In the Name of God بسم الله

Loving For The Sake Of God.

Rate this topic

What does it mean to love someone for the sake of God? I've heard people say that if you love someone for the sake of God, your relationship will last.

I've never really understood this though. Does that mean, you actually love someone because you should, rather than because you want to?

tumblr_m9dkphmfeS1qbrh2co1_400.jpg

• Veteran Member

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

I love the poster. Looking forward to the responses, Insh'Allah. But from my limited understanding, maybe when it is said for the sake of Allah, meaning all the reward you get out of it will be from Allah swt. When Allah swt tells you to love a mo2main for example, because that pleases Him to make a mo2main happy. Allahu a3lam.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Hubb fillAh (love for sake of Allah) and Bughz fillAh (animosity for sake of Allah) are considered one of the basic tenets of Islam (tawwala and tabarra) and are also part of Al Hamd. First few chapters of Usool al Kafi are also devoted to this.

Also some ppl in west make us to believe in Christian idea of 'hate the sin, not the sinner'; Islam teaches totally opposite to it, as there is a Hadith which goes like; a doer of good is better than the act of goodness, and the doer of bad is worst than the act.

To answer your question, you should love a practicing momin (a true submitter to Allah) even though you may dislike some apparent features of him. And you should dislike a non-momin (a transgresor to Allah) even though some of his apparent features may seem beautiful to you.

That's why I wonder how come some momin brother and sisters end up marrying Sunnis, Christians etc, how come someone could love the enemies of Allah, Prophet, and Ahlulbayt?

I'll try posting some from Kafi once I get a chance.

Edited by Waiting for HIM

To answer your question, you should love a practicing momin (a true submitter to Allah) even though you may dislike some apparent features of him. And you should dislike a non-momin (a transgresor to Allah) even though some of his apparent features may seem beautiful to you.

That's why I wonder how come some momin brother and sisters end up marrying Sunnis, Christians etc, how come someone could love the enemies of Allah, Prophet, and Ahlulbayt?

I'll try posting some from Kafi once I get a chance.

Thank-you for your reply

Yeah that makes sense, as in overlook the bad in them, for the sake of God, and love them because they are a good person.

Please do. :)

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

I love the poster. Looking forward to the responses, Insh'Allah. But from my limited understanding, maybe when it is said for the sake of Allah, meaning all the reward you get out of it will be from Allah swt. When Allah swt tells you to love a mo2main for example, because that pleases Him to make a mo2main happy. Allahu a3lam.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

salam,

Yes, I could see how that would make the relationship last, because of the will to please Allah, through loving his devotees on earth.

Thank-you for your reply ! ;)

• Veteran Member

It could mean that :donno: although everything is for our sake surely, not Gods, its always about us. Maybe a truer way of putting it for some people would be to love people for your sake, because not to is denying your true nature.

Also some ppl in west make us to believe in Christian idea of 'hate the sin, not the sinner'; Islam teaches totally opposite to it, as there is a Hadith which goes like; a doer of good is better than the act of goodness, and the doer of bad is worst than the act.

Hmm, thats doesnt make sense to me. For that to be true it would mean that a person is constantly that act - constantly in a state of being defined by something that is not happening once its stopped happening. But someone who has murdered isnt a) always a murderer or B) just a person who has murdered either. Plus we all have the capacity to murder, for instance, and we all have the capacity to be kind, for instance, so if the act doesnt matter then we're all equal in our sins whether we do them or not? i find that idea interesting, but im not sure its Islamic...

• Advanced Member

The way I interpret the saying is that you should love someone because of all the goodness you see in them or for what he/she is/stands for. If she/he is religious and good then you should love her/him because Allah swt has praised religiosity and goodness.