Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Haydar Husayn

Hadiths On Bab Ul Hawaij

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

The title of Bab ul Hawaij (the door to fulfilling people's needs) has been given to both Imma Musa al-Kadhim (a) and to al-Abbas ibn `Ali, and possibly others as well. However, I've never actually seen any hadiths quoted where these titles are bestowed on them. Is anyone aware of any?

Mola Abbas(asws)has following titles (kuniyat): Abul-Fadl, Abul-Qasim, Abu-Qarba (The owner of the skin of water), as-Saqqa (The Provider of Water), Babul-Hawaij (The gateway to fulfilment of needs), Alamdar (The Standard Bearer) and also generally known as Qamar-e-Bani Hasim (the Moon of Bani Hashim Tribe). It is narrated that Imam asSadiq

(asws)ran to visit the tomb of Mola Abbas(asws) after visiting the tombs of Imam Hussain(asws), along with his family, and companions. Imam Sadiq(asws) said: "Our uncle Abbas(asws), the son of Ali(asws, had achieved indescribable ‘Marifat’ (insight) and a firm faith”.

This is mentioned in A'yaan ul Shia,volume 7 ,pg430.

Mola Abbas(asws)has following titles (kuniyat): Abul-Fadl, Abul-Qasim, Abu-Qarba (The owner of the skin of water), as-Saqqa (The Provider of Water), Babul-Hawaij (The gateway to fulfilment of needs), Alamdar (The Standard Bearer) and also generally known as Qamar-e-Bani Hasim (the Moon of Bani Hashim Tribe). It is narrated that Imam asSadiq

(asws)ran to visit the tomb of Mola Abbas(asws) after visiting the tombs of Imam Hussain(asws), along with his family, and companions. Imam Sadiq(asws) said: "Our uncle Abbas(asws), the son of Ali(asws, had achieved indescribable ‘Marifat’ (insight) and a firm faith”.

This is mentioned in A'yaan ul Shia,volume 7 ,pg430.

This doesn't answer my question since it isn't a hadith.

It is applied to 7 people ( including these three )---,

Do you know who the others are? I remember reading the list somwhere, but couldn't find it anymore.

This doesn't answer my question since it isn't a hadith.

Do you know who the others are? I remember reading the list somwhere, but couldn't find it anymore.

The others are

1.Maula Abbas(as)

2.Imam Musa Kazim(as)

3.Imam Ali Reza(as)

4.Bibi Masooma e Qum(as)

5.Hazrat Ali Asghar(as)

I have heard there are only Five,BTW why don't you go to any Alim and consult with him?he must know more references and points than us SCers.

Thanks brother HH for ur continued investigation into our common practices. I hope someone can shed some light on this

I and I'm sure many of us have heard this babul hawaij title. Maybe its time to make use of all afasy hadith request thread....?

Edited by La fata illa Ali

it is just a title

bab alhawaij , the door of the needs , is a title given to Imam Kadhim during his lifetime but it has been widely used after his death

it was due to his atitude towrds the needy , he always had helped them and not turned them away

the door refers to the house , to the service

bab alma'aali was used to refer to the ottoman headquarters in Istanbul , other places were called the door of ...... as well , which tells it was a common expression at a given point of history

Poeple kept using bab alhwaij title for imam kadhim and kept seeking his help after his death , they asked Allah their needs by his grave

The others are

1.Maula Abbas(as)

2.Imam Musa Kazim(as)

3.Imam Ali Reza(as)

4.Bibi Masooma e Qum(as)

5.Hazrat Ali Asghar(as)

I have heard there are only Five,BTW why don't you go to any Alim and consult with him?he must know more references and points than us SCers.

6. Bibi Ummul Baneen a.s. Her tazbi is very famous.

Why do you need a hadith to give a title?...

Well, when you say that a certain person is the door to fulfilling needs, and on that basis that it's good to pray to them (or 'seek their intercession' if you prefer), then yeah, a hadith or two might come in handy.

