Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
tufguy

What Is Taraweeh

Rate this topic

Why do Sunnis do Taraweeh? Do Shias do it as well? What is its importance/significance? Did the Prophet (peace be upon him) do it?

Can you please give a ahadeeth as well so I can see where its driven from?

Why do Sunnis do Taraweeh? Do Shias do it as well? What is its importance/significance? Did the Prophet (peace be upon him) do it?

Can you please give a ahadeeth as well so I can see where its driven from?

It's a great chance to fall asleep in a Congregational prayer... After-all, who can bear standing for hours with their hands folded listening to a machine-gun firing for the same amount of time? It's ridiculous...

I heard that during the time of First khulfa ruling, in the month of ramazan people get together after aftari at a certain place, and talk about how Ali(R.A) robed of his position of being Khalif, so umer heard all this and think that this will make a become a big problem if people talk like this, so he start tarweeh to ensure people get so tired after aftari that are unable to attend such meetings and talk about khalifa.

First of all guys taraweeh doesn't go for hours, it's the last 10 days of Ramadan where we pray for hours in an attempt to catch laylatul qadr. Taraweeh goes for 30-60 mins depending on which mosque you go to.

Personally I have not been, but many people do go.

The only congregation prayer that is mandatory for us to go to is jumaa & taraweeh is only optional.

It is an institution and innovation of the second "Khalifat Al Rashiudeen (Rightly Guided Caliph)" Umar Ibn Al Khattab. The Prophet (pbuh) never practiced it, the Prophet (pbuh) did Salaat Al Tashahud. Sunnis do it because they follow Umar, while Shi'is do not, the Prophet (pbuh) never did. The significance is that Umar walks into Masjid one day, sees people reading Salaat by themselves, and tells them all to do it together, "Shoulder to shoulder, toe to toe." After which, he says "What an excellent Bid'ah (innovation) I have started". The Hadith I will give for this, I won't even focus on Shi'a hadith, let's see what Sunni books say on this:

Tarikh Tabari 14:114-5

Tabaqat Al Kubra 3:281

In this Hadith, the Prophet (pbuh) forbade Tarawih from being preformed in a gathering, or Jama'at:

Sahih Al Bukhari #8.73.134 (to make it easier, let me write this from for you)

Volume 8, Book 73, Number 134 :

Narrated by Zaid bin Thabit

Allah's Apostle made a small room (with a palm leaf mat). Allah's Apostle came out (of his house) and prayed in it. Some men came and joined him in his prayer. Then again the next night they came for the prayer, but Allah's Apostle delayed and did not come out to them. So they raised their voices and knocked the door with small stones (to draw his attention). He came out to them in a state of anger, saying, "You are still insisting (on your deed, i.e. Tarawih prayer in the mosque) that I thought that this prayer (Tarawih) might become obligatory on you. So you people, offer this prayer at your homes, for the best prayer of a person is the one which he offers at home, except the compulsory (congregational) prayer."

This one is the one where it is clearly seen as a Bid'ah, and Umar says he made it, and admits to it being an "Excellent Bid'ah":

Sahih Bukhari #3.32.227:

Volume 3, Book 32, Number 227 :

Narrated by Abu Huraira

Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever prayed at night the whole month of Ramadan out of sincere Faith and hoping for a reward from Allah, then all his previous sins will be forgiven." Ibn Shihab (a sub-narrator) said, "Allah's Apostle died and the people continued observing that (i.e. Nawafil offered individually, not in congregation), and it remained as it was during the Caliphate of Abu Bakr and in the early days of 'Umar's Caliphate." 'Abdur Rahman bin 'Abdul Qari said, "I went out in the company of 'Umar bin Al-Khattab one night in Ramadan to the mosque and found the people praying in different groups. A man praying alone or a man praying with a little group behind him. So, 'Umar said, 'In my opinion I would better collect these (people) under the leadership of one Qari (Reciter) (i.e. let them pray in congregation!)'. So, he made up his mind to congregate them behind Ubai bin Ka'b. Then on another night I went again in his company and the people were praying behind their reciter. On that, 'Umar remarked, 'What an excellent Bid'a (i.e. innovation in religion) this is; but the prayer which they do not perform, but sleep at its time is better than the one they are offering.' He meant the prayer in the last part of the night. (In those days) people used to pray in the early part of the night."

