Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

People With Psychological Issues

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Recently, i were watching the series of "Most Evil" in Discovery Channel. It is about the worst murderers, masterminds etc. They include talking about their crimes and also their childhood. I have noticed that most of these ppl mentioned, were either abused or just had a family with no harmony.

Most of them do have schizophrenia, psycosis etc. So their mind isnt "healthy", they have lost the control because of the conditions they were living in as kids. Some of them dont even realize that they have done something wrong.

So my question is, will these ppl with psychological issues get punishment for whatever they did (in an Islamic view)?

(I hope i have posted this in right subforum)

Edited by Noura_Shi'a

In my opinion, psychopathology (study of mental disoders) is a pseudo-science. The "diseases" that you'll find in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders' (DSM-IV) are voted through by a committee of psychiatrists. Mental disorders, psychological disturbances, mental diseases, or whatever you want to call them are very subjective. Therefore, we cannot determine how Allah deems these individuals.

• Basic Members

Why do they say a person can't know there mentally Ive been in situations where I've met very very extremely I'll ppl like you see in the movies and they usually know there I'll sometimes they may denie it out of fear or anger but they know as long as there being or have been treated.

Is there any more info about this I once looked into an answer for it but never found.

• Moderators

Could u explain this last sentence more further? What is actually the difference?

From what I know regarding this issue, which isn't much....

There is a Sharii (Islamic legal) definition of Insane, weak minded, and mentally handicapped.

Maybe someone could post the exact definition. Basically, there are people who truly either

A) Do not comprehend that what they are doing is wrong or

B ) Cannot avoid doing harmful things, i.e. they have no control either physically, over their limbs (seizures), tongues (torretts), etc.

There are some people that fit into this category, but it is a small percentage of criminal. Most criminals are not insane and do have control over their actions, but they are driven by perverted and evil desires to do things to other people. If someone was truely Majnoon(Insane) or Daif(weak minded), the scope and effect of their crimes would be very small since it would be obvious that they were this way, they would be caught, figured out, and precautions would be taken rather quickly. Criminals like gangsters and serial killers do not fit into this category. They may have had a propensity or tendency to do crime based on their upbringing and / or environment and Allah(s.w.a) will take this into account when judging them, but they will not be absolved of their crimes (unless they repent in this life and attempt to undo the damage they did) because Allah(s.w.a) gave them a sound mind and a sound body with the ability to do sophisticated tasks and thinking and they used this for evil purposes and this had an effect on innocent people. There is a hadith that says that the dua of somone who is oppressed goes strait to Allah(s.w.a) and he answers this dua even if the person making it doesn't even believe in Him(s.w.a).

Most of the criminal acts are committed because of peoples love for power, money, and sexual desires. Both the killer of the She Camel of Saleh and the killer of Imam Ali(a.s) did it for desire for women. These were two of the greatest crimes committed in all of human history and both killers were sane.

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Advanced Member

I believe I've watched a few episodes of that program on Discovery.

I don't think we can lump the insane with criminally insane. They are two different breeds. Insanity doesn't makes one into a serial killer/mass murderers. There are more factors at play (some which have been mentioned by you).

While Islam does have a separate policy such as a more humane treatment for those who inflicts self-harm or harm others due to permanent impairment in judgment but there's not much recent development in this area (as I've observed).

Would Islam allows mass-murderers get away with indiscriminatory killings due to their mental disorder?

Edited by Gypsy

• Veteran Member

Anyone that kills should be punished, I doudt they will get away with it because some of them have planned in detail what there going to do to their victims.

God would probably question them about it but he will know if they faked the psychological issues.

not true

killing a killer , you will not be punished if it was your job

killing an enemy in wars

killing in defense

killing an animal for eating or to avoid harm

killing insects

kids ,teens and pre taklif age have special rule

insane , usually they are not held accountable

Islam consider those who are in psychosis state as insane

those in neurosis state are sick at heart and should be held accountable

the psychosis or insane or the legally insane in islam are like the schizophrenic

• Advanced Member

not true

killing a killer , you will not be punished if it was your job

killing an enemy in wars

killing in defense

killing an animal for eating or to avoid harm

killing insects

kids ,teens and pre taklif age have special rule

insane , usually they are not held accountable

Islam consider those who are in psychosis state as insane

those in neurosis state are sick at heart and should be held accountable

the psychosis or insane or the legally insane in islam are like the schizophrenic

Relax yeh, no one talked about soliders doing their job. I was talking about serial killers and murders because thats what the topic is about....

Jumping to conclusion isint good......

• Veteran Member

Relax yeh, no one talked about soliders doing their job. I was talking about serial killers and murders because thats what the topic is about....

Jumping to conclusion isint good......

i know what you meant but i wanted to make it clear that Islam capital punishment isnt done without consideration