Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Who Is Fadhllah?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

i was reading a thread here on mutah and one bro said:

"I follow Fadhllah rahmat Allah 3alayh"

instead of me bumpin into that mutah thread (as thats gonna b kinda embarrassing for me) i'll just ask here....

but who is fadllah rahmat Allah 3alayh?

shudnt we follow ahlul bayt?

just curios, as im seeing so many names of imams and scholars beingquoted but i dont know who's who, and why ppl r saying we follow this or that.... kinda confusing for a newbie like me...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's quite pathetic that a person can't ask a simple question on this forum without it turning into some sort of a mini riot. To the OP, kindly refer to the official website of the late Sayyed Fadhlal

Many people disagree with lots of Maraji' . Whats important is that to keep respecting them all.

Salaam everyone brothers and sisters Inshallah everyone is in good health, I just want everyone to watch this video where the Sayad (qas) talks about Al Zahraa (a.s) and her infallibility, because I p

• Advanced Member

Salam..

Welcome to the forum.. I hope you have a great time here.. :)

Yes, we follow Prophet and Ahlulbayt (peace be upon them).. And our scholars lead us in this way..

After studying the two weighty things Prophet left among us: Quran and Ahlulbayt.. we can study the terms Wilayat al Faqih and Taqlid/Marja to learn more about this.. Ok, you can learn about Syed Fadlallah (may he rest in peace) here: http://english.bayynat.org.lb/

Youtube channel here.. You can watch the videos with english subtitles.. But you need to enable the captions first.

http://www.youtube.c.../bayynatchannel

here's two of his videos.. Please click the cc to see the subtitles..

I say to all those who disagree with me

that ideological differences

should not make us lose love towards whom we disagree with,

for love is humanistic and enriches our humanity

and clears the road for us to understand and agree with each other

The road to the mind is the heart;

thus, if we open up our hearts to each other,

then it is possible that our minds would open up to wider horizons.

Thus, I say to those who disagree with me:

do not hold grudges [in your hearts], for grudge kills your humanity;

something I do not wish it would happen

Try to engage in a dialogue, for it solves many intellectual problems.

Try to read,

for the problem of many of those who disagree with me or accused me of certain things

is that they did not read me well, or in a comprehensive manner,

but rather, they heard things from here and there.

I remind them of what Imam Ali Bin Abi Talib (a.s.) said:

"There is a distance of four fingers between truth and falsehood; what you see is truth and what you hear is falsehood"

My entire mind is open to yours, so let us make our minds embrace,

and my heart is open to yours, so come join a heart that beats by the heartbeats of others

As for those whom I agree with, I say to them:

Let us join hands to make life more prosperous, and to further open up to Allah,

so as to further open up to man

I do not hold any grudge in my heart against any believer

I do not harbor any ill feelings against anyone;

I love you all

I would like us to live together for the sake of brotherhood in Allah

and for the sake of cooperating to make love prevail

[My slogan in life is] to love all people

To love those who are in agreement with us, so as to cooperate with them

and to love those who are at odds with us so as to engage in dialogue with them

ma salam :)

Edited by HamzaTR
  • Advanced Member

You were right first time, we should follow the Prophet (saww) and the Imams (as) only and not any individual scholar. This is not an anti-taqlid dig, those that are into it good for you but please don't paint it as an essential part of Shi'ah aquaid.

Fadhlallah was contrarian* in his beliefs, I believe there is an edict online somewhere endorsed by numerous scholars against his viewpoint; if I can find it I'll post a link.

ALI

* - this is a politer word than I intended, don't want to cause a pointless online bunfight with his 'followers'.

You were right first time, we should follow the Prophet (saww) and the Imams (as) only and not any individual scholar. This is not an anti-taqlid dig, those that are into it good for you but please don't paint it as an essential part of Shi'ah aquaid.

Fadhlallah was contrarian* in his beliefs, I believe there is an edict online somewhere endorsed by numerous scholars against his viewpoint; if I can find it I'll post a link.

ALI

* - this is a politer word than I intended, don't want to cause a pointless online bunfight with his 'followers'.

Oh shut up.

• Advanced Member

Salam..

Welcome to the forum.. I hope you have a great time here.. :)

Yes, we follow Prophet and Ahlulbayt (peace be upon them).. And our scholars lead us in this way..

