Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Zehranaqvi

Project On Hijab

Rate this topic

AOA,

I have been assigned an EPG project and i have decided to do the project on ''The beauty behind the veil - prospective of the world and a Hijabi'' to complete the project i need to ask some questions to the hijabis. i will be grateful if you could answer these questions :)

1) how do you feel when you wear the hijab?

2) Would you still wear it if it was not obligatory in islam?

3) do you feel oppressed?

4) for those who live in the west, is it hard to maintain hijab while living in the west? has anyone ever been rude to you just because you wear hijab?

i will be glad if you could answer me thinking you are answering a non- muslim who thinks that islam oppresses women :D

also does anyone know where i can start a forum for non- muslims asking their views on hijab?

Thankyou for your replies ^_^

:)WS

Edited by Zehranaqvi

It's hilarious how some Westerners preach that not being a sex object means your oppressed. Think about it, a woman willingly covering her hair because she doesn't want to be 'eye candy' for men means she's oppressed? If you're not a sexual object, you have no value as a person and are oppressed? What hilariously assbackwards logic.

You may be interested in this video:

Translation:

"It is important that you are aware that the hijab that has been prescribed by Islam is for the remembrance/wariness of your value. Every right that a man has a woman has. The right to vote, the right to receive votes, the right to own (property, finances, etc) in every form. In every field a right that a man has a woman has as well. However, there are things for men that are restricted to prevent what would lead to the corruption from the situations that go against the chastity of a woman, and there are things for women that are restricted that would lead to the deterioration of a woman's value in society. [The religion of] Islam intended to keep the humane nature of a woman protected, so that she is not a toy in the hands of men."

Edited by Muhammad Ibrahim

Salam,

I am not a sister myself, but as Muhammad Ibrahim said above, the hijab is a sign to remind us all a woman's value. Not wearing a hijab to conform to the West's sexual objectification of women is completely against the principles of Islam. Islam teaches us that women have value, that they have personalities, intellect, capabilities, etc, and that they should be measured by their virtues and vices, not how sexually appealing they are to men. That video of Ayatollah Khomeini pretty much hit the nail right on the head. The hijab has also been adopted by many feminist and women's rights groups as a sign of feminism.

(salam)

7852246880_20a1509eb5.jpg

Apply to your project this simple yet piercing metaphor in relation to hijab... :)

As well as this one:

Male-Dominated-Culture.jpg

Salam, I just wanted to let you know I made a grammatical mistake in my post about your hijab project.

What my sentence says: "It's hilarious how some Westerners preach that not being a sex object means your oppressed"

What it should say: "It's hilarious how some Westerners preach that not being a sex object means you're oppressed"

Also wanted to share this video with you as you may find it interesting:

(salam)

First of all, Great Project idea ;) Inshallah it is successful.

Now to answer your question: Firstly, I think it's incumbent to mention something that is often overlooked. when answering such questions as the ones you posed above. Many times, I hear responses from Muhijaba, as to the reason why they wear hijab, or why they honor the duty of wearing hijab. And, almost all the time we get excellent responses like: "Oh, I wear it as an act of protest!" or..."A declaration of my independence or freedom" etc... Such responses are great! I am in no way dismissing them. But, we must remember the most profound reason as to why we observe Hijab. The reason why, important female figures, like, Fatima Al-Zahra, or Zaynab (as) were denied their Hijab, and withstood oppression for the sake of maintaining their Hijab. Their most important message about the Hijab, was their devotion to God. So, as I see fit, the primary, and default response from every Muhijaba out there, as to the reason why they wear Hijab...should be: As a compliance to God's orders. Simple, as that. That is why I wear hijab. At the end of the day, if God says something that is detrimental, that is uncomfortable, that doesn't help me in society, that doesn't do anything special, I should still OBEY it.

Now, for the secondary reasons:

Refusing to be a part of this industrial game, that objectifies women. Not liking the fact that a woman's body and beauty is used to sell things, and big amounts of money are profited from such things like: plastic surgery, fashion industries, etc..by exploiting these women and reducing them to their physical existence. We possess a spirit and soul, and this essence is what defines us, not the color of our hair, eyes, or the shape of our bodies!

And, ANOTHER really, really, really, I repeat REALLY important reason and beauty of the hijab, is that it protects marital bonds. Which will protect families, creating healthy children, and producing a healthy society, overall. Women covering, and men lowering their gaze, if all sides of the equation were met, divorce rates would be significantly lower.