So yeah, I hope you found that as a help.

Awesome sources man! Never seen these before!

It is an institution and innovation of the second "Khalifat Al Rashiudeen (Rightly Guided Caliph)" Umar Ibn Al Khattab. The Prophet (pbuh) never practiced it, the Prophet (pbuh) did Salaat Al Tashahud. Sunnis do it because they follow Umar, while Shi'is do not, the Prophet (pbuh) never did. The significance is that Umar walks into Masjid one day, sees people reading Salaat by themselves, and tells them all to do it together, "Shoulder to shoulder, toe to toe." After which, he says "What an excellent Bid'ah (innovation) I have started". The Hadith I will give for this, I won't even focus on Shi'a hadith, let's see what Sunni books say on this:

In this Hadith, the Prophet (pbuh) forbade Tarawih from being preformed in a gathering, or Jama'at:

Allah's Apostle made a small room (with a palm leaf mat). Allah's Apostle came out (of his house) and prayed in it. Some men came and joined him in his prayer. Then again the next night they came for the prayer, but Allah's Apostle delayed and did not come out to them. So they raised their voices and knocked the door with small stones (to draw his attention). He came out to them in a state of anger, saying, "You are still insisting (on your deed, i.e. Tarawih prayer in the mosque) that I thought that this prayer (Tarawih) might become obligatory on you. So you people, offer this prayer at your homes, for the best prayer of a person is the one which he offers at home, except the compulsory (congregational) prayer."

This one is the one where it is clearly seen as a Bid'ah, and Umar says he made it, and admits to it being an "Excellent Bid'ah":

Sahih Bukhari #3.32.227:

Narrated by Abu Huraira

Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever prayed at night the whole month of Ramadan out of sincere Faith and hoping for a reward from Allah, then all his previous sins will be forgiven." Ibn Shihab (a sub-narrator) said, "Allah's Apostle died and the people continued observing that (i.e. Nawafil offered individually, not in congregation), and it remained as it was during the Caliphate of Abu Bakr and in the early days of 'Umar's Caliphate." 'Abdur Rahman bin 'Abdul Qari said, "I went out in the company of 'Umar bin Al-Khattab one night in Ramadan to the mosque and found the people praying in different groups. A man praying alone or a man praying with a little group behind him. So, 'Umar said, 'In my opinion I would better collect these (people) under the leadership of one Qari (Reciter) (i.e. let them pray in congregation!)'. So, he made up his mind to congregate them behind Ubai bin Ka'b. Then on another night I went again in his company and the people were praying behind their reciter. On that, 'Umar remarked, 'What an excellent Bid'a (i.e. innovation in religion) this is; but the prayer which they do not perform, but sleep at its time is better than the one they are offering.' He meant the prayer in the last part of the night. (In those days) people used to pray in the early part of the night."

Say no more.

Wasalam alaikum wa rahmatullahay wa barakatu

Awesome sources indeed AlAjal.

But you know, although taraweeh is definitely bid'ah, and I don't mean to take that lightly at all, at least they have some hardcore dedication. In that, as the Sunni brother mentioned, for something optional, they sure do get a hell of a lot of people to come to it and participate in the masjid and prayer. Comparing it to Shia communities, its sad to see so many more Sunnis dedicated to something that's not even part of the religion than with what we have, which often goes ignored.

I remember going to a Sunni masjid as a kid at night, and there would be basketball and football every night for the kids to play, and it was amazing. i went there recently and they had a youth lounge for the youth, small circles of discussion with people just chilling, and no main program. And its not a numbers thing either for the amount of people, its the ratio in general. Prof. Takim documents this in his Shi'ism in North America. iA we can build better communties with more than just speeches and dua.

Your right about our sunni mosques.

The mosque I go to has obviously 2 prayer rooms which hold about 500 each.

Then a very extensive book & clothing shop, a commercial restaurant, a youth area with pool tables, table tennis & lounges, a full commercial gym, boxing ring & full equipment with a seperate trainer for each in boxing, kickboxing & jui jitsu, basketball ring with co editions for youths. They hold nightly lectures & classes in aspects of Islam from beginners to advanced, children's classes & Arabic lessons. They have ladies nights were the women get a lecture & get to to ask the sheikh questions...

