Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Environmental Engineering?

thebeast

• Advanced Member

Salam everyone

I'm in the last year of my A-Levels and plan on eventually becoming an Environmental engineer. Its the first profession that I've actually found appealing. The problem is I'm from Pakistan and there aren't great deal of opportunities here for environmental engineers. I was hoping if anyone here could guide me with regards to prerequisites and countries where there are opportunities.

I'm personally inclined towards Belgium(most probably Brussels). It would be great if someone can direct me toward a good university with education in English. Any relevant suggestions are also welcome...

Thanks

Salam everyone

I'm in the last year of my A-Levels and plan on eventually becoming an Environmental engineer. Its the first profession that I've actually found appealing. The problem is I'm from Pakistan and there aren't great deal of opportunities here for environmental engineers. I was hoping if anyone here could guide me with regards to prerequisites and countries where there are opportunities.

I'm personally inclined towards Belgium(most probably Brussels). It would be great if someone can direct me toward a good university with education in English. Any relevant suggestions are also welcome...

Thanks

I work with environmental engineers. I am honestly surprised to hear you say there are not a great deal of opportunities there. I had imagined Pakistan as a haven for environmental restructuring. I am certain it would benefit from it.

In the US, the govt and state branches of govt have designed systems that allow for many environmental engineers to partake in work here.

Perhaps it is only a matter of time then before Pakistan opens up.

• Advanced Member

I work with environmental engineers. I am honestly surprised to hear you say there are not a great deal of opportunities there. I had imagined Pakistan as a haven for environmental restructuring. I am certain it would benefit from it.

In the US, the govt and state branches of govt have designed systems that allow for many environmental engineers to partake in work here.

Perhaps it is only a matter of time then before Pakistan opens up.

thats nice to hear...i know that Pakistan can greatly benefit from environmental engineers but for know they are a luxury that Pakistan just cant afford...Pakistan is seriously in need of stable government policies, and for that matter, a stable government.

• Advanced Member

I'm no engineer but I am an environmentalist and I feel in Pakistan there are very few opportunities for Environmentalists and Environmental engineers although Pakistan is in dire need of environmental legislation and regulations. There is so much to be done here but due to the government's lack of interest and support, this field is highly neglected. :cry:

• Advanced Member

The bachelor's program for most universities in Europe is in the local language. However, engineering schools often offer their master's program in English. You have two options

1. Learn a European language and do your studies entirely in a European university (don't know about Belgium, but Delft TU in the Netherlands is quite a well-reputed school and shouldn't be too far from Belgium). You might also consider Germany/France/Switzerland/Sweden.

2. Do your Bachelor's in Pakistan or in an English-speaking country (Australia/Canada/UK/US), and then continue with a masters either in one of these countries or in another university in Europe that offers master's programs in English.

It's good that you're planning ahead. This can be quite important when planning your study program. Late planning will sometimes result in having to wait for an entire year before starting your degree.

• Advanced Member

The bachelor's program for most universities in Europe is in the local language. However, engineering schools often offer their master's program in English. You have two options

1. Learn a European language and do your studies entirely in a European university (don't know about Belgium, but Delft TU in the Netherlands is quite a well-reputed school and shouldn't be too far from Belgium). You might also consider Germany/France/Switzerland/Sweden.

2. Do your Bachelor's in Pakistan or in an English-speaking country (Australia/Canada/UK/US), and then continue with a masters either in one of these countries or in another university in Europe that offers master's programs in English.

It's good that you're planning ahead. This can be quite important when planning your study program. Late planning will sometimes result in having to wait for an entire year before starting your degree.

What kind of engineering should I take on in my Bachelor's? I mean to serve as a basis for the future......Civil engineering seems like a viable option but it would hurt to know if there are more options available...

I'm no engineer but I am an environmentalist and I feel in Pakistan there are very few opportunities for Environmentalists and Environmental engineers although Pakistan is in dire need of environmental legislation and regulations. There is so much to be done here but due to the government's lack of interest and support, this field is highly neglected. :cry:

yeah...there's so much that can be done...for starters, a sewage treatment plant can be built for to clean the waters of River Ravi....clean water would encourage fish habitation which would lead to more job oppurtunities, more settlement....and this is just a brief overview of the good that can come...yet, our leaders fail to see the bigger picture..

