Haydar Husayn

Barelvi Sunnis

Rate this topic

On 11/28/2015, 6:19:21, Sol 7 said:

We're doing what you do against the terrorists. Voicing our hate for them.

Nothing much else a bunch of 20something average citizens on the internet really can do when we have Jobs, Families, etc. 

I would gladly go to the Salafi Masjid near me and beat the [Edited Out] out of the Imam there with some friends to send a message that his community is not welcome. But the problem with that is it's sort of...illegal. 

What would you suggest?

I'm surprised you would even entertain the thought of beating the baloney out of your local Salafi Imam, lol. I thought Sufis were the most peaceful branch of Islam and would not hurt a fly.

Edited by ChristianVisitor

2 hours ago, ChristianVisitor said:

I'm surprised you would even entertain the thought of beating the baloney out of your local Salafi Imam, lol. I thought Sufis were the most peaceful branch of Islam and would not hurt a fly.

It's like beating up a Nazi. No one should care about what happens to them. 

If it's in protection of the people the Salafis would have harassed or killed. i.e. Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Seculars, Shi'a, Sufis, and Westerners in general. Would you just have them invade your country and try to bring everyone under their vein of Shariah? Would you have them riot over the simplest of things? Kill over cartoons and comments best ignored?  Go against everything Modern in this world?  No. We need to wake up and tell them that they don't belong. 

Sufism is a wide concept with many branches in itself. And the majority of which are peaceful, But you can't just expect us not to try and defend our brothers and sisters of other faiths or none. 

If you try to hurt innocent people, Muslim or Non-Muslim, or cause hatred in the world, many Sufi Orders historically and in contemporary times (Such as Sufis fighting Wahhabis off in parts of Central Asia, not to mention the History of Chechnya) have fought off forces that would otherwise cause mass suffering. 

It makes me sad to see certain beralawi brothers falling in the trap of al sauds hatred of iran and shia in general. To be fair there's certain shia like yasser al habib who is rejected by most shia who throws oil on an already huge fire. 

Al saud plus yasser al habib and his type equals THE BIN. That's the only way there will be peace. 

Not just al saud but the western powers who claim to be Christians but plunge and cause chaos in the middle east and elsewhere. 

Al saud plus western governments equals chaos. 

wanted to say a few thoughts I had while reading this thread.

- the Shia community is diverse and opinions vary on tatbir and the like. Just as the Sunni community has diverse opinions

- to ask the average Sunni what they will do to "combat ISIS" reminds me of the same trope that non Muslims ask all Muslims. I am sure there are numerous Sunnis that voice their hatred for Daesh. But really, do they have to? Can we really consider Daesh Sunni, let alone Muslim? 

On December 7, 2015 at 5:14 AM, Shawaiz Ali Khan said:

THERE IS NO DEOBANDI OR BARELVI ...

THERE IS ONLY SUNNI !

AND WE ARE THE FOLLOWERS OF Allah AND MY BELOVED PROPHET ( SAW )

Note from moderator: refrain fom typing in all CAPS

I understand the point or intention behind your statement. But most people use these terms to describe the specific fiqh or set of laws they follow within the religion of Islam. I agree, we are all Muslim. People just use these terms to describe the specific school or scholars they listen to.

On 3/15/2014 at 3:23 AM, warisshah2012 said:

This was a really interesting and intellectual thread until hijacked by Mr. Deobandi.

Anyway here are some beliefs about the Prophet which we Barelvi Sunnis and Shia share:

1. He was Noor

2. First thing Allah created

3. Had knowledge of the Unseen (ghaib)

4. Was infallible

5. Everything he said was wahy.

6. Impossible for him to make any mistakes

7. Was a Prophet even as a Soul before his blessed birth

8. All his ancestors were Muslims and Momineen and pure.

9. Has lots of miracles.

10. Is alive even after momentarily tasting death as per the promise of Allah

11 knew the time of his death

12 can help and aid his Ummatis

13 listens to your duas and salawat

14 can appear to any I've he chooses in both dreams and in waking state

15 he could see in the dark as well as behind him and in every direction

16 is the Beloved of Allah

17 will do shafaat for his Ummah

18 helps us in the grave during questioning

19 after Allah he is the greatest

20 Gabriel as is just a mere servant of the Prophet

21 saw Allah on the night of Miraj

22 He is the raison d'être of the Cosmos (ie if Allah hadn't created Him he wouldn't have created the Cosmos)

23. Saying Ya Rasool Allah is good

24. His miracles are more than the miracles of all the other prophets put together. Famous ones after the Quran include raising the dead, splitting the moon in half by pointing to it, bringing back the sun for Hazrat Ali after it had set, water flowing from his blessed fingers, trees used to do Sajda to him etc.

