Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Do You Know That Umar Used To Run From Battles?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

I've always heard this.....but never seen any evidence. would be interesting to see some.

al-majlisi mentions it in hayat al-qulub vol. 2 (but this book isn't in hadith form - I think the persian one is? - the english version is in the form of a story)

After the Morning Prayers the Prophet commenced his march down the valley of Hunain, which abounded in defiles and declivities. The Bani Sulaym who composed the vanguard of the Prophet army being simultaneously attacked on all sides by division of the Hawazins, gave way and fled, throwing the whole army, into disorder and flight, with the exception of Amirul Momineen (a.s.) and the few companions of the Prophet, before whom the fugitives rushed without paying any regard to him.

Abbas held the bridle of the Prophet mule’s on the right, and Abu Sufyan bin Harith bin Abdul Muttalib on the left. The Prophet cried to the fugitives, “O company of Ansaris, where are you going! Come to me; I am Messenger of Allah (S)!” But no one turned back. Nasiba, the daughter of Mazinah, cast dust at the faces of the fugitives, saying, “From God and the Prophet whither do you flee!”

At length Umar passed her, to whom she said, “What is this which you do?” He replied, “Such is the providence of God.” The Prophet than ran his mule to Amirul Momineen (a.s.), who with drawn sword was bravely defending the Muslims standard that he held. As Abbas was a tall man with a powerful voice, the Prophet ordered him to ascend an adjacent hill and shout to the people, “Where are you going? O companions of Baqarah and companions of the allegiance of the tree!

section 44 http://www.al-islam....qir-al-majlisi/

Edited by Ali_Hussain

We set out in the company of Allah's Apostle on the day (of the battle) of Hunain. When we faced the enemy, the Muslims retreated and I saw a pagan throwing himself over a Muslim. I turned around and came upon him from behind and hit him on the shoulder with the sword He (i.e. the pagan) came towards me and seized me so violently that I felt as if it were death itself, but death overtook him and he released me. I followed 'Umar bin Al Khattab and asked (him), "What is wrong with the people (fleeing)?" He replied, "This is the Will of Allah,"

Sahih Bukhari Volume 4, Book 53, Number 370

Narrated Abu Qatada: When it was the day of (the battle of) Hunain...... The Muslims (excepting the Prophet and some of his companions) started fleeing and I too, fled with them. Suddenly I met 'Umar bin Al-Khattab amongst the people and I asked him, "What is wrong with the people?" He said, "It is the order of Allah" Then the people returned to Allah's Apostle (after defeating the enemy). ......

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 5, Book 59, Hadith 611

"as everyone sought to save his own skin by taking flight except such men as Ali ibn Abu Talib whom God had guided and protected." (The Life of Muhammad (S), 1935, Cairo)

Edited by Goku
  • Advanced Member

al-majlisi mentions it in hayat al-qulub vol. 2 (but this book isn't in hadith form - I think the persian one is? - the english version is in the form of a story)

After the Morning Prayers the Prophet commenced his march down the valley of Hunain, which abounded in defiles and declivities. The Bani Sulaym who composed the vanguard of the Prophet army being simultaneously attacked on all sides by division of the Hawazins, gave way and fled, throwing the whole army, into disorder and flight, with the exception of Amirul Momineen (a.s.) and the few companions of the Prophet, before whom the fugitives rushed without paying any regard to him.

Abbas held the bridle of the Prophet mule’s on the right, and Abu Sufyan bin Harith bin Abdul Muttalib on the left. The Prophet cried to the fugitives, “O company of Ansaris, where are you going! Come to me; I am Messenger of Allah (S)!” But no one turned back. Nasiba, the daughter of Mazinah, cast dust at the faces of the fugitives, saying, “From God and the Prophet whither do you flee!”

