Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Azaris are native Iranian people - while Iranians respect all people including Turkish people, it should be pointed out that Azaris (sometimes spelled 'Azeri') are native-&-ethnic Northern Iranians since ancient times. Fairly recently in history Azaris adopted a new Turkic language (that is also mixed with Persian). Modern Azaris speak two languages: Persian and Turkic, but their ancient language was a form of Old-Persian (also called "Old Azari"

Old Azari language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

Screen+shot+2012-03-08+at+1.25.57+PM.png

Edited by ABA

Asalam Aleikum!

Very few Muslims, Shia and Sunni know what is happening in the Muslim majority country of Azerbaijan to Muslims since it gained its independence from USSR in 1991. Very few Shia Muslims know that Azerbaijan is the second largest Shia country in percentage terms after Iran, up to 87% of people are Shia Muslims.

Great Ulema of the school of Ahlul Bayt (as) like Sayed Ali Khamenei, Ayatollah Jafar Subhani, Ayatollah Khoi and Shahid Mustafa Chamran are ethnic Azeris. There are up to 15 million ethnic Azeris living in Iran mainly in the Azerbaijan province of Iran, the capital of the province is Tabriz.

Today Azerbaijan Republic is ruled by a despotic regime led by Ilham Aliyev who inherited his power from his father the former KGB General Geidar Aliyev. One year ago Aliyev's regime banned hijab in public schools and dozens of Islamic scholars are imprisoned today for defending hijab along with over a hundred Islamic activists.

Here are some very informative analysis I recommend all Muslims to read to know what is the situation like in Azerbaijan. I found very good analysis from the Islamic newsmagazine called Crescent International that is well known in Muslim activist circles which is led by our Sunnni brothers.

“Great game” on the Azerbaijan chessboard

http://www.crescent-online.net/2009/11/great-game-on-the-azerbaijan-chessboard-maksud-djavadov-2363-articles.html

Islamic stirrings in Tajikistan and Azerbaijan

http://www.crescent-online.net/2010/10/islamic-stirrings-in-tajikistan-and-azerbaijan-maksud-djavadov-2751-articles.html

Islamic Iran in the Azeri-Karabakh-Armenia triangle

http://www.crescent-online.net/2010/11/islamic-iran-in-the-azeri-karabakh-armenia-triangle-maksud-djavadov-2804-articles.html

Salam Hoper Jan,

Few people understand the Republic of Azerbaijan, so I will make it clear: Azarbaijan is an ancient Persian word. Azaris are ancient Iranians. Around the 13th Century Azaris language changed from a form of old Persian to a mix of Turkic/Persian (Turkic-Azerbaijani).

Later in history, Russia then took Iran's northern province by force (this stolen land was called Aran) and Russia renamed it "Republic of Azerbaijan" because there was another province in Iran already called Azarbaijan. Stalin did this to try to "reunite" the stolen province (Aran) with Iranian-Azarbaijan. That is, Stalin created a new 2nd Azerbaijan (from Aran) because he wanted to come back and take more Iranian land and pretend that he was putting these 2 lands back together. That's why there are 2 Azarbaijans: the real one that is a province of Iran today (province of Iranian-Azarbaijan) and 2nd one (Aran) now called "Republic of Azerbaijan."

Then the Iranian people trapped in the USSR from the land that Russia stole (Aran / Republic of Azerbaijan) started to lose their identity and religion (mostly by Russian force) -- their fathers and mothers read a lot of fake history books written by the USSR to keep them from wanting to return to Iran. Also the Russian-Jews that were in the USSR government tried to make the people in the new Republic of Azerbaijan godless. Much of the USSR government was controlled by Russian Jews.

When the Republic of Azerbaijan became independent a few years ago a KGB man by the name of Aliyev and his son became dictators and kept following the old USSR policy (so they could keep the land separate from Iran and steal oil resources from the people). The Republic of Azerbaijan is friendly towards Israel but hostile towards Iran. The Jews want to make a new Israel there and discriminate against the Shia.