Well, when you say that a certain person is the door to fulfilling needs, and on that basis that it's good to pray to them (or 'seek their intercession' if you prefer), then yeah, a hadith or two might come in handy.

You just said it yourself, it's in the Qur'an - يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اتَّقُوا اللَّهَ وَابْتَغُوا إِلَيْهِ الْوَسِيلَةَ - O you who believe! be careful of (your duty to) Allah and seek means of nearness to Him (tawassul). Asking the 7th Imam (as) is the same as asking any other Imam or the prophet (pbuh) - no need for hadith.

Edited by Fuan

You just said it yourself, it's in the Qur'an - يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اتَّقُوا اللَّهَ وَابْتَغُوا إِلَيْهِ الْوَسِيلَةَ - O you who believe! be careful of (your duty to) Allah and seek means of nearness to Him (tawassul). Asking the 7th Imam (as) is the same as asking any other Imam or the prophet (pbuh) - no need for hadith.

Well, I'm sure plenty of people would like to know that there is a hadith to back up a title given to certain people. If not, it's certainly interesting to wonder where this title came from, and how it came to be attributed to a select group of people. I guess this only applies to those who have some intellectual curiosity though, which I accept is in short supply among many.

However, even I were to accept that you don't need a hadith to give a title to someone, you certain need one to claim an ayah of the Qur'an says something which isn't apparent from it's obvious meaning. So care to share with us the hadith that gives the tafsir you are claiming?

Well, I'm sure plenty of people would like to know that there is a hadith to back up a title given to certain people. If not, it's certainly interesting to wonder where this title came from, and how it came to be attributed to a select group of people. I guess this only applies to those who have some intellectual curiosity though, which I accept is in short supply among many.

However, even I were to accept that you don't need a hadith to give a title to someone, you certain need one to claim an ayah of the Qur'an says something which isn't apparent from it's obvious meaning. So care to share with us the hadith that gives the tafsir you are claiming?

You're not here because you're curious in the least bit (nice touch with the "ضال مضل" on your ava) - and feel free to use the search function or google, although that just might involve a little more intellectual capacity.

وقد اشتهر عن الإمام الشافعي أنه كان يزور قبر الإمام الكاظم (عليه السلام) ويقول: «قبر موسى الكاظم ترياقٌ مجرب لإجابة الدعاء » (كرامات الأولياء للسجاعي/6، والرسالة القشيرية لابن هوازن/10، والفجر الصادق للزهاوي/89 ، وسيوف الله للقادري الحبيبي/83 ، والبصائر/42 لحمد الله الداجوي الحنفي).

وروى الخطيب البغدادي في تاريخه:1/133، عن إمام الحنابلة في عصره الحسن بن إبراهيم أبا علي الخلال يقول: « ما همني أمر فقصدت قبر موسى بن جعفر فتوسلت به ، إلا سهل الله تعالى لي ما أحب » !

وقال ابن الصباغ المالكي في الفصول المهمة:2/932: «وهو المعروف عند أهل العراق بباب الحوائج إلى الله ، وذلك لنجح قضاء حوائج المسلمين ، ونيل مطالبهم وبلوغ مآربهم وحصول مقاصدهم ».

وقال السيد الميلاني في شرح منهاج الكرامة:1/170: «وقال القرماني : هو الإمام الكبير الأوحد الحجة ، الساهر ليله قائماً القاطع نهاره صائماً ، المسمى لفرط حلمه وتجاوزه عن المعتدين كاظماً ، وهو المعروف بباب الحوائج ، لأنه ما خاب المتوسل به في قضاء حاجته قط .

وقال ابن حجر المكي: هو وارث أبيه علماً ومعرفةً وكمالاً وفضلاً ، سمي الكاظم لكثرة تجاوزه وحلمه ، وكان معروفاً عند أهل العراق بباب قضاء الحوائج عند الله ، وكان أعبد أهل زمانه ، وأعلمهم وأسخاهم .