Fi Amanillah

Edited by jannahismygoal

I also don't know if it will help you with your project or not, but I thought I would share it just in case:

The Quran gives virtually equal rights to both men and women.

Surah Al Imran, Ayah 195:

"Then their Lord answered them, ‘I do not waste the work of any worker among you, whether male or female; you are all on the same footing. So those who migrated and were expelled from their homes, and were tormented in My way, and those who fought and were killed —I will surely absolve them of their misdeeds and I will admit them into gardens with streams running in them, as a reward from Allah, and Allah—with Him is the best of rewards.’"

Surah At-Tawba, Ayah 71:

"But the faithful, men and women, are comrades of one another: they bid what is right and forbid what is wrong and maintain the prayer, give the zakat, and obey Allah and His Apostle. It is they to whom Allah will soon grant His mercy. Indeed Allah is all-mighty, all-wise."

Surah Ghafir, Ayah 40:

"Whoever commits a misdeed shall not be requited except with its like, but whoever acts righteously, whether male or female, should they be faithful —such shall enter paradise, provided therein without any reckoning."

Surah An-Nisa (Chapter about Women), Ayah 124:

"And whoever does righteous deeds, whether male or female, should they be faithful —such shall enter paradise and they will not be wronged [so much as] the speck on a date-stone."

Surah An-Nahl, Ayah 97:

"Whoever acts righteously, [whether] male or female, should they be faithful, —We shall revive him with a good life and pay them their reward by the best of what they used to do."

Surah An-Nisa (Chapter about Women), Ayah 32:

"Do not covet the advantage which Allah has given some of you over others. To men belongs a share of what they have earned, and to women a share of what they have earned. (Envy not one another) but ask Allah for His grace. Indeed Allah has knowledge of all things."

Surah Ar-Rum, Ayah 21:

"And among His signs is this: He created for you mates from amongst yourselves (males as mates for females and vice versa) that you might find tranquility and peace in them, and he has put love and kindness among you. There are indeed signs in that for a people who reflect."

Surah An-Nisa (Chapter about Women), Ayah 19:

"O you who have faith! It is not lawful for you to inherit women forcibly, and do not press them to take away part of what you have given them, unless they commit a gross indecency. Consort with them in an honorable manner; and should you dislike them, maybe you dislike something while Allah invests it with an abundant good."

Surah An-Nur, Ayah 4:

"And those who launch a charge against chaste women, and produce not four witnesses (to support their allegations) - flog them with eighty stripes; and reject their evidence ever after: for such men are wicked transgressors"

Surah An-Nisa (Chapter about Women), Ayah 77:

"Unto the men (of a family) belongs a share of that which parents and near kindred leave, and unto the women a share of that which parents and near kindred leave, whether it be little or much, a legal share."

Surah An-Nisa (Chapter about Women), Ayah 34 (The Ayah people say allows Muslim men to beat their wives:

"As for those [wives] whose misconduct you fear, [first] advise them, and [if ineffective] keep away from them in the bed, and, as the last resort, beat them."

Surah An-Nisa (Chapter about Women), Ayah 128:

"If a wife fears cruelty or desertion on her husband's part, there is no blame on them if they arrange an amicable settlement between themselves; and such settlement is best. Even though man's soul is prone to greed; but if you are virtuous and Godwary, Allah is indeed well aware of what you do."

The Bible blames Eve for the original sin: (genesis 3:12-16) "and the man (Adam) said, the woman (Eve) whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat. And the Lord god said unto the woman, what is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, the serpent beguiled me, and I did eat..unto the woman He said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."

In the Quran, both Adam and Eve share the blame for eating from the tree. This can be seen in the Quran in such verses Al-Baqarah (2):36, Al-A'raf (7):22-24. They were also both forgiven by God Almighty for this sin.