Read More About Azaris here: http://iranianfacebo...آذری-

The Leader of the NEW Republic of Azerbaijan (a new country made from land Russia took from Iran)

http://iranianinfo.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/screen-shot-2012-06-03-at-10-39-55-am.png

Ancient Map of Iran from About 2,000 Years Ago Showing Caucuses Were Iranian

http://iranianinfo.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/screen-shot-2012-06-03-at-9-09-48-pm.png

Close up picture of Caucuses Showing They Used to be a Part of Iran up until about 150-200 years ago

http://iranianinfo.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/screen-shot-2012-06-03-at-9-14-33-pm.png

Edited by ABA

What about non azari turks

For example, there are people of Turkic origin like Turkmen (near Iran's border with Turkmenistan). I'm not saying that people of real Turkic origin don't exist. In fact I praise Turkmen people.

However, what I am saying is that Azaris are not ethnic Turks and people are sometimes confused by that because Azaris speak (in addition to Persian) a Turkic language which they adopted fairly recently in history.

(salam)

shadow_of_light:

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

What about non azari turks from Hamedan, Zanjan, Tehran, etc? I have heard that Romelu turks immigrated from turkey to Iran several centuries ago because othmani kings were cruel to shias.

The people in Zanjan are Azaris. Also some people in Hamedan are also Azaris, as well as half of Qazvin. Not too long ago Qazvin was also a part of Ostan Zanjan, also Ostan Zanjan is in the area of Azarbayjan e Iran. Zanjani's are similar to Ardabili's, Sar'aab, Khalkhal, and Miyanei's (close proximity of course). Where as Urumiyei's have their own accents, then Tabrizi's have theirs, then Khoy which is similar, and then Maraghei's. Other than the accent difference, the language is overall quite uniform. Those area's are Azari's, of course in Tehran you have a lot as well.

The non-azari turks are a small group, that you may be talking about. But in the above cities, those people are Iranian Azari's.

ws

(salam)

Well I don't know about those towns/cities. But they appear to be somewhat close by, so I would assume they may have some closeness to Qazvini's or Hamedani's. I would also not be surprised if some people there could speak azari. But I do not know.

Salam Hoper Jan,

Few people understand the Republic of Azerbaijan, so I will make it clear: Azarbaijan is an ancient Persian word. Azaris are ancient Iranians. Around the 13th Century Azaris language changed from a form of old Persian to a mix of Turkic/Persian (Turkic-Azerbaijani).

Later in history, Russia then took Iran's northern province by force (this stolen land was called Aran) and Russia renamed it "Republic of Azerbaijan" because there was another province in Iran already called Azarbaijan. Stalin did this to try to "reunite" the stolen province (Aran) with Iranian-Azarbaijan. That is, Stalin created a new 2nd Azerbaijan (from Aran) because he wanted to come back and take more Iranian land and pretend that he was putting these 2 lands back together. That's why there are 2 Azarbaijans: the real one that is a province of Iran today (province of Iranian-Azarbaijan) and 2nd one (Aran) now called "Republic of Azerbaijan."

Then the Iranian people trapped in the USSR from the land that Russia stole (Aran / Republic of Azerbaijan) started to lose their identity and religion (mostly by Russian force) -- their fathers and mothers read a lot of fake history books written by the USSR to keep them from wanting to return to Iran. Also the Russian-Jews that were in the USSR government tried to make the people in the new Republic of Azerbaijan godless. Much of the USSR government was controlled by Russian Jews.

When the Republic of Azerbaijan became independent a few years ago a KGB man by the name of Aliyev and his son became dictators and kept following the old USSR policy (so they could keep the land separate from Iran and steal oil resources from the people). The Republic of Azerbaijan is friendly towards Israel but hostile towards Iran. The Jews want to make a new Israel there and discriminate against the Shia.

Read More About Azaris here: http://iranianfacebo...آذری-

The Leader of the NEW Republic of Azerbaijan (a new country made from land Russia took from Iran)

http://iranianinfo.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/screen-shot-2012-06-03-at-10-39-55-am.png

Ancient Map of Iran from About 2,000 Years Ago Showing Caucuses Were Iranian

http://iranianinfo.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/screen-shot-2012-06-03-at-9-09-48-pm.png

Close up picture of Caucuses Showing They Used to be a Part of Iran up until about 150-200 years ago

http://iranianinfo.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/screen-shot-2012-06-03-at-9-14-33-pm.png

This all sounds very chauvinistic and even though partly true, this line of talk aids the imperialist powers to forment anti-Islamic and anti-Iranian sentiments in Azerbaijan. If you think that by this you are helping Iran, you are very wrong, you are doing the opposite.

