Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Crimson

To Much To Learn!

Rate this topic

Salam,

Since I joined this forum I started to get interested in learning more about Islam, but there's a problem. There is too much to learn :mellow:! As in I don't know where to start and what to focus on. Like what is the obligatory knowledge that I have to have?

So ill be studying or reading something then another topic within that topic comes up and I'm like :blink:. So then I go to research that topic without finishing the one I was on and find another topic in that topic... overwhelming :no:.

I need to make a list of things and go down the list over time but I don't know what to choose :huh:. So if people would give me some topics to learn about and maybe a way to structure what I research it will be very helpful :D.

Also if people can recommend any books, websites, YouTube channels, lectures and speakers would be great too.

Wesalam Alakom,

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, would I recommend in the case of lectures, would probably be lectures from esteemed speakers such as: Sayed Ammar al-Nakshwani, Hajj Hasannain Rajab Ali, Dr.Usama al-Attar, these lectures always present in a very clean, efficient, matter in order for the listener to understand.

Especially, if you want to learn more about Ahulbayt (as) or the 14 Ma3someen (Infailbles) you can take alook at Sayed Ammar's lectures on them on his website, or you can find on youtube, very good start to get good introductory knowledge about the Infaliables.

As for books, I say if you have a copy of your marg3's book, or online document, maybe get familiar with it, review it in case you need to visit learn basic laws, maybe like for example we are in Ramadan browse over the Ramadan section.

So ya, start of small :) and isA with time it wil become a natural habit of you reading, and watching, etc.

Femanallah,

We ask for your Prayers

Wesalam Alakom,

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, would I recommend in the case of lectures, would probably be lectures from esteemed speakers such as: Sayed Ammar al-Nakshwani, Hajj Hasannain Rajab Ali, Dr.Usama al-Attar, these lectures always present in a very clean, efficient, matter in order for the listener to understand.

Especially, if you want to learn more about Ahulbayt (as) or the 14 Ma3someen (Infailbles) you can take alook at Sayed Ammar's lectures on them on his website, or you can find on youtube, very good start to get good introductory knowledge about the Infaliables.

As for books, I say if you have a copy of your marg3's book, or online document, maybe get familiar with it, review it in case you need to visit learn basic laws, maybe like for example we are in Ramadan browse over the Ramadan section.

So ya, start of small :) and isA with time it wil become a natural habit of you reading, and watching, etc.

Femanallah,

We ask for your Prayers

I agree that listening to these lectures will help alot, and will give alot of information.

I personally leared lots from Sayed Ammar, the way he explains makes me totally focusing on the topic he is talking about!

Here is his website: http://www.sayedammar.com

(wasalam)

Wesalam Alakom,

Femanallah,

We ask for your Prayers

Thanks for that and yeah I already know about Sayed Ammar al-Nakshwani but ill check the others out. And I don't really have a marja yet, might choose one soon and look into the laws, etc. But nice suggestion, thanks :)

Start with removing music from your interests.

The music I listen to isn't the type of music you think it is. Its not the type of music you dance to and it doesn't contain lyrics. It's the orchestral type that inspirational. I see no harm in it because it's not ruining my relationship with Allah at all, infact it's only been getting better.

Edited by Crimson

Salam

I am new here myself. As for learning, many people think they just read Quran and a few hadith then they have Islam figured out. But Islam is the only religion of one God and one God is much greater than so you understand him and his religion alone by just reading Quran and a few hadith you need to think and research to get closer to God almighty (Allah swt)

As for learning, try not to think about "too much" or else you get tierd. WANT IT! I say that because a long time ago I myself was thinking that way, so I got pulled toward Sunni Islam, and later even the simpler version of Islam where I thought I was getting stupid (similar to Wahabism) and slowly even went away from Islam then I realized that Allah (swt) is greater than how most of the Ummah think of him so now I am climbing back to true Islam, Ahlulbait.

Go to Al-islam.org and read a few of their books, they have some good books some are focusing around like a couple verses of Quran. Yes they have a book by Ayatolah Motaherri just based on few verses of Quran its amazing.

Once your wisdom grows, then you will NEVER say "TOO MUCH" you will say "too little" and want more.

May Allah guides us all.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Crimson,

Alhamdulillaah you have embarked upon a vast journey. One in which will never be exhausted. That is the best part. Learn a little bit everyday and keep to that. There is a hadeeth from the A'immah (as) that says to do a little bit at a time is better than to do alot at one time and never to do it again. Keep that in mind inshaa' Allaah. After 2-3 years you will see how far you have come. Do a little reading everyday. Sit down and browse around even many of the old ShiaChat posts that we have had discussions on here. There are alot of informative materials from many brothers and sisters in those threads. But once we get knowledge, inshaa' Allaah I say this to myself also, make sure not to forget the most important thing of all. Don't lose yourself. What I mean by this is that don't get an ego that you know more than another person who doesn't. Always remember where we came from, we were once in that position of not knowing as well. Keep that same compassion inshaa' Allaah in your mind.

Let me give you a personal story: I was once a person who had very basic knowledge of Shee`ah Islaam and followed the waajibaat and knew, for the most part, the haraam actions. After a while, then I started to realize I need more. (This was around the age of 20 or so) A powerful speaker came and changed my life and my brothers lives and from then on, we have been learning Islaam in depth every since. (I am now around 25) As it says in the Qur'aan, that did not a messenger from amongst yourselves come to you. He was essentially our messenger in the sense of giving da`wah and telling us that the state of Shee`ah youth is trash. We had to do the other half and that was to start learning and take heed to the advice. The first part was easy by trying to give da`wah, but trying to change is not easy. It takes willpower and a hard shell.

