Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

University !

-Enlightened

• Veteran Member

(salam)

I have to apply to university in the next couple of weeks and I need all of your help.

• I want to know which fields did you study in your life, whether you liked it or not and what field would you have chosen instead ?

• If you're a current undergraduate university student, please tell me which program are you in and why did you chose it ?

• If you're still in high school, which program are you planing on getting in & specify your answer

I can't wait to read your posts ! :)

• Veteran Member

Sorry for the essay, i have an exam tomorrow and I am procrastinating lol

LOL . I also have a test tomorrow

Mashallah,

seriously your post was a real inspiration to me !! Alhamdulilah .

May Allah continue to bless you with success .

Yoda1, Zulfiqar,psyche24 , thank you for your reply. It's very motivating to read your posts . I also really like psychology , May Allah always make you succesful

• Advanced Member

LOL . I also have a test tomorrow

Mashallah,

seriously your post was a real inspiration to me !! Alhamdulilah .

May Allah continue to bless you with success .

Yoda1, Zulfiqar,psyche24 , thank you for your reply. It's very motivating to read your posts . I also really like psychology , May Allah always make you succesful

Allah ysalmek, I wish you the best of luck tomorrow.. hopefully its not math lool

lool well Its to do with the motivation I get..

Here are some poems which really help me..

“You are a volume in the divine book,

A mirror to the power that created the universe.

Whatever you want, ask it of yourself..

Whatever you’re looking for can only be found

Inside of you”

and

“Keep walking, though there's no place to get to.

Don't try to see through the distances.

That's not for human beings. Move within,

But don't move the way fear makes you move.”

May Allah bless you for your kind words ^^ I will do Du3a so that you may achieve your ambitions and be given an easy route to success :)

So what do you plan to study and why? lol

• Veteran Member

Chemical Engineering...pays the most for a four year degree...best bang for your buck.

lol Mashallah !

Did you like your program? I am taking an engineering class this semester and we're only 4 girls.. the rest are all boys. The class is very difficult , My lowest grades are in this class and I always have to ask my brother or someone else studying in engineering for help.

PM me and tell me about the salary!

Salaam sister,

So exciting to choose a study! I'm in my last year of Biomedical Research. I've specialized in Biotechnology and Laboratory Animal Science.

Biotechnology seemed very interesting at first sight, but LITERALLY I felt like the meme Propaganda of the Deed posted earlier lol. Most classes were too boring, and the practical courses at the lab were dreadful. I expected to spend a lot of time at the DNA-lab, but turned out we only focussed on that in theory. We ended up most of the time doing fermentations and biochemistry -__-''. Though the idea of DNA-modification of plants and animals to improve our life caught my attention. It's a highly discussed subject, many positive and negative reactions worldwide. But subhanAllah, some of the things scientist invent can be very beneficial for humans. But we have to be careful, and know our limits ofcourse.

99da1837_i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpeg

Laboratory Animal Science on the other hand was very nice. I have always been fascinated by the anatomy of humans and animals. Also I'm fully aware that most medicine must go through animals testing first before being used for clinical trials for humans. My favourite part was the dissection and the operations on the animals. SubhanAllah, when you examine the anamtomy of a rat from close it's so fascinating, very similar to humans. Very fascinating to see how everything in your body is connected and linked to eachother. It was also very exciting and challenging to operate on them. Especially when you realise you have to keep them alive while testing the drugs. It got bloody at times, but it's important to have steady hands.

Biology in general is just so interesting. It's such a wide field, everything around you is biology. Yourself, the food you eat, the animals, the nature. So many area's to specialize in.

Insha'Allah you'll pick something of your interest, and you'll get in at the uni you apply for! I wish you the best of luck :)

ws.

• Veteran Member

Allah ysalmek, I wish you the best of luck tomorrow.. hopefully its not math lool

lool well Its to do with the motivation I get..

Here are some poems which really help me..

“You are a volume in the divine book,

A mirror to the power that created the universe.

Whatever you want, ask it of yourself..

Whatever you’re looking for can only be found

Inside of you”

and

“Keep walking, though there's no place to get to.

Don't try to see through the distances.

That's not for human beings. Move within,

But don't move the way fear makes you move.”

May Allah bless you for your kind words ^^ I will do Du3a so that you may achieve your ambitions and be given an easy route to success :)

So what do you plan to study and why? lol

Thank you very much for your poem ! it is indeed very inspiring .

I am hesitating between a lot of choices , from nursing to psychology, maybe philosophy or a french teacher. I really want to be a teacher because I have good public speaking skills and I also like to serve the community.

