Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

MUAWVIA AND USURY

Nisai, Malik ibn Anas and others have quoted from Ata’ ibn Yasar that he said: “Muawiyah sold a vessel full of gold or Dirham in exchange for more than its weight”. Abu Dorda told him that: “I heard from the Prophet (s.a.w.) who prohibited this act, it should be sold in exchange for its same weight”. Muawiyah said: “I do not find any fault with it”. Abu Dorda said:

"ãä íÚÐÑäí ãä ãÚÇæíÉ¿ ÇäÇ ÇÎÈÑå Úä ÑÓæá Çááå (Õáí Çááå Úáíå æ Âáå) æ åæ íÎÈÑäí Úä ÑÇíå¡ áÇ ÇÓÇ˜ä˜ ÈÇÑÖ ÇäÊ ÈåÇ"

“Who can account for this act of Muawiyah? I tell him the opinion of the Prophet (s.a.w.) and he tells me his opinion! I won’t stay in the area that you are”. Then he came to Medina and went to Umar ibn Khattab and told him the story. Umar wrote to Muawiyah that:

[1]"áÇ ÊÈÚ ÐᘠÇáÇ ãËáÇ ÈãËá¡ æÒäÇ ÈæÒä"

“Just exchange it for the good of the same kind and the same weight (without any increasing)”.

Bayhaqi and others also have quoted from Hakim ibn Jabir from Ibadah ibn Samit that he said: “I heard from the Prophet (s.a.w.) who said that: “silver should be exchanged for the good of the same kind and the same weight, gold should be exchanged for the good of the same kind and the same weight, until he mentioned salt and said: salt should be exchanged for the good of the same kind and the same weight”. Muawiyah said that:

"Çä åÐÇ áÇ íÞæá ÔíÆÇ".

“His speech in not a good one and he speaks nonsense”.

Ibadah said that: Allah is my witness that I heard it from the Prophet (s.a.w.) myself”.

Nisai writes in “al- Sunan al- Kubra” that Ibadah said:

"Çäí æ Çááå ãÇ ÇÈÇáí Çä áÇ Ç˜æä ÈÇÑÖ í˜æä ÈåÇ ãÚÇæíÉ".

“I swear to Allah that it is not important to me that I do not live where Muawiyah is”.

Ibn Asakir has said that: “Ibadah said:

[2]"Çäí æ Çááå ãÇ ÇÈÇáí Çä ǘæä ÈÇÑÖ˜ã åÐå"

“I swear to Allah that it is not important to me that I do not live in your area”.

It is necessary to be mentioned that prohibition of usury and this matter that it is from major sins, is an essential part of pure Islam and it is proved by Quran, tradition of the Prophet (s.a.w.) and general agreement of scholars.[3]

[1] - Muwatta`, vol. 2, p. 59 and vol. 2, p. 634, tradition no. 33; al- Sunan al- Kubra, Nisai, vol. 7, p. 279 and vol. 4, p. 30, tradition no. 6164.

[2] - Musnad Ahmad, vol. 5, p. 319 and vol. 6, p. 436, tradition no. 22217; al- Sunan al- Kubra, Nisai, vol. 7, p. 277 and vol. 4, p. 29, tradition no. 6159; Tarikh Medina Damascus, vol. 7, p. 206 and

vol. 26, p. 176, no. 3071; AND in Mukhtasar of history of Damscus, vol. 11, p. 302.

[3] - Shafi'i Shahrudi, A comprehensive selection of Al- Ghadir, p. 979.