Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Envir-Islam

Feminists?

Rate this topic

Salaam Alikum sisters!

I am a strong feminist as we all should be. But my views are different then the western feminist views. I realize that when I go to the feminist club meetings. I feel as if I am an odd ball out of the bunch based on how they think. I am way more conservative and less liberal on some actions. A little confused on how they think some things should be expressed.

So I want to ask sisters here. What are your views on feminism? How do you keep up with feminist actions? Have you felt the same way?

For those who do not believe they are a feminist, please explain why.

Lets start discussing feminism!

P.S. If you have hadith or any references to the topic, it would be awesome if you could share! I've always wondered if there are such support out there for it.

^_^ :D

salam Alaikom

What is feminism ?

Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women.[1][2] In addition, feminism seeks to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist is "an advocate or supporter of the rights and equality of women"

(Reference to Wikipedia for the answer) I hope that was good for you. Wiki seems to answer things best sometimes.

Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women.[1][2] In addition, feminism seeks to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist is "an advocate or supporter of the rights and equality of women"

(Reference to Wikipedia for the answer) I hope that was good for you. Wiki seems to answer things best sometimes.

Thank you ! :)

but what is feminism in your views ? your own definition .. how would you define it

but what is feminism in your views ? your own definition .. how would you define it

To me, it means equality. It means that women should have a voice on topics. It means we should be paid equally. It means fairness between all people.

..well this is gona end bad!

My 2 cents: Islam doesn't support feminism.

Why do you say that? Where in Islam does it down women? Where does it say women do not have a fair share in rights?? Yes, when it comes to certain things like inheritance we are 1 to 2 men. But we have our husband that we inherit from.

To me, it means equality. It means that women should have a voice on topics. It means we should be paid equally. It means fairness between all people.

Why do you say that? Where in Islam does it down women? Where does it say women do not have a fair share in rights?? Yes, when it comes to certain things like inheritance we are 1 to 2 men. But we have our husband that we inherit from.

I might be a little confuse. If you do not have a problem with the Islamic view of women then what seems to be the problem?

As sister Enlightened said, you might have to briefly explain what Feminism is in your eyes? You want equality to what extent? There are certain things men are more capable of doing and are preferred then women are and vice versa.

that's a nice definition :)

and islam does support feminism according to your definition

Edited by -Enlightened

well, feminism isn't only about equality of/for women but equality for all, and ending oppression, violence, imperialism, both internally in one's personal life and externally in one's public life. It's also about having humility and discarding and standing against colonialist mentality and behavior, and being just and speaking truth to power. It's also about being conscious about one's own place in the world both locally and globally and how the nuances of that positionality impacts one's interaction and relationship with others, i.e., power relations.

However, there are a lot of people, women and also hijabis, who 'pretend' or 'show off' they are feminist just because its 'fad' to them but they really don't know the meaning of or how to be a feminist. And, if you look at some of these people's lives, you see their internal and external life and practices are in contradiction.

For example, I was at Diversity Center in Queens a couple of weeks ago, and a hijabi very arrogantly and rudely kept cutting into my conversations with people and trying to 'show off' something, I don't know what. But, this is what I call hijabi on hijabi violence. A feminist would not do that. Only a 'fake' feminist and an arrogant human being would engage in such behavior trying to 'show off'. The same person actually goes around in the external world, showing off again how they are anti-oppression and anti-imperialism, but they also banks with corporate banks that perpetuate oppression and imperialism in the world. Hence proving how they are only feminist by 'fad' but not in its true meaning and practice!

Islam is a feminist religion! What you all say?

Edited by maimuna

Problem with all this is though, Islam doesn't teach equality (I'm not only referring to genders here). Fairness yes, but forcing the inequal to be equal is itself a form of injustice.

I know what you mean.

salam Alaikom

What is feminism ?

Feminism is the ideology that men are inherently evil and have oppressed women forever. Therefore, not only must women get equal rights (which they've had for a while . . .) but they must get MORE rights and oppress men as in the past. One such issue is abortion. Feminists feel the need to murder children to assert their dominance over men, whom would be imprisoned for murder. Another way of proving women's dominance over men is the intense lobbying for birth control pills to be free of charge, yet condoms to be expensive. This is a way of showing that women feel they need to have as much sex as possible with no consequences while men should have to pay money or face consequences.

That's what I get from feminism, anyway . . .

aahhh feminism.

syed Ali Khamenei briefly described western idea of feminism and islamic and quranic idea regarding females.After i listened to that audio book all my doubts were satisfied and replaced.

Name of the book is Aurat,Gohar hasti.

i recommend everyone to read it.

All the best

feminism-strong-smart-and-independent-until-things-get-a-little-bit-difficult.jpg

and this is 4 fun ;)

So, you've only embraced some parts of feminism. The part that you think doesn't go against Islamic teaching?

No wonder you feel like an odd one out.

So, you've only embraced some parts of feminism. The part that you think doesn't go against Islamic teaching?

No wonder you feel like an odd one out.

Even mainstream Western feminists like Margaret Walters today say that women from other parts of the world do not need to import and accept White Western feminist framework in whole. They have also realised that patronizing attitudes of the feminism of the 70s and 80s is actually harmful for women coming from a different religiocultural background.

There is a recognition of the need to devise local feminist frameworks and that's where Muslim women come in with their own problems and solutions targeted at those problems.

Marbles

you should not be pro feminists , that will get you only in troubles

Derma

You better invent a new name for the Muslim women rights movement because the feminist title will always be linked always to the removal of hijab, always!

i dont think that what you are calling for is wrong but muslims will judge before you speak as long as you label yourself as feminist

We can re-define feminism in the realms of Islam, uneffected by the western influences. And then discuss this topic. How about that??