وقال ابن الجوزي: موسى بن جعفر ، كان يدعى العبد الصالح ، وكان حليماً كريماً ، إذا بلغه عن رجل ما يؤذيه بعث إليه بمال » .

وفي مناقب آل أبي طالب:3/422: « وحكي أنه مُغص بعض الخلفاء فعجز بختيشوع النصراني عن دوائه ، وأخذ جليداً فأذابه بدواء ، ثم أخذ ماء وعقده بدواء ، وقال:هذا الطب ، إلا أن يكون مستجاب دعاء ذا منزلة عند الله يدعو لك !

فقال الخليفة: عليَّ بموسى بن جعفر، فأتيَ به فسمع في الطريق أنينه فدعا الله سبحانه وزال مغص الخليفة ، فقال له: بحق جدك المصطفى أن تقول بمَ دعوت لي؟ فقال (عليه السلام) : قلتُ: اللهم كما أريته ذل معصيته ، فأره عز طاعتي » !

-----------------------------------------

He had many other titles, titles have nothing to do with hadiths :

يكنى بأبي الحسن الأول ، وهي أشهر كناه ، كما يكنى بأبي الحسن الماضي ، وأبي إبراهيم ، وأبي علي ، وأبي إسماعيل .

وأما القابه : فله ألقاب كثيرة منها الكاظم وهو أشهرها ، لما ظهر منه (ع) من كظم الغيظ والحلم والصبر ، ومنها العبدالصالح ، والنفس الزكية ، وزين المجتهدين ، وباب الحوائج ،. و الوفي ، والصابر ، والأمين ،

والزاهر ، والطيب ، والصالح ، والسيد ، والمأمون .

you will find teh answer in history books , not in hadith books and you will see if you look unless your ego prevented you

He had many other titles, titles have nothing to do with hadiths :

I agree that in general titles do not necessarily need to be backed up by ahadith (although clearly it makes sense to make use of those titles than can be backed up in that way rather than the ones that can't), however if someone is going to make theological points based on a title, as people do with the title of Bab ul Hawaij, then there needs to be a hadith to back it up. You can't just give someone this title, and then say that since it's well known that this person is the door to fulfilling needs, then it's ok to ask them for your needs.

you will find teh answer in history books , not in hadith books and you will see if you look unless your ego prevented you

What use is a history book that isn't drawing on narrations?

U will ask for another week then make a thread "they are not babul hawaij u see" because no one on shiachat gave me a hadees.

If there is no proof from the Imams (as) that they are Babul Hawaij, then why would anyone say that they were? That makes no sense. Doesn't it make more sense to wait until you see evidence of something before asserting that it's true?

What if one day you may ask where is a Hadees which says Imam Hussain(as) is Syed ul Shuhda?

But we know He is.

There have always been reasons behind these titles,people find them doors of fulfilling Hajaat in their lives as well as after death,everything in the world does n't need explanations.

Edited by Kaniz e Zahra

Thankfully the sneakier trolls are being sussed out by more and more people on SC every day, dressing questions as a quest for knowledge whilst constantly trying to disparage elements of Shi'ah Islam.

ALI

lol.intellectually curiousity my _____. The man has no other motive then to create doubts in the imaan of the weaker people especially since Shiachat is frequented by reverts and youths.

Edited by Logic

lol.intellectually curiousity my _____. The man has no other motive then to create doubts in the imaan of the weaker people especially since Shiachat is frequented by reverts and youths.

Care to explain the link between being a revert or a youth, and having weak imaan?

Care to explain the link between being a revert or a youth, and having weak imaan?

Are you asking me for a thesis or a study? Cause none of those exist however its common observation by seeing the sunday school candidates on a weekly basis.

Sorry i couldn't come up with a wikipedia link.

If we look at what reverts and the youth have in common compared to older 'born Muslims', it's that they have usually not had as much time to be indoctrinated with various beliefs, and are therefore more willing to question them. Probably what you see as weak imaan is nothing more than a willingness to challenge the status quo.

That's why reverts make such easy targets for the salafi dawah brigade in various colleges and universities. Spent many youth nights together as well to say that your view point is not factual.