Quran: "O Adam dwell with your wife in the garden and enjoy as you wish but approach not this tree or you run into harm and transgression. Then Satan whispered to them in order to reveal to them their shame that was hidden from them and he said: 'your Lord only forbade you this tree lest you become angels or such beings as live forever.' And he swore to them both that he was their sincere adviser. So by deceit he brought them to their fall: when they tasted the tree their shame became manifest to them and they began to sew together the leaves of the garden over their bodies. And their Lord called unto them: 'did I not forbid you that tree and tell you that Satan was your avowed enemy?' They said: 'our Lord we have wronged our own souls and if You forgive us not and bestow not upon us Your mercy, we shall certainly be lost'" (7:19-23)

The Quran also condemns the Arabs who used to bury newborn babies alive if they were born female because they considered females inferior:

Surah At-Takwir:

"{6} when the seas are set afire,

{7} when the souls are assorted,

{8} when the girl buried-alive will be asked

{9} for what sin she was killed.

{10} When the records [of deeds] are unfolded,

{11} when the sky is stripped off,

{12} when hell is set ablaze,

{13} when paradise is brought near,

{14} then a soul shall know what it has readied [for itself]."

Surah As-Saaffat:

"{153} Does He prefer sons to daughters?

{154} What is the matter with you? How do you judge?

{155} Why do you not reflect?

{156} Or have you received some clear authority?

{157} Then bring your scripture, if what you say is true."

There are a few differences in issues regarding marriage:

Surah Al-Baqara, Ayah 228:

"Divorced women shall wait by themselves for three periods of purity [after menses], and it is not lawful for them to conceal what Allah has created in their wombs if they believe in Allah and the Last Day; and their husbands have a greater right to restore them during this [duration], if they desire reconcilement. The wives have rights similar to the obligations upon them, in accordance with honorable norms; and men have a degree above them, and Allah is all-mighty and all-wise."

The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said in his last sermon:

"Oh, people! It is true that you have certain rights with regard to women, but they also have rights over you. Remember that you have taken them as your wives only under Allah's trust and with His permission. If they abide by your right then to them belongs the right to be fed and clothed in kindness. Do treat your women well and be kind to them, for they are your partners and committed helpers. And it is your right that they do not befriend anyone of whom you do not approve (is an enemy), as well as never to be unchaste."

The Quran also talks all throughout the Quran about the significance of the sun and how it sustains life and is of extreme value and a sign of Allah. Then toward the end of the Quran is refers to the sun as a 'she' or 'her', which is of extreme importance if you read through the Quran and see just how much importance and value is placed on the sun.

Surah Al-Shams:

"{1} By the sun and her forenoon splendor,

{2} by the moon when he follows her,

{3} by the day when it reveals her,

{4} by the night when it covers her,

{5} by the sky and Him who built it,

{6} by the earth and Him who spread it,

{7} by the soul and Him who fashioned it,

{8} and inspired it with [discernment between] its virtues and vices:

{9} one who purifies it is felicitous,

{10} and one who betrays it fails."

The other obvious difference is in the way each may dress. Men have to cover their entire bodies except for the elbow down the fingers (of the hand) and their hair and necks, whereas women also have to cover their forearms, hair and neck.

Surah Al-Ahzab, Ayah 59:

"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women that they should cast their outer garments over their bodies [when going out] so that they should be known and not molested"

Qur'ân: "And the believers, men and women, are protecting friends one of another; they enjoin the right and forbid the wrong, and they establish worship and they pay the poor-due, and they obey Allâh and His messenger. As for these, Allâh will have mercy on them. Lo! Allâh is mighty, wise." (9):71

Qur'ân: "And they (women) have rights similar to those of men over them in a just manner" (2):228

Qur'ân: "Whoso does an ill deed, he will be repaid the like thereof, while whoso does right, whether male or female, and is a believer, (all) such will enter the garden, where they will be nourished without stint." (40):40.

Bible: "Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." (1 Timothy 2:11-14)

Bible says: "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." (1 Corinthians 14:34)

Bible says: "Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, as christ also is the head of the church, he himself being the savior of the body. But as the church is subject to christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything." (Ephesians 5:22-24)

Qur'ân: "And of His signs is this: he created for you spouses from yourselves that you might find tranquillity in them, and he ordained between you love and mercy. Lo, herein indeed are signs for folk who reflect." (30):21

The Prophet Muhammad sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: "The best believers are the best in conduct, and the best of you are those who are best to their wives." (Tirmidhi) narrated by Abû Hurayrah

Bible: "A bad wife brings humiliation, downcast looks, and a wounded heart. Slack of hand and weak of knee is the man whose wife fails to make him happy. Woman is the origin of sin, and it is through her that we all die. Do not leave a leaky cistern to drip or allow a bad wife to say what she likes. If she does not accept your control, divorce her and send her away" (Ecclesiasticus 25:25).