• Advanced Member
What kind of engineering should I take on in my Bachelor's? I mean to serve as a basis for the future......Civil engineering seems like a viable option but it would hurt to know if there are more options available...

If you've decided that you want to do your master's in environmental engineering, then you can do your bachelor's in that field as well. I did a quick search on google and it appears that there are bachelor degrees in environmental engineering offered in Pakistan. I know this is also the case for universities in the West as well.

Alternatively, if you aren't certain about going into environmental engineering but want to keep the option open, I would suggest emailing different universities around the world that offer environmental engineering masters programs and checking what the admission requirements are. This might allow you to select a more general bachelor's degree that would allow you to be admitted in environmental engineering later on but also allow you to go into another field in case you change your mind.

You seem quite interested in humanitarian work, so I think civil engineering is also a good option for you. If this is indeed the case, you might want to look into the following links (as a starting point) for further ideas/inspiration.

http://www.ewb-international.org/ : official website of Engineers Without Borders. Quite a few links under the ressources section.

http://www.icrc.org/...ab-engineer.htm

Just one example of the kind of engineering job you can do with a humanitarian aid employer.

Don't do it from Pakistan if you can afford at any other place. Australia might be a good option.

Some possibilities:

Sydney: http://sydney.edu.au/courses/Bachelor-of-Engineering-Civil-Environmental

Melbourne: http://coursesearch.unimelb.edu.au/undergrad/1508-bachelor-of-environments

New South Wales: http://www.civeng.unsw.edu.au/

Edited by Follower

thats nice to hear...i know that Pakistan can greatly benefit from environmental engineers but for know they are a luxury that Pakistan just cant afford...Pakistan is seriously in need of stable government policies, and for that matter, a stable government.

It is possible that...if you work with the position, you could be a pioneer of a sort for Pakistan. Pakistan could use more bright minds, it may be wise to look there.

The rarer the skill, the more valued it could potentially be,

If you love your country, I see no reason to leave.

Edited by Belial

• Advanced Member

It is possible that...if you work with the position, you could be a pioneer of a sort for Pakistan. Pakistan could use more bright minds, it may be wise to look there.

it does feel good when u put it that way....and again, there are a lot of bright minds here but just like the rest of Pakistan's valuable resources, they too remain untapped...like u, i also like to believe that change is inevitable but there are greater changes that must be brought first to make way for changes like these...

• Advanced Member

Pakistan is a Hell for brilliant minds. Most of them want to serve their home country but point is how and with what price? It demands lot to do something for Pakistan. Brilliant people will either have to work on being a brilliant or they will have to struggle to do something for Pakistan, and both things can't happen at the same time.

• Advanced Member

On a positive note though, I think people like us can open up a revolutionary sort of a firm which can accomodate other people like us and we can work together and be pioneers and we can earn revenue as well eventually. But this is an ideal situation and an idea from a poor old sister of yours. :D . Practical implications of our knowledge will obviously consume alot of time. :cry:

• Advanced Member

Pakistan is a Hell for brilliant minds. Most of them want to serve their home country but point is how and with what price? It demands lot to do something for Pakistan. Brilliant people will either have to work on being a brilliant or they will have to struggle to do something for Pakistan, and both things can't happen at the same time.

a little harsh but it does have some truth to it.....

On a positive note though, I think people like us can open up a revolutionary sort of a firm which can accomodate other people like us and we can work together and be pioneers and we can earn revenue as well eventually. But this is an ideal situation and an idea from a poor old sister of yours. :D . Practical implications of our knowledge will obviously consume alot of time. :cry:

its a good thing to be optimistic and this is not impossible at all.....we should all have atleast a little faith in ourselves ,coz we never know when time could be on our sides..

• Advanced Member

a little harsh but it does have some truth to it.....

You will find out after completing your bachlors degree.

Sister is right a little bit here. Collective investment will open many doors for new jobs. But only very very few people know how to utilize people from different fields and use them for collective good. Which can be sometime extremely profitable if integrated in proper way.

• Advanced Member

A great idea sis.