Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Noura_Shi'a

My Journey From Sunni To Shia

Rate this topic

How do we know you aren't an ordinary shia practising taqiyya, I mean it sounds like a very professionally written story rather than an autobiography?

(before you call me wahabbi or something similar, do note that I converted out of the sunni sect to ISLAM, it's sad that you only had a vertical change, not upwards)

What's the point of sects? From what I see(assuming all that is true) you converted because of romantic reasons, as shiaism is VERY romantic. You were never precise about the 'agreeing' part of shia beliefs versus your original ones? I mean I doubt that your dad would have told you something like "we killed fatima RA, or Hassan RA" or something like "We are power hungry losers and we stole the caliphate from Ali RA for fun", what exactly did he tell you that you didn't like.

Note to mods, I'm not very familiar with the rules, i have read them but I can't tell if i'm trespassing them, edit my post as you wish if something i said is wrong

How do we know you aren't an ordinary shia practising taqiyya, I mean it sounds like a very professionally written story rather than an autobiography?

I used a lot of time tor write this text, because my english isnt that good, maybe thats why u see it as a "professional story". And how can i practice taqiyya, im not hiding that im shia :wacko: Maybe i just didnt get what u mean here, but i dont feel it as necessary to hide my religion because im not in danger at all!

AND i take ur comment really offencive, why should i make up this, when it is real! Of course, for those who dont belive, i dont actually care. Allah knows that im not lieing, and thats enough.

(before you call me wahabbi or something similar, do note that I converted out of the sunni sect to ISLAM, it's sad that you only had a vertical change, not upwards)

Im proud of my decision, and i belive that there is certain topics in Islam that u cant ignore, and by that JUST say u r a muslim and not sunni, shia or whatever. And thats why i have chosen Shia islam, because this isnt just about the basics in Islam, it is more further things that have something to say for what kind of followers we r.

What's the point of sects? From what I see(assuming all that is true) you converted because of romantic reasons, as shiaism is VERY romantic. You were never precise about the 'agreeing' part of shia beliefs versus your original ones? I mean I doubt that your dad would have told you something like "we killed fatima RA, or Hassan RA" or something like "We are power hungry losers and we stole the caliphate from Ali RA for fun", what exactly did he tell you that you didn't like.

My father didnt say any of those things, he just explained the basic difference between SUnni and Shia. And the whole thing that were in my brain from the start, where that how can we praise personallities that doesnt have any blood relations to our Prophet (that may not be a good argument right now, but when i were i child this were actually one thing that hit me).

I just have to say one last thing to u: u have misunderstood the whole meaning with this topic. So i wont bother to discuss anything with u. I were telling my story on how i converted, not WHY i converted. If u know what Shia islam is based on, then u will clearly get why i converted. Why should i precise that?? U r overanalyzing my text, so dont waste ur time because u havent got the real meaning.

I used a lot of time tor write this text, because my english isnt that good, maybe thats why u see it as a "professional story". And how can i practice taqiyya, im not hiding that im shia :wacko: Maybe i just didnt get what u mean here, but i dont feel it as necessary to hide my religion because im not in danger at all!

AND i take ur comment really offencive, why should i make up this, when it is real! Of course, for those who dont belive, i dont actually care. Allah knows that im not lieing, and thats enough.

Im proud of my decision, and i belive that there is certain topics in Islam that u cant ignore, and by that JUST say u r a muslim and not sunni, shia or whatever. And thats why i have chosen Shia islam, because this isnt just about the basics in Islam, it is more further things that have something to say for what kind of followers we r.

My father didnt say any of those things, he just explained the basic difference between SUnni and Shia. And the whole thing that were in my brain from the start, where that how can we praise personallities that doesnt have any blood relations to our Prophet (that may not be a good argument right now, but when i were i child this were actually one thing that hit me).

I just have to say one last thing to u: u have misunderstood the whole meaning with this topic. So i wont bother to discuss anything with u. I were telling my story on how i converted, not WHY i converted. If u know what Shia islam is based on, then u will clearly get why i converted. Why should i precise that?? U r overanalyzing my text, so dont waste ur time because u havent got the real meaning.

Okay the last part got me, we are two completely different persons, that's where we are stark opposites. Maybe we could have had similar personalities or been close friends IRL, but I guess your differences come out better on forums. Well no point arguing now, we've just made our cases clear - we can only agree to disagree.

Actually I have no problems with shia practises, or shia culture. You thought my comment was offensive, I apologise, those points weren't even important. I'm strictly anti patriarchal...

Okay the last part got me, we are two completely different persons, that's where we are stark opposites. Maybe we could have had similar personalities or been close friends IRL, but I guess your differences come out better on forums. Well no point arguing now, we've just made our cases clear - we can only agree to disagree.

Actually I have no problems with shia practises, or shia culture. You thought my comment was offensive, I apologise, those points weren't even important. I'm strictly anti patriarchal...

What happened to not judging others? You first post was all judgemental and what you think rather than what was said. That's why it was offensive - you basically implied she had lied. Which makes no sense.

Her story is basic in terms of having no history or anything, a personal account which will not sway any non-shia to convert.

Illogical to assume taqiyah anyway. Not that you should assume so.

Just incase you didn't understand why it would be offensive bro.

Peace

Thanks to every one! May Allah lighten up more muslims like Allah did for me.

