In the Name of God بسم الله

How Can Someone Like Ramadan?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

How does someone manage to make them self like Ramadan? I mean I hate it so much and I don't think I'm meant to have this mind set or even say that. It's probably the most unproductive month for me in the whole year and it's just full of boredom, I count every second till the end of this month.

Yes I know this helps bring your iman higher and bring you closer to god but to me it does the opposite, too much restrictions, limitation and boredom on what you can do. This month is also in my holidays so it's just ughhh.

All I can do is sit at home and not exercise, not listen to music, not watch movies just in case something I'm not meant to see comes up and so on. What do I do so I don't get bored or actually end up liking this month because I normally get tempted to just break fasts since I can't be bothered to carry on, it's pointless if I do like it at all.

Edited by Crimson

You can listen to nasheeds without any music...There is this guy called no beats necessary....Also you must take this hate mentality away. Each tiem you think "oh i hate this" your going to end up emitting negative energy and hating it even more. It's like your body is making it's own brand of poison. No offense bro but how you said it is whiny and sounds like a flamboyant guy complaining...I can just imagine the flamboyant accent now....and that special hand gesture they have.... I'M NOT SAYING YOU ARE ONE .......but your post is emitting this exact vibe now... You are much more man than that! The prophet pbuh, the Imams and everyone had no tv, no ipod, they barely had food all the other days that wasn;t Ramadan yet...and still they managed to be the world's greatest and toughest army subhanallah....What you need to do is watch some lectures or a good movie about the Prophet Pbuh......Peace

• Advanced Member

You can listen to nasheeds without any music...There is this guy called no beats necessary....Also you must take this hate mentality away. Each tiem you think "oh i hate this" your going to end up emitting negative energy and hating it even more. It's like your body is making it's own brand of poison. No offense bro but how you said it is whiny and sounds like a flamboyant guy complaining...I can just imagine the flamboyant accent now....and that special hand gesture they have.... I'M NOT SAYING YOU ARE ONE .......but your post is emitting this exact vibe now... You are much more man than that! The prophet pbuh, the Imams and everyone had no tv, no ipod, they barely had food all the other days that wasn;t Ramadan yet...and still they managed to be the world's greatest and toughest army subhanallah....What you need to do is watch some lectures or a good movie about the Prophet Pbuh......Peace

The thing is it's in my holidays so basically all my plans for the month I get off in the year are gone, that's something to moan about. The Prophet pbuh didn't have them in the first place and his life was to teach people about Islam, mine isn't. I'm annoyed not because I get hungry or thirsty but because I can't do anything but sit on this laptop for a month because if I go for a jog or gym or do anything else ill get thirsty. It's the unproductivity of the month that is just annoying. Nasheeds are nothing like music :S I don't even understand them.

And so I'm not the whiny flamboyant guy I just don't like to sit down for 30 days.

• Advanced Member

Just cause it's Ramadan doesn't mean you stop your life. The purpose is to fast and do as many good deeds as possible, including reading Qur'an and increasing your Islamic knowledge. But that doesn't mean you have to stay inside all day! Go hang out with friends or something. If your on holiday, make plans with your family to go out and maybe have dinner at a restaurant or something. watch Islamic movies. read a good book. watch the news or other such programs. You say in your bio you like science and knowledge, so watch documentaries.

Or, better than all of this, go volunteer somewhere. Go to your local food bank and volunteer for a few hours. Many times we complain about "having to fast" or "feeling hungry" or etc. But, once you see the lives of people who live like that every day without the hope of breaking their fast, I think you'll complain a lot less. Fasting is supposed to give you a renewed sense of empathy and gratitude towards Allah for giving you so many blessings.

So my advice is to stop complaining about boredom and hunger, and go do something productive with your life.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

This content of this sermon is what makes me love shahr ramadan - I would highly advise watching it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgrXAra17B0

Take some time out to read the Qur'an, take some time to supplicate to Allah سبحانه وتعالى, go outside with your friends and enjoy halal activities etc.

Also, if you wouldn't listen to music in shahr ramadan, or watch movies in case something your not meant to see comes up etc. then why would you do so outside of shahr ramadan?

Also I wouldn't break your fast in shahr ramadan if I were you - firstly it is haram, secondly you would have to re-do the day some other time (not sure if a specific time or whenever you want) if you break it in one of these ways [according to Ayatullah Sistani]

and thirdly you have to give a penalty which the rules of [by Ayatullah Sistani] can be found here

Edited by Shia_Debater

How does someone manage to make them self like Ramadan? I mean I hate it so much and I don't think I'm meant to have this mind set or even say that. It's probably the most unproductive month for me in the whole year and it's just full of boredom, I count every second till the end of this month.