I want to go to hawza too

so many choices/plan.. I want a field where I could serve the Imam of my time.

I'm at the confusion state but inshallah with your dua's , I'll find a path

i wish you success in your life. Its wonderful to see shia Muslims who are into medical studies.

Salaam sister,

So exciting to choose a study! I'm in my last year of Biomedical Research. I've specialized in Biotechnology and Laboratory Animal Science.

Biotechnology seemed very interesting at first sight, but LITERALLY I felt like the meme Propaganda of the Deed posted earlier lol. Most classes were too boring, and the practical courses at the lab were dreadful. I expected to spend a lot of time at the DNA-lab, but turned out we only focussed on that in theory. We ended up most of the time doing fermentations and biochemistry -__-''. Though the idea of DNA-modification of plants and animals to improve our life caught my attention. It's a highly discussed subject, many positive and negative reactions worldwide. But subhanAllah, some of the things scientist invent can be very beneficial for humans. But we have to be careful, and know our limits ofcourse.

Laboratory Animal Science on the other hand was very nice. I have always been fascinated by the anatomy of humans and animals. Also I'm fully aware that most medicine must go through animals testing first before being used for clinical trials for humans. My favourite part was the dissection and the operations on the animals. SubhanAllah, when you examine the anamtomy of a rat from close it's so fascinating, very similar to humans. Very fascinating to see how everything in your body is connected and linked to eachother. It was also very exciting and challenging to operate on them. Especially when you realise you have to keep them alive while testing the drugs. It got bloody at times, but it's important to have steady hands.

Biology in general is just so interesting. It's such a wide field, everything around you is biology. Yourself, the food you eat, the animals, the nature. So many area's to specialize in.

Insha'Allah you'll pick something of your interest, and you'll get in at the uni you apply for! I wish you the best of luck :)

ws.

Alaikom Alsalam Beautiful sister !! :)

Waoww A hijabi in a medical field ? now that's something very cool & I'm VERY proud of you .. Representing Islam to the non-muslims in a such a manner is very nice.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I already had a kind of 'one day experience' at a pharmaceutical lab and they were also doing the same testing that you just described . You are right, it's fascinating to see the creation of Allah around us .. Subhanallah

Thank you for your informal post; i never knew that 1- Rat body is very similar to human and that 2- You must do the experiment while the animal is alive . thank you for the knowledge :P

Edited by -Enlightened

salam ,

the fields I've studied you will never find in any universities .

none of my kids or grandkids attend any schools or universities and yet they will be most advanced in their thinking.

My grandson at age of 9 translated :Sura-Al-Fahtiha into quantum english in front of some learned scholars and they were amazed at the accuracy and syntax of his translation.One of them commented that is the purest translation ever heard.

My older kids are putting together alternative renewable energy systems and plastics based on plant materials , this won't be available in universities for another 10-15 years.

ws

• Advanced Member

I'm still in HighSchool, well actually I'm completing my final exams at the moment (had one today :P but another tomorrow :( )

I'm planning on doing a teaching course insha'Allah. Since becoming a Muslim I've wanted to do something that will benefit me in this world and the hereafter and to do something that will make a difference in people's lives and I think teaching for me personally is a good move.

I'm also thinking of doing International Studies at Uni... So not 100% sure.

Good luck! :)

• Veteran Member

I'm still in HighSchool, well actually I'm completing my final exams at the moment (had one today :P but another tomorrow :( )

I'm planning on doing a teaching course insha'Allah. Since becoming a Muslim I've wanted to do something that will benefit me in this world and the hereafter and to do something that will make a difference in people's lives and I think teaching for me personally is a good move.

I'm also thinking of doing International Studies at Uni... So not 100% sure.

Good luck! :)

congratulations on finishing high school this year!

graduates of 2012-2013 are the coolest B)

Its an excellent choice and its exactly what I want to do : something that will help me in the Akhira & I think that teaching is a good idea. When we teach , we inspire many students.. We teach to students who will change the world. ..

the generation of tomorrow

salam ,

the fields I've studied you will never find in any universities .

none of my kids or grandkids attend any schools or universities and yet they will be most advanced in their thinking.

My grandson at age of 9 translated :Sura-Al-Fahtiha into quantum english in front of some learned scholars and they were amazed at the accuracy and syntax of his translation.One of them commented that is the purest translation ever heard.

My older kids are putting together alternative renewable energy systems and plastics based on plant materials , this won't be available in universities for another 10-15 years.

ws

(salam)

that's pretty cool.