Mashallah it's a very good set up for the community.

Your right about our sunni mosques.

The mosque I go to has obviously 2 prayer rooms which hold about 500 each.

Then a very extensive book & clothing shop, a commercial restaurant, a youth area with pool tables, table tennis & lounges, a full commercial gym, boxing ring & full equipment with a seperate trainer for each in boxing, kickboxing & jui jitsu, basketball ring with co editions for youths. They hold nightly lectures & classes in aspects of Islam from beginners to advanced, children's classes & Arabic lessons. They have ladies nights were the women get a lecture & get to to ask the sheikh questions...

Mashallah it's a very good set up for the community.

We Shia also have similar mosques =] with gyms, spas, sport programs, book stores, etc.

First of all guys taraweeh doesn't go for hours, it's the last 10 days of Ramadan where we pray for hours in an attempt to catch laylatul qadr. Taraweeh goes for 30-60 mins depending on which mosque you go to.

Personally I have not been, but many people do go.

The only congregation prayer that is mandatory for us to go to is jumaa & taraweeh is only optional.

But do you understand that this prayer is one which RasulAllaah (pbuh) never said to do in jama'a

(bismillah)

Good post. Read it.

The taraweeh is, apparently, a sunna mu'akkid of the Holy Prophet (sawa) in that he (sawa) would increase the nafilah in the nights of Shahr Ramadan.

Praying taraweeh is rewarding and sunna. Praying it in jamaa`ah is a bid`ah.

والله العالم

في امان الله

taraweeh done induvidually is not sunnah. The prophet saww never read the 20 or whatever rakats after isha etc that the sunnis do. There is no evidence for that. The prophet saww read the prayers after midnight. So it is something different i.e. tahajjud

Edited by gajarkahalva

(bismillah)

taraweeh done induvidually is not sunnah. The prophet saww never read the 20 or whatever rakats after isha etc that the sunnis do. There is no evidence for that. The prophet saww read the prayers after midnight. So it is something different i.e. tahajjud

You obviously did not read the post I linked to.

I am quoting Shaykh Abbas Qummi from Mafatih al Jinan so we all benefit from it:

Ýí ÇáÍÏíË Ãäø ãóä ÞÑà Ýí ßõá áóíáóÉ ãöä ÔóåÑ ÑóãóÖÇä ÓæÑÉ [ ÅöäÇ ÝóÊóÍäÇ ] Ýí ÕáÇÉ ãÓäæäÉ ßÇäó ãÕæäÇ Ýí Ðáößó ÇáÚÇã.