Yes I know this helps bring your iman higher and bring you closer to god but to me it does the opposite, too much restrictions, limitation and boredom on what you can do. This month is also in my holidays so it's just ughhh.

All I can do is sit at home and not exercise, not listen to music, not watch movies just in case something I'm not meant to see comes up and so on. What do I do so I don't get bored or actually end up liking this month because I normally get tempted to just break fasts since I can't be bothered to carry on, it's pointless if I do like it at all.

**** [edited] :)

• Advanced Member

Go shopping? it won't drain your energy?? what's going on here, since when was the month of Ramadan a time to sit down and wait 30 days to pass??

God doesn't need us to fast, He doesn't benefit from any of it. Like most acts of worship, fasting teaches DISCIPLINE. it makes us patient, and most importantly humble. abstaining from food and drink are the most superficial levels of the fast. Holding on to wajibat, doing as much mistahabbat, and certainly staying away from all haram, are the core principles of any successful fast

What is the use of knowledge of religion without discipline? fasting bridges that gap

• Advanced Member

Man my life becomes so organised during ramadan.. even when im staving I don't have the hassle to go and look for food...it gives me patience and control over myself and other desires.. I believe it even brings family closer.. regularly we eat in our own time in our own space but during ramadan we'll sit together and eat.. everything becomes in schedule and organised .. :

• Advanced Member

Go chill out with your friends in the city centre, do some shopping. It won't completely drain you of energy, me and my mates always do it.

Can't do that everyday and everyone is half naked there so it's even more risky.

OP you need to really connect with your spirituality. Pray to Allah(SWT) with whole heart. How can you not like Ramadan?

Because I just don't manage to do anything in it and when I do I either become really hungry or thirsty which I can handle tbh but it's never fun. And it's in my holidays which is why we aren't going on holiday this summer. I wait a year for this month and now I have to fast it, see where I'm coming from?

Man my life becomes so organised during ramadan.. even when im staving I don't have the hassle to go and look for food...it gives me patience and control over myself and other desires.. I believe it even brings family closer.. regularly we eat in our own time in our own space but during ramadan we'll sit together and eat.. everything becomes in schedule and organised .. :

Yeah that's true.

You know what's after the fasting month?

Eid!

That should keep you going.

Besides, we can use some challenges in this month; abstaining from food, drink and lying.

Yeah I don't look forward to the actual Eid at the end of the month but freedom again, that's my only motivation.

• Advanced Member
Can't do that everyday

No need, Ramadan's not about getting your kicks out of life and you know that.

and everyone is half naked there so it's even more risky.

This is relative, and it's everywhere even in places we go and study. Just ignore it then, none of it is intentional.

Edited by La'nat Ma Man

• Advanced Member

No.

Was it directed to you :S

This is relative, and it's everywhere even in places we go and study. Just ignore it then, none of it is intentional.

So if it's not intentional it doesn't matter if you see things constantly but as long as you look away?

• Advanced Member

poor kid. at least you can be thankful to God for growing up in a spoiled environment, where you have your piano and your xbox.

back in the days; shia-kids like you were being starved and their heads were severed.

it's just 1 month out of 12, and honestly; what religious things do you do in those other 11 months so that you have the right to complain? piano, xbox?

it's not just enjoying Allah's provisions only, without sacrificing your own provisions sometimes. this life is all about sacrifice.

anyways, Godspede

Well you have a good point there but I just try to do a lot of good deeds throughout the year not just in Ramadan, but yeah true.

My bad, I thought that the post I quoted was on a public forum. -_-

Lol nice answer ;)

If you come out of shahr Ramadan and you still continue to do some habits such as listening to music then you have not benefited from shahr Ramadan at all.

This is a month in which has a day that is better than 1000 months. This month is the most spiritual month in which the devils are chained up and the only evil you commit is from yourself and not a devil but when you keep committing evils then your devil is released from its chains.

With an attitude such as yours, you clearly do not understand this month at all. It is much much more than just not eating or listening to music. Your not even supposed to listen to music at all whether it is Shahr Ramadan or not.

And I disagree with you, this month is one which makes a person very productive. Its not even shahr Ramadan for me yet (saturday it starts) and I'm already reading as much as I can and listening to lectures everyday and trying to abstain from sins. Being productive means trying to secure your afterlife, not securing your wordly life.