I do not wish to ask personal questions on a public forum , but I have to say that i'm very curious about them.

It is true, we don't necessarily need university to learn, but we need books and knowledge that can be found anywhere nowadays.

Most importantly, we need motivation and we can only have it through a goal in life.

May your kids always succeed in life, with the blessings of Allah

Edited by -Enlightened

congratulations on finishing high school this year!

graduates of 2012-2013 are the coolest B)

Its an excellent choice and its exactly what I want to do : something that will help me in the Akhira & I think that teaching is a good idea. When we teach , we inspire many students.. We teach to students who will change the world. ..

the generation of tomorrow

(salam)

that's pretty cool.

I do not wish to ask personal questions on a public forum , but I have to say that i'm very curious about them.

It is true, we don't necessarily need university to learn, but we need books and knowledge that can be found anywhere nowadays.

Most importantly, we need motivation and we can only have it through a goal in life.

May your kids always succeed in life, with the blessings of Allah

(salam)

:Jazak-Allah-Khair for your kind words .

I also wish you the same one day with your future kids , may they serve our :Imam (as) well.

For our family , Universities and schools did not provide the knowledge we wanted our kids to learn .

Many things that they grew up with was not normal and they needed something different to the norm.

I spent a lot of time teaching and providing knowledge to my kids , together with the vast network of mentors that I had through my business and personal contacts.

It was not always easy , and there was much isolation at times , with only the family as each others company.

But they grew up as good kids :Alhamdoolila.

Downside to this is the difficulty in finding their wives/ husbands as they are very different to your normal people .

And their expectations and outlook on life is very different .

But we wouldn't have it any other way .

I wish you all the best and may :Allah (swt) give you success in this world and the next .

ws

Alaikom Alsalam Beautiful sister !! :)

Waoww A hijabi in a medical field ? now that's something very cool & I'm VERY proud of you .. Representing Islam to the non-muslims in a such a manner is very nice.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I already had a kind of 'one day experience' at a pharmaceutical lab and they were also doing the same testing that you just described . You are right, it's fascinating to see the creation of Allah around us .. Subhanallah

Thank you for your informal post; i never knew that 1- Rat body is very similar to human and that 2- You must do the experiment while the animal is alive . thank you for the knowledge :P

Ahlan ukhti,

Lol thanks for your kinds words, insha'Allah every sister and brother respresent our faith to the non-Muslims around them in a beautiful way.

You're welcome, it's interesting to see what made others choose for their study. You should just chase your interest and do something that makes you excited to learn about. Insha'Allah khair!

I'm sure you'll make a good choice, bless you ukhti! And insha'Allah yawm al takharoj! Time flies, you'll be graduating before you know it! :P

ws.

• Veteran Member

dont go for some thing common like accounting and stuf, do some thing new like animation, journalism or may be car designing or some thing like that....

Thank you for the advice ! Indeed, we need muslims in every filed to make a better world

(bismillah)

Whatever you choose to study, be the best at what you do.

(wasalam)

(salam)

Thank you . I will try .. it's not easy to be ''The best'' , although I try to .

I also wish you the same

(salam)

:Jazak-Allah-Khair for your kind words .

I also wish you the same one day with your future kids , may they serve our :Imam (as) well.

For our family , Universities and schools did not provide the knowledge we wanted our kids to learn .

Many things that they grew up with was not normal and they needed something different to the norm.

I spent a lot of time teaching and providing knowledge to my kids , together with the vast network of mentors that I had through my business and personal contacts.

It was not always easy , and there was much isolation at times , with only the family as each others company.

But they grew up as good kids :Alhamdoolila.

Downside to this is the difficulty in finding their wives/ husbands as they are very different to your normal people .

And their expectations and outlook on life is very different .

But we wouldn't have it any other way .

I wish you all the best and may :Allah (swt) give you success in this world and the next .

ws

Thank you

I wish you and your kids the best. May Allah reward you and them ..with a lot of blessings

I will pray for their success

I have an honors degree in Earth & Environmental Sciences and if you are in Pakistan, don't even think about going for it. But I must say it is an interesting field though.

Mashallah ! I agree that it's an interesting field. I am taking a geography course at the moment, we learn a lot of environment. I like it .

Why don't you recommend it in pakistan ? :)

Ahlan ukhti,

Lol thanks for your kinds words, insha'Allah every sister and brother respresent our faith to the non-Muslims around them in a beautiful way.