After studying the two weighty things Prophet left among us: Quran and Ahlulbayt.. we can study the terms Wilayat al Faqih and Taqlid/Marja to learn more about this.. Ok, you can learn about Syed Fadlallah (may he rest in peace) here: http://english.bayynat.org.lb/

what is wilayat ak faqih and taqlid/marja?

I say to all those who disagree with me....

sorry for being kinda dumb here, but i didnt get any of this.... who disagrees with him? and on what?

• Advanced Member

ALI

ok inshalah every1 has their belifs and i think u hold something diferent here, but as always, every1 shud have a chane 2 speak, if its the haq it wil b clear inshalah if its not the haq it wil b clear, either way, plz can u elaborate on what u meant plz...

and plz keep ur words to a basic standard, as im new to all of this, i only understand english not arabic or farsi or urdu or anything else.... *smile*

btw i googled out what contrarian meant and it said "A contrarian is a person who takes up a position opposed to that of the majority, no matter how unpopular"

if u dnt mind me asking, what positions did he hold contrary to the majority? and what are ur proofs for him being wrong? jazakalah *smile*

• Advanced Member

I don't hold the different view, I think the truth is he held views on some issues that contradicted most mainstream Shi'ah scholars.

Amongst them were his views on (not) sending lana'ah on the idols of Quraysh, the incident of the door (not conclusive I know), Ziayarat e Ashura not being valid/correct, belief that it's acceptable to join sunnis in tarawih prayers and some other oddities.

I think Bashir Hussain Najafi (look him up online) was very staunch in his opposition to the stance of Fadhlallah and there is somehere a 40-signatory document from senior clerics condeming him.

Read, research then make your own mind up but don't be swayed by staunch supporters of his or me. End of the day you're responsible for ensuring your aquaid is correct as much as possible, not anyone else.

ALI

• Advanced Member

what is wilayat ak faqih and taqlid/marja?

Salams,

wilayat al faqih = guardianship of a qualified scholar.

taqlid = following a qualified scholar.

marja = qualified scholar who is followed.

During the acculturation of our 12th Imam (ATF), we refer towards our qualified scholars for guidance towards learning and practicing Islam.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

WS

(and Kismet 110 stop misguiding people on this board and keep a 1000 ft away from me).

• Advanced Member

Who was Fadlallah? He was somebody.

Who is this guy?

ALI

Nobody.

• Veteran Member

AHem Ahem Fadhl-Allah ahem ahem ..

If i say the truth ppl will fight me here. But nowadays i dont ve time for war. So lets just he was something who challenged something trillion times more powerful than his entire existence! :no:

And back in the day their were a majority who used to believe the world was flat for a thousand years and very few believed that it wasn't did those few challenge something way bigger then their existence too? Just because the majority believes in something for a long time doesn't mean their right . If the majority is always right then we should all be Christians because they are the majority in this world.

And back in the day their were a majority who used to believe the world was flat for a thousand years and very few believed that it wasn't did those few challenge something way bigger then their existence too? Just because the majority believes in something for a long time doesn't mean their right . If the majority is always right then we should all be Christians because they are the majority in this world.

hahah So you also hve doubts on Zayrat e Ashura :!!!:

Allah Allah here comes a lebanese fadhullayi.. where should i run.

• Veteran Member

hahah So you also hve doubts on Zayrat e Ashura :!!!:

Allah Allah here comes a lebanese fadhullayi.. where should i run.

No I don't have doubts and my opinion is irrelevant here I was just shown you how embarrassing your argument is. If you have a weak reason why you disagree with him like the one above then people will automatically sympathize with the Sayyed(ra) without even listening to him.

No I don't have doubts and my opinion is irrelevant here I was just shown you how embarrassing your argument is. If you have a weak reason why you disagree with him like the one above then people will automatically sympathize with the Sayyed(ra) without even listening to him.

zayrat e ashura is a weak reason :huh:

• Veteran Member

zayrat e ashura is a weak reason :huh:

Don't try to twist words you saying the Sayyad went against the majority is weak reason . By the way I just realized that you have no idea what the Sayyed said because he never doubted ziyaret Ashura or the incident of the door he just raised some questions on some of the details . I strongly suggest you know what the person said before you criticize him. Because it shows your disagreement is based on hatred not on logic nor proof.