And you can exercise after iftar, I workout 6 days a weak and working out after iftar is not a problem at all. You still have all the energy as if you haven't fasted.

Plus you sound like your not even old enough to fast? lol... grow up.

Edited by Goku

• Advanced Member

If you come out of shahr Ramadan and you still continue to do some habits such as listening to music then you have not benefited from shahr Ramadan at all.

This is a month in which has a day that is better than 1000 months. This month is the most spiritual month in which the devils are chained up and the only evil you commit is from yourself and not a devil but when you keep committing evils then your devil is released from its chains.

With an attitude such as yours, you clearly do not understand this month at all. It is much much more than just not eating or listening to music. Your not even supposed to listen to music at all whether it is Shahr Ramadan or not.

And I disagree with you, this month is one which makes a person very productive. Its not even shahr Ramadan for me yet (saturday it starts) and I'm already reading as much as I can and listening to lectures everyday and trying to abstain from sins. Being productive means trying to secure your afterlife, not securing your wordly life.

And you can exercise after iftar, I workout 6 days a weak and working out after iftar is not a problem at all. You still have all the energy as if you haven't fasted.

Plus you sound like your not even old enough to fast? lol... grow up.

I'm probably still going to listen to music after this month but I might stop other bad habits so it wouldn't have been a complete waste. This is my first Ramadan that I am actually fasting properly so I'm basically living a complete contrast on my life before Ramadan... it's quite hard if you haven't done it before and you're nearly 17. Well you're different from me, if you can be productive in a good way then great but not all people are like that. By productive I mean getting a job, improving fitness, studying, etc. Normally after iftar you just become lazy, well in my house you do because of all the food you eat, then by the time you feel like your stomach has calmed down it's too late to exercise.

No, I just hate having restrictions placed on me, so I don't need to grow up.

I'm probably still going to listen to music after this month but I might stop other bad habits so it wouldn't have been a complete waste. This is my first Ramadan that I am actually fasting properly so I'm basically living a complete contrast on my life before Ramadan... it's quite hard if you haven't done it before and you're nearly 17. Well you're different from me, if you can be productive in a good way then great but not all people are like that. By productive I mean getting a job, improving fitness, studying, etc. Normally after iftar you just become lazy, well in my house you do because of all the food you eat, then by the time you feel like your stomach has calmed down it's too late to exercise.

No, I just hate having restrictions placed on me, so I don't need to grow up.

Bro, productive has nothing to do with studying or exercise or a job. None of these will help you in the eternal afterlife. you should get these things but they are not the final goal in life. Work towards your afterlife where you will either spend eternity in heaven or hell. Make great use of this Shahr Ramadan, it might be your last.

There are people who fast like us every day of their lives not because they choose to but because they are soo poor they are forced to. Some don't have more than a piece of bread to break their fast on. This one month of Ramadan can literally save you from an entire lifetime of sins... It could be the doorway to heaven if you but choose it to be.

• Advanced Member

make a schedule of things to do to occupy your day. it doesnt have to include physically tiring activities.

make a list of books (islamic and non-islamic if u like to read), spend an hour a day reading Quran, listen/read some duas, watch some islamic movies (plenty on youtube), set up/attend lectures or discussion circles at the masjid. spend time clearing the loft/repainting ur bedroom...any DIY that doesnt include too much physical activity. help ur mum buy and prepare iftar. help younger siblings with homework. maybe u can set up a kids club at the masjid over Ramadhan and play games/read them stories etc. if ur student, get ahead with next year's syllabus and do some studying. if u dont know any arabic, maybe try to learn how to read the letters....the list is endless and most of these will have an element of reward in them because u r providing ur services to help others.

u can make Ramadhan what it is. u dont necessarily need to sit at home and read Quran and pray all day to gain reward.

Edited by AR2011

Socialize, read more, get a job, clean the house, help cook, learn something, you must be a real weako not to exercise just because you're fasting...

Dear young child i dont mean to be rude but stop complaining bec i have a hard physical job that i have to attend during ramadan !!!

Why dont you go to like africa for a week then come back ! That should fix things ! Your young its a phase u will get over just stop complicating things !

Salam

Whiners like this young tigress will not last here more 2-3 days, not to talk about a week... Good advice though, It might be his Israa' and Mee'raj, you know, how after that incident, the Prophet s. was never seen smiling or laughing ever again... His awakening from ungratefulness...

Socialize, read more, get a job, clean the house, help cook, learn something, you must be a real weako not to exercise just because you're fasting...