Qur'ân: "...But consort with them in kindness, for if you hate them it may happen that you hate a thing wherein Allâh has placed much good." (4):19

Bible: If a father / husband does not endorse his daughter's / wife's vows, all pledges made by her become null and void, in other words a woman cannot make any contract on her own without the permission of a husband or father: "but if her father forbids her when he hears about it, none of her vows or the pledges by which she obligated herself will stand ....Her husband may confirm or nullify any vow she makes or any sworn pledge to deny herself" (Numbers. 30:2-15)

In Islam a woman's wealth is her own and her husband has no rights over it:

Qur'ân: "...and covet not the thing in which Allâh has made some of you excel others. Unto men a fortune from that which they have earned, and unto women a fortune from that which they have earned. (Envy not one another) but ask Allâh of his bounty. Verily! Allâh is knower of all things."(4):32.

Bible says: "A virgin who is raped must marry her rapist (if they are "found")- (Deut 22:28-29) "if a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives" Deuteronomy 22:28-30

Qur'ân: "And those who launch a charge against chaste women, and produce not four witnesses (to support their allegations) - flog them with eighty stripes; and reject their evidence ever after: for such men are wicked transgressors" (24:4)

The Bible blames Eve for the original sin: (genesis 3:12-16) "and the man (Adam) said, the woman (Eve) whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat. And the Lord god said unto the woman, what is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, the serpent beguiled me, and I did eat..unto the woman He said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."

In the Qur'ân, both Adam and Eve share the blame for eating from the tree. This can be seen in the Qur'ân in such verses al-Baqarah (2):36, al-A'raf (7):22-24. They were also both forgiven by God Almighty for this sin.

Qur'ân: "O Adam dwell with your wife in the garden and enjoy as you wish but approach not this tree or you run into harm and transgression. Then satan whispered to them in order to reveal to them their shame that was hidden from them and he said: 'your Lord only forbade you this tree lest you become angels or such beings as live forever.' And he swore to them both that he was their sincere adviser. So by deceit he brought them to their fall: when they tasted the tree their shame became manifest to them and they began to sew together the leaves of the garden over their bodies. And their Lord called unto them: 'did I not forbid you that tree and tell you that satan was your avowed enemy?' They said: 'our Lord we have wronged our own souls and if You forgive us not and bestow not upon us Your mercy, we shall certainly be lost' " (7:19-23).

The Bible says that giving birth to a female child makes a woman more "unclean" than if she had a male child. Leviticus 12:2-5 "Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, if a woman have conceived seed, and born a male child: then she shall be unclean seven days; according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean. And in the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised. And she shall then continue in the blood of her purifying thirty three days; she shall touch no hallowed thing, nor come into the sanctuary, until the days of her purifying be fulfilled. But if she bear a female child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying sixty six days."

Ecclesiastics 7:26-28 "and I find more bitter than death the woman who is a snare, whose heart is a trap and whose hands are chains. The man who pleases God will escape her, but the sinner she will ensnare....While I was still searching but not finding, I found one upright man among a thousand but not one upright woman among them all."

Qur'ân: "And their Lord has heard them (and he says): Verily! I suffer not the work of any worker, male or female, to be lost. You proceed one from another." (3):195.

Qur'ân: "And whoso does good works, whether of male or female, and he (or she) is a believer, such will enter paradise and they will not be wronged the dint in a date stone." The Noble Qur'ân, an-Nisâ (4):124.

Qur'ân: "Whosoever does right, whether male or female, and is a believer, him verily we shall quicken with good life, and We shall pay them a recompense in proportion to the best of what they used to do." (16):97.

"A man asked the prophet Muhammad sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam: 'whom should I honor most?' The prophet replied: 'Your mother'. 'And who comes next?' Asked the man. The prophet replied: 'Your mother'. 'And who comes next?' Asked the man. The prophet replied: 'Your mother'. 'And who comes next?' Asked the man. The prophet replied: 'Your father' "(Bukhari and Muslim).

Bible says that a woman must cover her head as a sign of man's authority over her:

"And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonours her head - it is just as though her head were shaved. If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or shaved off, she should cover her head. A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head" (1 Corinthians 11:3-10).

