Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Mo.

Allah Sends Shooting Stars As Missiles To Chase...

Rate this topic

Hello members of Shiachat. Been a long time.

I have a question regarding this passage:

http://quran.com/67/5

How can one explain this passage without looking bad in front of the scientific community?

In Arabic, forget the beautified translation, it says that the lamps in the sky (basically the stars) are missiles intended at the demons.

Honestly I never heard of this passage before. Yeah I know what you're thinking, I haven't read the whole Quran. So when somebody first mentioned this to me, I told him he was a liar. I didn't say that because I believe that Islam is true 100%. Frankly I don't know what's true. I said that because I never believed that any religious passage, from any religion, will be extremely fantastical in its analysis of the cosmos.

So what am I missing here? What's the catch behind this passage? How do Muslims who read this passage not leave their faith, how do they interpret a missile chasing demons?

Wasallam, here is some Sunni tafsir on it (Tafsir al-Jalalayn)

And verily We have adorned the lowest heaven, the one closest to the earth, with lamps, with stars, and made them missiles against the devils, should they [attempt to] listen by stealth, in which case a meteor of fire detaches itself from the star, just like a brand is taken from a fire, and either kills that jinn or deprives him of his senses: it is not that the star itself is displaced from its position; and We have prepared for them the chastisement of the Blaze, the ignited Fire.

Hey Goku thanks for the effort but that still doesn't explain the extraordinary nature of that passage. In the Arabic text, lamps are stars, not separated from meteorites. And these stars can move and shoot around. So apparently there is no difference between the stars and the meteors. That difference only came later, through scientific understanding. But the passage itself makes no difference between the stars and meteors and also doesn't take into account why these objects move. They move for other reasons, which science is showing, not for chasing demons. And I don't think meteors detach from stars either.

I Think I get it. You know how stars burn fuel right? I thought that it meant since the Jinns and Devils are Dhulemeen (Wrongdoers) they will be put in a firey blaze of the stars. Or something I am really not that sure brother.

Salam

The above (a meteor attacking them) is also mentioned in our tafsirs as a possible meaning of the verse. It was long understood even in the ancient tafsirs not to be referring to the stars themselves. Another interpretation is mentioned by Fayd Kashani in his tafsir, wherein he says وقيل اي رجوماً وظنوناً لشياطين الانس وهم المنجمون meaning guesswork and mistrustful (conjecturally perhaps?) for the shayateen of humanity, them being the astrologers. If you say qaalahu rajman in Arabic, it means to say it conjecturally, and rajama bi-zhann means to speak conjecturally.

EDIT: That's annoying, the Arabic isn't showing. Go here to see it:

http://altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?tMadhNo=4&tTafsirNo=41&tSoraNo=67&tAyahNo=5&tDisplay=yes&UserProfile=0&LanguageId=1

The problem I find is that the passage mentions lamps. "We have beautified the sky with lamps". That never referred to meteorites. Beautifying the sky with lamps inevitably refers to stars in the night sky. From the way one reads it, lamps in the sky are there to beautify the sky (act as light source) and remain fixed in their places, unless god wants to hurl one at demons in which case one of them will suddenly move and becomes a shooting star. A lamp is also a source of light. The problem is science didn't know the difference between meteorites and stars back then. They were basically the same thing. A star can either be fixed or transforms into a shooting star. This ofcourse makes no sense in modern science. But even if the Quran made the differentiation between stars and meteors (which it didn't), it still doesn't explain how this passage can refer only specifically to meteorites. That's because meteorites move and do not beautify, nor act as lighting source for the night sky, therefore the lamp cannot be associated to it.

This may be of help. Try to ignore the embellishment and compelling veneer; a couple of articles on this site are known for misinterpreting Quranic verses to uphold some tendentious ideas, although this one makes some solid points..

Another interpretation is mentioned by Fayd Kashani in his tafsir, wherein he says وقيل اي رجوماً وظنوناً لشياطين الانس وهم المنجمون meaning guesswork and mistrustful (conjecturally perhaps?) for the shayateen of humanity, them being the astrologers. If you say qaalahu rajman in Arabic, it means to say it conjecturally, and rajama bi-zhann means to speak conjecturally.

How does this interpretation fit in with the other verses which have similar themes? They seem to be more explicit in confirming the meteor interpretation.

If the lowest heaven is the solar system and the lamps therein are the planets, then their movements (relative to the stars) many spoil the work of the astrologers?