The people who keep complaining every time evidence is asked for a certain belief or practice are only showing how weak the foundations of their whole belief system really is. Those who are secure in their beliefs don't mind providing evidence when it is asked of them.

That's just BS.

Who exactly are you asking from? Go devote this time to your local aalim and ask him. Spend some time with the learned people and gain their knowledge. In my opinion you found perfect breeding grounds on this forum for you to spew your nonsense without being challenged.

Lets be honest for a minute.. For the past few month you have been popping threads challenging mainstream shia beliefs under the guise of reform. Over and over again you are coming with unsatisfactory answers. This should be enough to tell you that maybe you are playing in the shallow end of the pool, yet you persist. Why?

What unsatisfactory answers? Just because you might think that, it doesn't imply this is how most people are seeing it. Personally, I think many of my threads gave rise to very interesting discussions, regardless of which side of the fence you are on regarding certain issues. The problem with you is that you are too biased to actually properly appreciate what other people have to say, and automatically view anything that strays to far from your own beliefs as 'nonsense'.

Whether or not many people agree with me on the issues I've brought up, I'm sure it has led several of them to think a bit more carefully about their beliefs, and why it is they believe what they do. I can't see how this can be a bad thing.

To be honest, I don't quite understand what exactly your problem is. Does it bother you that I ask questions? Or that I present my own point of view? Do you want everyone that doesn't fully sign up to the current status quo to be silenced?

What unsatisfactory answers? Just because you might think that, it doesn't imply this is how most people are seeing it. Personally, I think many of my threads gave rise to very interesting discussions, regardless of which side of the fence you are on regarding certain issues. The problem with you is that you are too biased to actually properly appreciate what other people have to say, and automatically view anything that strays to far from your own beliefs as 'nonsense'.

Since your view is contrary to our current mujtahids its is automatically deemed as nonsense.Just because you have read a translated website does not give you the authority to make useless threads.

Whether or not many people agree with me on the issues I've brought up, I'm sure it has led several of them to think a bit more carefully about their beliefs, and why it is they believe what they do. I can't see how this can be a bad thing.

You have done nothing but created doubts in their mind. To me this doubt is akin to a disease.

To be honest, I don't quite understand what exactly your problem is. Does it bother you that I ask questions? Or that I present my own point of view? Do you want everyone that doesn't fully sign up to the current status quo to be silenced?

Questions are asked by those who dont know. You have made it clear that you have your own set of skewed knowledge.

Point of view doesnt bother me - If it did i would be posting a lot more in Shia-Sunni

My issue is that you wear the guise of reformation yet present views that run contrary to our ulemas.

Anyway, since you are such a defender of free speech then you shouldnt have a problem with my opinion of you and where i post it.

Since your view is contrary to our current mujtahids its is automatically deemed as nonsense.Just because you have read a translated website does not give you the authority to make useless threads.

Wow. By that logic anything written by earlier scholars that contradicts current mujtahids should also be deemed as nonsense.

Since when do people need authority to make threads? Useless or otherwise?

You have done nothing but created doubts in their mind. To me this doubt is akin to a disease.

If what I post is such obvious nonsense, then how could it possibly create any doubts? Maybe those with strong imaan, like you presumably, did a better job of responding to my threads, then nobody would have any doubts. If indeed such doubts even exist.

Questions are asked by those who dont know. You have made it clear that you have your own set of skewed knowledge.

I'm not sure what this means. I genuinely don't know if there are any ahadith on this. If I knew that there weren't, then I would just state it, which surely would be much more effective in 'spreading doubts'.

Point of view doesnt bother me - If it did i would be posting a lot more in Shia-Sunni

That's not really how it comes across.

My issue is that you wear the guise of reformation yet present views that run contrary to our ulemas.

What guise of reformation? I'm not doing any 'reforming' here. Where have you seen me describe myself as a reformer?

