Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Tafsirs?

Rate this topic

Sallam Alykum,

I wanted to know how do we know which tafsir is the best? For example, what makes Tafsir Al-mizan so popular? What if it contains many errors? How does the author of Tafsir Al-mizan contain so much knowledge that he can derive all these meanings from the Qur'an?

• Advanced Member

salams,

The Prophet Mohammad a.s. said:

'The worst thing I fear for my community after me is for someone to interpret the Qur'an wrongfully'.

(The Scale of Wisdom ~ Rayshahri,pg 902, #5202 and Munyat al Murid, pg 369)

The Prophet Mohammad a.s. said:

Allah the Exalted said:

'Those who interpret My words with their own opinion do not believe in me'.

(The Scale of Wisdom ~ Rayshahri, pg 902, #5201 and Bihar al Anwar vol 92, pg 107, #1)

As part of a longer tradition it is quoted from Nahj al Balagha that Imam Ali a.s.said in one of his sermons regarding the reappearance of the Qa'im

'The Qa'em will direct desires to guidance when the people have turned to greediness. he will direct views to the Qkur'an when they have directed the Qur'an to their views...he will revive the deaad teachings of the Book and Sunnah'.

Then the Imam a.s. said:

'We the Ahlu Bayt a.s. know through Divine Knowledge, judge through the Divine Comands and we follow the words of the Truthful. If you follow our words, yoiu will be guided through our light. And if you do not do that, Allah will destroy you by our hands. With us is the standard of truthfulness.

Whoever follows it will find salvation and whoever leavaes it will be destroyed'.

(Bihar alAnwar - Majlisi vol 51, pg 194)

There are so many other hadith that say this and even more about taking only the Tafsir of Ahlu Bayt a.s. I mean like why would anyone want to listen to anyone else? I once talked with someone who kept praising people who were giving tafsir of the Qur'an but they were not Ahlu Bayt a.s. I was praising the Tafsir of Imam Ali a.s. and the rest of the Masaumeen a.s.

it ended up in a battle as I felt I had to defend the only ones Allah appointed to interpret the Qur'an and told him 'o.k. If Imam Ali and your so-called scholar come to town, you can go and listen to them, but I am going with Imam Ali a.s.!

Take the best of the collections of hadith that contain only hadith of Qur'an or find the hadith that give tafsir of Qur'an by Ahlu Bayt a.s. in their collections of hadith!

• Advanced Member

Salam Aleikum!

In my humble and limited opinion I think one of the best Tafsirs written in the past 100 years is the first ever Tafsir written in English by a Sunni Alim Imam Muhammed al-Asi, check it out online, you can even buy it www.crescent-online.net Its a very contemporary approach that prepares a Muslim to deal with all current issues within an Islamic and Quranic framework.

Some here might freak-out and say " what??? you want us to read a Tafsir by a Sunni?" To calm these sectarian types I would like to note that it is a Tafsir where Shia and Sunni original sources have been used and Imam al-Asi is one of those Muslims while does not carry a label of Shia is more worthy of being Shia than many so called Shia ulema by name. Look into who he is, and you will see what I am saying. But this Tafsir is really good.

• Advanced Member

Sallam Alykum,

I wanted to know how do we know which tafsir is the best? For example, what makes Tafsir Al-mizan so popular? What if it contains many errors? How does the author of Tafsir Al-mizan contain so much knowledge that he can derive all these meanings from the Qur'an?

It's probably one of the more popular Tafseers because of the methodology the author uses i.e. he explains the Quran using the Quran itself. The argument in favor of this is that the Quran is supposed to be a light and an explanation for everything, so how can it be that it has to be illuminated or explained by something other than itself.

As regards to it containing errors, any book that is written by a fallible person is prone to contain some degree of error. The only book therefore which is completely free from error is the Quran.

As for the capabilities of Allamah Tabatabai (may Allah be pleased with him, and elevate his status), it will perhaps be easier for you to understand where they emanated from if you look into his biography; the family he was born into, his upbringing, his mentors etc.

If you like an unbiased, logical way of reasoning then you should really give it a try. :)

• Veteran Member

Shia believes that the only ones who hold a full understanding of Quraan are Ahlulbayt (prophet and imams), thus the way to know what is the true meaning of the verse has to come to us through them. The shia in early centuries of Hijra wrote many books of tafsir starting with books about the strange words in Quraan. Some words that are in Quraan were very unfamiliar to Arabs of northen arabia, they called these words Ghareeb (strange, unfamiliar)

1-Ghareeb Al-Quran by Aban bin Taghlub bin Rabah Albakri (141ah)

2-Ghareeb Al-Quran by Mohamad bin Sa'eb Alkalbi (companion of imam Sadiq)

3-Ghareeb Al-Quran by Abi waraq ,Ateyah bin Alharith Alhamadani Alkofi alttabe'i

4-Ghareeb Al-Quran by Abdulrahaman bin Mohamad Alazdi Alakofi , he compiled the previous three books in one

5-Ghareeb Al-Quran by Shiekh Abi Ja'far Ahmad bin Mohamad Altabari Alaameli the shia minister (313ah)

The second group of tafsir books studied the metaphor and analogy in Quraan (majaz = metaphor)

1-Majaz Al-Quran by Shiekh of Nahawis Alfara' Yahya bin Zeyad Alkofi (207 ,printed in 2 volums)

2-Majaz Al-Quran by Mohamad bin Ja'afar bin Mohamad , Abu Alfat'h Alhamadani

3-Majazat Al-Quran by Alsharif AlRadhi , his book is the best of this kind of tafsirs , printed

thrid group of tafsir books : the subjective tafsir ie bringing us all the verses regarding one subject from Quraan then give them all a general explanation

like what ALama Almajlisi in Bihar Alanwar did

fourth group of tafsir books are the most common and familiar ones , going through Quraan chapetr by chapter , verse by verse From Baqarah to Nas

in this group of tafsir books , the scholars had 2 trends , the first was before the 4th century were scholars relayed on the narrations to find the meaning while the second trend started after the 4th century were scholars used scientific and analytic methods to explain quran

The first who made a tafsir of this gener was Alsharif Alradhi (359 -406) he wrote a book called Haqa'eq Alta'weel

then his brother Alsharif and mortadha , he wrote "al dorar wa al gorar"

also Alshaiekh Altusi the author of "Altebyan fi tafseer alquran" (385-460)

fifth group pf tafsir are the books that tried to cover various topics of Quran like Mohkam and Motashabeh , nasih and mansookh, prophet stories etc

source:http://shiaweb.org/shia/aqaed_12/pa30.html