This may be of help. Try to ignore the embellishment and compelling veneer; a couple of articles on this site are known for misinterpreting Quranic verses to uphold some tendentious ideas, although this one makes some solid points..

I rarely go to answering-christianity because you're right, it exaggerates many things to point it makes the Quran look like a science thesis from Berkeley.

The article tried its best but it's again falling short, because shehab refers to shooting objects. Today, shooting objects are rocky material, not fiery material. Yet there it says fiery shehab. The tail of the comet is the one which makes it visible. I'll hand the author in trying to relate different passages together but again when it comes down to the lamps turning into missiles, he goes back to the same interpretations others have said before him, as though by rote. A gamma ray burst was a nice touch, only he didn't take into account that gamma rays do not shoot the sky rather radiate into space. Again, unfortunately, the explanations are always inaccurate from scientific points of view and also by trying so hard to make the sentence look like it means something different. One thousand years ago they wouldn't be talking gamma rays, they'll just say "yeah the star is shooting across the sky when god wants it to".

I'm not too sure but I think this is referring to "unseen" realities, not actual physical stars chasing them away....

If they're unseen realities then good wouldn't say "we have beautified the sky with lamps", then going on to say that those same lamps which beautify the night sky will chase the demons like missiles (shooting stars - a scientific theory that became obsolete when it was discovered there's a difference between stars and rocky objects).

If they're unseen realities then good wouldn't say "we have beautified the sky with lamps", then going on to say that those same lamps which beautify the night sky will chase the demons like missiles (shooting stars - a scientific theory that became obsolete when it was discovered there's a difference between stars and rocky objects).

Well most people can't even perceive the shayateen or the realms of barzakh, so why would you be able to perceive the flames that chase them away?

Edited by Fuan

Well most people can't even perceive the shayateen or the realms of barzakh, so why would you be able to perceive the flames that chase them away?

And we have beautified the sky with lamps and have made them missiles for the demons.

Ain't nothing about flames chasing them away. That's what some people said from the answers I searched for, in order to sidestep explaining the passage in the proper way.

The lamps are the stars and they are also the missiles. It goes back to the old age mentality of stars being either stationary or "shooting stars".

The disaster here is that I felt checkmated by the person who told me this passage.

How can one explain this passage without looking bad in front of the scientific community?

In Arabic, forget the beautified translation, it says that the lamps in the sky (basically the stars) are missiles intended at the demons.

Honestly I never heard of this passage before. Yeah I know what you're thinking, I haven't read the whole Quran. So when somebody first mentioned this to me, I told him he was a liar. I didn't say that because I believe that Islam is true 100%. Frankly I don't know what's true. I said that because I never believed that any religious passage, from any religion, will be extremely fantastical in its analysis of the cosmos.

So what am I missing here? What's the catch behind this passage? How do Muslims who read this passage not leave their faith, how do they interpret a missile chasing demons?

AIUI, the tashbih (metaphor) of 'lamps' is referring to all of the shinning objects (in the sky) visible to the naked eye. Unlike science which now classifies those objects into Stars, Shooting stars, Planets, Planetary satellites e.t.c, the Quranic verse is speaking from the point of view of naked eye i-e we all see the sky being decorated with 'lamps' (be them stars, satellites, meteors) and it goes on to explain how these lamps (some of them) are also used to shoot away shayateen.

Then you should go to the site I linked to above and look through the various tafasir there. You can see that this interpretation of it not being the stars themselves getting displaced is consistent with the classical commentaries (i.e. prior to the knowledge of modern astronomy) so this isn't just some modern apologetics at work.

Or, you might opt for the alternative interpretation I mention above that also can be found in more than one classical tafsir, where the verse isn't understood to be referring to jinns getting shot at by stars or meteors, but to the conjecture of the astrologers in trying to predict the future by them. While his is a modern commentary, Muhammad Asad does a decent job of explaining this view and referring to some medieval works (so again, pre-modern) as sources. He says:

"For the wider meaning of shayatin - a term which in this context points specifically to " the satans from among mankind, that is, the astrologers" (Baydawi) - see sura 15, note 16. As regards the term rajm (pl. rujum), which literally denotes the "throwing [of something] like a stone" - i.e. at random - it is often used metaphorically in the sense of "speaking conjecturally" or "making [something] the object of guesswork" (Jawhari, Raghib - the latter connecting this metaphor explicitly with the above verse - , Lisan al-'Arab, Qamus, Taj al-'Arus, etc.) Cf. also 37:6-10"

AIUI, the tashbih (metaphor) of 'lamps' is referring to all of the shinning objects (in the sky) visible to the naked eye. Unlike science which now classifies those objects into Stars, Shooting stars, Planets, Planetary satellites e.t.c, the Quranic verse is speaking from the point of view of naked eye i-e we all see the sky being decorated with 'lamps' (be them stars, satellites, meteors) and it goes on to explain how these lamps (some of them) are also used to shoot away shayateen.