æÃÚáã Ãäø ãöä ÃÚãÇá áóíÇáí ÔóåÑ ÑóãóÖÇä ÇáÕáÇÉ ÃáÝ ÑßÚÉ¡ æÞóÏ ÃÔÇÑ ÇáíåÇ ÇáãÔÇíÎ æÇáÇÚÇÙã Ýí ßÊÈåã Ýí ÇáÝÞå æÝí ÇáÚÈÇÏÉ. æÃãÇ ßíÝíÉ åÐå ÇáÕáÇÉ ÝóÞÏ ÃÎÊáÝÊ ÝíåÇ ÇáÑæÇíÇÊ¡ æåöíó Úáì ãÇÑæÇåÇ ÇÈä ÃÈí ÞÑÉ Úóä ÇáÌæÇÏ (Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã) ¡ æÃÎÊÇÑåÇ ÇáãÝíÏ Ýí ßÊÇÈ (ÇáÛÑíÉ æÇáÇÔÑÇÝ) Èá æÇÎÊÇÑåÇ ÇáãÔåæÑ åöíó: Ãä íÕáí ãäåÇ Ýí ßõá áóíáóÉ ãöä áóíÇáí ÇáÚÔÑ ÇáÃæøáì æÇáËøÇäöíóÉ ÚóÔóÑíäó ÑßÚÉ íÓáã Èíä ßõá ÑßÚÊíä ÝíÕáí ãäåÇ ËãÇä ÑßÚÇÊ ÈóÚÏ ÕáÇÉ ÇáãÛÑÈ¡ æÇáÈÇÞíÉ æåöíó ÃËäÊÇ ÚóÔÑÉ ÑßÚÉ ÊÄÎÑ Úóä ÕáÇÉ ÇáÚÔÇÁ æÝí ÇáÚÔÑ ÇáÇÎóíÑÉ íÕáí ãäåÇ ßõá áóíáóÉ ËáÇËíä ÑßÚÉ íÄÊí ËãÇä ãäåÇ ÈóÚÏ ÕáÇÉ ÇáãÛÑÈ ÃíÖÇð æíÄÎÑ ÇáÈÇÞíÉ Úóä ÇáÚÔÇÁ ÝÇáãÌãæÚ íßæä ÓÈÚãÇÆÉ ÑßÚÉ æåöíó ÊäÞÕ Úóä ÇáÇáÝ ÑßÚÉ ËáÇËãÇÆÉ ÑßÚÉ¡ æåöíó ÊÄÏì Ýí áóíÇáí ÇáÞóÏÑ¡ æåöíó: (ÇááøíáÉ ÇáÊøÇÓöÚóÉ ÚóÔÑÉ æÇáÍÇÏöíÉ æÇáÚöÔÑæä æÇáËøÇáöËóÉ æÇáÚöÔÑæä)¡ ÝíÎÕ ßõáÇø ãöä åÐå ÇááíÇáí ÈãÇÆÉ ÑßÚÉ ãäåÇ ÝÊÊã ÇáÇáÝ ÑßÚÉ. æÞóÏ æÒÚ åÐå ÇáÕáÇÉ Úáì ÇáÔøåÑ ÈäÍæ ÂÎÑ¡ æÊÝÕíá Ðáß Ýí ãÞÇã ÂÎÑ æáÇ íÓÚäÇ åäÇ ÈÓØ ÇáßáÇã¡ æíÊÑÞÈ ãöä Ãóåóá ÇáÎóíÑ Ãä áÇ íÊÓÇåáæÇ Ýí ÅÞÇãÉ åÐå ÇáÕáÇÉ áßí áÇíÝæÊåã ãÇ ÃõÚÏø áåã ãöä ÇáÇÌÑ æÇáËæÇÈ.æÑæí Ãäóøßó ÊÞæá ÈóÚÏ ßõá ÑßÚÊíä ãöä äæÃÝá ÔóåÑ ÑóãóÖÇä: [ Çááøåõãóø ÇÌúÚóáú ÝöíãÇ ÊóÞúÖöí æóÊõÞóÏöøÑõ ãöäó ÇáÇóãúÑö ÇáãóÍúÊõæãö æóÝöíãÇ ÊóÝúÑõÞõ ãöäó ÇáÇóãúÑö ÇáÍóßöíãö Ýöí áóíúáóÉö ÇáÞóÏúÑö Ãóäú ÊóÌúÚóáóäöí ãöäú ÍõÌóøÇÌö ÈóíúÊößó ÇáÍóÑÇãö ÇáãóÈúÑõæÑö ÍóÌõøåõãõ ÇáãóÔúßõæÑö ÓóÚúíõåõãõ ÇáãóÛúÝõæÑö ÐõäõæÈõåõãú¡ æóÃóÓúÃóáõßó Ãóäú ÊõØöíáó ÚõãúÑöí Ýöí ØÇÚóÊößó æóÊõæóÓöøÚó áöí Ýöí ÑöÒúÞöí íÇÃóÑúÍóãó ÇáÑóøÇÍöãöíäó ].

It is narrated that whoever recites Surah Inna Fatah`na (Surah 48) in the recommended prayers every night (in this month), then he shall remain free from all troubles that year.

Let it be clear that among the a'amaal of this month are 1000 Rak`as of prayers which shall be recited in this entire month. Esteemed 'ulema have mentioned this in books of fiqh and books about worship. As for the method of offering these prayers then several different traditions have been narrated about it.