This all sounds very chauvinistic and even though partly true, this line of talk aids the imperialist powers to forment anti-Islamic and anti-Iranian sentiments in Azerbaijan. If you think that by this you are helping Iran, you are very wrong, you are doing the opposite.

This what the imperialists are doing for the last 20 years when it comes to Iran-Azerbaijan relations. They always play the race/language card..mostly using their long arms within Iranian governments and ppl.. And from the other hand they try their best to impose a Turkish-Sunnism and a Saudi-Wahabism on Shia Azeris (who almost forgot everything about religion in the last 8 decades). It always been propagated amongst Iranians that, it is in their national interests to be anti-Azerbaijan and pro Armenia and etc... and in Azerbaijan, the danger of Shia Ayatollahs being presented as the main problem.

A strong Shia Azerbaijan will help the region and Iran, not a Zionist bastion-Azerbaijan. Lets say if the current Azeri government reforms and gets along with its religious ppl and bridge ties with Iran, it will benefit both countries greatly, it will make Azerbaijan stronger, and it will also ease the current tension with Armenia and peace in the region... Azerbaijan should realize its national/regional interests and should understand that no one is after a Velayate Faqhi government in Azerbaijan.

Edited by Noah-

Actually I disagree because the more people are aware of historical facts, the less Imperialists can manipulate the situation. Let me give you an example: In the Republic of Azerbaijan they have almost totally erased Iran's historical connection to the Republic of Azerbaijan by omitting the history. The US comes in and says you are X and they are Y -- it's the absence of knowledge about that history that makes this possible (the history includes religious history also). I don't think I'm better than any one, I just think those are facts the same way there are facts about China, or Japan, or Russia. Every country has historical facts.

I understand you but Turkamans are not Turks. I mean they belong to different ethnic groups. Turkamans live in northeast of Iran and they are similar to Chinese people. Azaris live in northwest of Iran and non-Azari Turks whose ancestors emigrated to Iran (from Turkey) several centuries ago dont look like Chinese people (they look like people of Turkey). In other words, Turkamans originially belong to the east of Asia while Turks originally belong to the west of Asia.And Turkaman people are mostly sunnie while Iranian Turks are mostly shia.

My friend you have it incorrect:

These are real ethnic Turks in the picture below. Azaris are Iranians that had their language changed. Turkish language originated from near China in the Altai Mountains (it is classified as an Altaic Language).

Screen+shot+2012-02-29+at+3.44.10+PM.png

Screen+shot+2012-02-29+at+3.49.11+PM.png

"The Turkish Language originated in The Altay Mountain Range. For this reason it is called an Altaic Language. As nomads expanded further into Asia Minor, they brought their language with them to Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan and other countries. Many of these languages are mutually intelligible although local usage and vocabulary, spelling and alphabet may differ. However they all exhibit the same grammatical structure of agglutination and vowel harmony."

Edited by ABA

Salam Aleikum!

"Lets say if the current Azeri government reforms"

Aliyev's despotic regime will never reform, reform means collapse, so they are beyond reform. All the rest is correct, MashAllah a good insight into the situation.

Salam Aleikum!

"Lets say if the current Azeri government reforms"

Aliyev's despotic regime will never reform, reform means collapse, so they are beyond reform. All the rest is correct, MashAllah a good insight into the situation.

I agree. It is a crime that Aliyev's government has suppressed 80-90% Shia population while giving Israel 35% of the oil it is stealing from people.

One of the tricks they use it to make people far away from Iranians - Aliyev tries to erase history and religion to keep people far from Iran.

Salam,

Well, from a position of power and pressure, the people and the opposition political fronts should force the government to reform.. just look at 'people's options' and their ability to enforce change. Yes, there might be 80+ percent Shias, but not all of these people want Aliyev to go... just like Aliyev himself and just like the people in his government, there are hundreds of thousands of ordinary people who think like Aliyev and accept his government, and when it comes to Islamic identity, they view it as a foreign tag the same as the government does. So, by pressuring and by creating a little bit balance of power, the government might change its direction from confronting Shia Islam to befriending it and wouldn't play at the hands of giant outside powers to sacrifice Azeris future for the sake of their ill politics in the region.