You're welcome, it's interesting to see what made others choose for their study. You should just chase your interest and do something that makes you excited to learn about. Insha'Allah khair!

I'm sure you'll make a good choice, bless you ukhti! And insha'Allah yawm al takharoj! Time flies, you'll be graduating before you know it! :P

ws.

Inshallah !

Indeed, very interesting to see the other's filed. Thank you for all the advice . you've been very helpful :)

Find out your real interest and passion and see if you are willing to do it for life.

A lot of people don't like their jobs that much. It pays the bill.

Except if you are doing it for fun (surfer, athletics).

Thank you :)

it is true.

• Advanced Member

Thank you very much for your poem ! it is indeed very inspiring .

I am hesitating between a lot of choices , from nursing to psychology, maybe philosophy or a french teacher. I really want to be a teacher because I have good public speaking skills and I also like to serve the community.

I want to go to hawza too

so many choices/plan.. I want a field where I could serve the Imam of my time.

I'm at the confusion state but inshallah with your dua's , I'll find a path

i wish you success in your life. Its wonderful to see shia Muslims who are into medical studies.

Some advice, Always choose what you feel to be what you really want.. Pray Istikhara often.. No one knows whats best, better than Allah swt. Inshallah I wish you the best of luck on whatever path you chose. :) You know with any path you choose, you will still by no doubt be able to contribute to Imam Mehdi as. We human beings come to this world to do particular work which Allah has set us and that work is the purpose for our existence, but each is specific to the person.. So always choose what you believe is right.. Every person no matter what their back ground can contribute to the cause of Imam Mehdi as. Take time and never rush to a decisions. May Allah bless you with a long and wonderful life..

Edited by alhashimi

• Advanced Member

Did a BA in International Business with Arabic. The Int. Business part sounded fancy, but when you break it down, you realise it don't really amount to much - I mean there is no precise or specific career path associated with it, and I wasn't still sure what I wanted to do at that time when I applied. I skipped quite a few lectures/seminars as the course progessed, once the initial zeal of being a uni student faded off.

I don't know about other countries but over here in the UK if you study Business in uni, finding a job afterwards will be extremely difficult. I know a few people who are struggling to find work and when they do apply they're told that they won't be at an advantage just because they have a business degree. To be honest I think that if you have the business mind frame then you don't need a degree in it. Some people choose it for GCSE's, college and then uni :mellow: Universities just want to get money out of you by offering courses with no precise career path associated with them.

(bismillah)

Whatever you choose to study, be the best at what you do.

(wasalam)

Best advice so far. I was given the same advice by my dad.

Edited by Hawraa29

• Veteran Member

I don't know about other countries but over here in the UK if you study Business in uni, finding a job afterwards will be extremely difficult.

Yep, am from UK, and found that out first hand... which is partly why I went onto doing an MSc in something different, although I had never intended to do any post-grad studies. But then I met a lot of people on that degree course who were from all sorts of academic backgrounds too, so it is economic-trend related too, the amount of people going into post-grad. Undergrad in this generation alone doesn't cut it no more - depending on subject of course.

To be honest I think that if you have the business mind frame then you don't need a degree in it.

Totally agree, just look at all these entreprenuerial freshies over here. You just gota be able to take risks and be imaginative, it sure helps.

Some people choose it for GCSE's, college and then uni :mellow:

Story of my life :squeez:

• Advanced Member

I graduated a couple of months ago with a Philosophy degree and I LOVED it.

Make sure you study what you enjoy...you will be doing it for 3 years (at least), and maybe pursuing it as a career for a large chunk of your life.

I dont know if you are aware of our hadith regarding Philosophy?

• Veteran Member

I dont know if you are aware of our hadith regarding Philosophy?

These students spend years in Qom, learning Persian, Arabic, religious sciences,jurisprudence, theology, and philosophy. In effect they apprentice themselves to senior clerics, mastering rhetoric and legal disputation, logic, and oratory.

The Shia Revival - Vali Nasr, p218.

• Veteran Member

I was just making the point that Falsifa, isn't neccessarily diamterically opposed to Islam or unislamic.

Indeed there is a long tradition of Islamic Philosophy - although some philosophy purists deem it to be an oxymoron, that there cannot be true to open inquiry as there are some things that cannot be questioned, i.e. Nature of God, Monotheism. Thinkers like Ibn Rushd even tried to bridge the two together, such as his contribution Faith and Reason, which has had more appreciation and influence in the West admittedly.

Laslty, I do not have a "Qom hangover" whatever that is, trust me.