Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Truth1234

Do You Know That Ali (raa) Was Black-skinned

Rate this topic

Al-Jahidh mentions in his Risaalat Fakhr Al-Sudan 'Ala Al-Baidaan:

وكان ولد عبد المطلب العشرة السَّادة دُلْماً ضخما نظر إليهم عامر بن الطُّفيل يطوفون كأنهم جمالٌ جونٌ فقال‏:‏

بهؤلاء تُمنع السَّدانة‏.‏

وكان عبد الله بن عباس أدلم ضخما‏.‏

وآل أبي طالبٍ أشرف الخلق وهم سودٌ وأدمٌ ودلْم‏.‏

The ten noble sons of Abdel Muttalib were black-skinned and huge. 'Aamir ibn Tufail watched them circumventing arounf the Ka'aba as if they were black camels and he said: 'By these men will the custodians of the Ka'aba be protected.' And Abdellah ibn Abbas was black-skinned and huge. And the Family of Abi Taalib - the noblest of all creation - were black-skinned, adam (very dark-skinned) and jet black-skinned. ' o

Abu Daud mentions in Musnad al-Tayalassi a hadith where Wahsi describes Hamza ibn Abdel Muttalib (RAA) as:

فإذا أنا بحمزة كأنه بعيرا أورق

"...I then saw Hamza as if he were an awraq (asmar) camel..."

The color awraq is from al-wurqa which means an asmar complexion. Ibn Mandhour says in his book Lisaan Al-Arab:

"Asmar in humans is the complexion called al-wurqa."

Ibn Mandhour goes on to describe the complexion called al-wurqa as "blackness with ghubra".

Read this description of Musailama found in Al-Bidaaya Wa Al-Nihaaya by Ibn Kathir:

وقيل: كان ضخما أسمر اللون كأنه جمل أورق

"It is said that he was huge, asmar-complexioned as if he were an awraq camel."

I spoke about the description of Musailama here: http://www.savethetruearabs.proboards.co....splay&thread=25

Read this description of the Prophet's (SAWS) grandfather - Abdel Mutallib:

Mohamed ibn Umar Bahriq Al-Hadrami Al-Shaafa'ie says in his book Hadaaiq Al-Anwaar Wa Mataali'i Al-Asraar Fi Seerat Al-Nabi Al-Mukhtaar:

وأما عبد المطلب فاسمه شيبة الحمد وإنما سمي عبد المطلب لأن عمه المطلب بن عبد مناف أخذه من أمه سلمى الأنصارية النجارية فقدم به ( مكة ) يردفه خلفه وكان أسمر اللون فظن الناس أنه عبد اشتراه المطلب فقالوا قدم المطلب بعبد فلزمه ذلك الاسم

"Concerning Abdel Muttalib, whose real name is Shaibat Al-Hamd, verily he was named "Abd (the slave of) El-Muttalib" because his uncle El-Muttalib ibn Abd Manaaf took him from his mother Salma the Ansaariya (from the Ansaar) Al-Najjaariya and came to Mecca with him on the back of his riding animal and he (Abdel Muttalib) was asmar-complexioned (dark-skinned), so the people thought that he was a slave that El-Muttalib had bought, so they said: 'El-Muttalib has come with a slave'. This name then stuck to him."

Edited by Truth1234

^^^

Brother, I dont care if they were dark or bald......explain the pot belly....that's why everyone is arguing.

No one should care if they were dark or bald.....WHY THE POT BELLY!?!?!?

Aging

Gaining belly fat isn't always due to overindulging or lack of exercise. Heredity and aging may also play a role. As people age, it's natural for the percentages of lean muscle mass in their bodies to decrease and the percentages of fat to increase. Coupled with slowing metabolic rates, those effects can manifest themselves in widening tummies for people who have been slim throughout their lives. To counteract the effects of muscle loss, the American Council on Exercise recommends strength training, such as calisthenics or weightlifting.

Concerning belly fat from diet, read this:

Whole-fat dairy foods contain large amounts of saturated fat and cholesterol, states the American Heart Association. Whole-fat dairy foods can cause belly fat due to their high calorie and fat content. Dairy foods that are made with whole fat include milk, cream, butter, hard and soft cheeses, yogurt and frozen dairy products.

Wheat, rice, barley, pasta, granola, whole grain bread, and oatmeal are the best foods to eat to gain weight.

Top 10 Belly-Bloating Foods to Avoid:

Salt

Avoid the saltshaker, salt-based seasonings, and highly processed foods. Water is attracted to sodium, so when you take in higher than usual amounts, you'll temporarily retain more fluid-which contributes to a sluggish feeling, a puffy appearance, and extra water weight.

Now read about Ali's diet:

Suwayd ibn Ghaflah reports: I went to see Imam `Ali while he was in governor’s seat. Before the Imam was a bowl of sour yoghurt the smell of which I could feel. A loaf of bread of barley the husk of which I could see was in his hand. The Imam was breaking the dry bread either with his hand or with his knee!