Science has no classification for shooting stars. There's no such thing. A shooting star is what people back in the olden days believed in because they didn't know the difference between a star, comet, asteroid, meteorite, planet, etc. Except for the sun and moon, everything in the sky was a star - some of which were stationary and some of which moved by Allah's discretion (to chase demons, thus "shooting stars").

A lamp is also a source of light. Allah's idea of what gave light in the nightsky is contradictory to science. Planets reflect light, they do not emit light. But in the Quran, they and stars are the same category: both are lamps, meaning both are sources of light in the nightsky. The science here is rather primitive because it cannot distinguish between different cosmic objects. Not just that, but it assumes that all visible objects in the sky are lamps, ie sources of light, and hence of fiery elememts, and hence used as hurling objects at demonic entities. Whatever shoots across space has no light source infact, except for its tail, which is hardly visible unless very near to earth's orbital pull. The whole sky was decorated with lamps. These lamps are mostly stars by today's interpretation of science. And these lamps are collectively rujuman for the demons.

Then you should go to the site I linked to above and look through the various tafasir there. You can see that this interpretation of it not being the stars themselves getting displaced is consistent with the classical commentaries (i.e. prior to the knowledge of modern astronomy) so this isn't just some modern apologetics at work.

Or, you might opt for the alternative interpretation I mention above that also can be found in more than one classical tafsir, where the verse isn't understood to be referring to jinns getting shot at by stars or meteors, but to the conjecture of the astrologers in trying to predict the future by them. While his is a modern commentary, Muhammad Asad does a decent job of explaining this view and referring to some medieval works (so again, pre-modern) as sources. He says:

"For the wider meaning of shayatin - a term which in this context points specifically to " the satans from among mankind, that is, the astrologers" (Baydawi) - see sura 15, note 16. As regards the term rajm (pl. rujum), which literally denotes the "throwing [of something] like a stone" - i.e. at random - it is often used metaphorically in the sense of "speaking conjecturally" or "making [something] the object of guesswork" (Jawhari, Raghib - the latter connecting this metaphor explicitly with the above verse - , Lisan al-'Arab, Qamus, Taj al-'Arus, etc.) Cf. also 37:6-10"

That tafsir had me confused, I must admit. It's rather an extraordinary interpretation of rujum and shayateen. Allah begins that passage by mentioning something literal in the nightsky, as lamps, decorating the sky. And then suddenly the passage shifts metaphorical and is interpreted as astrologists getting hit (in some form) by god's wrath.

It's an odd interpretation and has split the ayah into two halves. The first half where god clearly mentions how he decorated the nightsky with lamps, and then the second half which talks about astronomers getting hit by a guesswork that is associated to these physical lamps. If anything, the tafsir makes it look even more confusing.

A lamp is also a source of light. Allah's idea of what gave light in the nightsky is contradictory to science. Planets reflect light, they do not emit light. But in the Quran, they and stars are the same category: both are lamps, meaning both are sources of light in the nightsky. The science here is rather primitive because it cannot distinguish between different cosmic objects. Not just that, but it assumes that all visible objects in the sky are lamps, ie sources of light, and hence of fiery elememts, and hence used as hurling objects at demonic entities. Whatever shoots across space has no light source infact, except for its tail, which is hardly visible unless very near to earth's orbital pull. The whole sky was decorated with lamps. These lamps are mostly stars by today's interpretation of science. And these lamps are collectively rujuman for the demons.

Ofcourse, if literally taken, a lamp is a direct source of light. However the Quranic verse has metaphorically mentioned 'lamps', as being the decoration of the sky. It's focus is not on the cosmic properties of the 'lamps'. As previously mentioned, the verse is addressing the naked eye, which (no doubt) sees the sky decorated with shining objects. Whether those objects have their own source of light or not isnt of concern to a general observer, being addressed. The verse simply states that the shining objects (which we see and with which the heaven is decorated) are also used to take care of trespassers (shayateen).