Don't try to twist words you saying the Sayyad went against the majority is weak reason . By the way I just realized that you have no idea what the Sayyed said because he never doubted ziyaret Ashura or the incident of the door he just raised some questions on some of the details . I strongly suggest you know what the person said before you criticize him. Because it shows your disagreement is based on hatred not on logic nor proof.

Oh ya.. his doubt ws just like hw wahabis doubt greatness of prophet or imam ali. lol

He ws openly trashed all around the world. from every mimbar i went to . But overall its okay for u to hve strong defense for him. Along with that i end this bc i dont want to get into war for 2 reasons first i dont give a dam about his view 2nd i ve more important goal in life. hmm i should also pooint out that my islamic teacher ws the grandson of a lebanse ayatollah ..

so bak off i ve met crazy fadhulllayi all my life but i hve no desire to fight. :)

Edited by Aftahb
  • Veteran Member

Oh ya.. his doubt ws just like hw wahabis doubt greatness of prophet or imam ali. lol

He ws openly trashed all around the world. from every mimbar i went to . But overall its okay for u to hve strong defense for him. Along with that i end this bc i dont want to get into war for 2 reasons first i dont give a dam about his view 2nd i ve more important goal in life. hmm i should also pooint out that my islamic teacher ws the grandson of a lebanse ayatollah ..

so bak off i ve met crazy fadhulllayi all my life but i hve no desire to fight. :)

Your hatred and emotions have to much control over you brother and if you didn't care you would have never posted. Anyways you just made more people interested in Sayyed for your blind hatred of him. This will be my last post because I thought I was going to have a intellectual discussion but your intentions are clear slander and spreading lies.

AHem Ahem Fadhl-Allah ahem ahem ..

If i say the truth ppl will fight me here. But nowadays i dont ve time for war. So lets just he was something who challenged something trillion times more powerful than his entire existence! :no:

No Personal Attacks allowed

The dust under his slipper is worth more than your entire family tree.

that is quite pathatic, you are making Mr Fadallah sound like he was some infallible imam.

also all this hate for mr fadaalla makes me want to read what he actully wrote and see what he was really implying

Edited by No body
  • Advanced Member

He was a true usooli who did not let exceptions overtake usool unlike most of the other maraji who do not practise what they teach or were taught. It does not mean he was right and all others are wrong .

His father himself considered him a muqassir and people thought his father himself was a muqassir.

• Advanced Member

I don't hold the different view, I think the truth is he held views on some issues that contradicted most mainstream Shi'ah scholars.

Amongst them were his views on (not) sending lana'ah on the idols of Quraysh, the incident of the door (not conclusive I know), Ziayarat e Ashura not being valid/correct, belief that it's acceptable to join sunnis in tarawih prayers and some other oddities.

I think Bashir Hussain Najafi (look him up online) was very staunch in his opposition to the stance of Fadhlallah and there is somehere a 40-signatory document from senior clerics condeming him.

Read, research then make your own mind up but don't be swayed by staunch supporters of his or me. End of the day you're responsible for ensuring your aquaid is correct as much as possible, not anyone else.

ALI

bruv, u use bare big words....

1) whats lana'ah.

2) whats the incident of teh door

3) whats ziyarat e ashura

4) can u give me a quick bio of bashir hussain najafi... just like when he was born/died... did he meat ali etc....

i guess thats it for now... lol

Salams,

wilayat al faqih = guardianship of a qualified scholar.

taqlid = following a qualified scholar.

marja = qualified scholar who is followed.

During the acculturation of our 12th Imam (ATF), we refer towards our qualified scholars for guidance towards learning and practicing Islam.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

WS

(and Kismet 110 stop misguiding people on this board and keep a 1000 ft away from me).

when u say "guardianship" of a qualified scholar, what do u mean? guardianship as in someone looking over him, caring for hm etc?

omg i guess u ppl here r thinking im so dumb hey?

also what does ATF mean?

and also who is the 12th imam? and what is he? i mean... what was his role? what did he do?

hmm i should also pooint out that my islamic teacher ws the grandson of a lebanse ayatollah ..

what does ayatolah mean?

ive heard this word b4, but dont know what it means.....

im guessing its some persons name right?