As for whether my views run contrary to the current `ulama, who cares? I doubt many people here, even among those who do taqleed, would wish to sign up to your version of blind following of the scholars in all areas of Islam. Remember that there is supposedly no taqleed in `aqeeda.

Anyway, since you are such a defender of free speech then you shouldnt have a problem with my opinion of you and where i post it.

I don't care. To be honest, I think you do a good enough job exposing yourself as the crybaby that you are, and you probably do your cause more harm than good, since most people don't like to position themselves on the side of being against questioning things.

I agree that in general titles do not necessarily need to be backed up by ahadith (although clearly it makes sense to make use of those titles than can be backed up in that way rather than the ones that can't), however if someone is going to make theological points based on a title, as people do with the title of Bab ul Hawaij, then there needs to be a hadith to back it up. You can't just give someone this title, and then say that since it's well known that this person is the door to fulfilling needs, then it's ok to ask them for your needs.

What use is a history book that isn't drawing on narrations?

If there is no proof from the Imams (as) that they are Babul Hawaij, then why would anyone say that they were? That makes no sense. Doesn't it make more sense to wait until you see evidence of something before asserting that it's true?

he is bab hitta

just because you dont belive in tawassul dosnt mean other didnt or dont

lol this is so narcissistic , do you think that because you dont see it fitting for our Imam to be called bab alhwa'ij or that people shouldnt had ask him after his death , do you think that your opinion today should change the history of what had been done ?

i am certain that Imam Kadhim has been called bab alhwa'ij for teh last 10 years and that people been visiting his grave to ask him their needs << with me being the narrator of this fact , what are we going to do to make it fit with your opinions ?

Edited by Chaotic Muslem

Didn't really want to get involved in this but...

There is nothing wrong with expressing your opinions your challenging the staus quo as long as it is done in respectful manner.

Am I not generally respectful? If I'm not, then I'll try harder to be in future, insha'Allah.

The problem however arises when people see your posts and begin to doubt what they were taught and in extreme situations can't deal with the new information and leave Islam all together (something which I think was witnessed with one of the members in the slavery in Islam thread). That said though, this is an open discussion forum and people should know to double check everything they read before they accept it.

Maybe they doubt what they were taught because what they were taught was incorrect or has no solid foundation.

As for the case of AliSaleh, who supposedly apostatised due to me, he had several major problems with Islam, and I can't be held responsible for his unwillingness to accept facts that everyone agrees on. If I posted anything that was inaccurate, then anyone is free to correct me at any time. People need to realise though that he was unwilling to accept slavery in any way, shape, or form. Regardless of time or circumstances. So to him the fact that the Qur'an allowed slavery in some form was sufficient for him to leave. What would people have had me do? Lie about what was in the Qur'an?

To be honest, if you were really aiming to guide people astray I'm sure you would have been banned by now.

-_-

Well, you would think that I'd at least ahve been warned, or someone would have had a quiet word with me. Strangely, that has never happened. I've also noticed that no Shia on here with at least half a brain has ever accused me of being a secret Wahhabi. It always seems to be the hot-headed dimwits that do that.

he is bab hitta

just because you dont belive in tawassul dosnt mean other didnt or dont

lol this is so narcissistic , do you think that because you dont see it fitting for our Imam to be called bab alhwa'ij or that people shouldnt had ask him after his death , do you think that your opinion today should change the history of what had been done ?

i am certain that Imam Kadhim has been called bab alhwa'ij for teh last 10 years and that people been visiting his grave to ask him their needs << with me being the narrator of this fact , what are we going to do to make it fit with your opinions ?

What are you talking about? I'm asking whether there are any ahadith from either himself or later Imams (as) giving him this title, using this title, or letting this title being used in their presence. Are there or not? I'm not interested in how long this title has been used, or how common it is. The same goes for the other six individuals that have been given this title.

If there are no ahadith related to the Imams (as) on this, then the next best thing would be to know what the earliest recorded usage of this title was.