Science has no classification for shooting stars. There's no such thing. A shooting star is what people back in the olden days believed in because they didn't know the difference between a star, comet, asteroid, meteorite, planet, etc. Except for the sun and moon, everything in the sky was a star - some of which were stationary and some of which moved by Allah's discretion (to chase demons, thus "shooting stars").

I probably should have used the word 'meteor' instead of 'shooting stars', since you are concerned with semantics. Regardless, you seem to have ignored the point.

I've looked through the page.

They are making a huge assumption about the verse (devils being chased by shooting stars). They are taking the verse literally by saying that some devils are really going up to the heaven to steal the secret of the universe. And these devils in turn are being chased out by the shooting stars.

To start with, how do you know that this verse is not metaphorical? Because if the verse is metaphorical then most of the thing said on that page is null and void. I am suprised that the folks on that side didn't give more thought about this.

I've looked through the page.

They are making a huge assumption about the verse (devils being chased by shooting stars). They are taking the verse literally by saying that some devils are really going up to the heaven to steal the secret of the universe. And these devils in turn are being chased out by the shooting stars.

To start with, how do you know that this verse is not metaphorical? Because if the verse is metaphorical then most of the thing said on that page is null and void. I am suprised that the folks on that side didn't give more thought about this.

for it to be a metaphore you need a qarina which is lacking in this case

fact is , we dont know what Jinn are , we dont know where the second heaven or the first or the seven , and we dont know how can Jinn interact with humans

equally, we dont know what angels are , we dont know how they do document our deeds, we dont know how they do control rains , winds, earthquicks or how they do take the souls out of the bodies

we dont know what is a soul, something we do all know , we dont know how this soul is affected by bad deeds , nor we do know how can good deeds like a charity or visiting a relative may have effect on our fate making us live longer or preventing calamities

i dont see how we will be certain how the shihab (shooting star) will affect the jinn

the quraan uses kawakib , the general term , and shihab the specific term to describe the shooting stars in a number of verses in a clear way

The story of Jinn overhearing the angels talk about what will be done on earth is told in Jinn chapter plus some hadiths

Regardless, you seem to have ignored the point.

^Exactly. In my post I was trying to say that how can you conclude some physical scientific phenomena when you're referring to non-physical beings? 'shooting star' 'meteor' 'flame' 'missiles' whatever you want - you can shoot millions of them at the shayateen and it should just go right through them and not even touch them. Even though I don't really know the tafsir of the verse, I don't think you can make a physical scientific claim here. It has to be something on a different level, and whatever it is it would be a proof/hujjah on those shayateen.

On 8/6/2012 at 6:58 AM, Mo. said:

It's an odd interpretation and has split the ayah into two halves. The first half where god clearly mentions how he decorated the nightsky with lamps, and then the second half which talks about astronomers getting hit by a guesswork that is associated to these physical lamps. If anything, the tafsir makes it look even more confusing.

The Shia interpretation of verse 33:33 also splits the ayah into two halves. Do you have issues with that as well?

No the Arabic does not say this. I will get to your verse after a brief introduction on the subject.

The sama' ("what is above" more comonly used for the sky), with its constellations has been beautified and thus made fair-seeming to the onlookers, but in addition it was provided with protection in the times of revelation 15:16-17 through several systems. First, the ones charged with carrying down the Revelation, from heaven down to earth, repelled the rebellious among the jinn from every side so they could not hear what the ones high in ranks were saying during their descent 37:8,97:4 but when they did manage to steal a slight hearing, they were destroyed 15:18,37:10"Except him who snatches off but once, then there follows him a brightly shining flame/shihab". They were hit with burning objects identified as shihab, plur. "shuhub". Only 1 type of cosmic body in our sky fits the description of a fast moving object giving its own light; meteors.

The verse 67:5 reiterates how the sama' has been adorned with shining objects. It then says the sama', not the shining objects, has been turned into projectiles against the jinn. The "ha" at the end of "jaalnaha" is called in Arabic "mafoul bihi" and it indicates the object that does the action of the verb. It is in the 3rd person feminine singular form so it cannot refer to the shining objects/masabiha that are in the masculine plural form, and can only refer to the sama' that is in the feminine singular. Sama' means "what is above" so the sama' turned into projectiles is in reference to the pelting of the jinn with objects coming from above them.

Again the Quran says the heaven of the world/sama' addunya has been adorned with kawaakib/bright lights 37:6 AND/WA guarding/hifthan against the devils 37:7,41:12. Here again there is a seperation between the guarding system coming from above (meteors) and/wa the objects of decoration (stars, planets, etc).