At length Umar passed her, to whom she said, “What is this which you do?” He replied, “Such is the providence of God.” The Prophet than ran his mule to Amirul Momineen (a.s.), who with drawn sword was bravely defending the Muslims standard that he held. As Abbas was a tall man with a powerful voice, the Prophet ordered him to ascend an adjacent hill and shout to the people, “Where are you going? O companions of Baqarah and companions of the allegiance of the tree!

section 44 http://www.al-islam....qir-al-majlisi/

Thanks a lot bro :D

• Advanced Member

Why the hate threads?

So what if he ran from battles, we all know imam Ali a.s was Allahs lion so this makes you belittle others??

I just don't get the hate?

You never see hate threads like this on Sunni forums against the Shia.

This is back biting & what is the punishment according to the Shia for back biting?

For us Sunnis the punishment comes in many forms, one being a Hadith which states that a man who back bites another will give his good deeds to the one he back bites, pretty severe punishment.

I heard he would run a distance equal to 2-3 days of travel.....

But of course I will be refuted by the one who calls Imam Ali a short black man.

Who is the man in the picture?

Is it supposed to be imam Ali a.s?

I have never heard this before, imam Ali a.s a short black man? We have always been taught he imam ali a.s is Allah awjs lion.

• Advanced Member

Why the hate threads?

Allah ho akbar , Allah ho akbar , Allah ho akbar , what a open lie .....! we have no hatred against sunni brothers but it's the sunni's, who have dedicated falls websites ,forms , Facebook community and so on against the shia's .....! i know the way these ppl have started this topic is not really the way they should have but i would say looking at the other forms by sunni's this response will be normal ....!

• Advanced Member

Allah ho akbar , Allah ho akbar , Allah ho akbar , what a open lie .....! we have no hatred against sunni brothers but it's the sunni's, who have dedicated falls websites ,forms , Facebook community and so on against the shia's .....! i know the way these ppl have started this topic is not really the way they should have but i would say looking at the other forms by sunni's this response will be normal ....!

I have no reason to lie, if it was the case I would say so.. On the 2 Sunni forms I attend there is not one thread that slanders the beliefs of the Shia, talks about the Shia or even mentions the Shia. It really is not a topic of interest as we believe backbiting carries a severe punishment.

The only time Shia come up is when the topic of Syria is discussed, how the Shia support Bashar, how the Shia don't halo Palestine, but as far as hate you won't see it because people just don't seem to waste their time with it...

It really really shocks me that Sayed Ammar is a part of your sect & I'm pretty sure after watching a lot of his lectures that he wouldn't approve of this and other hate threads.

Without a word of lie as a sunni he inspires me to be a better Muslim, why doesn't he do the same for you as a Shia?

• Advanced Member

@ me sunni ->i guess ur living in a world of ur own ! i don't know why sunni have made this thing that we support bashar ..... we don't have any thing to do with him and in that case i can also say the same of how u the "sunnis " are supporting the saudi army in Bahrain.... killing of our brothers/sisters in Bahrain.... ! don't be diplomatic , be honest to ur own self ...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94UXvv3eQfA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ha94Xz59dg

And there is always a difference between what you say and what you do !

• Advanced Member

I have no reason to lie, if it was the case I would say so.. On the 2 Sunni forms I attend there is not one thread that slanders the beliefs of the Shia, talks about the Shia or even mentions the Shia. It really is not a topic of interest as we believe backbiting carries a severe punishment.

The only time Shia come up is when the topic of Syria is discussed, how the Shia support Bashar, how the Shia don't halo Palestine, but as far as hate you won't see it because people just don't seem to waste their time with it...

It really really shocks me that Sayed Ammar is a part of your sect & I'm pretty sure after watching a lot of his lectures that he wouldn't approve of this and other hate threads.

Without a word of lie as a sunni he inspires me to be a better Muslim, why doesn't he do the same for you as a Shia?

Check out kr-hcy forum and you will see the amount of hate you guys have against us. And also do not forget the innumerable killings in Pakistani shia mosques and elsewhere across the mideast.