Note: I am shocked to see that people think Islam and feminism are contradictory.

Edited by Your sister in faith

We can re-define feminism in the realms of Islam, uneffected by the western influences. And then discuss this topic. How about that??

Note: I am shocked to see that people think Islam and feminism are contradictory.

"Feminist activists campaign for women's rights – such as in contract law, property, and voting – while also promoting bodily integrity, autonomy, and reproductive rights for women."

Reproductive rights: ...reproductive rights for women (including access to contraceptives and abortion), and the right to enter into contracts and own property.

That's just one aspect that is contradictory. Now, I can basically read all of their concerns and list each that is contradictory, but that would take a long while.

If you want to make up your own definition that includes only what Islam allows for women then lets not call it feminism.

It only becomes absolutely contradictory and unmodifiable when it comes to women, not only the term feminism would be frowned upon but also the act of seeking some legitimate rights under Islam for women would be frowned upon as an act of mimicking the west

stay at home woman, stay at home

Men know how to run the life perfectly

well i work with women who face humiliation and violence just because they are women and are seen as inferior to men in their cultures and communities. We usually try to empower women to stand up for themselves and their rights. I think im a feminist to a certain degree in the sense that i think women should be respected, not objectified, not forced into anything, not ridiculed, to not always be seen as the most vulnerable sex and to have their rights in every aspect of life. But i wouldnt go as far as burning bras or shaving off my hair or taking of the hijab because many muslim women (not very practicing) i know have taken it off because they think its forced by men when actually its a law by God. Society will never be equal, Islam says that men and women have their rights but we are not equal because we have different qualities, different attributes, that doesnt make us less equal or inferior than the other, in some things women excel in and in some men do, it just how God designed us.

Why do you feel the need to support feminism? Is Islam not enough? Or maybe Islam has some wrong things in it which must be corrected by feminism? What will you do if feminism and Islam have conflicting views of a matter?

Islam is a perfect religion for everyone, if we dont agree with it some of it then the flaw is in our own understanding. You can accept that Islam has rights for women which are being overruled by peoples own ignorance in some cultures and societies which feminism also accepts, remember the Prophet was the champion of human rights and was the first to give rights to women when they were sold as 'objects' when they were sold and passed around from one man to another, and seen as 'burdens' to the point where baby girls were buried alive. I dont agree with certain aspects of feminism eithier, such as allowing abortions, it contradicts Islam and i feel is quite frankly wrong, another is that a woman that covers up (in this case hijab) is oppressed when its simply not the case. Yes some are forced to wear it but Islam doesnt allow that and again its forced out of ignorance, it should be something that a woman wants to do just as i chose to wear it.

Edited by AlHamdulillah110

You ain't going to get much far with it having some posts (#7 & #8) based on pure ignorance about what feminism actually entails and how it is allegedly contradictory to Islam.

Imagine a world where the ones who made those posts ruled the roost.

Even mainstream Western feminists like Margaret Walters today say that women from other parts of the world do not need to import and accept White Western feminist framework in whole. They have also realised that patronizing attitudes of the feminism of the 70s and 80s is actually harmful for women coming from a different religiocultural background.

How successful have they been in adapting the new non-white non-western feminist framework?

I don't really know much about feminism except all the negative things people are saying about it.

I think feminism started out well. Women wanted to drive, vote, be able to get an education, and be paid for doing the same type of work as men. Sadly enough even today if you have a male and female sitting right next to each other doing the same job the male usually gets paid more (I'm talking about white collar work...not hard labor). Another problem is certain bra burners and crusties who refuse to shave hijacked it in the 60's and 70's giving feminism a bad name, making it synonymous with promiscuity and other vile behaviors......real feminists are against these vile behaviors.

I am sure wage gap is a myth...

"Feminist activists campaign for women's rights – such as in contract law, property, and voting – while also promoting bodily integrity, autonomy, and reproductive rights for women."

Reproductive rights: ...reproductive rights for women (including access to contraceptives and abortion), and the right to enter into contracts and own property.

That's just one aspect that is contradictory. Now, I can basically read all of their concerns and list each that is contradictory, but that would take a long while.

If you want to make up your own definition that includes only what Islam allows for women then lets not call it feminism.

Is that your argument for contradiction between Islam and Feminism?

Help me out here and let me know if I got my facts right?

Islam is the first religion ever which recognized the rights of women and gave them a status in society. Let us all not forget the following blessings by Allah (SWT):

• Baby girls were buried alive upon birth. Such customs were put to an end and baby girls were given the status of a blessing to the household they were born in.

• Women were treated like dirt in the Jahilliya period but MUHAMMAD (S.A.W), 1300 years ago assured to the mothers, wives, and daughters of Islam a rank and dignity not yet generally assured to women by the laws of the West.

• Women are considered equal to men in all respects except for physical and mental power. This obviously happened after the advent of Islam. I agree with the fact that women sometimes have to be guided and lead by men but that does not mean they are inferior to men. Those men who think women are dumb should check out universities’ statistics.

• Discussing the law of inheritance, the right of a woman is not usurped here too. A woman gets a share of inheritance from her father, brother, husband and son. If you ask me that is more than you can ask for. Or Is it not??

• Education has been made compulsory for both men & women.

Lastly brothers & sisters Islam has not only elevated the position of women but simultaneously safeguarded their social and economic interests as long ago as 1400 years.

I personally believe both men & women are an integral part of a healthy, running & thriving family. One is incomplete without the other.