At this time, I said to Fizzah, his slave-girl who was standing by him, “Don’t you fear Allah for treating this old man as such? Don’t you sieve the barley flour?” Fizzah said, “He has asked me not to sieve the flour.” `Ali asked, “What are you talking about?” I told him the story. At this time, `Ali said, “May my parents be ransom for the one for whom the flour was not sieved, nor did he ate fill bread of wheat for three straight days until he passed away.”

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

At about sunset on the eve of Ramadhan 20, year 40 A.H. Ume Kulthoum the Imam's daughter brought him his breakfast meal that consisted of two loaves of bread and a bowl of yoghurt, in addition to some salt. When the Imam finished his prayer, he sat down to eat. But when he saw the food, he shook his head and wept saying "I don't think that a daughter has ever hurt her father as you hurt me now". Confused, Ume Kulthoum asked her father; "But what did I do?" "How could you offer me two kinds of food in one meal? Do you want to elongate the time I stand before Allah on the day of judgement. My brother and cousin, Muhammad, the Messenger of Allah has never eaten two kinds of food in all his life. O my daughter, all those who eat delicious food or dress fine clothes will stand for a longer time before Allah, the most exalted, at the day of judgement. I swear by Allah that I will not eat anything before you remove one of the two".

After she obliged, he ate one loaf only with some salt.

Causes of Stomach Fat:

http://www.weight-lo...stomach-fat.asp

http://www.buzzle.co...fat-in-men.html

Edited by Truth1234

Aging

Gaining belly fat isn't always due to overindulging or lack of exercise. Heredity and aging may also play a role. As people age, it's natural for the percentages of lean muscle mass in their bodies to decrease and the percentages of fat to increase. Coupled with slowing metabolic rates, those effects can manifest themselves in widening tummies for people who have been slim throughout their lives. To counteract the effects of muscle loss, the American Council on Exercise recommends strength training, such as calisthenics or weightlifting.

Concerning belly fat from diet, read this:

Whole-fat dairy foods contain large amounts of saturated fat and cholesterol, states the American Heart Association. Whole-fat dairy foods can cause belly fat due to their high calorie and fat content. Dairy foods that are made with whole fat include milk, cream, butter, hard and soft cheeses, yogurt and frozen dairy products.

Wheat, rice, barley, pasta, granola, whole grain bread, and oatmeal are the best foods to eat to gain weight.

Top 10 Belly-Bloating Foods to Avoid:

Salt

Avoid the saltshaker, salt-based seasonings, and highly processed foods. Water is attracted to sodium, so when you take in higher than usual amounts, you'll temporarily retain more fluid-which contributes to a sluggish feeling, a puffy appearance, and extra water weight.

Now read about Ali's diet:

Suwayd ibn Ghaflah reports: I went to see Imam `Ali while he was in governor’s seat. Before the Imam was a bowl of sour yoghurt the smell of which I could feel. A loaf of bread of barley the husk of which I could see was in his hand. The Imam was breaking the dry bread either with his hand or with his knee!

At this time, I said to Fizzah, his slave-girl who was standing by him, “Don’t you fear Allah for treating this old man as such? Don’t you sieve the barley flour?” Fizzah said, “He has asked me not to sieve the flour.” `Ali asked, “What are you talking about?” I told him the story. At this time, `Ali said, “May my parents be ransom for the one for whom the flour was not sieved, nor did he ate fill bread of wheat for three straight days until he passed away.”

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

At about sunset on the eve of Ramadhan 20, year 40 A.H. Ume Kulthoum the Imam's daughter brought him his breakfast meal that consisted of two loaves of bread and a bowl of yoghurt, in addition to some salt. When the Imam finished his prayer, he sat down to eat. But when he saw the food, he shook his head and wept saying "I don't think that a daughter has ever hurt her father as you hurt me now". Confused, Ume Kulthoum asked her father; "But what did I do?" "How could you offer me two kinds of food in one meal? Do you want to elongate the time I stand before Allah on the day of judgement. My brother and cousin, Muhammad, the Messenger of Allah has never eaten two kinds of food in all his life. O my daughter, all those who eat delicious food or dress fine clothes will stand for a longer time before Allah, the most exalted, at the day of judgement. I swear by Allah that I will not eat anything before you remove one of the two".

After she obliged, he ate one loaf only with some salt.

Causes of Stomach Fat:

http://www.weight-lo...stomach-fat.asp

http://www.buzzle.co...fat-in-men.html

So he had a poor diet?..... First you said it is where he stored his knowledge, and now your are saying he ate unhealthy foods.....you just have to call him a fat slob one way or another.

I am requesting....no....I am COMMANDING you to stop speaking about the physical appereance of Qaseem AlJannah wal Nar.

You know what ,you and your leaders are better than Allah......happy now?

Stop, just stop.

It brings tears to the eyes and heart even thinking that such things can be said about such a man.

In reality most of the early muslim rulers were very anti Hz Ali (as). Many narrations crept into the literature to reflect that. Current Sunni ideology is beset in 2 ways. On the one side it has to contend with the Nasibi Wahhabis and on the other the deliberate maligning of individuals.