In terms of cultural ethnicity, Azeris are a pretty much unique group. They've got a little bit of everything in them from what I've read, observed, read about in DNA etc.

The culture compromises mostly of Caucasians, Iranics, and Turkic people.

Azari (Iranic) +Caucasian groups from the north (i.e. Lezgins), + variety of Turkic invaders such as the Turkmen.

Turkmen people in North Eastern Iran are more homogeneous. They're mostly Turkic and maybe a few of them have traits they've acquired from other groups they've intermarried with or assimilated.

As far as politics go it will be interesting to see what happens. The Aliyevs will I'm sure disappear one day but the more important thing that needs to be observed if people in that country will become more Islamicized over time or will they become more Westernized over time.

In terms of cultural ethnicity, Azeris are a pretty much unique group. They've got a little bit of everything in them from what I've read, observed, read about in DNA etc.

Azaris are genetically clustered with other Iranian people.

• International Journal of Immunogenetics 34:6 (December 2007), pages 457-463:

“The genetic relationship between Kurds and Azeris of Iran was investigated based on human leukocyte antigen (HLA) class II profiles. HLA typing was performed using polymerase chain reaction/restriction fragment-length polymorphism (PCR/RFLP) and PCR/sequence-specific primer (PCR/SSP) methods in 100 Kurds and 100 Azeris. DRB1*1103/04, DQA1*0501 and DQB1*0301 were the most common alleles and DRB1*1103/04-DQA1*0501-DQB1*0301 was the most frequent haplotype in both populations. No significant difference was observed in HLA class II allele distribution between these populations except for DQB1*0503 which showed a higher frequency in Kurds. Neighbor-joining tree based on Nei’s genetic distances and correspondence analysis according to DRB1, DQA1 and DQB1 allele frequencies showed a strong genetic tie between Kurds and Azeris of Iran. The results of amova revealed no significant difference between these populations and other major ethnic groups of Iran. No close genetic relationship was observed between Azeris of Iran and the people of Turkey or Central Asians. According to the current results, present-day Kurds and Azeris of Iran seem to belong to a common genetic pool.”

LANGUAGE:

"The Turkish speakers of Azerbaijan (q.v.) are mainly descended from the earlier Iranian speakers, several pockets of whom still exist in the region.”

(Frye R.N., Encyclopædia Iranica, Publ. by Columbia Univ.)

“In the beginning of the 11th century the [Turkic] Ghuzz hordes, first in smaller parties, and then in considerable numbers, under the Seljuqids occupied Azarbaijan. In consequence, the Iranian population of Azarbaijan and the adjacent parts of Transcaucasia became Turkophone.” … ”Turkish nomads, in spite of their deep penetration throughout Iranian lands, only slightly influenced the local culture. Elements borrowed by the Iranians from their invaders were negligible.”

(Xavier de Planhol, “Un village de montagne de l’Azerbaïjan iranien, Lighwan,”Revue de Géographie de Lyon, 1960, pp. 395-418.)

The original language of Azaris (a form of Old Persian).

screen-shot-2012-06-21-at-9-12-26-pm.png

Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan admits that the word "Azarbaijan" derives from Old Persian and is name of the Persian General that Served Darius King of Iran.

screen-shot-2012-06-21-at-9-04-39-pm.png

The Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan does two things to distract people: it tries to keep the people confused about their connections to Iran and Islam so it can steal oil money and sell it to Israel.

The Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan arrested Hilal Mammadov because he said he was really an Iranian & Shia Muslim. It's in all the news papers.

screen-shot-2012-06-22-at-5-04-57-pm.png

Edited by ABA

Well, I'm referring to the entire picture.

The Azaris (Iranic people) of that time eventually mixed and mingled with many different groups.

This is why when you look at Azeris today they all look different. Not one looks the same as the other.

Some of them look Kurdish, some look more Persian, some look Turkic, some look Caucasian, some look like a mix of sorts.

We've had Azeri kings rule Iran with bits of Greek, Georgian, Circassian origins as well.

But I agree, today's Azeris, were originally named after the Azaris which inhabited most of these lands and whom spoke an Iranic language.