The Quran does not say that these burning objects of the sky, which are none other than the meteors, have the exlusive purpose of chasing the jinn. Many of these shuhub filled the sky in the times of Revelation 72:8 (meteor showers) and only some of them were deviated from their natural course and used as projectiles against those of the rebellious jinn who managed to steal a hearing during the process of Revelation 72:9. The object of meteors was therefore not to hit jinn in general, only those who heard what was being said during the descent of the Revelation 15:18,37:10.

Before Revelation started descending, the jinn used to sit anywhere they wanted in the sky 72:9"we used to sit in some of the sitting-places thereof to steal a hearing" without being bothered by the "guarding system", because obviously they could not hear anything no matter their obstination otherwise they would have to be destroyed as happened to them during Revelation. Since no guarding was necessary prior to Revelation despite the jinns' presence in the skies, then it means this special assignement given to meteors was only valid in the times of Revelation "but he who would (try to) listen NOW would find a flame lying in wait for him" and that the natural order of things would be restored at the end of Revelation.

When Revelation started descending from Heaven all the way down to Earth and through the atmosphere, they had to be kept away from their sitting places by the angels protecting the "exalted assembly" and dissuasive showers of meteors in the atmosphere 72:8"we found it filled with strong guards and shuhub" and only those who succeeded in listening despite the warnings were followed by one of these meteors 15:18,37:10.

Edited by Nad_M

(bismillah)

(salam)

This Commentary is not the ayah that the OP asked about, however it does mention the devilish forces being driven away by shooting stars, according to Qummi.

[shakir 15:16] And certainly We have made strongholds in the heaven and We have made it fair seeming to the beholders.

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 15:16]

In the countless stars in the universe there is a marvellous order, beauty and harmony, on a scale which man is appreciating more and more as his knowledge is increasing. The first distinct belt is the Zodiac, which marks the position of the sun with reference to the movement of various constellation of stars of the solar system. Its twelve divisions are called the signs of the Zodiac. Through them we can mark off the seasons in our solar year, and express in definite laws the most important facts in meteorology, agriculture, seasonal winds, and tides. All these are vitally important and affect our physical life on the earth. The most important lesson we draw from them is that the author of the wonderful order and beauty is One, and He alone is entitled to our worship.

Aqa Mahdi Puya says:

The Zodiac belt is the lowest heaven. The heavens above it are more spiritual than physical. Celestial factors effect the terrestrial events. Some of the determinative occurrences of the celestial realm manifest themselves before they produce an effect upon the terrestrial world. Those who delve in occult sciences rely upon these manifestations to foretell the future. Such attempts are not reliable because the radiating celestial bodies (shihabun mubin or shahab thaqib) prevent them from reading the actual consequences. The shooting star or flaming fire, most probably, is the continuous radiation from the celestial bodies which pierces into the terrestrial hemisphere. It may mean that the conjunctions of radiations from different celestial sources neutralise the effect of each other and it becomes immeasurable and incomprehensible to those who try to foretell the future.

Spiritually speaking, order, beauty, harmony, light and truth are repugnant to evil. Therefore the bliss of the heavens are denied to the forces of evil. It is reserved only for the virtuous. The crooked nature of evil try to gain access by fraud or stealth but a flaming fire stops them from even hearing the sound of harmony ringing in the land of eternal bliss.

Qummi in his commentary says that when the Holy Prophet was born a mass of shooting stars was seen in the sky. A Jew named Joseph came to Makka and asked the Quraysh if a male child was born in their tribe. They did not know, but when he told them that it was written in Pentateuch that when the last prophet of Allah would be born the devilish forces will be driven away from the heaven by the shooting stars and their access to the higher regions would be blocked for ever, they made inquiries and found out that in the night before a son was born to Abdullah bin Abd al Muttalib. In the same night the palace of Kisra in Persia was cracked and the fire burning in the temple for a thousand years was extinguished .

Source: http://quran.al-islam.org/

The implications are obvious, Muhammad thought heaven/paradise was is in the sky. To a scientifically illiterate people, shooting stars do indeed look like missiles, arcing across the sky and burning up as though they were arrows. Seeing shooting stars would have been a nightly occurrence for the Arabs at the time of Muhammad because there was no light pollution from cities. As a self declared Prophet his companions would expect him to have an answer for almost everything, so he confabulated. He thought paradise and Allah were somewhere up above the cloud tops, these points of light were shooting through the sky like arrows, Allah must be aiming these missiles at something, so he said the Jinn try to climb up to heaven an Allah fires shooting stars at them to stop them.

