Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Auqab

Why Should I Do Taqleed?

Rate this topic

If i have a doubt i ask the alim of my local islamic center, if i cant find him then i ask the alim of a nearby center. If i am unable to get an answer, i ask someone knowledgeable or just search it online (al islam, SC, etc). So my point is, never in my life have i ever felt the need to consult a marja. So, do i really need to do anyones taqleed?

Sallam Alykum,

taqleed makes it a whole lot easier. You have all the rulings written for you in their book and its just simple that way. No need to keep asking people and whatnot.

According to Sayed Sistani:

It is necessary for a Muslim to believe in the fundamentals of faith with his own insight and understanding, and he cannot follow anyone in this respect i.e. he cannot accept the word of another who knows, simply because he has said it. However, one who has faith in the true tenets of Islam, and manifests it by his deeds, is a Muslim and Mo'min, even if he is not very profound, and the laws related to a Muslim will hold good for him. In matters of religious laws, apart from the ones clearly defined, or ones which are indisputable, a person must:

• either be a Mujtahid (jurist) himself, capable of inferring and deducing from the religious sources and evidence;
  • or if he is not a Mujtahid himself, he should follow one, i.e. he should act accordi ng to the verdicts (Fatwa) of the Mujtahid;
  • or if he is neither a Mujtahid nor a follower (Muqallid), he should act on such precaution which should assure him that he has fulfilled his religious obligation. For example, if some Mujtahids consider an act to be haraam, while others say that it is not, he should not perform that act. Similarly, if some Mujtahid consider an act to be obligatory (Wajib) while others consider it to be recommended (Mustahab), he should perform it. Therefore, it is obligatory upon those persons who are neither Mujta hids, nor able to act on precautionary measures (Ihtiyat), to follow a Mujtahid.

http://sistani.org/i...&id=48&pid=2116

Edited by Repentant

Ok so can some one tell me why marjas has different opinions on many things

It isn't really that much difference. You will rarely find someone who rules one thing forbidden while another rules it permissible. A lot of their rulings, possibly over 90% are pretty much the same.

But why 10% also?

It might not even be 5% difference, they have different teachers and some might have used certain books while studying and others used different books. This could be one factor. Might use difference hadiths (from the hundreds of thousands that exist?). But we don't look at that 10% or 5% and say this is right or wrong, they are all right. You can switch from marjae to marjae, even those who have some differences, and you are still in the safe. They are not infallible. Some are bound to make mistakes in their rulings, but they are so pure in their intentions that inshAllah Allah (swt) forgives them and forgives us who follow them. They are not like the Imams (as) where the Last Imam (as) would agree with any of the other 11 Imams (as) and not differentiate even 0.1%.

Short answer is you don't have to. You can learn (over time) the rulings yourself, practice precaution if unsure and do as you've been doing (consulting people you trust who are better informed) as and when the need arises.

ALI

But why 10% also?

The difference arises due to their teachings and the in-depth analysis they would do on matters regarding our Jurisprudence.

They are not wrong, it is just that their fatwa is based on a certain angle from which they perceive the matter from the other Marja.

As an example, think of an academic environment, where the top-tier Scholars and Intellectual Thinkers would analyse and discuss Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

Since all these are extremely accomplished and smart, they will give their opinions on the Theory of Relativity based on their teachings and their own criteria of the in-depth analysis. None of them maybe wrong, but still some differences would arise due to the angle from which they saw the Theory.

Thank you all for the answers. So from what I understand, I dont have to do taqleed as long as I have someone knowledgeable to answer my questions or I take necessary precautions.

The difference arises due to their teachings and the in-depth analysis they would do on matters regarding our Jurisprudence.

They are not wrong, it is just that their fatwa is based on a certain angle from which they perceive the matter from the other Marja.

As an example, think of an academic environment, where the top-tier Scholars and Intellectual Thinkers would analyse and discuss Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

Since all these are extremely accomplished and smart, they will give their opinions on the Theory of Relativity based on their teachings and their own criteria of the in-depth analysis. None of them maybe wrong, but still some differences would arise due to the angle from which they saw the Theory.

But isnt it our belief that the marjae taqleed are in communication with our Imam (atjf)?