An interesting point to note is that Shaykh Mufeed in Kitab al-Irshad does not attribute this title to him, instead only giving al-`Abd al-Salih and al-Kadhim. I don't know whether this indicates that the title was not in wide usage during his time or not.

Wow. By that logic anything written by earlier scholars that contradicts current mujtahids should also be deemed as nonsense.

Since when do people need authority to make threads? Useless or otherwise?

This is pure jibber jabber...The earlier scholars are not here to defend their work and you havent read all of their work to come to this conclusion as of yet. However it goes without saying that when you have a giant like Al-Khui who taught classes of qualified graduates saying something contrary and your like just dismiss it without having any background credibility.

If what I post is such obvious nonsense, then how could it possibly create any doubts? Maybe those with strong imaan, like you presumably, did a better job of responding to my threads, then nobody would have any doubts. If indeed such doubts even exist.

Like i said the current scholars have done so. Repetition is not required. If further clarification is needed then ask your local Aalim.

I'm not sure what this means. I genuinely don't know if there are any ahadith on this. If I knew that there weren't, then I would just state it, which surely would be much more effective in 'spreading doubts'

I am not talking about this thread in specific instead its a common theme.

What guise of reformation? I'm not doing any 'reforming' here. Where have you seen me describe myself as a reformer?

As for whether my views run contrary to the current `ulama, who cares? I doubt many people here, even among those who do taqleed, would wish to sign up to your version of blind following of the scholars in all areas of Islam. Remember that there is supposedly no taqleed in `aqeeda.

Oh yeah! we know there is no taqleed in Aqeeda genius however their view is grounded in knowledge. Can you say the same cause i mostly see you posting views of a history book (kitab irshad) and Najhul Balagha.

An interesting point to note is that Shaykh Mufeed in Kitab al-Irshad does not attribute this title to him, instead only giving al-`Abd al-Salih and al-Kadhim. I don't know whether this indicates that the title was not in wide usage during his time or not.

Nothing interesting about this point at all!

half of Kitab ul Irshad is on Imam Ali (as) the remaining half is divided between the 11 imams. How much info you think will be crammed about this.

Using Google to research hadith and C&P does not make you a scholar in real. Online this kind of tactic works, i guess. If others really wish to get educated sincerely then the best approach is to ask/read on your own instead of forming an opinion based on half baked posts.

Well, you would think that I'd at least ahve been warned, or someone would have had a quiet word with me. Strangely, that has never happened. I've also noticed that no Shia on here with at least half a brain has ever accused me of being a secret Wahhabi. It always seems to be the hot-headed dimwits that do that.

I am so glad you mentioned this..

Regardless of what others think you have not bought any new talking point to the table. There is no original thinking involved instead we are seeing the same garbage seen from Salafi youtube/forum posts being spread from a shia. You have not shown any indication of possessing knowledge which is the core of my problem.

This is pure jibber jabber...The earlier scholars are not here to defend their work and you havent read all of their work to come to this conclusion as of yet. However it goes without saying that when you have a giant like Al-Khui who taught classes of qualified graduates saying something contrary and your like just dismiss it without having any background credibility.

The likes of al-Khoei wouldn't disagree that the early scholars had different beliefs on some issues. This is pretty obvious unless someone wants to believe that their works have been tampered with. Anyway, the point isn't whether or not they did contradict, but that you would have to hold them to the same standard. Somehow, I doubt you would be very consistent in doing that though...

Like i said the current scholars have done so. Repetition is not required. If further clarification is needed then ask your local Aalim.

Can I ask what you are even doing on ShiaChat with this kind of attitude? Most of the forums on this site might as well be closed down, since everyone would be better off referring to the current scholars.

Instead of just stating that current scholars have done all this, why don't you quote them and help out those poor youths and reverts that I am apparently busy misguiding? Is insulting me more worthy of your time than that? Perhaps the problem is that you don't actually know how to answer any of these questions, you just assume they have been answered by current scholars, and are content with that.

Someone once directed me to the writings of a modern scholar on one of the issues I was discussing, and I made a thread on my response to that work, which I didn't find very impressive.