• Advanced Member

@adnan. Just like I said, I don't have anything against the Shia in any way & have Shia friends who I consider my Muslim brothers.

As for the Shia supporting Bashar, maybe you don't, but Iran does, Hezbollah does & all the Shia call the alawis their cousins.

As for the videos you posted, they are just plain sad!

Maybe living in the west has something to do with with what I see? Maybe we are isolated from this hate you have shown me?

I really don't know, but can honestly tell you that there is no hate here for Shia.

Check out kr-hcy forum and you will see the amount of hate you guys have against us. And also do not forget the innumerable killings in Pakistani shia mosques and elsewhere across the mideast.

Someone did say it in another post how the killings of Shia in Pakistan & Bahrain isn't published?

I am not denying it & if you tell me this then I believe it 100%.

I do know that the Saudis treat the Shia very badly during hajj, but Allah awj is big, he sees all & these people WILL pay for there sins.

My neighbor went to hajj last year were his friend was jailed for something rediculous.. I'm sure you heard about it. He was an Iraqi Australian man of middle age, big family, nice man who had health problems due to a car accident, he is also diabetic, the Australian government had to intervene (I think), and was told that his breaking if the so called law was practicing shia rituals.

My other neighbors cousin put a rock down before praying in the prophet saws mosque & a guard kicked him to the ground & threatened him with jail, so he couldn't pray with his rock?

Is this Islamic? Is this how our prophet saws acted? No way!

May Allah awj guide this people back to Islam & the way our prophet saws practiced Islam.

• Advanced Member

I don't know what to tell you, your telling me almost as if you dint see me slapping you and as u dint see it , it doesn't hurt you !

these people WILL pay for there sins-> yes for sure they will but why are you silent / being silent is almost being with those people or are they ur kalifas/imam's you can not speak any thing against them .

There is a Very big difference between Sunni aqeedah and wahhabi/salafi aqeedah.

Rock ? so you don't know much about shia islam and you have come to discuss/debate , gr8 job this is the place were you will learn new stuff !

Things going in midle east have nothing to with shia sunni islam , its a shame then that you dont support ppl who are against the unjust regime !( Bahrain u close ur eyes )

bashar al asad man man man there is whole political thing going on at the background there is no shia sunni thing in it. we don't support nor they are our cousins stop giving relations .

I have travel the world now and i know how much hatred sunni have for us , ur relay ignorant of things then .

Why the hate threads?

So what if he ran from battles, we all know imam Ali a.s was Allahs lion so this makes you belittle others??

I just don't get the hate?

This is back biting & what is the punishment according to the Shia for back biting?

For us Sunnis the punishment comes in many forms, one being a Hadith which states that a man who back bites another will give his good deeds to the one he back bites, pretty severe punishment.

Hate thread? We are discussing a historical account of umar's conduct in battle. He left our Prophet (saw) when he needed people the most. Moula Ali (as) on the other hand stayed and fought - he was not a coward.

Who is the man in the picture?

Is it supposed to be imam Ali a.s?

I have never heard this before, imam Ali a.s a short black man? We have always been taught he imam ali a.s is Allah awjs lion.

• Advanced Member

I don't know what to tell you, your telling me almost as if you dint see me slapping you and as u dint see it , it doesn't hurt you !

these people WILL pay for there sins-> yes for sure they will but why are you silent / being silent is almost being with those people or are they ur kalifas/imam's you can not speak any thing against them .

There is a Very big difference between Sunni aqeedah and wahhabi/salafi aqeedah.

Rock ? so you don't know much about shia islam and you have come to discuss/debate , gr8 job this is the place were you will learn new stuff !

Things going in midle east have nothing to with shia sunni islam , its a shame then that you dont support ppl who are against the unjust regime !( Bahrain u close ur eyes )

bashar al asad man man man there is whole political thing going on at the background there is no shia sunni thing in it. we don't support nor they are our cousins stop giving relations .