Bible: 1 corinthians 11:5-10: "But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head."

Bible: 1 corinthians 11:13: "Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto god (with her head) uncovered?"

The Qur'ân teaches that a woman must be covered out of modesty and to protect her from harassment:

Qur'ân: "Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty......And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms...." (24:30,31).

Qur'ân "O prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women that they should cast their outer garments over their bodies (when abroad) so that they should be known and not molested" (33:59).

According to the Bible (Numbers 27:1-11), widows and sisters don't inherit at all. Daughters can inherit only if their deceased father had no sons.

Qur'ân: "Unto the men (of a family) belongs a share of that which parents and near kindred leave, and unto the women a share of that which parents and near kindred leave, whether it be little or much, a legal share." (4):77.

Bible: Leviticus 15:19-30 "And if a woman have an issue (her period/menses), [and] her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean until the even. And every thing that she lieth upon in her separation shall be unclean: every thing also that she sitteth upon shall be unclean. And whosoever toucheth her bed shall wash his clothes, and bathe [himself] in water, and be unclean until the even. And whosoever toucheth any thing that she sat upon shall wash his clothes, and bathe [himself] in water, and be unclean until the even. And if it [be] on [her] bed, or on any thing whereon she sitteth, when he toucheth it, he shall be unclean until the even.....(It goes on and on)."

Salam. Great project. InshAllah all runs smoothly.

I will be more than happy to answer all your questions. :)

Happy. One word summarises how I feel when I wear the hijab and that is Happy. Happy that I am respected. Happy that I am following the footsteps of Fatimah' Alzahraa(as) and Lady Mary. Happy that I am obeying my Lord. Happy that I have chosen to be liberated from society's idea of beauty. Happy that I can walk down the street and people will know what religion I follow and what I preach. It is the best feeling in the world.

Ofcourse! The hijab is a headcovering which can help me not get too preoccupied with this life, and work for the next. It is something which symbolises my faith and grants me a means of self-respect and happiness to some extent.

Not at all. I feel it to be a blessing to women rather than a burden. After all how can I be opressed if I have taken it for myself to chose to wear the hijab? How can I be opressed if It grants me my rights and human dignity.

4) for those who live in the west, is it hard to maintain hijab while living in the west? has anyone ever been rude to you just because you wear hijab?

Living in the UK, I have been fortunate enough not to have experienced any extreme sort of hate, prejudice or even violence. Sometimes I recieve the odd look or stare, comment or criticism, which I have learnt the overlook, however I do try to explain my decision and the benefits of wearing the hijab to those who are willing to listen.

Batool.

Edited by Bint Al Sayed

I can't edit my post anymore, so I just wanted to add.. I can provide you with alot of pictures/posters of Hijab if you'd like

I would like to add pictures but i am afraid i am not allowed :( i just have to write 5000 words on the topic i have chosen :) thank you for the offer anyways :)

thank you all so much for your replies :) i will try to include every answer in my project InshaAllah :)

also does anyone know where i can make a forum for non-muslims to ask them there opinions on hijab?? :donno:

I would like to add pictures but i am afraid i am not allowed :( i just have to write 5000 words on the topic i have chosen :) thank you for the offer anyways :)

thank you all so much for your replies :) i will try to include every answer in my project InshaAllah :)

also does anyone know where i can make a forum for non-muslims to ask them there opinions on hijab?? :donno:

Unfortunately a lot of non-Muslim forums are flooded with trolls. Some of the biggest non-Muslim forums are the Gaia forums, Gamespot forums, IGN forums, etc.

I feel safe, no men looking and checking me out. I can find the perfect friends the ones that love you because of your personality and not because of your beauty.

if the rule was not created or if I did not hear of such thing then I would not wear it

there was a time, but I am over it now. it was something in my imagination that I felt slightly oppressed because there are many things that others my age can do that I cant. but looking back at it, the things that others did that I couldn't do were unnecessary.

actually I feel more comforable wearing it in the west than the middle east. In the west they give you much greater respect than in the West and I feel comfortable wearing it here In England than when I used to wear it in the middle east as people used to miss judge me. I remember when i was in the middle east and started wearing it, all of my friends dumped me on the day, however i found much better people. the friends that dumped me were muslim and arabic, the new friends I found were not arabic and they gave me much more respect and loved me because of my personality than my beauty.