I am not talking about this thread in specific instead its a common theme.

For example?

Oh yeah! we know there is no taqleed in Aqeeda genius however their view is grounded in knowledge. Can you say the same cause i mostly see you posting views of a history book (kitab irshad) and Najhul Balagha.

Obviously my knowledge is nowhere comparable to that of a marja, however having great knowledge doesn't imply that a person is always right. There are non-Muslims who have far greater knowledge of Islam than you, but I doubt you would consider that they are more on haqq than you are.

Nothing interesting about this point at all!

half of Kitab ul Irshad is on Imam Ali (as) the remaining half is divided between the 11 imams. How much info you think will be crammed about this.

Pathetic excuse. When a title such as that is given to someone, and you believe in it, then it is not the kind of thing you fail to mention. Modern writers often say that it is the Imams' greatest title, which is pretty obvious. Anyway, according to Chaotic Muslem, the earliest record of this title was 800 AH, which would be several centuries after the time of Shaykh Mufeed, so it makes sense that he didn't mention it.

Using Google to research hadith and C&P does not make you a scholar in real. Online this kind of tactic works, i guess. If others really wish to get educated sincerely then the best approach is to ask/read on your own instead of forming an opinion based on half baked posts.

I never claimed to be a scholar. You seem to be fond of knocking down strawmen.

Regardless of what others think you have not bought any new talking point to the table. There is no original thinking involved instead we are seeing the same garbage seen from Salafi youtube/forum posts being spread from a shia.

I don't claim to be original. I doubt that after over 1400 years of Islamic history that anyone is now going to say anything new, let alone me.

You have not shown any indication of possessing knowledge which is the core of my problem.

And you have shown indications of possessing knowledge?

(salam)

(bismillah)

I had researched this a while ago, and the first time I see baab al-Hawaa'ij being used in Shee`ah books is in Ibn Shahrashoub's (d. 558 AH) al-Manaaqib, vol. 4, pg. 323. It is not in hadeeth, rather he is talking about a graveyard and how it became Baab al-Hawaa'ij.

موسى بن جعفر الكاظم الإمام العالم كنيته أبو الحسن الأول و أبو الحسن الماضي و أبو إبراهيم و أبو علي و يعرف بالعبد الصالح و النفس الزكية و زين المجتهدين و الوفي و الصابر و الأمين و الزاهر و سمي بذلك لأنه زهر بأخلاقه الشريفة و كرمه المضي التام. و سمي الكاظم لما كظمه من الغيظ و غض بصره عما فعله الظالمون به حتى مضى قتيلا في حبسهم و الكاظم الممتلي خوفا و حزنا و منه كظم قربته إذا شد رأسها و الكاظمة البئر الضيقة و السقاية المملوة. و قال الربيع بن عبد الرحمن كان و الله من المتوسمين فيعلم من يقف عليه بعد موته و يكظم غيظه عليهم و لا يبدي لهم ما يعرفه منهم فلذلك سمي الكاظم. و كان ع أزهر إلا في الغيظ لحرارة مزاجه ربع تمام خضر حالك كث اللحية. و كان أفقه أهل زمانه و أحفظهم لكتاب الله و أحسنهم صوتا بالقرآن فكان إذا قرأ يحزن و بكى و بكى السامعون لتلاوته. و كان أجل الناس شأنا و أعلاهم في الدين مكانا و أسخاهم بنانا و أفصحهم لسانا و أشجعهم جنانا قد خص بشرف الولاية و حاز إرث النبوة و بوئ محل الخلافة سليل النبوة و عقيد الخلافة. أمه حميدة المصفاة ابنة صاعد البربري و يقال إنها أندلسية أم ولد تكنى لؤلؤة. ولد ع بالأبواء موضع بين مكة و المدينة يوم الأحد لسبع خلون من صفر سنة ثمان و عشرين و مائة. و كان في سني إمامته بقية ملك المنصور ثم ملك المهدي عشر سنين و شهرا و أياما ثم ملك الهادي سنة و خمسة عشر يوما ثم ملك الرشيد ثلاث و عشرين سنة و شهرين و سبعة عشر يوما. و بعد مضي خمس عشرة سنة من ملك الرشيد استشهد مسموما في حبس الرشيد على يدي السندي بن شاهك يوم الجمعة لست بقين من رجب و قيل لخمس خلون من رجب سنة ثلاث و ثمانين و مائة و قيل سنة ست و ثمانين. و كان مقامه مع أبيه عشرين سنة و يقال تسع عشرة سنة و بعد أبيه أيام إمامته خمس و ثلاثون سنة و قام بالأمر و له عشرون سنة و دفن ببغداد بالجانب الغربي في المقبرة المعروفة بمقابر قريش من باب التين فصارت باب الحوائج و عاش أربعا و خمسين سنة