@CityOfKnowledge : Ur comment did were really touching, it made me so happy that i cant describe it! May Allah bless u for these kind words.

Then I was guided, Sister Edition.

(salam)

As many of u may know, i have past that is different from how i am right now. I have been a member here june this year, and many of my posts confronts that im a convert to Shia islam.

As im writing this text, it makes me remember high school where i wrote english essays, and my english may be a bit... uhh... bad! And my story on how i converted may not be full of actions.

I beg the apologize of every reader.

I were born in a sunni muslim family. In my younger days i were learing alot about Islam, which were the basics every parent learn their child. I knew i were a muslim,

i knew about Allah and our Prophet, and the 5 pillars. I live in a European country, and in primary school i had a some education about Islam (it were just a summary about the basics that i were teached by my parents). So i werent actually focusing much on that subject and i were good to take the word on my classes to teach a bit more about Islam to my classmates and teachers.

I actually remember one day when i were 10-12 years old, that my father were watching the Turkish news (as we r originally from Turkey), and one of the cases were probably about Ashura (i dont remember that well).

I were wondering about the whole case and started to ask my father about what was happening. He started to tell me a bit about the split in Islam, that we had sunni, shia and many more. Then he continued to tell me about Shia islam (look, i didnt learn about different sects in Islam before i were about 10 years!).

When i asked him about which i belonged to, he answered sunni. And i felt from that day, that i had a mission to learn more (which 10 years old kid would think about it, but trust me, i did!).

Later on, i started on high school where the religion subject were a bit more detailed. When the topic came to Islam, we where again presented to the basics, but also about the different sects. I could read about sunni and shia, and the most confusing part were that i were more convinced about the belief of Shia.

But i were kind of ignorant and didnt mind it, because «our elders may have knew much better on why we have chosen sunni islam».

In the end of high school, i got contact with a Iraqi girl that were Shia muslim, and the topic came to Shia islam. She were telling be alot of info about them and absolutely adored the way i were just listening and not making discussions about how wrong she was.

She gave me books, linked to videos etc. just to help me learn more. I did want to learn, but unfortunally i were focusing too much on school that i «didnt have time for it».

So for 2 years ago i met my best friend, who were also a Shia muslim. We could talk for 2-3 hours a day about Shia islam and i were more and more attacted to it (and know i werent busy with all other less important things, as i were older).

I started to agree more on her points and started to read the books my Iraqi friend gave me. I were also good on doing research on the internet (i were actually using SC that times, but werent a member).

One year ago, while i started to forget about my interest about Shia islam, i had a dream that i were in the middle of a big crowd. I remember really well that i screamed «Ya Allah, Ya Muhammed, Ya Ali», and i were hearing the crowd saying the same. I were confused when i woke up, and i didnt tell anyone immediatly.

My life didnt go that well either on that time. Somethings didnt just work out, and i were having a hard time. I wanted to seek more comfort on my religion and i knew alot about Shia islam and were agreeing about it. My dream, my feelings about it etc. were going through my mind.

I converted, and believe me, since that day my life have been so much more better. I have felt more connections with Allah. I cant even describe how my life and the way i looked on life, were changed (some ppl here may think that im exaggerating, but this is what i felt!).

If i have said something wrong or offended ppl, please forgive me. May Allah be with u all. :)

(wasalam)

i get you man, your brave, and you deserve the respect of all the muslim community. please if you have any questions of shia islam, or arguements of sunnis towards shia please bring it to my or anyone in this websites attention and discuss.

if you dont mind me asking where did you convert?

i get you man, your brave, and you deserve the respect of all the muslim community. please if you have any questions of shia islam, or arguements of sunnis towards shia please bring it to my or anyone in this websites attention and discuss.

if you dont mind me asking where did you convert?

Thanks brother, i will for sure !

I dont get what u mean by where i did convert, is there a special place i had to do it? :wacko:

Thanks brother, i will for sure !

I dont get what u mean by where i did convert, is there a special place i had to do it? :wacko:

LOL i mean like a mosque, house or did an ordinary person do it, or a mullah(person with the turban and cloak)?

sorry i tend to talk to alota new brothers so im just wondering,

LOL i mean like a mosque, house or did an ordinary person do it, or a mullah(person with the turban and cloak)?

sorry i tend to talk to alota new brothers so im just wondering,

Ohh i see, it where my friend who did convert me. Nothing special actually :P

True :P If it werent for my convertation, i wouldnt be the happy and grateful person that i am today.

shubannallah, id dont like the word convert its to inappropriate, lets say change or enlightenment. happy for you brother

shubannallah, id dont like the word convert its to inappropriate, lets say change or enlightenment. happy for you brother

First Khadim uz Zahra is a sister and now Noura_Shi'a is a brother lool

Guest {Ya_Qamar_Bani_Hashim}

(bismillah)

(salam)

Ahsant, Mashallah sister, your story is beautiful, May Allah(swt) keep you steadfast on the beautiful dean of Al-Islam and the Beautiful path of Ahlulbayt(as) inshallah.

W/salam :)

True :P If it werent for my convertation, i wouldnt be the happy and grateful person that i am today.

I have a question sister, how'd you tell ur parents? I am in the same situation but I haven't told my family or too many people in my community. I think my mom might sense that I'm interested in Shiism, but I haven't told them yet... I know it would cause a lot of drama :P