Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Miladiator

Must I Pay Khums

Rate this topic

According to Ayatollah Sistani:

1760. Khums is obligatory on the following seven things:

• Profit or gain from earning.
  • Minerals.
  • Treasure trove.
  • Amalgamation of Halal wealth with Haraam.
  • Gems obtained from the sea diving.
  • Spoils of war.
  • As commonly held, a land which a zimmi (a non-Muslim living under the protection of Islamic Government) purchases from a Muslim.

Now I happen to be a University student, the only income I have is pretty much from Student Finance and so unless I may have accidentally taken this ruling out of context it seems to me that I do not need to pay khums.

Having said that I of course very much doubt that is the case and I have also forwarded this question to Sistanis office but nevertheless, just out of interest, what would your opinion be on this matter?

From what I understand, whatever you have saved in one year's time (thus is 'profit' from your earnings because you did not use that money) you must pay the 1/5 of that saved money (not gross income).

It probably is better for someone with more knowledge to answer, but that is what I know. Asking your marja is best.

Good luck!

As you said you are on student finances (by this i imagine you mean bank loan), technically you do not own anything at the end of the year even if something's left in your bank account, because this a debt you have to pay back for your student loan

It'll be interesting to hear the reply from Sayid Sistani's office

Alsalam alikum,

Do you cut some money for saving every month?

Yes I do, it isn't an exact figure, just whatever I don't happen to spend. But it's every 4 months I get money not every month.

As you said you are on student finances (by this i imagine you mean bank loan), technically you do not own anything at the end of the year even if something's left in your bank account, because this a debt you have to pay back for your student loan

It'll be interesting to hear the reply from Sayid Sistani's office

The thing is it's actually a mix of loan money and my own money in my bank as about half the money I get from student finance isn't actually a loan. So what's more confusing for me is now, how do I calculate what money I have left is mine and what is the banks.

I'll be sure to post Ayatollah Sistani's reply once I receive it :)

The thing is it's actually a mix of loan money and my own money in my bank as about half the money I get from student finance isn't actually a loan. So what's more confusing for me is now, how do I calculate what money I have left is mine and what is the banks.

I suggest that you make another account in the bank, so you can separate your own moeny & loan money, so you

can avoid this confusion.

Edited by Zahra1

I suggest that you make another account in the bank, so you can separate your own moeny & loan money, so you

can avoid this confusion.

It's probably my best option but having said that I could then spend all my own money and keep what I've borrowed, basically putting myself in a position where I don't have to pay khums (supposing I don't have to pay khums on money which I have borrowed).

And also what makes me even more confused is that if we don't have to pay khums on money which we have borrowed FROM others then I assume we do have to pay khums on money which we have borrowed TO others? And if that's the case then I've borrowed quite a lot of money to my family so I could be in quite a financial dilemma...

According to the office of Ayatollah Sistani:

Khums is not payable on loan that is used for annual expenses

So I take it any money that you are in possession of, whether it be yours or not, you pay khums for. I actually asked quite a detailed question so to have received such a simple answer still leaves me with many questions but I guess you wouldn't really borrow money and not spend it within a year anyway so I guess the answer makes sense.