But according to the tradition by Ibn Abi Qurra, Imam Muhammad Taqi (a) has said, which has been narrated by Shaykh Mufid (rh) in his book Kitab al-Ghurriya wa al-Ishraf and this is the one which is most famous (of the traditions about these prayers) and it is as follows: In the first and second group of ten nights (first and second ashr`) recite every prayer (of the recommended prayers) in groups of two Rak`as. In this manner, perform 8 Rak`as after the Maghrib prayers and 12 Rak`as after the Isha prayers. Then in the last ten nights (third ashr`) of the month of Ramadan perform 30 Rak`as of prayer every night in the same manner as mentioned earlier; that is, perform 8 Rak`as after Maghrib and 22 Rak`as after Isha. He should complete the remaining 300 Rak`as (of the 1000 Rak`as) in such a way that he performs 100 Rak`as on the night of the 19th, 100 Rak`as on the night of the 21st and 100 Rak`as on the night of the 23rd so that together 1000 Rak`as shall be completed. [...]

The tradition also states after every two Rak`as of the recommended prayers in the month of Ramadan, one should say:

Çááøåõãóø ÇÌúÚóáú ÝöíãÇ ÊóÞúÖöí æóÊõÞóÏöøÑõ ãöäó ÇáÇóãúÑö ÇáãóÍúÊõæãö æóÝöíãÇ ÊóÝúÑõÞõ ãöäó ÇáÇóãúÑö ÇáÍóßöíãö Ýöí áóíúáóÉö ÇáÞóÏúÑö Ãóäú ÊóÌúÚóáóäöí ãöäú ÍõÌóøÇÌö ÈóíúÊößó ÇáÍóÑÇãö ÇáãóÈúÑõæÑö ÍóÌõøåõãõ ÇáãóÔúßõæÑö

ÓóÚúíõåõãõ ÇáãóÛúÝõæÑö ÐõäõæÈõåõãú¡ æóÃóÓúÃóáõßó Ãóäú ÊõØöíáó ÚõãúÑöí Ýöí ØÇÚóÊößó æóÊõæóÓöøÚó áöí Ýöí ÑöÒúÞöí íÇÃóÑúÍóãó ÇáÑóøÇÍöãöíäó

Clearly it is not tahajjud / Salat al-Layl. And you can see from this the 3 recommended number of rak`a the Sunni madhahib disagree on.

Hanbalis & Shafi`is: 8

Hanafis: 20

Malikis: 36

8 is from just counting the specific 8 Rasulullah (sawa) would do after `Isha. 20 is from adding the 12 from after maghrib to the 8 after `Isha. 36 is a result of adding together all the Nawafil in the night, except fajr and its nafila [4 raka of maghrib nafilah + the 12 taraweeh + 1 (isha nafila sitting) + 8 taraweeh + 11 tahajjud = 36].

Fiqh of Ahlulbayt [as] explains everything, man...even how wrong everyone else is =P

æÇááå ÇáÚÇáã

Ýí ÇãÇä Çááå

(bismillah)

http://www.shiachat....ost__p__2234169

Good post. Read it.

The taraweeh is, apparently, a sunna mu'akkid of the Holy Prophet (sawa) in that he (sawa) would increase the nafilah in the nights of Shahr Ramadan.

Praying taraweeh is rewarding and sunna. Praying it in jamaa`ah is a bid`ah.

والله العالم

في امان الله

Yeah brother, I just read what you posted, in my post above, I said joining the tarawih prayers together is the Bid'ah of Umar. Taraweeh it's self is a sunnat salaat, the prophet forbad it to be read in Jamat though that's the thing. I believe Sayyed Ammar Nakshawani had a lecture on this topic.

^Correct; do you have ahaadeeth contrary to the ahaadeeth which explicitly state taraweeh in jama'a was ordained by 'Umar? And I am referring to ahaadeeth from Sunni sources, not Shi'i.

Taraweeh is haram

It's a very very long prayer. All my friends around me are sunni and they choose to go pray and thats their decision, but my family told me not to follow them as this was something made from Omar himself not the prophet saws.

Giving Short Talks after Four Rakat in Taraweeh Prayer

Imam Muhammad Nasir Ad Deen Al Albani

Translated by Rasheed Barbee

http://mtws.posterous.com

The Imam Muhammad Nasir Ad Deen Al Albani may Allah have mercy upon him said...

The standing in prayer during Ramadan has only been legislated to increase in the closeness to Allah the Mighty and Majestic by standing in prayer. For this reason we don't see that we should make the tawareeh prayer mixed with something from knowledge or teaching or anything like that. It is only befitting that standing in prayer be pure unadulterated worship. As for knowledge then it has it's time. It is not limited to a particular time. Rather one should consider what is beneficial to those learning, and this is the foundation.

