

Mohammad Ibn Ubaidah questioned Imam Ridha [as] on the subject of Allah having a hand (Referencing Surah Saad Ayat 75), who [as] replied saying:

"With my own hands: in this verse us purported to mean "with my potency and power."

Beautiful!

Another question that we can raise is why didn't God use the phrase "with my potency and power" instead of "with my two hands"?

• Banned

Jazak'Allah Khair, akh.

Beautiful!

Another question that we can raise is why didn't God use the phrase "with my potency and power" instead of "with my two hands"?

Good question :S

• Advanced Member

Beautiful!

The same reason that he said "They will be looking at his face with pleasure" in Surah 75, al Isti'aan 2/303 explains this is a common analogy the Arabs said when someone was pleased, it would mean "Their Lord is pleased with them", same here it was a common analogy as well, ie. speaking in metaphors.

The same reason that he said "They will be looking at his face with pleasure" in Surah 75, al Isti'aan 2/303 explains this is a common analogy the Arabs said when someone was pleased, it would mean "Their Lord is pleased with them", same here it was a common analogy as well, ie. speaking in metaphors.

Maybe Allah is testing which one of us (Muslims) will fall pray to idolatry by believing that Allah has a face, hands, etc.

• Veteran Member

AlAjal has already explained the meaning of what was meant so I won't go into that but, just to supplement his point, we can actually see that believing that God literally has hands would lead to many problems as a verse of the Quran says (can't remember the exact references or the exact words so this is just the theme if the verse): "and everything will perish, save His Face!" Does this mean God's hands will also perish? What does that say about God? If a part of Him can be destroyed, how is He God anymore?

As for why such phrases were used, why not? Languages always have metaphoric phrases that are used to make the content more stimulating and interesting so why not use them?

• Advanced Member

Maybe Allah is testing which one of us (Muslims) will fall pray to idolatry by believing that Allah has a face, hands, etc.

Allahu Alamul Ghayb

AlAjal has already explained the meaning of what was meant so I won't go into that but, just to supplement his point, we can actually see that believing that God literally has hands would lead to many problems as a verse of the Quran says (can't remember the exact references or the exact words so this is just the theme if the verse): "and everything will perish, save His Face!" Does this mean God's hands will also perish? What does that say about God? If a part of Him can be destroyed, how is He God anymore?

As for why such phrases were used, why not? Languages always have metaphoric phrases that are used to make the content more stimulating and interesting so why not use them?

Thank you Sheikh for your help, to think, we're accused of shirk for a backed tawassul, but Allah has a body and hands, ah that's all good that's all good.

• Veteran Member

remember the quran came at a time of uneducated people who loved poems, i believe that is why Allah uses many analogies, also Allah himself says, he is not comparable to anything. Allah is the best of All Planners, so we dont know why Allah didnt use power instead of hands. Why did Allah create us humans with two eyes instead of 8?

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

ÞÇá íÇ ÅÈáíÓ ãÇ ãäÚß Ãä ÊÓÌÏ áãÇ ÎáÞÊ ÈíÏí ÃÓÊßÈÑÊ Ãã ßäÊ ãä ÇáÚÇáíä

He said: O Iblis! what prevented you that you should do obeisance to him whom I created with My two hands? Are you proud or are you of the exalted ones? [38:75]

Is this figurative or literal? Because the Quran also says . . .

Not the only surah where Allah mentions "his hands". If you read all the things related to Allah in the Quran, you can easily realize he's very human-like in appearance and personality. BUT.. this is just so we understand what's going on. It is made easy for us in "examples". If he described himself with new words and unknown features outside our fantasy, how are we to make a conclusion hmmm :P? Although it has a potential to be called literal it certainly is figurative.

remember the quran came at a time of uneducated people who loved poems

^Exactly this.

Why not mention cars and other high-tech modern technology while describing Paradise in the Quran(outside the ancients' fantasy)?

Now imply the same to God's (real) "features" and us humanity, and the limited fantasy.

My explanation made it more complicated lol, apologies

Edited by Wing

• 9 years later...
  • Advanced Member
On 10/29/2012 at 6:56 AM, Psyche24 said:

So is God saying "with my two powers"? Seems odd.

The two hands of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) can be understood with the help of following verse:

اللَّهُ الَّذِي خَلَقَ سَبْعَ سَمَاوَاتٍ وَمِنَ الْأَرْضِ مِثْلَهُنَّ يَتَنَزَّلُ الْأَمْرُ بَيْنَهُنَّ لِتَعْلَمُوا أَنَّ اللَّهَ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدِيرٌ وَأَنَّ اللَّهَ قَدْ أَحَاطَ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عِلْمًا {12}

[Shakir 65:12] Allah is He Who created seven heavens, and of the earth the like of them; the decree continues to descend among them, that you may know that Allah has power over all things and that Allah indeed encompasses all things in (His) knowledge.

We can say that knowledge & power are pre-requisites for the systems like Universe & Life. 

To create anything, one must possess the "knowledge" at first place, then the "ability" to act according to his knowledge. 

Wassalam!!