Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  

Rate this topic

I was wondering, what exactly is the shaytan. I believe he is a jinn but surely he must be more than just that. I remember reading somewhere that when a man is alone with a woman the shaytan is the third "person" there. Yet, I'm sure there are bound to be cases where two couples (that's two men and two woman) are together, separately (such as in different countries). So how is the shaytan with both couples at the same time. He's just a jinn after all right?

Salams

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but thought i would send a couple hadith on the shaytan.

Imam Baqir a.s. narrated that his Noble Father, Imam Sadiq a.s. said:

'Satan, the enemy of Allah groaned four times in utter desperation.

This occurred on the day that he was cursed by Allah, the day he was sent down to earth, the day the Prophet Mohammad was appointed as Prophet and the Day of Ghadeer'.

(Forty Traditions on the Ghadir pg 81 and Qarbol Isnad 10)

Imam Sadiq a.s. said:

'There are three first fathers:

Adam who had a believing son,

Yahya who had both a beleiving and an infidel son,

and shaytan who had an infidel offspring who does not reproduce in the usual. They lay eggs and a new male is produced. There are no females in their line'.

(al Khisal Saduq pg 260, #3-186)

Imam Ali a.s. said, condemning those who folow the shaytan:

'They have taken shaytan as the controller for their affairs, and he has in turn adopted them as his partners (used them in his traps).

He has laid eggs and hatched them i their chests, and crawled into their laps, until he saw through their eyes and spoke with their tongues.

Thus does he lead them to commit errors and glamorizes their own foolish deeds to them,l like the act of one who shaytan has made partner i his domain, speaking lies through his tongue'.

(The Scale of Wisdom ~ Rayshahri,pg 569, #3255 and Nahj al Balagha Sermon 37)

The Prophet Mohammad a.s. said:

'Refrain from the color red, for it is the most favorite ornament of the shaytan'.

(Nahj al Fasaha ~Peak of Rhetoric ~Maxims of the Holy Prohet Mohammad, transl. Dstjerdi, pg 233, #1641)

shaytan and iblis are not names but attributes , the first means roughly the deviant whilst the second means the hopless (one who lost anyy hope in Allah's mercy)

i think the shytan ( the alpha one) has followers and kids , they might all play same role <<< my guess

he (the main shytan) was a jinn , very pious one , he worshipped Allah for thousands of years , his sujood lasts thousands of years

he reached a high position that when angels were called to do sujood to adam , he was included

he refused to be under the khilafah of adam and thus was cursed for his arrogance

but for his worship, he was rewarded teh eternity and the power over humans thoughts , sorta

shaytan and iblis are not names but attributes , the first means roughly the deviant whilst the second means the hopless (one who lost anyy hope in Allah's mercy)

i think the shytan ( the alpha one) has followers and kids , they might all play same role <<< my guess

he (the main shytan) was a jinn , very pious one , he worshipped Allah for thousands of years , his sujood lasts thousands of years

he reached a high position that when angels were called to do sujood to adam , he was included

he refused to be under the khilafah of adam and thus was cursed for his arrogance

but for his worship, he was rewarded teh eternity and the power over humans thoughts , sorta

I've heard from several sources that, for his worship, Satan was given eternal life (in fact I heard he asked for it and his wish was accepted) but this is the first time I've heard that Satan has asked for power over human thoughts. Is this just your opinion or is this a fact. And if it is a fact, did you get it from a reliable source? It's just that this is a question that's been nagging me a bit recently lol I'd like a definitive answer.

I've heard from several sources that, for his worship, Satan was given eternal life (in fact I heard he asked for it and his wish was accepted) but this is the first time I've heard that Satan has asked for power over human thoughts. Is this just your opinion or is this a fact. And if it is a fact, did you get it from a reliable source? It's just that this is a question that's been nagging me a bit recently lol I'd like a definitive answer.

ah good that you have asked :donno: i got that info from a place i dont know where , might be from quraan , might be a messed up info in my trashy memeory sorry

قَالَ رَبِّ فَأَنْظِرْنِي إِلَىٰ يَوْمِ يُبْعَثُونَ {36}

[Shakir 15:36] He said: My Lord! then respite me till the time when they are raised.

قَالَ فَإِنَّكَ مِنَ الْمُنْظَرِينَ {37}

[Shakir 15:37] He said: So surely you are of the respited ones

إِلَىٰ يَوْمِ الْوَقْتِ الْمَعْلُومِ {38}

[Shakir 15:38] Till the period of the time made known.

قَالَ رَبِّ بِمَا أَغْوَيْتَنِي لَأُزَيِّنَنَّ لَهُمْ فِي الْأَرْضِ وَلَأُغْوِيَنَّهُمْ أَجْمَعِينَ {39}

[Shakir 15:39] He said: My Lord! because Thou hast made life evil to me, I will certainly make (evil) fair-seeming to them on earth, and I will certainly cause them all to deviate

إِلَّا عِبَادَكَ مِنْهُمُ الْمُخْلَصِينَ {40}

[Shakir 15:40] Except Thy servants from among them, the devoted ones.

قَالَ هَٰذَا صِرَاطٌ عَلَيَّ مُسْتَقِيمٌ {41}

[Shakir 15:41] He said: This is a right way with Me:

إِنَّ عِبَادِي لَيْسَ لَكَ عَلَيْهِمْ سُلْطَانٌ إِلَّا مَنِ اتَّبَعَكَ مِنَ الْغَاوِينَ {42}

[Shakir 15:42] Surely. as regards My servants, you have no authority ,over them except those who follow you of the deviators.

وَإِنَّ جَهَنَّمَ لَمَوْعِدُهُمْ أَجْمَعِينَ {43}

[Shakir 15:43] And surely Hell is the promised place of them all:

(bismillah)

(salam)

There is a book called Isti'adha: Seeking Allah's Protection from Satan in the Ethics/Self Development Forum. http://www.shiachat....hics-book-list/

Also online. http://www.al-islam.org/istiadha/

come to think of it satan could very well be insansal-quwah al-wahmiyah, iblis was a jinn and imagination is just that ( i am a jinn nation ) he misguides mankind thru thier faculty of imagination.

now imagine that :P

I'm sure there are bound to be cases where two couples (that's two men and two woman) are together, separately (such as in different countries). So how is the shaytan with both couples at the same time.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Satan has helpers. Qur'an mentions Shayateen. The first time a person commits a sin, he is fearful. The second time, the fear is less. The third time it is almost easy. A person can plunge so far into sin that Satan does not even need to be near him. The evil thought is already embedded in his mind and he does whatever he wishes. May Allah SWT protect us from evil.

I was wondering, what exactly is the shaytan. I believe he is a jinn but surely he must be more than just that. I remember reading somewhere that when a man is alone with a woman the shaytan is the third "person" there. Yet, I'm sure there are bound to be cases where two couples (that's two men and two woman) are together, separately (such as in different countries). So how is the shaytan with both couples at the same time. He's just a jinn after all right?

(salam)

In my unlearned opinion, shaytan can be present at different locations in the same way that the angel in charge of taking souls (Izraeel/The angel of death) can be in thousands of places at the same split second. Or the same way that Rasul (saw) can be present when so many people are buried, and they are asked "man hadha?" i.e who is THIS? indicating that he (saw) will be present at the time the question is asked. Another way of looking at it is that his (shaytan's) influence is present whenever a man and woman are alone.

Hope that helps :)

(wasalam)