Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Sistani On Menstruation

Rate this topic

shiasoul

• Advanced Member

499. 2. if the number of days in which blood shows signs of Hayz exceeds her habitual duration, then she will take her habitual duration as Hayz, and the rest as Istihaza.

Rule 400 onwards describes istihaza.

Therefore, I was supposed to do a Ghusl before every prayer.

• Advanced Member

499. 2. if the number of days in which blood shows signs of Hayz exceeds her habitual duration, then she will take her habitual duration as Hayz, and the rest as Istihaza.

Rule 400 onwards describes istihaza.

Therefore, I was supposed to do a Ghusl before every prayer.

Rather, I was supposed to perform one ghusl for the whole day since it was mutawassita and perform wudhu for all the other prayers.

• Advanced Member

You should send a question to the marja.

The hard limit for the menstruation is ten days. And if the last of the seven days is part of your menstrual cycle (and you are absolutely certain about this), then the eight day could also be considered as such.

But if you wish further clarification, then go ahead and send a question to your marja. And act on his fatwa.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Salaaam, gonna bump this since it half answers my question.

My wife had her haydth for 10 days, bleeding continued and she treated it as istihaza.... The bleeding continued on an off (with 1 or 2 day gaps) so she continued to treat it as istihaza.

Now, it has been a full month, it is the point where she recognizes it as regular mensus in both her schedule and its consistency.

Is this to be treated as haydth or istihaza? We are wondering because technically the bleeding never stopped.

Jazakhallah khair

• Advanced Member

Salaamun `alaykum

shiasoul

You are mistaken in your conclusion. You had to treat the eighth day as HayD as well. Please look at #499, and also #487 and #488 (whichever of those apply to you).

Ali_Ibn_Hussein

Yes she is to treat her habitual days as HayD. Also if this has been happening over a month and she has not delivered recently, it would be worthwhile visiting a doctor.

By the way, if she was observing a set cycle earlier, such as fixed duration usually, and it was less than ten, she would have to offer qaDa for any prayer she might have missed in the days besides her habit (that is, what remained of ten). This is because the bleeding exceeded ten days. Had it stopped by the end of ten, she would have had to treat all of it as Hayd (if it bore the signs).

• Advanced Member

Additonal question/clarification:

Haydth is classified as a minimum of 3 days. What if she starts bleeding habitual time, but it stops after 1 or 2 days. We know that now it has stopped it is istihaza due to the time range, does she make qadha for her prayers if she had been treating it as haydth?

• Advanced Member

QaDa would have to be performed for those days. Just to make sure though, did the bleeding commence during her regular days, or was there some sort of bleeding from before that period as well? This will change the answer, hence asking.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about this, i dont really have a habit of fixed time, sometimes its 8 days and sometimes its 10 or 11 days, and from what i understand Sistani says that if your period is more than your fixed duration then you have to do ghusl. so in my case what do i do?

• Advanced Member

If you have neither a fixed date nor a fixed duration, then if it doesn't exceed ten, treat all of it as HayD. When it exceeds ten and you are unable to distinguish between blood of HayD and of istiHaDah, then adopt the number of days that your mother or sister have a habit of. And if it exceeds ten and you are able to differentiate between HayD and istiHaDah bleeding, then you take all of the blood with HayD signs for HayD; the rest is istiHaDah.

If you have neither a fixed date nor a fixed duration, then if it doesn't exceed ten, treat all of it as HayD. When it exceeds ten and you are unable to distinguish between blood of HayD and of istiHaDah, then adopt the number of days that your mother or sister have a habit of. And if it exceeds ten and you are able to differentiate between HayD and istiHaDah bleeding, then you take all of the blood with HayD signs for HayD; the rest is istiHaDah.

thanks! :)

• 4 years later...
  • Advanced Member
On 10/8/2012 at 9:50 PM, phoenix said:

then if it doesn't exceed ten, treat all of it as HayD.

According to Grand Ayatollah Sistani, the period of Hayz (menses) is not less than 3 days and not more than 10 days and even if the blood discharged falls short of 3 days even by a small measure of time, that blood will not be considered as Hayz.

The first three days of bleeding should be continuous. Therefore, if blood is seen for two days and then interrupted for one day and then seen again, it will not be Hayz. Continuity of blood does not mean that during the three days blood should flow out continuously, rather if the blood is present within the vagina, it would be sufficient.

If a woman sees blood continuously for three days and then becomes pure, if she sees blood again, and if the total number of days in which blood was seen does not exceed ten days, the days in which blood flowed will be counted as of Hayz and on the middle days during which she remained pure, she can act like pure women.

If a woman sees blood for less than three days and becomes pure, after which she sees blood for three days or more having the signs of menses which were mentioned before, the second blood only will be Hayz.

If blood is seen for more than ten days, the extra days should be considered as Istihaza. See Islamic Laws for more details.