25. He didn't have a shadow.

26. His blessed saliva, blood, urine and stools are all Pure (paak).

27. He has knowledge of What Was, what is and what will be upto Qayamat and beyond.

Etc.

28. His blessed rawda is more holy than the Arsh of Allah

In short we believe he was Masoom and Infallible and everything that implies.

We share most if not all of the beliefs about Hazrat Ali and Bibi Fatima too. If a bro can list them I can tell you if we believe in them or not. Btw these are not limited to Barelvis, most Sunnis who are linked to the Sufi tariqa also share these beliefs. My shaykh eg is Cypriot and not Indo Pakistani but he believes all of the above and even in the Hadith of the 12 veils etc.

Ya Shah e Mardan!

The problem is that due to Saudi funding and patronage by Zia ul Haq etc Deobandis and other Wahabi sympathetic groups in Pakistan have had prominent medi coverage. Until now. Now alhamdulillah it is changing as people see the reality of these wolves and the terrorism they spread in the guise of TTP, the Taliban etc.

Do Barelvis believe that Music is Halal? I thought they did because they make heavy use of various musical instruments both in Prayer and in celebrations and Barelvi brothers just listen to bands in general.

but then I see opinions like these with so many likes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUvNfdzWm6M

So I'm left wondering, do Barelvis think Music is haram or halal? 

It depends on the type of music. Qawwali music is allowed by some Sunni Barelvi scholars and disallowed by others but the majority allow it as it is about praise of Allah, The Beloved Prophet, Imam Ali and the Sufi saints (awliya). Many qawwalis are also about the Ahlul Bayt. In fact probably the majority! And apart from Shia no other group of Muslims does the maatam of Imam Hussain during Karbala apart from us...

(Non-religious music like pop etc. is forbidden by all Sunnis scholars. )

I think Sunni Barelvis  (and Sufis in general) are very pro-Ali'd and pro-Ahlul Bayt. We believe in Aliyyun Wali Allah too but don't make it a part of our kalimah. 

Listen to speeches by Mufakkir e Islam Pir Sayyid Abdul Qadir Shah Sahib of the UK as an example. That's why generally there has been no problems between us and Shias. (Our main issue with Shias is the cursing of the Companions. Though we believe Mawla Ali was on Haqq during all the conflicts - we respect all the companions of the Prophet  and stay silent on them out of respect for the Prophet.)

Who says we don't love Mawla Ali (a.s.) or Mawla Hussain (a.s.)? (Please don't confuse us with the Khariji and Nasibi Salafis or Ahle Hadith! or Deobandis!)

Here Shah Sahib compares the bravery of Imam Hussain (a.s.) to that of the famed Persian hero Rustam and finds Rustam wanting!

Ya Hussain (a.s.)!

On 8/8/2012 at 6:59 AM, Haydar Husayn said:

(bismillah)

(salam)

There is a large Sunni sect on the Indian Subcontinent known as Barelvis. Can any Barelvi here give a summary of the differences between their beliefs and practices and those of other Sunnis? Or can a non-Barelvi who knows a lot about them do so? If any sources could be provided, that would be helpful.

Barelvi isnt a sunni subsect

Its a whole differemt sect that doesnt have anything to do with sunnism

To Sol 7,

Yes all Barelvis are Sufis - mostly of the Qadri Tariqah but many also (like myself) of the Naqshbandi (in my case Naqshbandi-Haqqani tariqah of Mawlana Shaykh Nazim (q)) and also Chishti and Sabri Sufi orders. Perhaps the most famous modern Sufi who you can call as a Barelvi per his beliefs is Pir Sayyid Mihr Ali Shah of Golra Sharif (q).

On 12/7/2015 at 5:14 AM, Shawaiz Ali Khan said:

THERE IS NO DEOBANDI OR BARELVI ...

THERE IS ONLY SUNNI !

AND WE ARE THE FOLLOWERS OF Allah AND MY BELOVED PROPHET ( SAW )

Note from moderator: refrain fom typing in all CAPS

When Angels ask you in grave , what is your  Deen , will you say you are sunni ?  You will say Islam. 

Allah chose the name Muslim for us.