Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
mohammad_mahdi

Bit Of An Unorthodox Idea...

Rate this topic

Mind you i'm new to this site, but i haven't come across a topic which dealt with the SIMILARITIES that people have. A lot of discussions deal with how dissimilar our points of view can be, and the main air of the convo seems to be to push one's ideology over someone else's. I thought it would be a breath of fresh air to have a thread where people first jotted down the similarities all schools of thought in Islam had with each other. After that we can expand with similarities all schools of thought (period. ie inside and outside Islam) have with each other.

I'll start with the first similar in all schools of thought in Islam. I think it's fair to say we all believe in Allah's (SWT) INFINITE Mercy, and that when we say He created us and jinn to worship Him, It is a branching of the concept that worshipping God is Mercy manifested in it's purest form.

Right, let's see what else you guys will come up with....

The Quran. We all seems to agree on the content for the most part even thought the tafsir/interpretation might differ significantly.

Although some Sunnis seem to believe that Shias believe there is another Quran or the current version of the Quran is incomplete, etc. I'm tired of clearing up this misconception.

We have one Prophet pbuh. We forget this point and start to quarel each other on people who were some how related to Prophet pbuh while the center qualifying factor should be the prophet pbuh. Every one who was close to prophet and remained loyal to him should be respected and who were his open or hidden enemies should be rejected. It is simple deal. Is not it? :-D

The Doctrine of Islam

Muslims summarize their doctrine in six articles of faith:

1. Belief in one Allah: Muslims believe Allah is one, eternal, creator, and sovereign.

2. Belief in the angels

3. Belief in the prophets

4. Belief in the revelations of Allah

5. Belief in the last day of judgment and the hereafter

6. Belief in predestination: Muslims believe Allah has decreed everything that will happen. Muslims testify to Allah’s sovereignty with their frequent phrase, inshallah, meaning, “if God wills.”

6. Belief in predestination: Muslims believe Allah has decreed everything that will happen. Muslims testify to Allah’s sovereignty with their frequent phrase, inshallah, meaning, “if God wills.”

This is wrong, in Shi`a Islam we believe some things to be pre destined and other things to be done out of free will

For pre destined things e.g. which family we are born in, when we are born (and more things aswell) are predestined by Allah (swt)

For free will e.g. when we commit haraam acts it is out of our free will, when we decide to pray it is out of our own free will (and more things out of our own free will)

It only makes logical sense that our actions are done out of free will, because if our actions were pre destined then that means Allah (swt) chose what actions we do which would mean it wouldn't be just of him to then punish us on what he has made us do

Edited by Shia_Debater

This is wrong, in Shi`a Islam we believe some things to be pre destined and other things to be done out of free will

For pre destined things e.g. which family we are born in, when we are born (and more things aswell) are predestined by Allah (swt)

For free will e.g. when we commit haraam acts it is out of our free will, when we decide to pray it is out of our own free will (and more things out of our own free will)

It only makes logical sense that our actions are done out of free will, because if our actions were pre destined then that means Allah (swt) chose what actions we do which would mean it wouldn't be just of him to then punish us on what he has made us do

I agree with you on that but I think here predestination obviously refers to things which are out of our free will.

A man asked the Imam the very same question about how much of this life is free will and how much is predestination. To answer the man's question the Imam told him 'lift your foot up', and the man lifted his foot up, and then the Imam said 'lift your other foot up' to which the man said he couldn't do that. The Imam said 'this is the ratio of free will to predestination'. our actions are the part we control, and as shia-debator said, which family we're born in, what diseases we'll contract etc are predestination.

How about we go back to the theme of the topic. I'll add another point as say all muslims believe in a reformer (under the banner of Al Mahdi) will come at the end of time to reform society and manifest Allah's Word over all others. We always seem to focus on the details which are different

(bismillah)

(salam)

In addition to what everyone else said, we have the same Qiblah, Hajj, calendar, Holy Month of Ramadan and fasting, etc.