Whiners like this young tigress will not last here more 2-3 days, not to talk about a week... Good advice though, It might be his Israa' and Mee'raj, you know, how after that incident, the Prophet s. was never seen smiling or laughing ever again... His awakening from ungratefulness...

He might not take our advice now, i know alot of us didnt at his age, but when he grows up he will realise the truth and in return do what we are doing now, give the same advice to some other younger kid thats complaining in the near future lol

Thats if people are still fasting in 10 years and still believe in Allah swt

• Veteran Member

28-45 According to the same documentation, it is narrated on the authority of Abil Hassan Al-Reza (s), on the authority of his father (s), on the authority of his forefathers (s), on the authority of Ali (s) that God’s Prophet (s) said, “In fact, the (Arabic) month of Ramadan is a great month. During that month, God will multiply one’s good deeds many times. He will eliminate the wicked deeds and raise the ranks during that month. God will forgive whoever gives charity during that month. God will forgive whoever treats his slaves with kindness during that month. God will forgive whoever is good-tempered during that month. God will forgive whoever quenches his wrath during that month. God will forgive whoever visits his relatives during that month.” The Prophet (s) then added, “This month is not like other months. It will bring you blessings and mercy whenever it comes, and it will go away with forgiveness of the sins when it ends. This is the month in which good deeds are multiplied by many times and in which good acts are accepted. The Honorable the Exalted God will forgive whoever says two units of prayers during that month.” The Prophet (s) then added, “One is really miserable if this month is finished and his sins are not forgiven, and is at a loss when the good-doers receive their rewards from the Benevolent Lord.”

al-sadooq, uyun akhbar, vol.1, p.548

http://www.maaref-foundation.com/english/index.htm

• Veteran Member

(bismillah) , yeah, so what?

Now take this the right and best way.

I do agree with your reaction -but that is not relevant.

I, personally, am seriously hypoglycemic, so my blood sugar can get way out of wack. During Ramadhan I get frequent low-blood sugar headaches -rarely a migraine, and a few days over the years I have gotten so sick that I could not see straight, focus my vision, and once looking in the mirror I could not un-cross my eyes. You also can get dizzy during this. I have a light headache now. But that is not relevant. I know the local imam and doctors told me that if I get that sick sometimes that I should breakfast. But I do not unless I have to travel or doing otherwise dangerous work -like with power tools or machinery. My being genetically based hypoglycemic (plasma glycogen disease) is what Allah(swt) wrote in my book. That is relevant. So I deal with it.

As revealed in Sura 2 al-baqara, Ayat 185 fast is required.

As revealed in the 183rd Ayat, it so "you learn self restraint".

If you can sucessfully do Ramadhan, then behaving yourself for the rest of the year, inshallah, will be much easier.

What do you want to be given you on the Last Day? An iilyin or a sijjin ?

(wasalam)

• Veteran Member

Supplication - 44 His Supplication for the Coming of the Month of Ramadan

Praise belongs to God who guided us to His praise

and placed us among the people of praise,

that we might be among the thankful for His beneficence

and that He might recompense us for that

with the recompense of the good-doers!

And praise belongs to God who

showed favour to us through His religion,

singled us out for His creed,

and directed us onto the roads of His beneficence,

in order that through His kindness we might travel upon them

to His good pleasure,

a praise which He will accept from us

and through which He will be pleased with us!

And praise belongs to God who appointed among those roads His month,

the month of Ramadan,

the month of fasting,

the month of submission,

the month of purity,

the month of putting to test,

the month of standing in prayer,

in which the Qur'an was sent down as guidance to the people,

and as clear signs of the Guidance and the Separator!175

He clarified its excellence over other months

by the many sacred things and well-known excellencies

which He placed therein,

for He made unlawful in it what He declared lawful in others

to magnify it,

He prohibited foods and drinks in it

to honour it,

and He appointed for it a clear time which He

(majestic and mighty is He)

allows not to be set forward

and accepts not to be placed behind.

Then He made one of its nights surpass the nights

of a thousand months

and named it the Night of Decree;

in it the angels and the Spirit descend

by the leave of their Lord upon every command,

a peace176 constant in blessings

until the rising of the dawn

upon whomsoever He will of His servants

according to the decision He has made firm.

O God,

bless Muhammad and his Household,

inspire us

with knowledge of its excellence,

veneration of its inviolability,

and caution against what Thou hast forbidden within it,

and help us to fast in it

by our restraining our limbs

from acts of disobedience toward Thee

and our employing them

in that which pleases Thee,

so that we lend not our ears to idle talk

and hurry not with our eyes to diversion,

we stretch not our hands toward the forbidden

and stride not with our feet toward the prohibited,

our bellies hold only what Thou hast made lawful

and our tongues speak only what Thou

hast exemplified,

we undertake nothing but what brings close to

Thy reward

and pursue nothing but what protects from

Thy punishment!