He was a true usooli who did not let exceptions overtake usool unlike most of the other maraji who do not practise what they teach or were taught. It does not mean he was right and all others are wrong .

His father himself considered him a muqassir and people thought his father himself was a muqassir.

whats a muqassir?

omg will ppl stop using these non-english words!!!!!!! lol

• Advanced Member

unlike most of the other maraji who do not practise what they teach or were taught.

^^ Another tohmat (lie) about our pious scholars. You are on the sirat of Abu Jahal and not Ali (as).

when u say "guardianship" of a qualified scholar, what do u mean? guardianship as in someone looking over him, caring for hm etc?

Yes and also as in a leader and guide.

also what does ATF mean?

ATF is short of a supplication in Arabic which means "may God hasten his arrival".

and also who is the 12th imam? and what is he? i mean... what was his role? what did he do?

Our 12th Infallible Imam (ATF) is our leader and master of the time. He is from the progeny of the Holy Prophet (S). His role is to bring our religion Islam to its original form. Remove what has been added and bring back what has been forgotten. According to the words of our Holy Prophet (S) he will come and fill this earth with peace and justice.

what does ayatolah mean?

ive heard this word b4, but dont know what it means.....

im guessing its some persons name right?

Ayatulah means someone when you look at him reminds you of God.

whats a muqassir?

muqassir means someone who "reduces the status" of the Infallibe Ahlul Bait (as). Its is wrongly used by those who wrongly attribute things to Ahlul Bait (as) which most Shias refuse to accept.

WS

Brother before we jump to Firaudeen of Islam, you have to work on Usol a deen first.

Usol E deen are: Tawheed (Believe in Oneness of Allah), Adl (Justice), Nabuwah (Prophethood), Imamat, Qiyamat (Judgment day).

12th Imam (as) comes under the Imamat.

Brother you have to read alottt more before you reach Islamic Jurisprudence (Fiqh) for which you choose a Marja (Ex. Ayatuallah Faduallah was a Marja).

Marja's have the most understanding of rules of Haram and Halal in Islam, as they go through extensive studying of Quran, and Ahlulbayt (as). Hence, we choose a Marja who guides us in these matters such as Prayer, Fasting, Hajj, etc

• Veteran Member

(salam)

Loony toons brother,

Welcome to Shiachat :) God bless you for asking questions. First of all, i'd like to ask are you new to Islam/Shi'ism? Or just re-igniting your Muslim faith? (you don't have to answer).

We, in the Shi'a school of thought, follow the teachings of the Holy Prophet (pbuh) and his Holy household (ahlulbayt) (as) as related to us through the Sunnah (actions and teachings of the prophet and family of prophet) via hadiths (sayings of the prophet and family of prophet) and via the Qu'ran.

You have to understand that interpreting the Qu'ranic verses and hadiths (sayings) to a just degree requires a very high level of knowledge, thus the majority of Shi'a do what is called Taqlid. Which is simply to 'follow' a very high level scholar (marja) in matters of Fiqh (jurisprudence) e.g. how to do wudhu, how to do jummah numaaz, how to pray, what are the rules of marriage, is muslic allowed etc etc. The list goes on.

The reason we do this is because we believe that we are not knowledgeable enough to disect the many fiqh issues through the Qu'ran and Hadith thus we leave it to the knowledgeable scholars, who also believe that the layman should do taqlid on fiqhi matters.

Please bro, tell me if you're not understanding any of this so we can elaborate more on the subject.

Now most of the shi'a who do taqlid, do taqlid of ONE Marja (high level scholar). This is due to belief that one should select the most knowledgeable scholar of the time, there are even rules on how to do so.

FadlAllah is just ONE of the Marja. That is who he is in simplistic terms. So on the thread you were reading some one probably did Taqlid of FadlAllah, that is all.

Now having said all of this, there are still shi'a who believe that Taqlid is not wajib and not essential at all. They are usually termed as 'akhbari'. They would rather take a bigger role in the dissection of such issues via hadith translating etc.

So what really matters here is: THE FIQH WE APPLY IN OUR LIVES and HOW WE OBTAIN THESE APPLICATIONS.

That is what it is in simplistic terms. That is all I do Taqlid for - Fiqh.

Please tell me if you're understanding or not bro :)

(if i've written something wrong, SCers correct me)

(wasalam)