You will be looked down upon by your family, if you get more religious and you change, but you must not change your ways to your family. Don't build an ego and consider them out of the fold of Islaam or deviated because they don't follow the same manhaj (methodology) as you do. This will be easy to understand, but trust me it is difficult to actually put into practice once you start to get more serious about learning Islaam. Your friends will change (which will happen because you will always associate with those who have similar social interests). You will notice your environments will change. Then you will notice your attitude will change. Slowly these things will happen.... this isn't a bad thing, but it can be. Arrogance starts to slowly creep into the hearts of the believers. This is where it'll be up to you to grab it, slap it around and throw it out of your head.

Inshaa' Allaah I ask Allaah (SWT) to help you in your endeavors as a taalib al `ilm (seeker of knowledge) and to grant you jannah and to keep you away from the fire. Aameen.

(salam)

(bismillah)

(salam)

Crimson,

Alhamdulillaah you have embarked upon a vast journey. One in which will never be exhausted. That is the best part. Learn a little bit everyday and keep to that. There is a hadeeth from the A'immah (as) that says to do a little bit at a time is better than to do alot at one time and never to do it again. Keep that in mind inshaa' Allaah. After 2-3 years you will see how far you have come. Do a little reading everyday. Sit down and browse around even many of the old ShiaChat posts that we have had discussions on here. There are alot of informative materials from many brothers and sisters in those threads. But once we get knowledge, inshaa' Allaah I say this to myself also, make sure not to forget the most important thing of all. Don't lose yourself. What I mean by this is that don't get an ego that you know more than another person who doesn't. Always remember where we came from, we were once in that position of not knowing as well. Keep that same compassion inshaa' Allaah in your mind.

Let me give you a personal story: I was once a person who had very basic knowledge of Shee`ah Islaam and followed the waajibaat and knew, for the most part, the haraam actions. After a while, then I started to realize I need more. (This was around the age of 20 or so) A powerful speaker came and changed my life and my brothers lives and from then on, we have been learning Islaam in depth every since. (I am now around 25) As it says in the Qur'aan, that did not a messenger from amongst yourselves come to you. He was essentially our messenger in the sense of giving da`wah and telling us that the state of Shee`ah youth is trash. We had to do the other half and that was to start learning and take heed to the advice. The first part was easy by trying to give da`wah, but trying to change is not easy. It takes willpower and a hard shell.

You will be looked down upon by your family, if you get more religious and you change, but you must not change your ways to your family. Don't build an ego and consider them out of the fold of Islaam or deviated because they don't follow the same manhaj (methodology) as you do. This will be easy to understand, but trust me it is difficult to actually put into practice once you start to get more serious about learning Islaam. Your friends will change (which will happen because you will always associate with those who have similar social interests). You will notice your environments will change. Then you will notice your attitude will change. Slowly these things will happen.... this isn't a bad thing, but it can be. Arrogance starts to slowly creep into the hearts of the believers. This is where it'll be up to you to grab it, slap it around and throw it out of your head.

Inshaa' Allaah I ask Allaah (SWT) to help you in your endeavors as a taalib al `ilm (seeker of knowledge) and to grant you jannah and to keep you away from the fire. Aameen.

(salam)

Salam,

Thanks for telling me what to expect later on and I can see where you're coming from with that. I guess ill have to wait and see how I start to change in general. I'm thinking of making a list and slowly going down this list without skipping anything. That why I will be able to test my self on the subject before moving on.

But JazakAllah for that, really something to think about :)

Most important thing in Islaam, in my opinion, is to know the Halaal and Haraam of actions. Out of those two, know the latter even more than the former. If you can keep away from the Haraam, then I am sure you would be doing many good things such as Salaah on time, etc. A great book to read and I always recommend this as a first read is: Greater Sins by Dastghaib Shirazi (http://www.al-islam.org/greater_sins_complete/)

He passed away and may Allaah (SWT) grant him jannah. Aameen.

This work is a priceless work and easy to read. Fast read. Please make this one of your first reads. If you have others as well, then that is cool. This will change your life as it did mine years ago. Nothing is more beneficial than, in my opinion, knowing exactly what is haraam in this religion and to hold fast to the words of the Ahlul al-Bayt (as).

Anything that I have said on here or my previous post that was wrong was from me, and all that I have said that was good was from Allaah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì.

Wallaahu 'Alam (And Allaah (SWT) knows best)

Assalaamu 'Alaykum

Most important thing in Islaam, in my opinion, is to know the Halaal and Haraam of actions. Out of those two, know the latter even more than the former. If you can keep away from the Haraam, then I am sure you would be doing many good things such as Salaah on time, etc. A great book to read and I always recommend this as a first read is: Greater Sins by Dastghaib Shirazi (http://www.al-islam...._sins_complete/)

He passed away and may Allaah (SWT) grant him jannah. Aameen.

This work is a priceless work and easy to read. Fast read. Please make this one of your first reads. If you have others as well, then that is cool. This will change your life as it did mine years ago. Nothing is more beneficial than, in my opinion, knowing exactly what is haraam in this religion and to hold fast to the words of the Ahlul al-Bayt (as).

Anything that I have said on here or my previous post that was wrong was from me, and all that I have said that was good was from Allaah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì.

Wallaahu 'Alam (And Allaah (SWT) knows best)

Assalaamu 'Alaykum

Thanks brother, this book seems to have just about all the information I need, great suggestion :)