And therefore I intended by this to say that the one who makes a practice of teaching the people after every four rakats for example during the tawareeh prayer, taking this as a habit, then this is something newly invented that opposes the Sunnah.

Taken from the tape series the guidance and the light number 693 at the 28 minute on the tape, by The Shaykh Muhammad Nasir Ad Deen Al Abani may Allah have mercy upon him.

http://salaf-us-saal...-shaykh-albani/

So al-albani forbides innovating in an innovation

Edited by Ali_Hussain

(bismillah)

You obviously did not read the post I linked to.

Clearly it is not tahajjud / Salat al-Layl. And you can see from this the 3 recommended number of rak`a the Sunni madhahib disagree on.

Hanbalis & Shafi`is: 8

Hanafis: 20

Malikis: 36

8 is from just counting the specific 8 Rasulullah (sawa) would do after `Isha. 20 is from adding the 12 from after maghrib to the 8 after `Isha. 36 is a result of adding together all the Nawafil in the night, except fajr and its nafila [4 raka of maghrib nafilah + the 12 taraweeh + 1 (isha nafila sitting) + 8 taraweeh + 11 tahajjud = 36].

Fiqh of Ahlulbayt [as] explains everything, man...even how wrong everyone else is =P

والله العالم

في امان الله

Cool info bro. So the the taraweeh that the sunnis do are not really these prayers as they recite the quran for ages etc etc. Also is there a specific name for these prayers, or do we also refer to them as taraweeh?

its a pray muslims do on ramadan shia hate everything about islam

so of course they are against anything that islam is for.

First of all, grammar, and it's prayer, not pray, pray is the verb, prayer is the noun.

Next, read what I said above, second post, it was not practiced by the Prophet (pbuh) like the Ahlas Sunnah do it today, what you do today was started by Umar Ibn Al Khattab..

Some sunnis really do pray taraweeh with dedication.But some of my friends spend the listening part of taraweeh playing Fifa 12 on their phones while some spend their time on facebook.

Ofcourse than there are those sunni friends who don't go at all and spend their time chillin' and eating out.

No offence meant but from what I have seen( at least in my city) more and more youngsters see taraweeh as a waste of time and nothing more.

(bismillah)

Cool info bro. So the the taraweeh that the sunnis do are not really these prayers as they recite the quran for ages etc etc.

This is actually a later practice that came later, but it is something good. Incorporating that into our nafilah and farida is a good idea, I believe.

Also is there a specific name for these prayers, or do we also refer to them as taraweeh?

Not sure. I refer to them as such kind of out of taqiyya.

والله العالم

في امان الله

Brained

(Some sunnis really do pray taraweeh with dedication.But some of my friends spend the listening part of taraweeh playing Fifa 12 on their phones while some spend their time on facebook.)

Taraweeh my friend is namaz its prayers where you perform actions how in the world can anyone play a game while in state of namaz? Honestly the ignorance of yourself i mean 'listening part of taraweeh'??

Wot is listening part of taraweeh?? I am eager to learn because i read taraweeh NAMAZ and in any masjid of sunni unless your a kid if you start playing games AS NAMAZ IS IN PROGRESS if not beaten you will be thrown out!!

As well as in hell by the almighty

And let me know which city because in my city they are abundant

Because most people have weak will,

because most people are not good reciters of the Holy Quraan,

I have myself found multiple benefits from the Taraweeh during Ramadan when the only mosque near me was led by the Ahle-Sunna brothers.

It helped in food digestion, and I even felt Allah's Rehmat showering on the whole of the conggregation.

The kids would play outside in the mosque lawn as many muslim families are poor and live in the apts.

Our communities are generally poor.

Brained

you have to listen to the Quran here, than you get up to pray and again sit back to listen to reciter. and its karachi.

Salam brother i dont know bout that but the only quran we read is in the namaz itself i am sunni brailwy who are a majority in pakistan and i have never seen or heard that. We try and finish a chapter in 20 rakahs any masjid i go to here in uk as well as pakistan but if you have seen it then,sorry for my ignorance but its not majority!