Then rid all of that from the false show of the false showers

and the fame seeking of the fame seekers,

lest we associate therein anything with Thee

or seek therein any object of desire but Thee!

O God,

in it make us attend

to the appointed moments of the five prayers within

the bounds Thou hast set,

the obligations Thou hast decreed,

the duties Thou hast assigned,

and the times Thou hast specified;

and in the prayers make us alight in the station of

the keepers of their stations,

the guardians of their pillars,

their performers in their times,

as Thy servant and Thy messenger set down in his Sunna

(Thy blessings be upon him and his Household)

in their bowings, their prostrations, and all their

excellent acts,

with the most complete and ample ritual purity

and the most evident and intense humility!

Give us success in this month to

tighten our bonds of kin with devotion and gifts,

attend to our neighbours with bestowal and giving,

rid our possessions from claims,

purify them through paying the alms,

go back to him who has gone far from us,

treat justly him who has wronged us,

make peace with him who shows enmity toward us

(except him who is regarded as an enemy

in Thee and for Thee,

for he is the enemy whom we will not befriend,

the party whom we will not hold dear),

and seek nearness to Thee through blameless works

which will purify us from sins

and preserve us from renewing faults,

so that none of Thy angels will bring for Thee

the kinds of obedience and sorts of

nearness-seeking

unless they be less than what we bring!177

O God,

I ask Thee by the right of this month

and by the right of him who worships Thee within it

from its beginning to the time of its passing,

whether angel Thou hast brought nigh to Thee,

prophet Thou hast sent,

or righteous servant Thou hast singled out,

that Thou bless Muhammad and his Household,

make us worthy of the generosity Thou hast promised

Thy friends,

make incumbent for us

what Thou hast made incumbent

for those who go to great lengths in obeying Thee,

and place us in the ranks of those

who deserve through Thy mercy the highest elevation!

O God,

turn us aside from

deviation in professing Thy Unity,

falling short in magnifying Thee,

in Thy religion,

blindness toward Thy path,

heedlessness of Thy inviolability,

and being deceived by Thy enemy, the accursed Satan!

O God,

and when in every night of this month's nights

Thou hast necks

which Thy pardon will release

and Thy forgiveness disregard,

place our necks among those necks

and place us among the best folk and companions

of this our month!

O God,

efface our sins

along with the effacing of its crescent moon,

and make us pass forth from the ill effects of our acts

with the passing of its days,

until it leaves us behind,

while within it Thou hast purified us of offenses

and rid us of evil deeds!

O God,

and should we go off to one side in this month,

set us aright;

should we swerve,

point us straight;

and should Thy enemy Satan enwrap us,

rescue us from him!

O God,

fill this month with our worship of Thee,

adorn its times with our obedience toward Thee,

help us during its daytime with its fast,

and in its night with prayer and pleading toward Thee,

humility toward Thee,

and lowliness before Thee,

so that its daytime may not bear witness

against our heedlessness,

nor its night against our neglect!

O God,

make us like this in the other months and days

as long as Thou givest us life,

and place us among Thy righteous servants,

those who shall inherit Paradise,

therein dwelling forever,178

those who give what they give,

while their hearts quake,

that they are returning to their Lord,179

those who vie in good works,

outracing to them!180

O God,

bless Muhammad and his Household

in every time, in all moments, and in every state,

to the number that Thou hast blessed whomsoever

Thou hast blessed

and to multiples of all that, through multiples

which none can count but Thee!

Surely Thou art Accomplisher of what Thou desirest.

http://www.duas.org/sajjadiya/s44.htm

Edited by Ali_Hussain

• Basic Members

Salaam

Bashing this kid by saying "your spoilt" or "grow up" isn't going to help him now is it. Give him advice. I am the same age as you Crimson and I understand it is hard to suddenly change and become the "perfect" muslim as people expect you to be. But you need to try. Give yourself an aim, for example you will try to study more into Islam by reading books etc. Think of Ramadhan as an opportunity to improve spiritually. Boredom is a huge danger for youths like us, therefore trying to keep yourself busy by doing things which you enjoy (obviously halal stuff) is very important.

Just try to improve and take this opportunity as you never know when your life will end (when it will be too late to make excuses).

Inshallah we will all find ways to improve ourselves in Ramadhan and seek success in the hereafter.