If the narrations were balanced one would expect that early descriptions of Hz Ali (as) when we was a foremost reknowned warrior would be present in the literature.

Instead we have one unflattering description that has survived. Personally I find that strange. Modern day Sunnis try to square the circle by action as apologists for these dubious narrations.

So he had a poor diet?..... First you said it is where he stored his knowledge, and now your are saying he ate unhealthy foods.....you just have to call him a fat slob one way or another.

I am requesting....no....I am COMMANDING you to stop speaking about the physical appereance of Qaseem AlJannah wal Nar.

You know what ,you and your leaders are better than Allah......happy now?

Stop, just stop.

It brings tears to the eyes and heart even thinking that such things can be said about such a man.

First let me make it clear to you that Ali ibn Abi Talib (RAA) is MY leader before he is yours. I'm telling you what is related about his diet. You can call it poor or healthy. I'm also telling you what is related about his physical appearance. You can call it ugly or attractive. And I am still waiting for you or anyone else here to give me a physical description of Ali ibn Abi Talib (RAA) from a so-called Shia source. Am I asking too much? And while you are at it, give me something from a so-called Shia source that talks about Ali's diet (RAA). This is what I am COMMANDING you to do. Either put up or shut up.

First let me make it clear to you that Ali ibn Abi Talib (RAA) is MY leader before he is yours. I'm telling you what is related about his diet. You can call it poor or healthy. I'm also telling you what is related about his physical appearance. You can call it ugly or attractive. And I am still waiting for you or anyone else here to give me a physical description of Ali ibn Abi Talib (RAA) from a so-called Shia source. Am I asking too much? And while you are at it, give me something from a so-called Shia source that talks about Ali's diet (RAA). This is what I am COMMANDING you to do. Either put up or shut up.

As I said squaring the circle. How do you rationalise the many anti-Hz Ali (as) with the more modern concept of Khalifa Rashidoon. You must reject one or tother

Really.....isn't Abu Bakr, Umar then Uthman ....THEN IMAM ALI for you

For me it is Nabi Muhammad (pbuh) then Imam Ali

And nobody asked you for a description of Sayyedna Ali

You are here only creating Fasaad and Fitna.

You are calling it a poor diet....a blind man can see that

You have gone to great lengths to prove Imam Ali (as) was fat.

Frankly.....I don't care

And yes you are asking to much because I don't need to spend my time digging up a Hadith which will not effect my views on Mawlana

I see your narrow mindedness and I see you are going to stick with you Fasaad and Fitna.....

I have one question....was Nabi Muhammad (pbuh) large and dark like the rest of the Hashimis?

This is kind of clutching at straws, but both shi'i and sunni reports of ghardir khumm, describe the armpit of Imam Ali (a) as white. It's quite a famous story.

But I would imagine, that armpits are generally lighter than the rest of the body, so it isn't really strong proof.

Our narrations however do tell us that the Prophet (s) had light skin.

Edited by Ali_Hussain

(salam)

(bismillah)

Actually when Adma is couple with Shadeed, it is said to be dark. This is description that was given to Imam al-Rida (as) as well.

(salam)

This was also given to Bilaal (ra).

وقال الشيخ الصدوق : وَ رُوِيَ عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عَلِيٍّ قَالَ حَمَلْتُ مَتَاعِي مِنَ الْبَصْرَةِ إِلَى مِصْرَ فَقَدِمْتُهَا فَبَيْنَمَا أَنَا فِي بَعْضِ الطَّرِيقِ إِذَا أَنَا بِشَيْخٍ طَوِيلٍ شَدِيدِ الْأُدْمَةِ أَبْيَضِ الرَّأْسِ وَ اللِّحْيَةِ عَلَيْهِ طِمْرَانِ أَحَدُهُمَا أَسْوَدُ وَ الْآخَرُ أَبْيَضُ فَقُلْتُ مَنْ هَذَا فَقَالُوا هَذَا بِلَالٌ مَوْلَى رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وآله فَأَخَذْتُ أَلْوَاحاً فَأَتَيْتُهُ فَسَلَّمْتُ عَلَيْهِ فَقُلْتُ لَهُ : السَّلَامُ عَلَيْكَ أَيُّهَا الشَّيْخُ

فَقَالَ : وَ عَلَيْكَ السَّلَام‏

Source: Man Laa YaHDuruh al-Faqeeh Vol. 1, Pg. 292, H. 905

Maybe Islamic Salvation or Nader Zaveri could show us some hadiths that actually describe the Imams (a) or hte Prophet (s) so we could see what our sources say and ease this debate?

The reason why we haven't posted up any ahaadeeth regarding the matter is because either they are in ibn shahr aashoob's book (in which it says shadeed al-adma) or in biHaar which sometimes takes from Sunnees. There are narrations as well which say Imaam 'Alee (as) was aHmar (red), aswar (brown), or shadeed al-adma (black). Hence, this would all be dabbling in conjecture, unless something more concrete like a SaHeeH hadeeth was there.

Edited by Abu Abdullaah