Guest Jebreil

(bismillah)

(salam)

^ When it is jam` mukassar, I believe. So like masaabeeh which is such a plural of misbaah.

(wasalam)

Edited by Jebreil

Isn't the feminine singular used for plural inanimate objects?

Thanks for the correction and it isnt only for inanimate objects, see 22:36.

However this still does not change the rendering of the verse, and there are actually a few translators who understand it the same way. As already seen in 15:16-17 the Quran makes a distinction between the guarding system (provided by meteors) and the shining objects adorning our sky. Then again it says the heaven of the world/sama' addunya has been adorned with kawaakib/bright lights 37:6 AND/WA guarding/hifthan against the devils 37:7,41:12. It seperates the guarding system and the shining objects decorating the night sky (stars, planets, etc).

The verse 67:5 reiterates how the sama' has been adorned with shining objects. It then uses a construction accepting in its range of meanings that both the sama' and the shining objects adorning the sky, as well as each on their own, have been turned into projectiles against the jinn. But keeping in mind the Quran's distinction between the objects adorning the sky and the guarding system, then we should exclude the former from the possible meanings and only keep the sama' as being what was "turned into projectiles". Sama' means "what is above" so the sama' turned into projectiles is in reference to the pelting of the jinn with objects, ie meteors coming from above them.

I am bumping this because i need more people to answer. I am not happy with any of the answers so far. Many athiests have rejected Islam on this verse alone.

So it really was you, you were the guy that registered as 'Reason' and pretend to be a potential convert. How dare you do deceive your own fellow Shias? Did you know that I wasted an hour looking up for this when you made that thread? I wonder why the admins banned your 'Reason' account, but not your current one. And what is your obsession with atheists? Who the hell cares about them, they're all destined to hell anyway, sheeesh!

Edited by Naruto

Here is my two cents to this.

Take into consideration that God does not create evil, evil is born by our actions or the conseqeunce of something.

The Devil was not born evil, he was once one of the highest angels, he became the Shaytaan by his own actions.

Now I would like to cross reference something the Prophet said

The Prophet said , and i am sure all of you have heard this hadith, that you should trim your moustache because if you do not that Shaitaan is at the end of the moustache and it will get into your food befoe you drink/eat it

Also the Prophet said "Do not leave food at night because if you do then Shaitaan gather around it"

Now what my point in all of this is, is that in both instances he uses the word SHiataan, which relative to us is something which could be harmful to us, whether it be physically or mentally or spiritually

SO what i am trying to say is that dont get confused by the word Shaitaan

Just liek the Prophet used the word Shaitaan for both hadeths, when we now know that what he realy ment was (in the first hadeeth) bacteria which gets into your food

ANd in the second hadeeth cockroaches/rats/animals.

So what i am trying to bring your attention to , is that the the word Shaitaan is not some evil demonic entitiy, it could be anything which is harmful to us , and it is relative, for example for us the Pig is shaitaan also because it is harmful to us if we eat it, but to a wolf it is good and necessary because it survives by hunting it and eating it

Therefore do not be confused and linear when looking at those words

What is meant by shooting stars burning up shaitaan, could be talking about some necessary physical phenomina which is needed to keep the harmony in the universe, kind of like a virus cleaner on our computers or good bacteria in the body, which stabilizes something in our system or the cosmos to cuase a blanace, which if it was not there would unbalance something and might have a domino effect or a trigger to our destruction or some bad effect on us

So to summarize Shaitaan is a universal name in the Quran for anything harmful to us.

Edited by yukapuka

So it really was you, you were the guy that registered as 'Reason' and pretend to be a potential convert. How dare you do deceive your own fellow Shias? Did you know that I wasted an hour looking up for this when you made that thread? I wonder why the admins banned your 'Reason' account, but not your current one. And what is your obsession with atheists? Who the hell cares about them, they're all destined to hell anyway, sheeesh!

I have remarked that atheists make a lot of valid points concerning religion, and are more used to reason, then most of religious believers who just follow what their parents told them.

PS: I'm not atheist.

Based upon what you have said in your responses to everyone on this thread, you want to prove or be provided with proof that the Quran is accurate when examined through the lense of science! If so, I highly recommend reading "The Bible, Quran and Science" and "The Origins of Man" by Maurice Buccaille. Here is a link to the first one: http://deenrc.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/the-biblethe-quran-science.pdf