I have travel the world now and i know how much hatred sunni have for us , ur relay ignorant of things then .

It's not arrogance.. It's not shown. If I tell you something you don't know & then call u arrogant for not knowing what was the point in telling you?

The reason I come here is because the Shia here are very very little & I have got all the information about Shiism from the Shias here.

Please don't think I have no idea about Shiism at all... I have seen a lot living next door to 2 Shia families.

Being silent is like being with them?

So in your mind what do we do?

• Advanced Member

You need to calm down, please.

As for the Shia supporting Bashar, maybe you don't, but Iran does, Hezbollah does & all the Shia call the alawis their cousins.

As for the videos you posted, they are just plain sad!

All the Shi'a call the Nusayris their cousins? Where on earth did you hear that? It is unfitting to name that group as 'Alawi since Ali bin Abi Taalib (as) is above being associated with the kuffar. They are Nusayris.

• Advanced Member

we are saying that iran and hizbullah do not want this government of Syria to fall because they have interests there, same as Russia and China. But we do know that Iran and hizboulah is standing up against Zionists but in this issue it is choosing its own country interest not the interest of Muslims and the humans living in Syria. Because Syria has a Russia naval base and it is a territory Iran has airspace in, this is why these countries do not want the government to fall, not because it is fighting the Zionist. Since when in the last years have you heard Syria did anything against Israel?

We have to stop being emotional and think logically. Now Zionists and dajjal system is so scared that the present Syrian government fall because they know that an Islamic one is going to be in it like in Egypt and Gaza. So the border of Israel will not be protected as it was with the present government.

If you have a different point of view let us know with respect, no need for an emotional crisis and insults.

We are all humans with a brain, let us discuss this in a civil way.

• Advanced Member

He was faster than Carl Lewis when it came to running from battles

its so funny that shias on these forums always say that umar ra ran away from battles yet they sit in their armchair acting as an internet jihadi (which does not count btw) judging the sahabah yet they have done nothing for Islam. why dont you join hizbullah or the iranian army? actions are bigger than words. I find it amusing that shias here on this forum act like they are so great in scholarship and valour when in reality they are probably just kids or students who spend most of their time watching bollywood/hollywood films having a dodgy "halal" big Mac whilst their masjids are locked up and hardly ever open except ashura. Masha Allah - so many rambos on this forum - Im sure the shia imam al mahdi will be looking forward to having you by his side and Im sure the first 11 imams wished that they had you by their side !!!

now ask yourself this who was with the prophet pbuh in uhud answering abu sufyan?? umar ra

umar ra fought alongside the prophet pbuh in Hunayn which is a fact- I dont how you deduce such opinions when the hadiths you quote do not say what you say !!!

its so funny that shias on these forums always say that umar ra ran away from battles yet they sit in their armchair acting as an internet jihadi (which does not count btw) judging the sahabah yet they have done nothing for Islam. why dont you join hizbullah or the iranian army? actions are bigger than words. I find it amusing that shias here on this forum act like they are so great in scholarship and valour when in reality they are probably just kids or students who spend most of their time watching bollywood/hollywood films having a dodgy "halal" big Mac whilst their masjids are locked up and hardly ever open except ashura. Masha Allah - so many rambos on this forum - Im sure the shia imam al mahdi will be looking forward to having you by his side and Im sure the first 11 imams wished that they had you by their side !!!

now ask yourself this who was with the prophet pbuh in uhud answering abu sufyan?? umar ra

umar ra fought alongside the prophet pbuh in Hunayn which is a fact- I dont how you deduce such opinions when the hadiths you quote do not say what you say !!!