(salam)

Edited by Nader Zaveri

Salam.

We have narrations saying that the Imam's (as) are باب الله - Door of Allah.

And the following words also have come up in narrations, باب الله الذى لا يؤتي الا منه - Door of Allah, who does not give but from it

Here is one narration.

حدثنا احمد بن محمد وعبد الله عامر عن محمد بن سنان عن المفضل بن عمر الجعفي قال سمعت ابا عبد الله عليه السلام يقول فضل امير المؤمنين ما جاء به النبي صلى الله عليه وآله اخذ به وما نهى عنه انتهى عنه جرى له من الفضل ما جرى لمحمد صلى الله عليه وآله ولمحمد الفضل على جميع من خلق الله المتعقب عليه في شئ من احكامه آالمتعقب على الله وعلى رسوله الراد عليه في صغيرة أو آبيرة على حد الشرك بالله آان امير المؤمنين باب الله الذى لا يؤتي الا منه وسبيله الذى من سلك بغيره هلك وآذلك جرى على الائمة الهدى واحدا بعد واحد جعلهم الله ارآان الارض ان تميد باهلها والحجة البالغة من فوق الارض ومن تحت الثرى

It has been narrated to us by Ahmad bin Muhammad, and Abdullah Aamir, from Muhammad Bin Sinan, from Al-MufazzAl-Bin Umar Al-Ju’fy who said: I heard Abu Abdullah (as) say:

Give preference to Amir-ul-Momineen (as) of what the Prophet (saww) came with, take to it, and what He has forbidden, stay away from it. What happened for Him from the preference is what happened for Muhammad (saww), and for Muhammad (saww) is the preference over the whole of creation of Allah سبحانه وتعالى. The pursuance to Him in something from the judgements is like pursuing to Allah (swt) and to His Messenger (saww). And not giving preference to Him in matters small or great is liking reaching the limit of association with Allah (swt) (Al-Shirk Billah). Amir-ul-Momineen (as) is the Door of Allah (swt) and Allah (swt) does not Give out except from it, and He is His Path which, one must take, travelling on any other path leads to destruction, and the same is the case with the Imam's (as) of Guidance, one after the other. Allah (swt) Made them to be the Pillars of the Earth, stabilizing it by Them, and They are the speaking Proof (of Allahazwj) above the Earth and below the Throne’.

[source: Basaari Al-Darjaat, Vol. 4, Chapter. 9, Hadees. 3]

As for the Imam's (as) being the باب حط - Door of repentance, with reference to the verse of the Holy Quran,

وَادْخُلُوا الْبَابَ سُجَّدًا وَقُولُوا حِطَّةٌ نَّغْفِرْ لَكُمْ خَطَايَاكُمْ

"And enter the door prostrate and say “Repentance”, We will forgive you your sins" [2:58]

روي عن الباقر (عليه السلام) أنه قال نحن باب حطتكم

Narrated from Imam Baqir (as) and He (as) said, "We are the door of Hittah (Repentance) for you"

[source: Tafseer e Majm'a Al-Bayan, Vol. 1, Pg. 210]

http://www.marefatea...qara-2/verse-58

Edited by muhibb-ali