On 7/31/2012 at 3:26 AM, al-`Ajal Ya Imaam said:

Sahih Bukhari #3.32.227:

Narrated by Abu Huraira

Then if I prayed Taraweeh in the confines of my own home, not in congregation, would it still be Bid'ah in a Shia' standpoint?  To be fair, Taraweeh is simply reciting the Qu'ran from beginning till end throughout the month, while in prayer.  And is considered optional within Sunnism, not obligatory.

On 6/22/2016 at 12:48 PM, wmehar2 said:

Then if I prayed Taraweeh in the confines of my own home, not in congregation, would it still be Bid'ah in a Shia' standpoint?  To be fair, Taraweeh is simply reciting the Qu'ran from beginning till end throughout the month, while in prayer.  And is considered optional within Sunnism, not obligatory.

Why not just read the Quran then? The Prophet never prayed taraweeh the way it is prayed today.

On 6/22/2016 at 4:58 PM, shiaman14 said:

Why not just read the Quran then? The Prophet never prayed taraweeh the way it is prayed today.

Wouldn't make too much of a difference either way I see it,

On 6/22/2016 at 5:16 PM, wmehar2 said:

Wouldn't make too much of a difference either way I see it,

Do you think we should follow the sunna of the prophet by praying 11 rakata nafila / night prayer / tahajud?

OR  we should invent taraweeh which has never been performed by the prophet even if it individual with  undefined 8 or 20 rakats?

On 6/22/2016 at 10:15 PM, skamran110 said:

Do you think we should follow the sunna of the prophet by praying 11 rakata nafila / night prayer / tahajud?

OR  we should invent taraweeh which has never been performed by the prophet even if it individual with  undefined 8 or 20 rakats?

Rather than just following something blindly, I'd like to try and sit and contemplate.   Two reasons Allah SWT put us here and gave us guidance, to worship Him, and afterward to be righteous.  I'm not going to bend over backwards and break my back on this subject as I'm certain Allah SWT isn't going to look at the Sunni's and give them a hard time for trying to be closer to Him in an unconventional sense with regards to Umar telling them to pray in congregation..

The prophet's before didn't pray the way ours did, and similar with each other. No need to get our undies in a bunch over this topic I think.  Last I checked God does look at intentions.  More than half sunni's are not really thinking of Umar when they pray Taraweeh as they're probably doing it for Allah SWT, considering they're reading the Qu'ran from beginning to end. 

The Sunni's are under the impression that it wasn't Tahajud, and that it was Taraweeh, even though they still pray Tahajud too.. so to me that's an indication for intention/sincerity to get close to God.

This "Bid'ah" doesn't change the Prophet's SAW message, or the essence of Islam in anyway shape or form.   I see it as no different from the Bid'ah of the Shia' Adhan, which has not taken place in the life of the prophet but surely has been deemed Bid'ah Hasana by the Shia'.  If the Sunni's said that Taraweeh is mandatory, I could see why it would be considered Bid'ah Say'iah, but they say it's optional.  Hows that different from the optional Rakaats after our Salah?

"Oh you who believe! Ask not about things, which if made plain to you, may cause you trouble. If you ask about them while the Qur'an is being revealed, they will be made plain to you"(5:101).

This verse tells us that those actions about which the Qur'an is silent, they should not become a subject of useless questioning. Allah's silence is a mercy. If Allah has not prohibited it, then it is permissible for us. Allah also says: 

"Those who believe and do righteous deeds, there is no sin on them for what they ate (in the past)" (5:93).

According to Shia Islam the definition of bid'ah is anything that is introduced to Islam as either being fard, mustahabb, makruh or haram that contradicts the Qur'an or hadith. Any new good practice introduced that does not contradict the Qur'an or hadith is permissible. However, it is not permissible to say that a new good practice is obligatory, highly recommended or "sunnah" proper. Hence, the Shi`a stance mirrors the body of Sunni scholars who proffer the idea of "bid'ah hasana". As a general rule in Shi'a jurisprudence, anything is permissible except whatever is prohibited through divine revelation.

• -Introduction to Bid'ah from the Shia website Answering Ansar
  • -Detailed Explanation of the Shi'a view on Bid'ah

I digress.