Sahih Bukhair, Volume 5, Book 59, Number 611:

(Translated by Mr. Mohsin Khan, the Saudi Paid Alim, and confirmed by many Saudid Ulama)

Narrated Abu Qatada:

When it was the day of (the battle of) Hunain, I saw a Muslim man fighting with one of the pagans and another pagan was hiding himself behind the Muslim in order to kill him. So I hurried towards the pagan who was hiding behind the Muslim to kill him, and he raised his hand to hit me but I hit his hand and cut it off. That man got hold of me and pressed me so hard that I was afraid (that I would die), then he knelt down and his grip became loose and I pushed him and killed him. The Muslims (excepting the Prophet and some of his companions) started fleeing and I too, fled with them. Suddenly I met 'Umar bin Al-Khattab amongst the people (who were fleeing) and I asked him, "What is wrong with the people?" He said, "It is the order of Allah"

• Advanced Member

we are saying that iran and hizbullah do not want this government of Syria to fall because they have interests there, same as Russia and China. But we do know that Iran and hizboulah is standing up against Zionists but in this issue it is choosing its own country interest not the interest of Muslims and the humans living in Syria. Because Syria has a Russia naval base and it is a territory Iran has airspace in, this is why these countries do not want the government to fall, not because it is fighting the Zionist. Since when in the last years have you heard Syria did anything against Israel?

We have to stop being emotional and think logically. Now Zionists and dajjal system is so scared that the present Syrian government fall because they know that an Islamic one is going to be in it like in Egypt and Gaza. So the border of Israel will not be protected as it was with the present government.

If you have a different point of view let us know with respect, no need for an emotional crisis and insults.

We are all humans with a brain, let us discuss this in a civil way.

I don't k is how true it is, but I have seen many profs that the zionists want Bashar out & replaced by a sharia state, same as man other countries in middle east. There plan is to have many Islamic states then make an excuse to attack...

There is many discussions on this topic & Allah awj knows best.

He just went around hitting women without any reason?

Sulaim b. Qays al-Hilali who was one the greatest companions of Amir al-Mu’minin (as) writes the following:

“Umar asked for fire and set the door on fire. He then pushed the door and went in. Fatima (as) confronted Umar and shouted: ‘Ya Abata! Ya RasulAllah! (Oh father! Oh messenger of Allah!).’ Umar raised his sword while it was in its sheath and hit Fatima (as) on her side. She cried: ‘Ya Aabta! (Oh father).’ Umar raised his whip and hit Fatima’s (as) arm with it.

From this incident she miscarried and later died.

Do you think this is reasonable?

Edited by Yoda1
  • Veteran Member

Sulaim b. Qays al-Hilali who was one the greatest companions of Amir al-Mu’minin (as) writes the following:

“Umar asked for fire and set the door on fire. He then pushed the door and went in. Fatima (as) confronted Umar and shouted: ‘Ya Abata! Ya RasulAllah! (Oh father! Oh messenger of Allah!).’ Umar raised his sword while it was in its sheath and hit Fatima (as) on her side. She cried: ‘Ya Aabta! (Oh father).’ Umar raised his whip and hit Fatima’s (as) arm with it.

Bro, every Shia it aware of this incident. however, i was only trying to understand what you meant by saying gernerally hitting women that was all.

Salaam

Can you give the references for that?

• Advanced Member

I don't k is how true it is, but I have seen many profs that the zionists want Bashar out & replaced by a sharia state, same as man other countries in middle east. There plan is to have many Islamic states then make an excuse to attack...

There is many discussions on this topic & Allah awj knows best.

see the politics going on brother , don't you smell some thing fishy in this .

http://www.rt.com/news/kofi-annan-steps-down-syria-envoy-704/

Salaam

Can you give the references for that?

Sulaim b. Qays, The book of Sulaim, p.568

Al-Bihar, Volume 29, Page 192. Also Sheikh Al-Mofeed has narrated this hadeeth, but in a shorter version - Al-Ikhtisas on Page 185.

Al-Bihar, Volume 8, Page 231 - Also Abihar, Volume 28, Page 51 - Amali Al-Sadooq, Page 118